Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
4 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  22 mins ago
 Matt3k:  32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  41 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  44 mins ago
 pixie:  47 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  More Good News
Register To Post

PosterThread
damocles 
More Good News
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 15:36:24
#1 ]

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/2-welcome-mat/11285-some-more-good-news-to-end-2011#11285

Profile     Report this post  
redrumloa 
Re: More Good News
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 15:52:43
#2 ]
Cult Member

@damocles

And this post is censored from the front page on "Amigaworld" displaying a boingball, go figure. There is just so much fuel in this and the likely repercussions to come.

So how does this affect websites unfriendly to CUSA? How does this affect Companies like A-Eon and AmigaKit who have been using the Boingball logo?

We've known a sh**storm was coming, it will start right after my post.

$225 total spent!

CritAnime 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 15:57:22
#3 ]
Cult Member

@redrumloa

No #### storm from me. No wild rants. Only the same question as you. How does this effect the other sites using all this.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

number6 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:15:57
#4 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

You do realize that the boing ball is non-exclusive right?

redrumloa 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:27:27
#5 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@redrumloa

You do realize that the boing ball is non-exclusive right?

That would make more sense, but the post from Barry states exclusive.

On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower, AIO/ Keyboard etc.

Sounds like they are saying exclusive to me.

$225 total spent!

number6 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:30:28
#6 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball,

But A-EON/Acube are not branding with the Amiga trademark IP, so I clearly see this as distinctly different.

this summary still seems up to date to me

Last edited by number6 on 30-Dec-2011 at 04:34 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:38:22
#7 ]

@redrumloa

Quote:
So how does this affect websites unfriendly to CUSA? How does this affect Companies like A-Eon and AmigaKit who have been using the Boingball logo?

We've known a sh**storm was coming, it will start right after my post.

that's an excellent question. if what dammy has shared is true, and there is no reason to suspect otherwise, then web sites using amiga-related marks could be threatened by CUSA should CUSA wish to do so. i think it would be horribly petty and wrong, but legally, they would be within their rights.

as for A-EON and other firms working with hyperion to produce or market OS4 or hardware running OS4, that's easier. in the settlement the parties agreed:

Quote:
Solely for the purposes of marketing, distributing and making available AmigaOS 4 and any hardware required or desired to operate with AmigaOS 4, the Amiga Parties grant Hyperion an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide and royalty-free, transferable right and license to use the Exclusive Licensed Marks, and a nonexclusive, perpetual, worldwide and royalty-free, transferable right and license to use the "Boing Ball" logo mark.

hyperion and its partners have an exclusive right to four marks (specifically 'AmigaOS,' 'Amiga OS,' 'AmigaOne,' and 'Amiga One') and a non-exclusive right to the 'boing ball' mark. in theory they could argue that the community sites are a necessary adjunct to their marketing efforts and license it to AWN and others, but i can't imagine they would do that. for one thing it would taint the perceived objectivity of the sites' management teams and secondly would enjoin hyperion in a legal mess they wouldn't want any part in.

personally i don't see the big deal. i hate to think someone like CUSA ends up with the brand after all of these years, but then again, it's probably better than the brand being used to flog televisions or snowman maker or the like. at least CUSA are producing computers with it.

i would also hope that hyperion and its partners really coalesce around the amigaone brand, if nothing else to differentiate their offerings from amiga-branded PCs. if you want a PC with the amiga brand, then you go to CUSA; if you want a system descended from the original platform, you go with an amigaone.

let's hope people don't overreact. and although i don't like where they're heading with the brand, i should at least congratulate barry on his coup. others could have attempted the same thing but didn't. i wish him luck with the brand -- and hope he doesn't use this agreement as an anvil to wield over the heads of those who disagree with him.

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:41:56
#8 ]

@redrumloa

Quote:
That would make more sense, but the post from Barry states exclusive.

On Dec 22, 2011 Commodore USA, LLC and Amiga Inc. signed a new contract granting us EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE rights to ALL format computers branded with the Amiga trademark IP. These registered trademarked logos include the BOING Ball, TIC/Check mark, letter A and the word AMIGA logos. Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower, AIO/ Keyboard etc.

Sounds like they are saying exclusive to me.

yeah, that confused me as well. in the amiga/hyperion settlement agreement AI agreed that any partner, successor, or future licensee of their marks or IP would also be bound to respect the rights granted hyperion. so they may have exclusive rights to everything but the boing ball. perhaps he meant exclusive rights to use it in conjunction with a computer branded as 'amiga?'

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:45:29
#9 ]

@redrumloa

Quote:
And this post is censored from the front page on "Amigaworld" displaying a boingball, go figure. There is just so much fuel in this and the likely repercussions to come.

i agree. this agreement is something big enough to be on the front page. i'm sure everyone will find this topic anyway who is interested, but it seems silly to keep this news off the front page a an 'amiga' community portal festooned with a boing-ball logo.

-- eliyahu

number6 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:45:41
#10 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
perhaps he meant exclusive rights to use it in conjunction with a computer branded as 'amiga?'

That's what I just said above.

Using the boingball on a computer branded "AmigaOne" is another thing entirely.

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 16:55:41
#11 ]

@number6

sorry. didn't see your reply before i posted mine.

-- eliyahu

redrumloa 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 17:04:46
#12 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:

But A-EON/Acube are not branding with the Amiga trademark IP, so I clearly see this as distinctly different.

this summary still seems up to date to me

A-Eon/Amigakit have been using Boingball. Is it active? The Aminet link states no longer in the USA, we shall see.

$225 total spent!

redrumloa 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 17:07:44
#13 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@eliyahu

Quote:
perhaps he meant exclusive rights to use it in conjunction with a computer branded as 'amiga?'

That's what I just said above.

Using the boingball on a computer branded "AmigaOne" is another thing entirely.

I see your point, but there are still considerations. AmigaKit is not called Amigaonekit. Amigaworld is not called Amigaoneworld. When thought through, everything becomes muddy.

Personally I would think it would be bad taste to go after certain websites and such, but they are a company and some have been very hostile towards them.

Last edited by redrumloa on 30-Dec-2011 at 05:10 PM.

$225 total spent!

number6 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 17:10:40
#14 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

Also, being granted a right does not mean someone is going to exercise a right.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did not the Commodore "tick" win pretty much every popularity poll ever run? (on a.org at least)

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 17:21:25
#15 ]

@redrumloa

Quote:
I see your point, but there are still considerations. AmigaKit is not called Amigaonekit. Amigaworld is not called Amigaoneworld. When thought through, everything becomes muddy.

Personally I would think it would be bad taste to go after certain websites and such, but they are a company and some have been very hostile towards them.

it doesn't matter. so long as amigakit is a partner in developing or marketing amigaOS or hardware which runs amigaOS, they can use the boingball for said activities

sites such as amigaworld, though, are a different story. the amiga marks apply to computer technology, so calling it amigaworld shouldn't be an issue. the boing ball, though, i don't know about. i would imagine that would be problematic if CUSA made an issue of it. i don't think they would, though. bit of an own goal, especially in light of their history.

-- eliyahu

redrumloa 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 17:24:26
#16 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

@redrumloa

Also, being granted a right does not mean someone is going to exercise a right.

Very true, I also think it would be counter productive to exercise that right in the ways we are discussing. Then again, I also think the blind venom and ill-will some have against CUSA is counter-productive.

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but did not the Commodore "tick" win pretty much every popularity poll ever run? (on a.org at least)

You are probably right. The check mark is more associated with Commodore Amiga. Despite the famous boing ball demo, the boing ball trademark is probably more associated with post-commodore Amiga products.

Last edited by redrumloa on 30-Dec-2011 at 05:26 PM.

$225 total spent!

number6 
Posted on 30-Dec-2011 17:34:35
#17 ]
Elite Member

@redrumloa

I realize many people will read the latest statement and feel threatened because they have a knee jerk reaction.
I see it more it terms of clarity.

You might recall the original agreement about AIO in terms of exclusivity?
I think the important part of this statement may well be the renegotiation to put more clarity into the right to use the other form factors.
I don't think Barry Altman would have been comfortable being limited to AIO, do you?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle