Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 160 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  pixie,  AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  52 secs ago
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 mins ago
 VooDoo:  12 mins ago
 pavlor:  18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  19 mins ago
 Matt3k:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  26 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  How cool AmigaOS on mobile devices will be?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
resle 
Re: How cool AmigaOS on mobile devices will be?
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 11:39:32
#21 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
and you will find sure young electronics skilled people who will gladly assemble any unbranded new phone device

no.

If one had to summarize in one word what ravaged the amiga communities, what causes 99% of the flamewars, what lured good willed members to throw money or even just enthusiasm into vaporware:

oversimplification.

"Let's put together some hardware components... done!"
"Let's slap this OS on this other hardware, easy"
"64 bits is double 32, hence double the performance! woo-hoo"
"Here's a linux distro, we'll mix it with OS4 and then... whatever! Magic!"
"Oh a new Freescale cpu, now let's run some Amiga OS on it.. will work, right?"

etc. etc.

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 11:49:51
#22 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

Like on every mobile device by tapping on the element and kept it tapped for a long time with the finger...

On which element? pull down menus are global to the screen/app, not specific to an element.

Contextual menus are another matter.

Dunno what you intend...

It is ages that on MorphOS pull down menus are available on any part of the screen, just pressing right mousebutton.

It should be common to invoke it by just press end keep pressed on any void part of the screen.

Contextual menus just appear when you keep a window or a software window selected and you press right mousebutton on its surface.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 11:53:51
#23 ]

@resle

Quote:

resle wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:
and you will find sure young electronics skilled people who will gladly assemble any unbranded new phone device

no.

If one had to summarize in one word what ravaged the amiga communities, what causes 99% of the flamewars, what lured good willed members to throw money or even just enthusiasm into vaporware:

oversimplification.

"Let's put together some hardware components... done!"
"Let's slap this OS on this other hardware, easy"
"64 bits is double 32, hence double the performance! woo-hoo"
"Here's a linux distro, we'll mix it with OS4 and then... whatever! Magic!"
"Oh a new Freescale cpu, now let's run some Amiga OS on it.. will work, right?"

etc. etc.

What are you talking about?

I mean you made an ugly mess of various different topics here... (and mixed with some humor issues)...

that's unrelated with our discussions...

Any self assembled phone will work with AROS only if we could put AROS in a standard firmware chip that initializes that hardware, and with AROS containing drivers that pilote the hardware.

STOP!

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Rose 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 11:55:18
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 11:57:08
#25 ]

@Rose

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 11:59:02
#26 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

October maybe, ready for AmiWest.

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 12:08:52
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Magellan supported that even 1998

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 12:10:27
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

It will totally not work, application won't fit, onto the screen, if they need to be scaled to fit, in that case buttons will be too small, or need to use over scan mode scroll the screen, in this case it be totally user unfriendly.

I can tell you right now, the program I'm working on right now, has Its own integrated context menus, even if you change Mui, that won't affect programs like mine.

Sure you can change the way Workbench menus work, that might help a bit.
But there is lots of other problems with this that was pointed out before by Leo, as well.

Hardware does not solve the problem, its a software issue.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 12:18:06
#29 ]

Quote:
what about stability? These devices cannot be restarted because a bad app did something horrible

Add a reset switch to the device. Or remove the battery.

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 12:19:12
#30 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

+1

modern websites use a number of technologies like HTML5 to solve that, there are special toolkits like Bootstrap for mobile apps. You must be able to scale and adapt everything dynamically and automatically, it is not only some new classes, it would mean a complete rewrite of MUI or whatever toolkit you use.

Another problem is security, all amiga related platforms are extremely insecure

The third problem is... market is already covered by Android and iPhone. You have plenty of Apps for both platforms so even if you would offer a modern mobile ready platform noone would use it because of no apps.

It is wishful thinking, nothing else...

Tomppeli 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 12:20:31
#31 ]

@resle

Quote:
oversimplification

That's maybe one of the best posts I've seen on Amigaworld.net.

Oversimplification. It's so easy.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 12:50:01
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
We are not fantasizing. We are just making hypoteses on alternative scenarios and I feel to affirm that AmigaOS will be sure lesser resource consuming than competitor Operating Systems.

If it's not fantasy name one single phone or tablet device on which MorphOS or Amiga OS could run on.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 13:02:49
#33 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Although I don't believe AmigaOS on a mobile would work, I would love Apple, Android, and other mobile developers would reintroduce some old OS/HW features (fat scroll bars, tactile selector devices, etc.) to make smart phones easier to use for people who have been rendered disabled by capacitive touchscreen technology.

A Tirade Against Today's Technology Trends

ntromans 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 13:10:09
#34 ]

Back about seven years or so ago I built myself an AROS powered tablet using a VIA picoITX board. It had a 8"x6" touchscreen (nice simple 4 wire resistive) and I used a pointer from a Nintendo DS to handle the little gadgets. The mouse pop-up issue was just side-stepped by having a button on the case to pop up the menu. It worked really well, the only major problem being that there was no driver for the audio on the VIA board.

Unfortunately, that board ran incredibly hot (if you touched the serial port you could actually get a mild burn) and after just over a year's use it refused to boot, basically becuase I think it burnt itself out. One of these days I might get around to purchasing a new picoITX board to resurect this, but right now I'm still using the little Samsung netbook I relaced the tablet with as my very mobile device (which does have audio support for AROS ).

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. I do really miss the touchscreen interface - it honestly worked really well with the UI as it stands. One of these days I'll get around to adding one to my Compaq laptop.

Last edited by ntromans on 01-Jun-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ntromans on 01-Jun-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 13:30:04
#35 ]

Quote:

It is ages that on MorphOS pull down menus are available on any part of the screen, just pressing right mousebutton.

It should be common to invoke it by just press end keep pressed on any void part of the screen.

How do you know a part of the screen is "void" ? Remember there's no pointer before you touch the screen on a touch device.

What do you do if there are no "void" parts in the screen ?

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 13:47:27
#36 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Raffaele

It will totally not work, application won't fit, onto the screen, if they need to be scaled to fit, in that case buttons will be too small, or need to use over scan mode scroll the screen, in this case it be totally user unfriendly.

I can tell you right now, the program I'm working on right now, has Its own integrated context menus, even if you change Mui, that won't affect programs like mine.

Can't we invoke something like FORCE FIT applied automatically to any software directly from screen properties if we install AmigaOS on a device that features a fixed screen resolution like 1920x1080 HD LCD present on recent smartphones?

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 14:06:49
#37 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

How do you know a part of the screen is "void" ? Remember there's no pointer before you touch the screen on a touch device.

What do you do if there are no "void" parts in the screen ?

Then just slide top-down the screen border as it happens in Android to reveal WiFi, Bluetooth, Display luminosity and so on...
It will be a very Amigan experience to unveil pop-down menus with such a gesture, and perhaps I suggest developers to replace Amiga+M, Amiga+N keys with slide left and right borders to reveal other Software running in their proprietary screens. It does make sense to me and it will be again very amiga-ish experience

And BTW Why the heck are you asking me your objections... I am not a developer.
As an user I can suggest what aspect I prefer for the interface, and asking coders if some solutions are better than others, but then it is matter of developers telling us if these are feasable and how much time and money it will cost him/them to implement such a feature.

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2017 at 02:08 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 14:10:07
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
If it's not fantasy name one single phone or tablet device on which MorphOS or Amiga OS could run on.

Actually it was tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bghlbjmzzqo

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 02:15 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 14:24:35
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

So you need to replace workbench with something else, all applications will need a new user interface, large buttons. To be easy point and click with finger with using a pen, a monitor this days is normally 16:9 or 16:10, so normally the Desktop GUI is normal oriented in columns, on mobile phone, you need to show less on the screen due, smaller screen, forget pixel resolution all that, people need to have font that is readable. People need to able to hit the correct button, dragging around windows or screens is not where efficient. In the end, we are talking about totally different user experience.

You also need a new way of typing text, unless you go for black Barry like phone, but this telephones west urge surface on keyboard, which is only needed, when you type. Over complicated and stupid design.

Another problem is general the Amiga User interface, is not UTF8, you cannot display UTF8 in Reaction/MUI, you cannot handle Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Indonesian, and probably lots of other languages.

In sense, AmigaOS is not ready for global world, where documents in different languages can be sent to etch other, because applications is still stuck in codepage dominated world.

It's not big problem for me that only know Norwegian and English, but I'm only one in big population. This is not going to kick off, unless this things are being solved.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jun-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 16:04:34
#40 ]
Elite Member

If you would really like to enter such a makret it is clear that not a vanila AmigaOS/AROS/MorphOS would be satisfying and lead to soem success, but a specially tailored mobile version of it.
It would probably be not too much work as for gadgets and buttons MorphOS/MUI is fully skinabe. Not a big problem.
Integrating a software keyboard is also no biggie. MorphOS has a nice battery management as well as sofware screen brightness control etc.. Technically it would be rather easy using AROS or MorphOS to make a mobile OS out of it. But technical things are one thing - in real life this is highestly unlikely as there is no demand, no money, no interest.
It's only some fantazising around which you could rate delusional, useless or romantic (depends on your personal POV or actual mood).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle