Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
49 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

zipper,  Beajar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beajar:  28 secs ago
 zipper:  5 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  14 mins ago
 AndreasM:  58 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Hardware
      /  Aros Broadway running on Raspberry Pi
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
clusteruk 
Aros Broadway running on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 30-May-2012 7:04:38
#1 ]

Well while I sit here waiting for my Raspberry Pi to arrive, gnashes teeth.

It seems I have been beaten to getting Aros on the Pi first, a member on AE.org has installed the great Aros Broadway by Pascal and it is apparently working fine.

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=68947#forumpost68947

As soon as I get mine I will do a video to show it working and how to set it up.

But looks like the job is complete

Great work Pascal, and especially Michal Schulz who ported Aros to Arm.

If you have a Pi, here is the link for Broadway, please remember to donate.

http://www.aros-broadway.de/

Oh and my Facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/groups/imica/

Last edited by clusteruk on 30-May-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 30-May-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 30-May-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 30-May-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Daedalus 
Re: Aros Broadway running on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 30-May-2012 7:23:47
#2 ]

@clusteruk

Ooh, that's most excellent news! Great to hear, will have to try it out if or when I get my pi...

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 30-May-2012 7:30:05
#3 ]

@clusteruk

Hey man, yesterday I ordered my RPi!
I am planning on buying a Logitech K400 (wireless keyboard/mouse, combo) and I would like to ask you whether this equipment works runs on AROS out of the box as well (it's an already verified hardware for the RPi).
Secondly, what is the fastest SD (equal or greater than 8GB) that can run both the Fedora and AROS?

Thanks!

clusteruk 
Posted on 30-May-2012 7:31:41
#4 ]

@Cool_amigaN

As I have not got mine, cannot answer these questions, apart from saying on key/mouse I see no issues if they work on the Pi. On the SDCard, this will be down to people buying them, testing and posting results.

J'Bar 
Posted on 30-May-2012 7:43:35
#5 ]

@clusteruk

My Pi will be here in 2 weeks and i can't wait total order price was £30.87 with tax post etc,I have six SD cards waiting to try stuff on one of which is for AROS .
Just imagine an AROS board that small ohhh i am gonna burst with excitement :)

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 30-May-2012 7:46:06
#6 ]

@clusteruk

Ah, ok! They told me that I have a lead time of 6 weeks, so I believe that within August I will get mine. However, one last question, does AROS Broadway run natively or hosted from another OS?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 30-May-2012 9:31:09
#7 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Great news Steve!

I got my pi last week and I bought what looks like a suitable charger, 1000mA.

Downloaded the Linux distro and burnt it to a SD Card.

It boots into Linux but nothing works.

The mouse doesn't work, the keyboard doesn't work.

Disappointed. I am going to get another PSU/charger and try again, failing that I'll boot it to ebay.

Daedalus 
Posted on 30-May-2012 10:36:20
#8 ]

@TheDaddy

Have you tried it with a *powered* USB hub? It might be the case that the Pi doesn't supply enough power through USB to power your mouse and keyboard, especially since it's only designed to run of a USB phone charger anyway.

Franko 
Posted on 30-May-2012 10:55:05
#9 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Now this is very interesting...

For a number of years now I've been looking for a cheap way to build my own "HD audio Juke Box" sot hat I don't have to pay a fortune for another Brennan...

Brennan JB7...

Trouble is with me only coding in M68K assembler everything I've found up until now would have meant me having to code in some sort of PC language to write the interface/ software to build one...

Now if you can run AROS on the Raspberry PI then that sounds like the perfect cheap solution to for my project. It should mean I can write all the code in 68k assembler and build my own custom HD audio jukebox and add one of my own custom built amps for ultimate sound quality and all done for a lot cheaper than buying another Brennan...

So just wondering for those of you who know a lot more about AROS & the Raspberry Pi than me, can I simply write my code (interface/ drivers etc...) in 68K assembler and it will run using AROS or does the version of AROS that would run on a Pi require writing code in another programming language...

Thanks for any info anyone can give me on this...

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 30-May-2012 11:02:29
#10 ]

@Franko

assembler is always cpu depended .. so 68k on ARM is a no go.
You can use P-UAE or EUAE or any derivate you like to run an emulated Amiga.
It works quite good.

BTW we have now also a 68k version of the "lx command" which allows to launch Linux Apps from inside an emulated Amiga... maybe interesting for the extreme AROS-naysayers....

TheDaddy 
Posted on 30-May-2012 11:06:42
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

>>Have you tried it with a *powered* USB hub? It might be the case that the Pi doesn't supply enough power through USB to power your mouse and keyboard, especially since it's only designed to run of a USB phone charger anyway

I hope it's the PSU, although the seller says he sold 50+ for the Rasp and nobody has complained.

I have ordered a new one 1200ma, £3 I'll see what comes out of it.

Franko 
Posted on 30-May-2012 11:13:33
#12 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

So if I went this route, Id have to install EUAE too to run any code I wrote, Is that what you mean...

Shouldn't be a problem if that's the way it works as basically all the code will be doing is accessing AIFF files on the hard drive and sending the data to a port that get fed to the audio amp...

Writing the code for the LCD or LED panel display will be more tricky cos that all depends on what kind of display I can find and finding the technical info for driving it...

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 30-May-2012 12:14:23
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I am planning on buying a Logitech K400 (wireless keyboard/mouse, combo) and I would like to ask you whether this equipment works runs on AROS out of the box as well (it's an already verified hardware for the RPi).

Excellent keyboard! I have one plugged into my MacMini As soon as I get my Raspberry Pi I'll test it (but it seems mine will be a looong way off).

Daedalus 
Posted on 30-May-2012 12:46:11
#14 ]

@TheDaddy

It might not be the PSU, but the Raspberry Pi itself might be limiting the power available over USB. If that's the case, a heavier charger won't make a difference. For example, maybe the Pi limits it to 10mA. That will mean that no matter how much current your PSU can provide, you still only get 10mA from the USB connector. I don't know the spec of the Pi that well so I can't be sure, but it's certainly worth checking out and comparing to the requirements of your keyboard and mouse.

Daedalus 
Posted on 30-May-2012 12:50:49
#15 ]

@Franko

That's very close to one of my projects:

http://www.robthenerd.com/show.php?sect=projects&sub=jukebox&page=photos

I wrote the software for that in a mixture of AmiBlitz and C, and it uses a Crystalfontz LCD display. Those displays are excellent, with many different varieties and sizes available for serial and USB connection. Very easy to interface and program!

Obviously a Raspberry Pi would be far cheaper and easier than my project, but it was a "to see if I can" sort of thing

As others have said though, 68k code is out the window unless you emulate an Amiga on the Pi. If you could code in C, coding for Aros (or indeed for Linux) would be a far more efficient way of doing things...

Edit: Those Brennan units are expensive alright, but they're also pretty fantastic in every way - build quality, sound quality, ease of use and looks. The build-in amplifier gives a pretty nice sound too if you're not running it through a stereo.

Last edited by Daedalus on 30-May-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 30-May-2012 13:55:26
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Nice project... any chance of a link about those displayes you used...

I never wanted to build one using a full size Amiga motherboard as it's just too big (though it would be simpler to do). I had thought about using a MiniMIg but the expense doesn't justify the project using one of those...

I'll never get round to coding in C (just don't like it) so I guess I'll have to keep searching for another solution...

The Brennan is a great unit but I've never been happy with the audio quality of it's amp and always prefer to build my own custom amps to get the sound quality I like. I've often been tempted to rip out my Brennans amp and replace it with my own but due to what it cost me I just don't have the heart to do that...

Daedalus 
Posted on 30-May-2012 14:14:15
#17 ]

@Franko

Here are the serial displays:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/index-ser.html

You can also buy bezels, drive bay mounting kits and other accessories for them too, and some of them include a small keypad for menu navigation etc. The technical documentation is clear and detailed, and there's a forum there for any issues you might have with them. They support custom characters, automatic scrolling, and software-adjustable contrast and backlight. They are more expensive than buying the bare module, but the ease of programming and the nice command set make it very worthwhile indeed!

As for the amplifier, fair enough It is an integrated amp to fit in there, so naturally a good quality discrete amp would be preferable, but when I tried it briefly (it's my dad's unit), it sounded lovely on my Wharfedale Diamond speakers.

Franko 
Posted on 30-May-2012 15:24:03
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

Thanks for that link, very useful and handy plus lots of choice of modules they have... nice...

The amp in the Brennan is good quality but I'm very fussy when it comes to audio quality for my music and prefer to build my own amps from scratch to get the quality I want ...

With most consumer amps it's more to do with the poor quality of the power supply circuitry that lets them down rather than the actual amp itself...

TheDaddy 
Posted on 30-May-2012 15:33:59
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

>>might not be the PSU, but the Raspberry Pi itself might be limiting the power available over USB. If that's the case, a heavier charger won't make a difference. For example, maybe the Pi limits it to 10mA. That will mean that no matter how much current your PSU can provide, you still only get 10mA from the USB connector. I don't know the spec of the Pi that well so I can't be sure, but it's certainly worth checking out and comparing to the requirements of your keyboard and mouse.

So what the feck?

Why have they put two USB ports on it?

I understand but if it's like you say it's a bad design choice. I have already bought another PSU, let's see how it goes...

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 30-May-2012 15:44:21
#20 ]

@TheDaddy

maybe they have two because they could be used with one "y-cable" so you can drive a device which consumes more power.. ? Just an idea.

My old but still funyy Ibook g3 (clamshell) had also only on USB1 port... i had to use a D-Link hub with it's own plug... this works good.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle