Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Kromjuice:  7 mins ago
 Matt3k:  28 mins ago
 Kronos:  58 mins ago
 Framiga:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  How cool AmigaOS on mobile devices will be?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: How cool AmigaOS on mobile devices will be?
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 16:40:21
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

People tried to explain you... any of our platforms are missing most of the features to be considered serious platform

Second problem... even if someone with a very very big pocket and even accepting to risk loosing most of it would have a big problem because there are not that many experienced developers left who could do it

and even when a new modern OS would be there who will write the software for it? It would still have a small user base compared to the modern mainstream platforms

if you talk about smartphones (as I have already written) Microsoft tried to establsh Windows Phone as a new platform competing with Android and iPhones and they failed because of no apps despite their known name, the money and ressources. I see no chances there, market has decided. The only thing that might be interesting to preinstall UAE there to play games on it for retro purposes. But that already exists.

Profile     Report this post  
DC_Edge 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 20:13:47
#62 ]

@OlafS25

+1
See for example jolla who brought a new mobile os that's able to run many android apps, and that is constantly near bankrupcy despite it's a really nice and modern os....
Not enough users, too expansive, the phones are overpriced....

Last edited by DC_Edge on 07-Jun-2017 at 08:14 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 20:40:14
#63 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Raffaele

I've read so much dreaming in amigaland for 20 years, where has it evolved, exactly?

Now that's a very curious strange question from a man who is known of the most actives to keep alive the dream of AROS despite 2/3 of Amigans, the Morphers and the Miggies consider it as being Not Amiga at all...

Trying to kiddishly bring the discussion on a personal domain does neither answer to my question, nor bring any valuable argument to this "how cool would be AmigaOS on smartphones" insane discussion. As I told many times to dreaming losers (here and elsewhere), neither AmigaOS, nor MorphOS or AROS would look any different than a horror movie or a tragic-comic mistake, once placed onto a phone. Other people told you why and I am just sick to repeat.

You said dreaming brings evolution. Then show me the evolution this platform had, after all this dreaming. The API is the same of 20 years ago. Promised new features like 64bits, SMP and Gallium3D arived... on AROS. AmigaOS 4.1 uses bank switching to manage >2GB of RAM (wow! my Commodore 128 did the same) and memory protection is a joke (not so different than the one even AROS - again - has). New PPC hardware is laughably underpowered and pricey, even compared to a $250 smartphone (let alone PCs or Macs), and companies currently dealing with Amiga trademarks and intellectual properties are fighting like chiwawas for a biscuit, instead of sitting around a table and propose something REAL to advance the platform. Dreaming just make you suffer more.

As for what former/current amigans think, I guess you should ask somewhere else than on known AmigaOS4-kindergardens: you'd be surprised to discover how much hate is being reserved to the whole "AmigaOS 4.x on pricey, half-supported, underopowered exotic PPC hardware" operation. They don't consider it Amiga at all, while at least AROS runs on real Amiga computers.

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 21:10:09
#64 ]

@OlafS25

You still missed the point and judge a dream or a wish the fact I imagined a scenario and I NOT proposed in any way to realize AmigaOS for mobile devices.

Do you perceive this subtle but relevant difference?

Again all are talking of Amiga lacking fearures and not being considered a serious platform...

Me too...

Ding Dong!!! Do acquiring my opinion rings a bell in your head?

Yes. I am perfectly aware of the situation but it deems I am alone in complaining we lost lots of time, in which our community kept shrinking dramatically by waiting for features that were promised eons ago and introduced too slowly and full of limitations, due to the fact none of the two competitors had courage to abandon old Amiga legacies, and AROD renounced any advacement of the OS by sparing features from underneath Operating Systems running hosted in a window.

This makes AROS being not the native full-featured master of the computer/laptop/device in which it runs, but just a complicate sovrastructure offering nothing to the user, rather that mimicking Amiga behaviour (unuseful for Linux or Windows common user) and being not even a quick responsive graphical interface that could have pleased Linux or Windows users convincing them to use AROS as alternative interface to those standard in their systems.

I conclude this discussion pointing how abnormal is reaction of amiga community to mine or other discussion.

Here is example of a quite normal community to my thread:

- /me:" Hey people! I found Android sucks as it is memory eating. AmigaOS had had been cool on a mobile device."

- /normal reaction I expected from a healty community: "Yeah man! You are right. How many occasions we lost!"

And this is the over-reaction I experienced from Amiga community.

- /Always misunderstanding nervous community: "You are just a fanboy!"

- "You propose the impossible! Amiga lacks of features!"

- "Go learn C and realize it yourself!"

Aw! People go get a life, take breath, drink some mild warm milk, or an aperitif if you prefer a bit of alchool before dinner and make a smile.

If you all think you answered right to my topic with the above sentences then it is the sign hiw much this community degenerated and it is uncapable of rejuvenate.

You welcome my topics as utopics, and not as simple statements as they are.

You are all too nervous and over-reacting.

This is a bad sign community is on the verge collapsing and nothing will take it up again.

Reason I found is that we await too much for the new releases of Operating Systems that were expected to be released months (AmigaOS 4.2) or years ago (MorphOS 3.10) and still missed to be released.

At this point of stagnation I feel confident to advice both commercial teams to release their Operating System versions sooner than possible, or they will face a complete debacle, as none will be anymore interested to buy it.

You are warned people. I made my advice by considering current situation. I take no responsibilities as I am not in charge of any development.

Now that discussion take another direction and revealed how tired, and nervous this community is, I want to launch an appeal to Trevor Dickinson based upon the moral suasion he has on Hyperion and on MorphOS Team.

Please Trevor inform yourself with discretion regarding development of AmigaOS and MorphOS and if you find they still not release their versions as they are awaiting the competitor move, as imn a perpetual statlemate in the game of chess, please drive them to a quick solution.

From this over-reaction I am facing to this thread, for the first time I sensed bad omen about this community.

Hope God does not want it!

Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 09:54 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 21:32:09
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
it deems I am alone in complaining we lost lots of time, in which our community kept shrinking dramatically by waiting for features that were promised eons ago

yes you are very much ahead of us all in noticing how much time we have lost.. waiting and dreaming. thank you for supplying us with even more remote ideas to discuss about.

Quote:
and AROD renounced any advacement of the OS by sparing features from underneath Operating Systems running hosted in a window.

thank you for informing me that aros is only a hosted file manager, not actually a real operating system. i would have probably never discovered this myself running it on my amigas. i always thought it was native.

Last edited by wawa on 07-Jun-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 07-Jun-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 21:57:26
#66 ]

@wawa

Your sarcasm seems a bit stale... I hope you could refresh it with a bit of humor in the future...

wawa 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 22:04:41
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
I hope you could refresh it with a bit of humor in the future...

lead the way!

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 22:21:21
#68 ]

@paolone

Quote:

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Raffaele

[quote]Now that's a very curious strange question from a man who is known of the most actives to keep alive the dream of AROS despite 2/3 of Amigans, the Morphers and the Miggies consider it as being Not Amiga at all...

Trying to kiddishly bring the discussion on a personal domain does neither answer to my question, nor bring any valuable argument to this "how cool would be AmigaOS on smartphones" insane discussion.

I think I expressed my thoughts very clear.

You are another who think I am proposing developing AmigaOS for Mobile and it was not my point.

If you think so, it seems that you can't understand plain statements in english language.

I am aware english is not my first language, but being misunderstanded so bad it is true frustrating.

By the way if you think question I made you was to divert discussion from your distorted point of view, as you understood no even a single club from what i mean (detto in italiano: "Non hai capito una mazza Paolo!") now you deserve all the help you need.

Gee people... Overcome other people intent and giving super-sense to a simple affirming AmigaOS in other situations had been cool and had had gave more satisfying sense even to mobile experience it is more than considering "insane" my discussion.

Sure you got smoke strong good weed, people if you overcome my intents dreaming I was asking for AmigaOS mobile.

Seriously.

Please tell me who is your pusher. I want some as yours.

Re-read whole thread from the very start, check the point where you gave another sense to my words and wipe carefully dust out from your brains before writing comments.

Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 22:49:40
#69 ]

@thread

In the meanwhile I made another discovery on my father Lenovo Motorola G4 plus.

I created me as guest in his environment...

And SURPRISE!

I found a guest user takes 550 Megabytes out of Flash ROM for settings.

Now I could understood if Operating System will allocate 20, or even 30 megabytes for a guest user...

I mean, what the heck does Android memorize of my profile out of simply storing permissions and settings?

Does it keeps store of all last sites I visited on Chrome and Firefox? It will take not more than 10 Megabytes...

Does it downloaded my entire GMAIL account contents in order to offer me my entire mailbox off-line experience?

And it will take 40 or 50 max megabytes...

But people! This mumbo-jumbo guest user stolen 550 Megabytes!!!

Consuming half a Gigabyte is beyond my comprehension.

So then in a family of 4 persons, if I want to create other three guests users (mom, dad and bro) then Android had had consumed 1,5 Gigabytes of precious Flash ROM...

Sure this justifies the rush for people to spend all their money for phone models sporting more than 32 Gigabytes of free space.

It is a normal behaviour resolving the lacks of an operating system so resource wasting by buying redundant hardware.

(For example MS-DOS and then Windows washed consumers heads for almost 25 years convincing them to buy new hardware, new expansions, bigger hard disks for compensating OS flaws and resource consuming)

And you who call me insane me for affirming AmigaOS on these devices had consumed lesser resources.

Now sure the reality is more insane than you could ever affirm on this whole discussion I started about how lesser resource consuming had it been any hypotetical AmigaOS for mobile.

(Note the underline below the word "hypotetical" before open your mouths and start commenting.)

Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 07-Jun-2017 at 10:52 PM.

resle 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 23:17:49
#70 ]
Cult Member

@all

perhaps no one realized that Raffaele's line of thought is as basic as
"Android takes a lot of space, AmigaOS doesn'r, so it's better for a mobile device"

His understanding of software doesn't seem to go beyond that.

Let me see if I can speak to him in his own logic:
Raffaele, yes Android can take a few gb of space on your phone.
AmigaOS would take much, much less.

Do you know why AmigaOS takes much, much less space?
Because it doesn't support any of the other 3594 technologies and devices and protocols anf whatnots that Android supports.

You know what will happe once your dreams come true and AmigaOS supports those, and has a touch ui and can be used on a phone?...
..... it will be as big as Android

(To me, that people didn't understand Raffaele's way of (not) thinking and argumented for 70 posts, is even more surprising than his lack of simple logic itself)

OneTimer1 
Posted on 7-Jun-2017 23:51:30
#71 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Making an AmigaOS phone is easy.

1. Get a team of people that can customise an older Android with AmigaOS4 Skins and put it onto some cheap hardware.

2. Get a licence
3. Advertise it.

Now you have your AmigaOS Phone but Parts 2 and 3 might be more difficult than the development and customizing part.

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Jun-2017 1:19:45
#72 ]

@resle

Not completely true but is one of the points...

But despite of the others people you got the spirit I was talking per hypoteses.

And by the way AmigaOS has always taken lesser space than any other Operating Systems not by a lack of technologies but because its code it is more compact.

(it is a very known fact any AmigaOS program takes very few space than its counterparts in other OSes doing the same tasks and presenting same features)

Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Jun-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Jun-2017 1:22:37
#73 ]

@OneTimer1

Quote:

OneTimer1 wrote:
@Raffaele

Making an AmigaOS phone is easy.

1. Get a team of people that can customise an older Android with AmigaOS4 Skins and put it onto some cheap hardware.

2. Get a licence
3. Advertise it.

Now you have your AmigaOS Phone but Parts 2 and 3 might be more difficult than the development and customizing part.

So you not read all discussions I made then.

I do not want any darn AmigaOS mobile!!!!!!

What's up with you people?
And it not only with me.
I read almost dozillions discussions in Amigaworld site where who started thread says "A" and dozens people understood "B".
It is like pointing the moon and bystanders stare at the finger.

This kind of misundestood occurs mainly on teorical discussions, luckily not on help requests, as you point the problem and you got always people who understand how to resolve issues.

Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Jun-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Jun-2017 at 01:56 AM.

resle 
Posted on 8-Jun-2017 3:02:32
#74 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
@resle
But despite of the others people you got the spirit I was talking per hypoteses.

Make no mistake, I still think this thread is retarded...

Quote:
And by the way AmigaOS has always taken lesser space than any other Operating Systems not by a lack of technologies but because its code it is more compact.

...and the statement above is well beyond retarded:
it's dismissive of any knowledge patiently shared by people who understand engineering, and based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

As I said, I rarely saw such an oversimplification feast.

Someone asked why such threads don't simply go ignored/laughed off: it's because they border insult. Such threads are a painful display of the general lack of understanding of the complexity behind things, whether we are talking about software, or watchmaking, or dna sequencing or whatever.

For people who have spent entire lives delving into that kind of complexity, it's heartbreaking to realize how others can't see it, can't see it at all, and even worse - they think they got it all figured out.

Last edited by resle on 08-Jun-2017 at 03:02 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle