Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  2 secs ago
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 Jose:  37 mins ago
 michalsc:  44 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 danwood:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The Amiga system with more future
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Poll : Which is the Amiga OS with more future?
AmigaOS 3.x under WinUAE
AmigaOS 4.x under WinUAE
AmigaOS 4.x running on PPC board
MorphOS running on PPC board
AROS under emulation
AROS running on x86 board

PosterThread
Yasu 
Re: The Amiga system with more future
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 10:51:36
#181 ]

Quote:
If you use emulation for the Amiga side you don't have to turn on your other computer. I think this is why things like Amiga Forever are popular. One can run an Amiga game in a window next to the latest version of Google Chrome.

Of course not, but it's still in emulation. I don't see a "future" in a system that relies on another to work. For our future AmigaOS to be attractive I think it needs to be a complete system within itself.

Quote:
Maybe we already have the best possible outcome and don't recognize it, having hoped that it would somehow be better. No air cars for us. We've seen the future, and it's ... just OK.

I think you nailed it there. I agree

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

Profile     Report this post  
SHADES 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 14:57:59
#182 ]
Cult Member

@Yasu

It needs to be it's own OS, not under emulation from another OS. It needs Multi-user support and to be able to use multiple processors or at least take advantage of modern hardware.
It needs top stop with the expensive non x86 code, I know, there are so many x86 better OS's out there however, the expense is just too much! it's not going to sell the way it is going, it won't get more "buyers" in with the price tag and hardware limitations it is setting on people.
x86 won. That's it. that's the code base. Make it do miracles on x86. Windows still hasn't got it right and Linux is still brain bending to use in a friendly way. Ubuntu has been a god-send in this regard however, AMIGA OS is still better.

If the current state is as good as it gets, it's going to get worse and less and less people on it. The platform is just too expensive and development is niche and pricey too because of it.

Heck, it has been for years. It's not viable in the current computer development era any longer.

bison 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 15:40:11
#183 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
And yes, I can relate to the desktop environment issue, there are currently no DE that I like, so on the DFBSD box, I use AmiWM, lol

About a month ago I began looking at the amiwm code base with the thought of improving it. But that's not really practical due to the license, which requires all changes to be distributed as patches against the unmodified source, and the problems with the code base are deep and systemic. (No slight against the author of amiwm is intended; I'm glad that he wrote an Amiga-like window manager.) So, in the Spirit Of Amiga — taking on enormous tasks with little or no hope of compensation — I have begun writing my own Amiga-like window manager from scratch.

I'm about 40 hours into it, and hope to have an initial release out in a few months[1]. My "phase one" plan is to have something that I can use with LXDE instead of Openbox.

1. For some definition of "hope", "initial", and "few". (tip of the hat to Larry Wall)

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 17:08:54
#184 ]
Elite Member

WIthout having read the first 9 pages of this thread:

My vote: Pancakes!

Actually, AROS 68k running on an FPGA board is what I would have voted for. It has only 2 disadvantages: the 68k backend for GCC 4.x sucks, and improved graphics drivers are needed for the chipsets.

Recent developments in the LLVM/Clang compiler project may make implementation of compilers for CPUs that don't use integer registers as pointer variables, such as the 68k series microprocessor, much simpler. Clang also implements enough of the GCC-specifics to compile the Linux kernel so compiling AROS with it should improve the code quality of 68k code generation.

The FPGA boards have the potential to implement the "missing" screenmodes for high definition video and high/true color depths without giving up chipset compatibility. Lastly, AROS has an open-source implementation of CGX 3 compatibility for most graphics card support and can run a lot of AmigaOS 3 software.

AmigaOS 3 software sales already dwarf all the rest, I'm quite certain, and none of the options listed have enough compatibility to implement enough classic 68k compatibility except software emulation and even then, getting modern performance would require the WinUAE "hack" to implement x86/AMD64 Windows-native code from inside the emulator. (UAEGFX under Picasso96 is an example of this, as is the UAE driver for AHI.)

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Nov-2015 21:47:25
#185 ]

@utri007

Quote:

I don't see any problem that there is no changes to vote MorphOS tunning on x64 hardware, as thye are not real choises.

Still it was officially announced back in 2011 that there would be an ISA change within a few years and that development of new features such as 64-bit would take place within a virtual machine in the meantime. Since then, several MorphOS developers has communicated on various occasions on these plans, like for example that it will be "x64"/"AMD64" and that support for at least one desktop and one laptop will be released initially at the same time. When it comes to the MorphOS team, hints about the future won't be more official than this.

Yasu 
Posted on 24-Nov-2015 11:44:16
#186 ]

@TRIPOS

I don't think they ever used the words "within a few years". Only that there is an ISA change planned. Bigfoot is working on it but progress is slow as there are other pressing MorphOS related matters to deal with first (like the X5000 port and RadeonHD drivers). They haven't even choose what CPU to use yet.

My MorphOS Blog

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Nov-2015 12:23:22
#187 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

for Tripos inner eyes it is already "almost" completed, ISA changed and MorphOS with 64bit, SMP and MP and lots of new software

TRIPOS 
Posted on 24-Nov-2015 17:21:42
#188 ]

@Yasu

Quote:
I don't think they ever used the words "within a few years".

"So yes indeed, within a few years, we will change the architecture."

OK, there might be some lost in translation involved, but I still believe that in a whole, this is what they were saying. Of course I'm not claiming there is some kind of deadline in this, and I am humble about the effort required. I also think it could have been somewhat of a moving target where the idea about the final result can have evolved and maybe even expanded over time. Also the conditions might have changed, like people becoming fathers and stuff like that...

But I think the ambition is set in stone and there seem to be some determination behind it. Many public posts on the subject suggest this. I have no doubts about this whatsoever!

@OlafS25

Of course not...

Yasu 
Posted on 25-Nov-2015 13:48:22
#189 ]

@TRIPOS

I'll be damned Well, we are past "within a few years" by now. It will happen (probably) but when, we don't know.

My MorphOS Blog

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle