Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 Hypex:  14 mins ago
 VooDoo:  24 mins ago
 pavlor:  30 mins ago
 Matt3k:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  38 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Is there any Pittsburgh skilled Amigan to attend Warhol Amiga Art Recover Lecture?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Raffaele 
Is there any Pittsburgh skilled Amigan to attend Warhol Amiga Art Recover Lecture?
Posted on 24-Apr-2014 21:25:13
#1 ]

The recover of art of Andy Warhol from ancient amiga floppy disks will be lectured 10 of May in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
The discovery and recovery project has been filmed for a documentary that will be shown on 10 May at a public lecture at the Carnegie Library lecture hall in Pittsburgh. Soon afterwards, the documentary will be put online at http://nowseethis.org/

Is nearby Pittsburgh any skilled Amigan who could register his presence to the public lecture and make interventions if necessary, if he spots that people there will make imprecise talking about Amiga?

Please let's attend this event with presence of REAL amigans...

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Apr-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 25-Apr-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 24-Apr-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: Is there any Pittsburgh skilled Amigan to attend Warhol Amiga Art Recover Lecture?
Posted on 25-Apr-2014 4:26:58
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Seems a bit late now they've got the data. There should be someone or some Amiga group in that area who could attend. I can imagine the first question. "What's an Amiga?"

Off topic fact:: The comedy show Rules of Engagement features main character Jeff Bingham talking about an Amiga in reference to a Spanish cleaning lady. An Amiga game also exists of the same name. A Google search reveals the Amiga game is more popular.

Last edited by Hypex on 25-Apr-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 25-Apr-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Raffaele 
Re: Is there any Pittsburgh skilled Amigan to attend Warhol Amiga Art Recover Lecture?
Posted on 25-Apr-2014 14:01:42
#3 ]

@Hypex

If I will be there I will answer:

"It is the widdle puter for real multimedia artists like passed Warhola, that you just ripped the data from, without even knowing how to restore it back safe!

Next time you get data back from Amiga, try Amiga first!"

A defect of many amigans is the fact they are uncapable to respond provocations with sharp words...

And believe me... They knows perfectly what Amiga is, as they recovered data from it!

They just hired their precious computer expert friends who have Apple computers, just to own them a favour, or maybe they are sons or nephews of other friends.

This is how world spins around...

P.S. Lecture will be open to public. I suppose anyone could attend it. The important is to be inscribed in the list to those who want to make questions.

I think that it will be very pretty to thanks the audience in the name of existing Amiga community.

Again we Amigans are not great communicators as instead they are the supporters of other platforms...

Last edited by Raffaele on 25-Apr-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 25-Apr-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 25-Apr-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 25-Apr-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 25-Apr-2014 at 02:07 PM.

m0lebrain 
Posted on 25-Apr-2014 14:37:51
#4 ]

@Raffaele

Ciao Raffaele!

You are in luck. I may attend. I live in the Pittsburgh area, and infact, I live 500 yards from Any Warhol's grave site :)

Although I must tell you, the computer club at Carnegie Mellon is top-notch and they have a yearly demo part which usually contains Amiga stuff. It is just the reporting and the people who run the Museum who aren't so tech savvy. I was confused as well as to why the needed to use special "tools" to see the images, which were probably ILBMs or something.

They made it seemed that they worked miracles to make the images into PNGs ! hehe

lylehaze 
Posted on 25-Apr-2014 15:34:37
#5 ]

There were Amigas on site, a 500 and a 1200 were used as part of the process.
They imaged the disks using KryoFlux, some of the disks were even copied using "XCopy".

Most of the issues they had were because Andy was given pre-release versions of kickstart, workbench, and other programs.. and some of them could only load if they were booted to the same kickstart that created them.

They are also aware of the changes in aspect ratio, and have created very high-res duplicates that have taken the change in aspect ratio in to consideration.

I found the paper on the methods they used an interesting read. :)

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Apr-2014 17:23:22
#6 ]

@lylehaze

Quote:

I found the paper on the methods they used an interesting read. :)

Link please?

lylehaze 
Posted on 27-Apr-2014 17:59:19
#7 ]

@Raffaele

A detailed report about the CMU Computer Club’s retrocomputing work on the Warhol/Amiga image recovery project can be found
here

asymetrix 
Posted on 28-Apr-2014 0:52:35
#8 ]
Cult Member

@thread

They were not Amigans as they had to hex edit files to decode images !

Lord knows what they were doing or had missed !

I bet they did not even use disksalve to try find any 'deleted' content, never mind open dms / arc files etc.

A1200 
Posted on 29-Apr-2014 21:49:42
#9 ]
Elite Member

Featured on BBC link.

broadblues 
Posted on 29-Apr-2014 23:25:43
#10 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@asymetrix

Read the actual report and you see thay had real amiga XCopy and other tools, rescaled the graphics to the corect aspect and many other things. The BBC report was over simplified in the extreme.

Bladerunner 
Posted on 30-Apr-2014 7:29:05
#11 ]

@lylehaze

Thank you for the link to the paper, that was actually interessting read.
Anyone who wants to attend to this event and want to "make interventions" should really read this before.

Actually, this guys obviously know their stuff, more as some other people in this very thread I'd say...

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle