Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

vox,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 Karlos:  13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  16 mins ago
 danwood:  27 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  28 mins ago
 Lou:  33 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 pixie:  56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  VULKAN 1.0
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Hans 
Re: VULKAN 1.0
Posted on 21-Feb-2016 0:13:55
#61 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Hans

I read somewhere that BI endianness nature allows switching endianness on memory pages, that be really useful feature for AmigaOS4.2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

Interesting, but I don't think that such a scheme would be workable. Why? Well, the byte-swapping that needs to be done varies depending on the data. 8-bit data doesn't get swapped, 16-bit data has a 2 byte swap, 32-bit is a 4-byte swap, etc. That will all work fine as long as the CPU reads/writes to the little-endian pages directly using the correct datatype.

However, it would fail with the following scenario:
- Write data to a big-endian page
- Copy the data to a little-endian page using memcpy() or equivalent

Why? Well, memcpy() has no idea what kind of data it's copying, and nor does the CPU. So the endianness conversion (if any), would likely be wrong.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 21-Feb-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
fishy_fis 
Posted on 21-Feb-2016 5:37:59
#62 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:

amigakit wrote:

Having Shaders, buffer objects, T&L on AmigaOS would be a monumental task and very exciting if it ever happened. The amount of work involved would mean it would be expensive due to the development time to implement. However if a 3D API came about with these capabilities on AmigaOS then it would provide a lot of credibility to the platform for anyone wishing to develop 3D applications and games.

Both Gallium and mesa was ported to aros by a few devlopers in their spare time, in a matter of months. This includes glsl. Intel support was added by a single developer, again in his free time, and somewhat in secret (was a surprise when it happened to most).

Why is it such a monumental project for one amiga-oid system, yet relatively straightforward for another? (ie. rhetorical).

Why is it there's always excuses for why things don't happen/take so long on amiga os, when there's proof that the sorts of resources and effort people claim are far from accurate? Same thing for people claiming the OS being ported to another arch. is such a big, expensive proposition (dr. schulz ported aros to ppc, along with writing drivers for hardware in a matter of months, again in his spare time).

This is in no way meant to be any sort of vs. type thing. I just use AROS as an example because it's another amiga-oid system where the developers have similar battles.

All rhetorical, but Id much rather people be truthful and stop making up excuses. If there's no-one to do it, or no one with the skills to do it, just say so. Leaves a better taste than excuses that have been proved false.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 21-Feb-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 21-Feb-2016 at 05:43 AM.

agami 
Posted on 21-Feb-2016 6:18:11
#63 ]

@Severin

Your physical age is not all that relevant, but you think like the average sixty something year old.

You know, one of my English professors subscribed to a growing if debatable view that "English has no grammar, only usage". Which also happens to be one of the reasons for its easy adoption and its near Lingua Franca status.

I'm not saying I subscribe to this view; I hold language in high esteem, and I often correct people. But there is something to be said about the 'no grammar, only usage' view. English is a promiscuous language: another factor contributing to its prolific use.
When I take into account that about 40% of English is French, that Shakespeare added some 1700 words, and new words are added to the language every year based solely on usage, I find it difficult to school people on what may or may not be, in the strictest sense, according to the Queen's English, correct.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle