Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 min ago
 Hypex:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  5 mins ago
 VooDoo:  9 mins ago
 pavlor:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 Matt3k:  19 mins ago
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  To be or not to be
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: To be or not to be
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 9:08:13
#41 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

in its current form hosted is limited because you have no direct access to the underlying OS

Example is MESA that is software based and not directly uses the underlying 3D subsystem. Or USB support that is missing. If hosted would improve there it would potentially be best option for Aros. In its current form it does what it was designed for... as base for the Aros OS developers

Profile     Report this post  
kolla 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 9:26:13
#42 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Yes, integration could be better. I don't care about 3D, and only use CLI tools of the host OS, and do the "integration" through shared filesystems and socket files for communication, just like the native host OS programs typically do.

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 12:35:18
#43 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Good point. OS without 2D, 3D accelleration is to me a waste of time. It is like IBM-PC in the old days and why Amiga with so much weaker CPU could play rings around it in games and multimedia.

Srtest 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 13:09:13
#44 ]

A bunch of the same names having the same discussion claiming to know what's the next logical step for Amiga even though they can't see one centimeter beyond their bubble or live past their schoolyard "my computer is better than yours" sentiment.

Sure the Raspberry is a great little thing only it needs a kind of os model where you can take a part of it and just fit it right in to go along its hardware model. Like a sort of mobile, unattached hardware/software combo which can take pieces of the os and fit them with computing objects shaped with the model of the Rapsberry in mind. Is AOS at that stage? no because the philosophy beind it was never like that and considering what you usually are suggesting about the next big cpu or whatever you also adhere to the same AOS model and so called future hardware/software connections only you don't like PPC or any of its solutions.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 13:16:41
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

the "bunch of names" are Aros supporter and have expressed our views what would have offered best chance for Aros to win more users and developers. Nobody of us cares about "what direction Amiga will take" (expecially what direction 4.X will take). You can happily stay with PPC no problem to me... I do not understand why you obviously feel attacked or annoyed by the "bunch of names". In a open world people have the right to express views...

Srtest 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 14:53:43
#46 ]

@OlafS25

You can express your opinions which are basically saying the same thing over and over and over again without ever answering any questions or showing you know something about what is currently relevant in the computing world, what peeps actually want and use and where current trends are taking us and I will continue to express mine as well about it. That's the beauty of opinions - everyone has one.

BTW, the only ones who are pitting the A1 platform/s against the Vamp developments are your type.

Last edited by Srtest on 05-Apr-2018 at 02:54 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 14:58:40
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

and you are one of the guys expecting tolerance from others when expressing views but not accepting others

and I can "saying the same thing over and over and over again without ever answering any questions or showing you know something about what is currently relevant in the computing world"

if I want because this is a open forum

I would recommend you urgently to lower your tone or I could react the same way

nikosidis 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 15:03:22
#48 ]
Cult Member

@Srtest

I think you should stay to topic and not start with personal attacks like "your type" etc.
I understand very little of what you are trying to say but it might be my bad english.

Last edited by nikosidis on 05-Apr-2018 at 03:03 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 15:08:25
#49 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

it has nothing to do with your english. He is on "personal attacks" route. Better ignore him now.

bison 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 16:36:10
#50 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

All of these approaches are appealing in some way or other. The problem isn't that we are out of options, but that we have too many.

I would like to have AROS boot on Pi, directly on hardware. I think that would be cool, but... once it was up and running, I wouldn't be able to do much with it, at least not as it is today.

Hosting on Linux is more practical. I would still want X11 so I could run Google Chromium alongside AROS apps. Running AROS on a Linux host doesn't solve all the security problems, since all the AROS apps would still be running in a single, shared address space. Web browsing would need to be done on the Linux side to be secure.

I like kolla's idea of using AROS as a desktop environment.

Anonymous 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 17:28:07
# ]

@Srtest

For someone so condescending you show a remarkable inability to follow a simple discussion.

You bring up AOS which is pretty much the only platform that wasn't mentioned in the context of the Raspberry Pi. You characterise the debate as "my computer is better than your computer" based on apparently reading an entirely different thread. You bring up some irrelevant rubbish about breaking up AOS into components, when the conversation is simply about putting hardware in a *few* more people's hands, not becoming the de facto Raspberry Pi OS or taking over the world or anything else that's in your imagination. After a perfectly respectful response, you have nothing left in the tank except personal attacks. You are a long way from the towering intellect that you apparently think you are.

Last edited by clebin on 05-Apr-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Report this post  
kolla 
Posted on 5-Apr-2018 20:01:39
#52 ]
Elite Member

Cool things about Raspberry Pi are size, flexibility, power consumption, software support, but most of all price. I can buy a RPi Zero W for same price as a beer or two, and it will have 512MB RAM, HDMI output, USB as well as built in wifi and bluetooth.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle