Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 Karlos:  31 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  44 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  49 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Ratta:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs ago
 pixie:  2 hrs ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  CommodoreOS - closed source or open?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Poll : Is it morally acceptable to rename existing free OS, mod it and distribute it as flagship product?
Yes48 % 48 % (14)
No31 % 31 % (9)
Dunno20 % 20 % (6)
Total Votes: 29
Total Voters: 29

PosterThread
vox 
CommodoreOS - closed source or open?
Posted on 11-Mar-2012 16:23:51
#1 ]
Elite Member

Transfer from here

Quote:
We`ll if I understand the Linux world good enough, if you take other open source project (in CUSA case Mint) you are obliged to open source it, which they didn`t. ]

Quote:
Like what exactly? The only thing that has been modified are the scripts. If you have the COS-V, you have those scripts already. Nothing of the binaries have been modified so you are free to download the source code from multiple locations on the net.
[/quote]

If its nothing new, then it should be widely known its MINT. Somehow it really feels like tricking people into believing there something new, and not indicating its open that everyone can develop for.

Quote:
But there is no reference to its source anywhere within the OS / documentation / "support page" (sources downloadable ...). Its not even openly avail download beyond Beta 6, no FTP download at all. Its kind of emulation its propitiatory OS while in fact it should be free and open.

While Torrent seeding is nice, that is hardly an OS support.
Generally, CUSA is "emulating" a real company in many aspects, while having market behaviour of a OEM reseller that just adds the name.
Beside C64x case, there has hardly been any innovation like developing any new hardware or software component, or outsourcing someone else to do it for CUSA.

Point is low innovative capitalism - low investment, max profit.

And beyond Leo there is no one in the board that has any IT skills.

Quote:
I really have no idea on what you are going on about and this is getting way off topic. Feel free to make another thread with exact packages you feel C=USA is violating on a specific license agreement.

Are rights for Linux Mint obtained in cooperation with real Linux mint team and where is it stated within OS or OS webpage?

Quote:
I have no idea what you are referring to, but I have a feeling it's off topic.

Sounds like new Chewbacca defence
Oh my, and we never said so for all the CUSA messages on AW.net

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Re: CommodoreOS - closed source or open?
Posted on 11-Mar-2012 16:59:10
#2 ]
Elite Member

@vox

DistroWatch

Interesting mistake at DistroWatch mentioning AmigaWorld as COS support page.

Also its interesting to see that Italian pro CommodoreOS blog is flamming heavily on OS4 under discuise of "no OS4 criticism allowed" (where?)
Italian
counter info

also X1000 page
http://www.commodorecomputerblog.com/2012/02/requiem-for-amigaone-x1000-dream.html

Counter page Google translate to English

While OS4 criticism is legitimate and true in almost all aspects (but unnecessary disaster predication) ,it presents CommodoreOS as almost an AmigaOS and COmmodoreUSA again as CBM which is used propaganda, but so untrue.

Shame a "new" OS and company cannot build its identity on some its strenghts and not on AmigaOS weaknesses, and such effort to "emulate" identity and history.

At the same time same user (Amiga4be) on YT shows OS 4.1 video as part of COS presentation here

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 12-Mar-2012 11:51:29
#3 ]

@vox

Quote:
If its nothing new, then it should be widely known its MINT

And Linux MINT is a release based on Ubuntu. So?

vox 
Posted on 12-Mar-2012 15:39:03
#4 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Tell the Barron they should just form official partnership and continue contacting the MINT owners.

--------
Sent as PM

Last edited by vox on 12-Mar-2012 at 06:24 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 12-Mar-2012 16:29:45
#5 ]
Team Member

@vox

If the above is a real email, did you get permission to publish it here?

vox 
Posted on 12-Mar-2012 18:25:31
#6 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Forgot the mail TOS privacy, even this one is positive for COS.
Re-edited and send to Wolf To The Moon as PM

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 13-Mar-2012 14:18:40
#7 ]

@vox

I can't see much of a reason to form a partnership with MINT at this time. And since C=OS is based on MINT, they get new users either way.

vox 
Posted on 14-Mar-2012 9:58:04
#8 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
I can't see much of a reason to form a partnership with MINT at this time. And since C=OS is based on MINT, they get new users either way.

Its CUSA call anyway and their human and company relations.

Beside who will develop Drivers and bugfix future Linux versions when all computers might become Amiga Minis?

Last edited by vox on 21-May-2012 at 05:11 PM.

ice2642 
Posted on 1-Jun-2012 5:51:17
#9 ]

This ppl can not made a linux distro and talk it is a other OS. is not righ and is ilegal.

And other. this company just are using the love of the comunity for the amiga to sell their PC linux products.

BR

fishy_fis 
Posted on 3-Jun-2012 14:13:54
#10 ]
Elite Member

Im sure someone will correct me if Im mistaken, but doesnt GPL stipulate than any improvements must be given back?
Seeing that there's no new work apart from some scripts and graphics themes there's nothing to give back, hence nothing illegal.
Questionable ethically? Probably, but not illegal.

Seriously though, this sort of which hunt and bitching is doing more damage to the amiga scene than any half assed company anyway. Im no fan, but for heck sake, cant people just leave it be and enjoy what they have?

linnar 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 6:35:59
#11 ]
Cult Member

Commodore OS Vision is probably the Linux version that will grow fastest of all the different versions. This OS is also likely to be the version most of all versions will be enclosed with a desktop computer. This will Cusa to be the company that most of all contribute to an alternative to Windows.
But it will take some years to get there, as with everything else that is called development. Several writers seemed to think that a startup company is standing there ready with all solutions and full production and full product portfolio.
That is not reality!
It begins, as always, with enthusiasts who quickly tries to get something out in the market to earn more cash. Money is needed to develop what is the real target, ie, a high-tech self-designed brand called Amiga shipped with its own OS, many of us already know, we're not there yet. It takes a few years. Those who did not allow a few years have not understood how it works.
Commodore OS Vision is likely over time to become its own Linux dist with everything about everyone else has some. I do not think it stops there, I think more will be compared to its own OS than Linux variant.
So that is something I think and hope! Amiga is worth it and Cusa, the company that will make it!

PS
Cusa has received very good help on the way from an unexpected source!
I have tested Windows 8! The worst OS I've tried ever! Windows 3.1 was better!It seems that they want to force anyone who develops software for Windows to obtain a license for each program to enable the programs to run on Windows. I misunderstood that? Anyone know?
It also appears that Microsoft wants to force hardware manufacturers that only Windows is going to start on their chosen hardware. Anyone know more?
If so will Cusa become a major player in less time than expected!
DS

Last edited by linnar on 13-Jun-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Last edited by Moxee on 12-Jun-2012 at 09:47 PM.

ice2642 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 7:24:45
#12 ]

@linnar

Quote:
PS
Cusa has received very good help on the way from an unexpected source!
I have tested Windows 8! The worst OS I've tried ever! Windows 3.1 was better!It seems that they want to force anyone who develops software for Windows to obtain a license for each program to enable the programs to run on Windows. I misunderstood that? Anyone know?
It also appears that Microsoft wants to force hardware manufacturers that only Windows is going to start on their chosen hardware. Anyone know more?
If so will Cusa become a major player in less time than expected!
DS

If you not like windows it is not rason to CUSA made a PC with linux mint 10 with skin and talk it is a own OS and talk it is one Amiga.

The amiga comunity is very little. and this not will made it bigger. but made it more little than now.

the new users looking on youtube searching for amiga found a lot videos with this machine. and think the amiga is just this, a low end PC with linux.

Yes, low end, because, the CUSA amiga configuration is far way of a high end PC. maybe the alienware price, but the config not.

In other way, AmigaOS, it is a really very good OS. and it is the OS for the Amigans.

Maybe you are a PC user, you know about windows, and how linux is best than it (not is) but not know what is use one machine with AmigaOS.

And if today exist a amiga comunity, is is because the real Amiga, and the AmigaOS. not because some people wait 30 yaes for use a PC with linux with a name Amiga.

Sorry about my terrible english.

BR

opi 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 8:19:57
#13 ]
Team Member

@vox

Yes, as long GPL and other licences are honored. There are tons of distributions like this.

linnar 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 10:28:29
#14 ]
Cult Member

@ice2642

I understand what you write. My English is worse than yours but a little man doing the best he can.

I think that both the Amiga Classic and AmigNG may exist with Cusa Amiga. I see no contradiction in it! I think the Amiga Cusa draws people to the Amiga community.

Initially, I Commodore users (VIC20, C64, Amiga), but in 1994 I PC-Win users. Linux, I have never liked! But I think Cusa can do something good with Linux. Now that Windows 8 will maybe I will use only Linux.

Cusa owns the name "Amiga" and they do what they want with it, not much to do about it. We shall be glad that they choose to use the name to high-end computers and not for furniture, drilling machines, microwave, or a cheap TV.

I think it will be something good out of this also for the Amiga community. Do not forget that the guys behind Cusa is homogeneous Amiga lovers!

CritAnime 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 15:18:45
#15 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

They don't own the Amiga name they license it. So unless I missed some important update, just look at their site an that's a no, then they are simply a licensee. Also I don't agree with the CUSA is bringing linux for the foreground argument that people have. Linux has been in the foreground for a long while now. Lets not forget they are simply skinning Linux Mint. It's not as if they have had any massive input other than the compiz stuff and some scripts. Even most of the wallpapers are done by their fans.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

ice2642 
Posted on 12-Jun-2012 19:41:56
#16 ]

@linnar
Quote:
I think it will be something good out of this also for the Amiga community. Do not forget that the guys behind Cusa is homogeneous Amiga lovers!

If this guys love amiga, why not made just one amiga case and use a hardware for amigaOS like sam460ep or NEMO ?

For my way of see, this guys love just the amiga community money.

[]'s

linnar 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 18:23:21
#17 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

WARNING:
Whatever your opinion of vox is it is a violation to bate someone into an argument. This is covered in the TOS under Flame and Troll. Please refrain from doing this.

Could it be due to language problems.
I have no intention to offend anyone. I'm just kidding with vox at times as he kidding with me. Completely innocent!

Anyway, I will erase everything on vox in the post!

vox, you be offended?

linnar 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 18:27:37
#18 ]
Cult Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:
@linnar

They don't own the Amiga name they license it. So unless I missed some important update, just look at their site an that's a no, then they are simply a licensee. Also I don't agree with the CUSA is bringing linux for the foreground argument that people have. Linux has been in the foreground for a long while now. Lets not forget they are simply skinning Linux Mint. It's not as if they have had any massive input other than the compiz stuff and some scripts. Even most of the wallpapers are done by their fans.

Do you understand that they just started this project?
Everything can not be done in one day.

linnar 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 18:36:15
#19 ]
Cult Member

@ice2642

Quote:

ice2642 wrote:
@linnar
Quote:

If this guys love amiga, why not made just one amiga case and use a hardware for amigaOS like sam460ep or NEMO ?

For my way of see, this guys love just the amiga community money.

[]'s

It is true that they "love money", who does not? It is also an important part of a company's existence and prosperity that we receive money. Your proposal to build hardware for AmigaOS is probably a very good way that the money goes the other way, so can not be business driven.

What is left?
They may not use any OS that has Amiga API or even look like AmigaOS. They may thus it does not make a Linux that looks like AmigaOS, then they can be prosecuted.

That is yet to make a Linux for their own direction with their own ideas. Just as they do now. But time has been a key so they have only had time to change the look through some scripts and more. But there will be more, much more!

CritAnime 
Posted on 13-Jun-2012 21:55:54
#20 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

Oh I understand perfectly what they are doing. So don't attempt to lecture me on it. I have read all the stuff they ever put out on it and even used it myself. I know exactly what they have and havent done. ;)

I have been a Linux user for a long while.

Last edited by CritAnime on 13-Jun-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle