Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  8 mins ago
 matthey:  15 mins ago
 Karlos:  29 mins ago
 Maijestro:  53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga Laptop
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertJDohnert 
Amiga Laptop
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 21:24:09
#1 ]

No, not a stab on any developer or company, but what the Amiga needs is a good mobile device. I think Trevor should look into power chips for mobile or embedded devices. One thing I noticed at Amiwest was the number of notebooks there. The Amiga is long overdue for a decent mobile computer and that way you wont see so many Apples and PC's at that conference.

Profile     Report this post  
Xmas87 
Re: Amiga Laptop
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 21:29:35
#2 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Either you are being intentionally obtuse, or you live on the moon!
A-eon and Hyperion have spent the last two years unsuccessfully looking at mobile solutions.
Price point at the right volume with the right performance have blocked progress every time.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 21:35:57
#3 ]

@Xmas87

well, there is the issue of user PowerBooks.

Xmas87 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 21:39:04
#4 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

How would used powerbooks support developers and retailers in the creation of the next generation of hardware?
They are a business dead end.

Last edited by Xmas87 on 21-Oct-2013 at 09:39 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 21:40:57
#5 ]

@Xmas87

what's worst? No laptop at all or user PowerBooks?

I really doubt it is possible to make a viable mobile product for a few hundred customers... It would cost a fortune.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 21:54:36
#6 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

They could create the drivers for the PowerBook and get AmigaOS to run on it. I believe a project like that was attempted at one time but there were of course, "legal issues" that kept it from seeing fruition.

Zylesea 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 22:03:41
#7 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Well, there are many Amig laptos. I started to use AmigaOS on a laptop more than 10 years ago. It was a nice Sony Vaio that ran OS 3.5 later 3.9. Was hosted, but quite useful.
Today I use a beautiful and fast Powerbok G4 that runs MorphOS 3.3 (native). It's all easy and cool.

Chain-Q 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 22:07:32
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Xmas87
Quote:
How would used powerbooks support developers and retailers in the creation of the next generation of hardware? They are a business dead end.

It has been already proven (I look at my PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz running MorphOS) that such statements are utter nonsense.

Yes, PowerBooks themselves are a dead end, true enough, but they defined a whole new era in the development of MorphOS. They allowed developers to easily carry their development devices all over the world (Did you ever code an Amiga PowerPC application 30000 feet high over the Atlantic? I did!) and served as an incubator platform to introduce a whole new set of APIs and subsystems in MorphOS. Just to name a few: power management features (like CPU frequency scaling, idle powersave), sensors (battery, ambient light, temperature, etc), touchpad and gestures support, fan control, WiFi integration, LCD controllers (brightness, etc) and more... It also reignited the development of drivers for more advanced Radeon chips. Oh, and it also triggered a big amount of new paid registrations for the system and increased the userbase...

Do you think these features will just pop out of nowhere when someone will be crazy enough to manufacture a new PowerPC laptop for OS4? In fact, having such an early incubator platform like PowerBook would *HELP* an actual dedicated OS4 laptop hardware to survive and become financially viable in a much shorter time, because most of the required subsystems to properly support a mobile computer would be at least there - and they're simply missing now.

vox 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 22:33:16
#9 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
No, not a stab on any developer or company, but what the Amiga needs is a good mobile device. I think Trevor should look into power chips for mobile or embedded devices. One thing I noticed at Amiwest was the number of notebooks there. The Amiga is long overdue for a decent mobile computer and that way you wont see so many Apples and PC's at that conference.

Currently AmigaOS is simply not suitable.

Search for AmigaOS on elap and Touch screen AmigaOS 4.

How is your Linux for X1000 progressing? If you haven`t seen nice Ubuntu 12.04 remix is coming out these days by AEON and I don`t mind superfast Mint PPC64 11 competition mixed with bits of Debian 7.2 Tough competition dis days ...

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 23:09:08
#10 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

trust me you're not the only one in AmigaLand that wants an OS4.x net/notebook..sigh

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 23:24:32
#11 ]

I have two laptops with Amiga-ish OSes on them. One has OS3.9 on it, and I use it for when I'm on the go. But various incarnations of UAE under Linux don't tend to perform so well for me, and it's a pain to have to reboot into Windows to use WinUAE. Truth be told I don't use it very much. The other is an iBook G4, which I put MorphOS on, tried it out for a while but don't use it at all because I need to plug an ethernet cable in to get it networking. This is also one of the main reasons that I haven't registered MorphOS yet, by the way (hint hint).

Bottom line is, if there was a new device which ran OS4 (or possibly MorphOS) out of the box, fully supporting all the portability features, I'd buy it. But I'm not interested in buying an almost complete solution and I'm not buying an emulation solution.

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Oct-2013 23:39:55
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

+1, I'm already very happy using AspireOS on my netbook for my 68k stuff but would buy a fully operational (ie. all drivers working out of the box) OS4.x one in a heart beat

Last edited by klx300r on 21-Oct-2013 at 11:40 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Boot_WB 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 0:08:48
#13 ]

@Daedalus

Such a pity the iBook doesn't have a cardbus slot. The Powerbook + wireless pcmcia card combo (whilst unnecessarily draining on the battery vs internal wireless) is quite a tidy package.

Internal Airport support would be the golden child of course, but we can only hope they can reverse engineer it.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that this was in the OS4 hardware section. Apologies for the OT.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 22-Oct-2013 at 12:09 AM.

amigang 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 6:00:33
#14 ]
Elite Member

Acer aspire Netbook with AspireOS is my go to mobile amiga fix. I would recommend anyone holding out for a portable amiga system to check it out, as aros is pretty stable and supports all the hardware on it and you can get these laptops for about £50 if not less these days.

billt 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 7:08:22
#15 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
klx300r wrote:

trust me you're not the only one in AmigaLand that wants an OS4.x net/notebook..sigh

Me too

KimmoK 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 7:59:30
#16 ]
Elite Member

@laptop

We should design tiny PPC board to fit in laptop expansion bay and alternatively to connect via USB2 & USB3.
That way we can use any existing + coming x86 or PPC host laptop for display + I/O.

I imagine that kind of device can cost below 100eur (using 1Ghz $30 PPC chip etc.).

The device could have a docking bay option to work stand alone as well.

Same kit can be offered also x86 desktop users to try out PPC AOS4.
And the same kit can be used for home automation etc...
Also the kit would offer PPC alternative to RasberryPI (kind of).

Last edited by KimmoK on 22-Oct-2013 at 08:00 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

olegil 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 8:50:30
#17 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Given a sufficiently large laptop shell, a SAM460 should be able to fit inside, albeit not in the classic way. You would need to get rid of the optical bay, replace some connectors with cables and make some adapter boards plus sheet metal (and a cooler, using sintered heat pipes), but still. Actually plausible.

Heat pipe for diy:
http://www.quick-ohm.com/heatpipes/heatpipes_standard/gruppe.php?HGrpID=1&GrpID=1&SGrpID=3

I had started the thinking process together with someone about this, but we failed to find any time to work on it.

I've checked a couple of HP laptops, no hope. My Dell E6500 is almost plausible, a 15 inch Lenovo would probably work. Anything bigger, not difficult at all.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Daedalus 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 10:31:54
#18 ]

@Boot_WB

Yup, it's a nice machine, don't get me wrong, and I've had it for many years. Still has a 3 hour battery life! But for now, the OSX hard drive has gone back in...

cv643d 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 10:47:03
#19 ]

@Xmas87

Quote:
Price point at the right volume with the right performance have blocked progress every time.

If people are prepared to pay 3000 euros for the X1000 then you are wrong and price is no object!

Bring on the 6000 euro Amiga laptops.

1Mouse 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 11:12:41
#20 ]

My need for an Amiga like laptop has directed me to MorphOS on my 12" iBook (my 14" ibook in pieces) and am very happy with it.

If there was a native AmigaOS4.x laptop out there I would definitely be in the queue to purchase one.

I'd like to think that the mobile platform is not lost to OS4.x

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle