Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  52 secs ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  11 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  25 mins ago
 Matt3k:  25 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  31 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Email (YAM version 2.7) problem - Solved
Register To Post

PosterThread
Ned 
Email (YAM version 2.7) problem - Solved
Posted on 22-Sep-2017 18:11:32
#1 ]
Cult Member

I am running YAM version 2.7 on my uA1c with OS4.1 Final Edition. I have been running this for a while but recently I began getting a lot a rejected emails which I had not sent. I guess may account had been hacked. I contacted by email provider and have changed my password. I can successfully check my email via OWB and my providers webmail URL. However, after updating my password in YAM's configuration/first steps page, I cannot get my mail. I then checked the Yam.log file and see the problem (I think) but have no idea how to fix it. The Yam.log file is:

09/22/2017 11:46 AM [00] YAM started
09/22/2017 11:46 AM [01] Logged in as user 'John Doe'
09/22/2017 11:46 AM [30] Retrieved 0 message(s) from POP3 account 'nedkelly@ticnet.com'
09/22/2017 11:46 AM [99] YAM terminated

I guess the problem is that for some reason Yam thinks I am 'John Doe'. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Ned on 23-Sep-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Xenic 
Re: Email (YAM version 2.7) problem
Posted on 22-Sep-2017 19:21:25
#2 ]

@Ned
I use v2.7 too. The 'Jon Doe' is either the name you placed in 'Settings/Configuration/First Steps/Real Name' or you left it blank and Yam is using 'Jon Doe' as your Real Name. If you open the 'Settings/Configuration/users' window I think you should see the same 'Real Name' under the 'User name' label. It's been so long since I set up my email account that I don't now if the name is needed by the server or just used internally by YAM to identify you as the USER.

Ned 
Posted on 22-Sep-2017 21:55:58
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Xenic

My user name in Settings/Configuration/First Steps is "Ned Kelly". In Settings/Configuration/users the user name was "John Doe" and the password was blank. I changed the user name there to "Ned Kelly" and the password to match what I had under First Steps. Now when I start Yam, I have to enter my password (which I was not doing before), but when I go to Get my mail, it still fails (in the same way). I guess I should have said that what fails is that I get an error message requestor that says:
Couldn't initialize TLSv1/SSLv3 session
with host 'cp.ntelec.net' of account
'nedkelly@ticnet.com'
I had assumed that this was a password problem, but maybe this is trying to tell me something else? I believe that SSL should be up and running as that is why I am still using version 2.7 (I don't think the later versions support it for some reason).

Ned 
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 16:51:03
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Ned

After thinking about this some more, I finally realized that the above error message about not being able to initialize TLSv1/SSLv3 sounded familiar. A few years back my email provider made some changes to the server to enhance security and made the use of SSL a requirement (this is when I had to revert to the earlier version of YAM which I am now using since it seems to be the latest one which supports SSL). When all this occurred I had to make some changes to my YAM/Configuration/TCP/IP settings. I needed to change the send mail port to 465 and the receive mail port to 995. I just got through checking this stuff and found that my send mail port was OK, but my receive mail port had reverted to what I guess is the default of 110. I changed this to 995 and now things seem to be working fine,

I just wish I knew how this receive mail port got changed. I absolutely know that I did not modify it. I can't believe that someone hacked into my uA1c and did this. Has anyone else ever had mysterious things like this happen, and if so, did you ever figure out how?

Ned 
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 20:33:38
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Ned

OK, I finally see exactly what happened. With YAM version 2.7, when you change the password on the Configuration/First Steps screen, there are some unexpected consequences on the Configuration/TCP/IP screen.The first thing is that the password in the Send mail (SMTP) window does not change. You need to manually change it to what you want it to be. The other thing is that in the Receive mail (POP3) screen the password is change to match what is on the First Steps screen, but for some reason the port number on the Server/Port line is reset to 110 (which I guess is some sort of default and was the cause of my problem getting mail). The server name is not touched. I have no idea whether or not this weird behavior exists in the later versions of YAM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle