Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 bhabbott:  8 mins ago
 michalsc:  17 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  53 mins ago
 pixie:  58 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Amiga CDTV-CR in Action
Register To Post

PosterThread
illy5603 
Amiga CDTV-CR in Action
Posted on 4-Sep-2012 16:21:42
#1 ]

I made a short video showing the CDTV-CR in action.

Enjoi!

http://youtu.be/wlYbPnAhKTw

Profile     Report this post  
Phantom 
Re: Amiga CDTV-CR in Action
Posted on 4-Sep-2012 16:45:05
#2 ]
Elite Member

@illy5603

Just a question, as it seems that you've 'played' with it much. Does it working 100%, or partial working? I mean does everything works there, from outputs/inputs, IDE, etc? Did you check other CDTV titles as well?

Last edited by Phantom on 04-Sep-2012 at 04:46 PM.

illy5603 
Posted on 4-Sep-2012 18:29:40
#3 ]

@Phantom

As far as I can tell everything works properly. I have played several CDTV games on it without issue. I imagine the only problems would be programs that for some reason have a problem with the A600 architecture.

If I keep it (EDIT This is for all intents and purposes sold now, thanks for the interest everyone) I may try and upgrade the memory and add a compact flash hard disk but I have not been terribly inspired to work on Amiga things lately. It also has the tray and connector for a floppy disk but I do not want to break anything trying to open the part of the case where it would protrude so I have not messed with that.

Last edited by illy5603 on 11-Sep-2012 at 11:03 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 4-Sep-2012 19:08:57
#4 ]
Elite Member

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/prototypes/cdtvcr.html

WOW!!!

Yet another good HW that was not produced.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

illy5603 
Posted on 11-Sep-2012 19:45:20
#5 ]

I cannot promise, but one of the Original CDTV-CR team members has expressed interest in getting her CDTV-CR back up and running after it blue smoked some ten or fifteen years ago. This unit (hers not mine) may go under the soldering iron at Amiwest during the classic clinic on Friday night! Yet another reason to make it out to the show!

Drummerboy 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 5:02:41
#6 ]

@illy5603

Very nice!.. thanks for sharing!!

C= VIC 20 / 64 / SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD Unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live"

KimmoK 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 6:34:23
#7 ]
Elite Member

@illy5603

"one of the Original CDTV-CR team members"
Hope we get one more NG Amigan as well?

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 7:24:27
#8 ]

@illy5603

I was there when you bought that fine piece of history. I can't believe you are selling it. If I had more money at the time in 2010, I would have bid that baby up and tried to get it away from you back then. Instead, I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one of Carl's New Old Stock, unopened standard CDTV's, that is one of the pride and joys of my collection that I will never sell. It didn't stay unopened though, and I have played with it a little.

I want to upgrade it, so I am watching the Zeus 68k accelerator that is being discussed on EAB and hopefully will be produced and sold within the next 6 to 9 months. I already have a SCSI controller for it, which are hard to find these days, plus a DCTV display adapter (no slow scan digitizer included in the CDTV model of the DCTV). I have an ECS Indivision that I could put into it, a DKB MegaChip to bump the RAM from 1mb to 2mb, and a pair of CDTV ROM chips with the latest version of the firmware for the CDTV that allows it to run AmigaOS3.x. I can't remember what else I have for expanding it, but what ever I do with it, I want to keep it inside the original case. I took the advantage of having Carl Sassenrath and Dale Luck at the 2010 AmiWest Show, so I opened up the boxes and removed the top half of the CDTV case and asked Carl and Dale to sign it, just like their signatures on the inside of the top half of the A1000 cases. I should take the CDTV to this year's AmiWest Show as well, so if there are any other original Amiga software or hardware engineers in attendance, I can ask them to sign the inside of the case top as well.

I can't put into words how much you are missing out on, if you don't attend each AmiWest Show. It might be the last surviving commercially supported Amiga trade show anywhere. It is so much fun and so great to meet other Amiga users, plus the key people behind such products as the Individual Computers IndivisionAGA & ECS, the ACA accelerators for the A1200 and A600 Amiga computers, the X1000, Colanto's AmigaForever and C64Forever emulator packages with ROMs, and Hyperion management & developers. You never know exactly who is going to show up unannounced and surprise us during the show. Or what they might bring with them, like Carl did in 2010, when he brought a van full of gear from his garage, basement and/or closets.

I just can't understand why anyone would miss these shows each year. I travel almost 400 miles one way and another 400 miles back home, but I wouldn't miss AmiWest even if the distance were 3 times that distance, or more. All that would be different would be that I would probably have to fly to the shows, instead of driving, so I would not be able to take so much gear with me every year.

You don't want to miss this year's show! Also, if you have any interest in programming on OS4.x, and I mean ANY, you should make every effort you can to get to the AmiWest Show early, as there will be a great Programming Seminar presented on the two days prior to the rest of the show starting, and those two days will include between 16 to 20 hours of intense programming instruction on OS4.x using the "C" programming language. This is a great opportunity to learn from some of the best members of the official OS4.x programming team. For more information about who will be presenting during the seminar, check the official AmiWest Show website and blog.

Last edited by amigadave on 12-Sep-2012 at 07:29 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 7:43:38
#9 ]

@illy5603

P.S. I did not know that the CDTV-CR was based on the A600. Do you have any links to sites that have more info about it? Also, do you know if the PCMCIA slot is functional like the A600 PCMCIA slot, or is it like the expansion slot on the original CDTV that is proprietary and nothing is available that can be used in it? I think the slot in the front of the original CDTV might be the same size and pin configuration as a PCMCIA slot, but is not electrically compatible, but I am working from weak memory cells.

I think I also remember reading or hearing that the front expansion slot on the original CDTV had a 256kb, or 512kb RAM expansion card made for it back shortly after the original CDTV was released, but since the CDTV.org website went dark last year, a lot of the best information about the CDTV and CDTV-CR is no longer available anywhere that I can find.

I hope the CDTV.org site comes back some day and that information which was available on that site is not lost. It was a really good site for anyone wanting to learn more about the CDTV and CDTV-CR.

The CDTV, another Amiga first that was ahead of it's time and very poorly marketed. Like all Amiga models that came out after the A1000, it also should have had improved performance and graphics & sound capabilities that were beyond OCS. In fact, by the time the CDTV came to market, Commodore should have had AGA completed and the CDTV should have had the specs of the CD32, but years earlier, if Commodore was going to have any chance at keeping their lead over PC's and Mac's. But they didn't and the rest is history.

Last edited by amigadave on 12-Sep-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 11:33:33
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Instead, I was lucky enough to be able to purchase one of Carl's New Old Stock, unopened standard CDTV's, that is one of the pride and joys of my collection that I will never sell. It didn't stay unopened though, and I have played with it a little.

Did anyone take away Carl's Viscorp Amiga prototype that ended up in the junk pile.

scabit 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 15:33:58
#11 ]

@illy5603

Wow! That is one cool looking little device. If only they had made CD32 look like that instead of trying to compete with Sega / Sony.

Ah well.....

Scott

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 17:01:30
#12 ]

@Rob

I don't know if anyone bought that, but probably. I think Carl said that he wasn't going to take anything back home with him, or it was his wife that was also there, who told him he wasn't putting any of the gear he brought to the show back in their car to take home with them.

Rob 
Posted on 12-Sep-2012 20:55:02
#13 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
If only they had made CD32 look like that instead of trying to compete with Sega / Sony.

I thought they were trying to compete with the Atari VCS when I first saw it.

illy5603 
Posted on 13-Sep-2012 0:22:55
#14 ]

@amigadave

Hi Dave,

I am not sure about the memory or the PCMCIA slot but the good news is that I will bring the unit down on Friday night to Amiwest and we can play around with it before it is sold. The new owner is giving me exactly what I paid Carl for it and is also an Amiwest regular. You will know him when you see him. I could have sold it on eBay but I verbally agreed to keep it in the amiwest family if I ever wanted to sell it and that is what I am doing, without any markup.

With that said, there is another part of this story that I wanted to get off my chest. At the time I purchased these, I was on a huge classic Amiga revival. I was hot off of getting my Amiga BBS back online after 14 years using 30 old amiback floppies and was just starting to build one of the largest CD32 game libraries in the United States. Being in Sacramento and being able to meet and help out the members of the Sacramento Amiga Computer Club and be part of Amiwest was the icing on the cake.

Shortly after purchasing the CDTV-CR, the CD32 Developer board (Also selling to the same guy) and the other boxed CDTV and a Pro Kit. I shared pictures and the story of meeting Carl and purchasing this stuff on another Amiga forum. What followed put a serious damper on my, uhhh, Amiga spirit if you will. People from all over the world were bashing Carl on his private blog for not giving the items to some "museum" or other. They blasted SACC and me personally as having been in on some inside job to hustle away these lost treasures to private collections where they would be hidden away from the community. I was deflated and felt personally attacked. I never had any intention of "flipping" the items for a profit, and as stated I am not, and I had intended to share them with anyone that would like to see them.

After a while this all died down and I ended up in a bind and needed to unload the unopened CDTV and Pro Kit. When I posted the links to the items in eBay I was attacked again as a "flipper" or whatever. To make a long story short, I sold them for less than I paid for them and even underestimated shipping. All told I lost around $100 to get these items in the hands of people that would have otherwise not been able to get them because they didn't come out to the show. Yet, I was again attacked as some sort of bad guy. After this all went down I virtually stopped using my Amiga computers and just haven't had the passion since. I am also certain that Carl was turned off by the whole exchange on his blog, as nobody has heard from him since.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with anyone that cared to hear it. Be kind to each other and always give your fellow Amigan the benefit of the doubt. Don't be a "hater" just because you missed out on something awesome. The best way to not miss out is to go to the show.

amigadave 
Posted on 13-Sep-2012 7:00:40
#15 ]

@illy5603

Thanks for that story. It just reinforces my beliefs that hate, fighting, bickering and negative attitudes are the most serious threat against the remaining Amiga community everywhere.

I hope all the other moderators here, and on every other Amiga related forum site will read your story and take note of how destructive a certain few bad apples in our community can affect so many other Amiga users and developers, and the moderators will begin coming down harder on these few who destroy our community from within.

Don't let the few "Bad Apples" ruin your enjoyment of the rest of this great Amiga community. Unfortunately, those few Bad Apples are a very vocal group and they make it appear that a larger part of the community is in alignment with their negative attitudes, when it is the larger, mostly silent majority of our community that is really great to correspond with and meet in person, to discuss all kinds of Amiga experiences.

So, don't turn away from the Amiga as a whole, just because you have been attacked by a few jealous, or angry people.

Last edited by amigadave on 13-Sep-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 13-Sep-2012 21:26:35
#16 ]
Cult Member

@illy5603

Woah, i'd love to have one!
Looks like you are a smart guy, there's an Intellivision on the table

Cameraman 
Posted on 13-Sep-2012 22:24:42
#17 ]

@illy5603

It's not just the Amiga community,
my wife is aa long-time Michael Jackson fan and the exact same things go on in whatever is left of the MJ Fanclub(s) here in The Netherlands...

Don't let it get you down, you can still enjoy the computer,

Frans

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle