Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 agami:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga one SE cant install OS 4.0 or Debian
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Amiga one SE cant install OS 4.0 or Debian
Posted on 5-May-2017 16:54:20
#21 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

IMPORTANT: Upgrading your firmware is potentially dangerous. If something goes wrong during the update, it might leave your system unusable. There is usually not much reason to upgrade your firmware unless
• The update is flagged as 'required'
• You need a feature of the new firmware that was not in your previous firmware or did not work correctly.
• You have other issues with your machine that are due to the firmware.
If your system is working, think twice before you do an update.
U-Boot Firmware Update for AmigaOne/Teron boards
1. Introduction
This program updates the firmware in your computer. The firmware (also called the 'BIOS' for very historical reasons) is a piece of software stored in a fixed storage in your machine (usually a “flashrom”, i.e. an erasable Read-Only Memory) that receives control as soon as you switch on your computer. The firmware usually initializes the machine, sets up a suitable environment and then boots an operating system.
U-Boot is an open-source firmware that is licensed under the GNU General Public License. A copy of the GPL is included in this archive. U-Boot is under active development and can be found at http://u-boot.sourceforge.net/.
2. Reasons to update
As was mentioned above, upgrading your firmware is potentially dangerous, and therefore only recommended under certain circumstances. If the update is not required to run a new revision of the operating system, you should think twice before you change a working system. It is only recommended to upgrade if there is a new feature/hardware support or a general problem with your machine that would be cured by the update.
3. How to update
This update comes in one of two forms. The 'Floppy' edition contains a standalone U-Boot bootable image that can be directly written to a floppy disk and booted, or loaded via a network boot. The 'ISO' edition contains a bootable ISO image that can be written to a blank CD-R.
3.1 Floppy Edition update
The file “updater.image” needs to be written to a floppy as raw data. Under GNU/Linux, the easiest way to do this is to use the 'dd' command. Insert a blank floppy into your floppy drive, open a shell then type the following at the shell prompt:
dd if=updater.image of=/dev/floppy
The string '/dev/floppy' denotes the special device node that represents your floppy disk. Most Linux distributions use a name like /dev/floppy or /dev/fd0. You should consult the manual of your Linux distribution to find the correct name.
On AmigaOS, a number of programs exist to write raw data to a floppy. One such example is the TrackDOS program, or the FLAT file handler. Consult the documentation of these programs for details on how to write the image.
If you want to use Windows, a program rawrite.exe can be used. This is frequently used to write boot disks, for example for Linux installations.
Once the floppy is prepared, reboot your AmigaOne/Teron and escape from the menu (by pressing ESC twice and then selecting “Go to U-Boot shell”). On the U-Boot command line enter the following:
fdcboot ; bootm
After some time, there should be a message about “AmigaOne Firmware Updater” or similar on screen. Continue to read in section 3.4 below.
3.2 Floppy Edition over a network
The 'updater.image' program can be booted via network. You must have a tftpboot server accessible from your AmigaOne/Teron machine (the setup of such a server is beyond the scope of this README; also, there are other methods to boot via BOOTP or DHCP which are also not covered here).
A bit of setup is required on the AmigaOne/Teron side. First of all, verify that the variable ethaddr is set up to your machine's internal hardware ethernet address (U-Boot should have done that automatically already). Secondly make sure that you have a correct server IP address set up in the serverip variable. Third, your own machine's IP address should be set up in the ipaddr variable.
To boot the image, from the U-Boot prompt enter setenv autostart yes tftpboot 500000 updater.image
After some rows of '#' characters, a message about “AmigaOne Firmware Updater” or similar should appear on screen. Continue to read in section 3.4 below.
3.3 ISO/CD Edition
You need to have access to a machine with a CD-Burner. The ISO archive contains a plain bootable ISO-CDROM-Image that can be written to a CD-ROM directly (i.e. don't select “bootable CD” or similar when creating the CD – the ISO already contains all info that makes it bootable). For this purpose the burner program should have a function to write a raw image.
If you are using GNU/Linux, you can use the xcdroast program. On AmigaOS, a program like FryingPan or MakeCD can be used. Under Windows, any program that can write raw images can be used.
Once you have transferred the image to a CD-ROM, reboot your AmigaOne and enter the U-Boot prompt as described in 3.1.
The next step depends on the firmware version you are currently using. If your current firmware is from a date prior to February 2005, boot the CD by entering diskboot 500000 :0
Replace with the number that corresponds to your CD-ROM drive (the the table 'ide device mappings' below). Your machine might or might not be set up for automatic booting. If the machine returns to the prompt after a second or two, you need to explicitly start the image by entering
bootm
from the prompt. A message about “AmigaOne Firmware Updater” should appear on the screen shortly; continue to read in section 3.4.
If your current firmware is from after February 2005, the command line to boot the image looks slightly different:
diskboot 500000 :0
Here, is again the number that corresponds to your CD-ROM drive (as described in the table 'ide device mappings' below). The number specifies which controller is used for booting. The mapping is outlined in the table below ('ide controller mappings'). Also note that if your machine is not set up for automatic booting, you need to give the 'bootm' command to start the boot process.
CD-Rom location Device number
Primary Master 0
Primary Slave 1
Secondary Master 2
Secondary Slave 3
Table 1 IDE device mappings
Controller ID-Number
On-Board VIA controller 0
PCI Silicon Images Parallel ATA controller 1
PCI Silicon Images Serial SATA controller 2
Table 2 IDE controller mappings
3.4 The updater
Once the image has booted, you will be presented with a warning message. On the first page press return to continue. On the second page, you are required to enter the letters 'o' and 'k'. If you do so you will accept all responsibilities if the process fails! Read the warnings above before you press 'o' and 'k'. Immediately after you pressed 'k' the re-flashing process starts. This usually only takes about 15 seconds.
You will be notified if the updater finds and problem. After the update is finished, the updater will output a few lines of information and ask you to reset the machine (it will usually reset itself after 5 seconds). You should verify the firmware date is correct after the boot by entering the 'version' command from the U-Boot prompt.
4. What is new in this release
The following is a short run-down of the changes in this release of the firmware:
1. Numerous fixes in the x86 emulator (thanks to the folks at Scitech).
2. Completely reworked IDE code (thanks to Andrea Valinotto). Boot devices can now be selected in the boot setup menu according to your needs. Note that if you have no devices connected to the internal VIA controller you might want to set the variable ide_maxbus to 0 to speed up booting.
3. New 'video' options page in the menu. Right now, the only choice is to boot from either a PCI or AGP video card. If “PCI” is selected, any AGP card (or the internal Radeon® chip in a MicroA1/TeronMini) is ignored (albeit initialized) and the primary display/firmware menu will open on a PCI graphics card (if inserted). Otherwise, an AGP card (or internal graphics chip) is used. If only one card is inserted, this card is used in any case.
4. (Preliminary) support for the Catweasel Mark IV controller by Individual Computers. For more info on the Catweasel, visit http://www.ami.ga/.
The Catweasel Amiga keyboard support can be enabled by setting the variable “stdin” to “amikbd”, i.e. from the U-Boot prompt enter (you need a PS/2 or USB keyboard connected before doing this):
setenv stdin amikbd saveenv
5. Numerous internal bug fixes
5. Support
If you have questions concerning U-Boot, write a mail to u-boot@hyperion-entertainment.biz.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-May-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-May-2017 16:59:16
#22 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Installing AmigaOS on AmigaONE I will suggest disabling USB under installation, use PS2 ports instead. I will advise agent having plugged in anything you don't absolutely need under installation.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-May-2017 18:08:27
#23 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I was able to download the firmware from the link Tomppeli provided without logging in. From IBrowse of all things.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-May-2017 18:10:45
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

He he, looks like firmware is available for everyone , with out login inn

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-May-2017 at 06:11 PM.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 5-May-2017 18:34:32
#25 ]

@pearson101

Sorry, hard drive has too many files just to make an image.

But two questions.. where are you?
I ask this because the next step is to invite you to a SACC meeting (Sacramento, CA USA)

I could double check the status of your machine, etc
----------
There are several versions of U-Boot, but if you are running a version prior to U-Boot 1.0.0 then you will not be able to run OS4.
This article is about U-boot 1.1.1 available on the last OS4 update. You'll have to install it from there. This process is not as easy as installing software, so if you don't feel you'll be able to do it, please contact a friend, your user group or your dealer.
----------------

Where did you dig up this old board? Did the previous owner give you the docs, etc???

Go to intuitionbase.com to find great info on A1-G3 and A1-G4

Last edited by SACC-dude on 05-May-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Last edited by SACC-dude on 05-May-2017 at 06:36 PM.

pearson101 
Posted on 5-May-2017 19:37:30
#26 ]

@Hypex

Thanks for the advise hypex

All i got with the board was the pre release amiga os 4.0 which hboot does not detect due to needed to be updated. And Debian woody 3.0- and 3.0 r2 x6 disks aswell with the amigaone install disk for susex 7.3 which nearly installs but fails on the base installation side.
I did not get any firmware utility flashing disks with the system

thanks

pearson101 
Posted on 5-May-2017 20:10:58
#27 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

thanks for getting back i little further but no luck i think the rom has been locked as the updater cd fails

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/cadescam/media/IMG_20170505_101942_zpsnjsbl3n3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

pearson101 
Posted on 5-May-2017 20:13:08
#28 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

hi

thanks for getting back i little further but no luck i think the rom has been locked as the updater cd fails please see link below

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/cadescam/media/IMG_20170505_101942_zpsnjsbl3n3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

pearson101 
Posted on 5-May-2017 20:13:50
#29 ]

@Hypex

@NutsAboutAmiga

thanks for getting back i little further but no luck i think the rom has been locked as the updater cd fails

pearson101 
Posted on 5-May-2017 20:29:57
#30 ]

@SACC-dude

hi thanks for helping out but i live in the uk

yeah i think the rom has been locked down as the cd wont flash comes up with exception errors with code variables etc not good

Geri 
Posted on 5-May-2017 22:46:33
#31 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Quote:
pearson101 wrote:
@pearson101

I have tried everything accept flashing the bios h-boot has anybody got a copy and flashing tools to do this as i am really stuck on this one if you have that will be great i will try to update the bios.

Also can anyone remember the person who could re-flash the bios chip to the latest firmware, that will be great for the information- i have also read on another forum somewhere that somebody called sven from switzerland i recall from the article who was one of the original developers who could only re-flash the chip but i am not sure on this one this was going back to 2008 when this post was mentioned a long time back lol.

You could order a new flash ROM IC, as mentioned in one of my previous post.

I did that a long time ago to have a backup ROM in case something goes wrong on a firmware update. Back then I extracted the U-Boot image from the updater image and bought a new pre-programmed flash ROM from www.biosflash.com (IIRC). As far as I can see, they still offer you the possibility to program custom firmware images, if you leave a comment on ordering and send them the firmware image by e-Mail afterwards. All in all it doesn't cost more than 15€.

BTW: And while you are at it you can also order a chip puller for the removal of the existing flash ROM IC.

I'll check how I extracted the U-Boot image from the updater image back then, if you are interested.

Last edited by Geri on 05-May-2017 at 10:50 PM.

- A1 Linux support -

pearson101 
Posted on 6-May-2017 8:40:38
#32 ]

@Geri
hi geri

thanks for your help info i will be very interested in this method on how you extracted the boot image from the updater that will be great if you can supply me the info

many thanks

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 6-May-2017 9:29:32
#33 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

So from your screenshot, the "Compressed Image" has CRC error. So I guess it was not loaded correctly, this might be an issue with the CD / CROM, or cables or RAM, even power supply.

I don't think uboot loads anything using DMA, so I don't think that DMA is issue, but I believe there are some options in uboot menu.

Press ESC while booting, type "Menu" in uboot shell.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 06-May-2017 at 09:31 AM.

pearson101 
Posted on 6-May-2017 10:44:55
#34 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

thanks for the info i will try a different drive and check the cables ram etc just to see if a can get linux working

Also i am going down the route of replacing the bios with the latest version; Just ordered a new chip for the bios to be written as mine is locked

i will update yeah when i get more info

many thanks

Geri 
Posted on 6-May-2017 11:41:23
#35 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Quote:
pearson101 wrote:
@Geri
hi geri

thanks for your help info i will be very interested in this method on how you extracted the boot image from the updater that will be great if you can supply me the info

It turned out to be quite easy, if you have a Linux system available. I assume that you have already burned the updater.iso to a CD or you can extract all files from the ISO image to a directory.

1. Open a shell
2. cd to the directory that contains the UPDATER.IMA file
2. run: tail -c 524288 UPDATER.IMA > ~/u-boot-1.1.1.raw

This gives you the raw binary U-Boot v1.1.1 image in your home directory.

- A1 Linux support -

pearson101 
Posted on 6-May-2017 11:49:36
#36 ]

@Geri

thanks a million will try this now

Geri 
Posted on 6-May-2017 14:02:14
#37 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Quote:
pearson101 wrote:
@Geri

thanks a million will try this now

BTW: you need to order a AM29F040B flash ROM (=5V type, PLCC32). Look up the flash ROM IC on your A1SE motherboard for the exact number (e.g. for speed grade - although I think it is not that critical).

- A1 Linux support -

pearson101 
Posted on 6-May-2017 15:59:29
#38 ]

@Geri

Thanks geri
i have now ordered one and sent the extracted rom to the guy in germany excellent i cant wait to get this working

thanks everyone for your help could not of done this without your efforts and kindness

i will keep you up to date of my progress lol

Hypex 
Posted on 7-May-2017 16:37:39
#39 ]
Elite Member

@pearson101

Quote:

I only see the same picture for my installer. Is there a picture missing?

pearson101 
Posted on 7-May-2017 19:04:48
#40 ]

@Hypex
Hi no that's the only picture I took. I will try again once I got the firmware installed and let you know how I get on

Thanks for the support. Great

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle