Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  23 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  34 mins ago
 michalsc:  46 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  48 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 ncafferkey:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmigaOne X5000
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: AmigaOne X5000
Posted on 6-Mar-2024 23:14:34
#41 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
Most children today have never heard of the Amiga and know nothing about the Amiga. This is the Amiga legacy as an expensive hobby for the classes.

My kids love the Amiga, the Sega Mega Drive and SNES! There's hope if you introduce as one of many options and show them the creative programs too!

Profile     Report this post  
ppcamiga1 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 9:08:35
#42 ]
Cult Member

amiga x5000 is real not emulator is fast has working mui so it is fun

BigD 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 9:28:21
#43 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Ohhh, those Magic User Interface windows and gadgets....I bet they give you goose bumps to the tune of a couple of £1,000!!! Insane! It's the software stupid!

Trixie 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 12:13:19
#44 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Quote:
In order that we don't get into a major flame war on this thread

Yes, so why don't you shut the flip up?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

eliyahu 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 16:41:34
#45 ]

@matthey

Quote:
Personally, here in the U.S. where most people can afford an X5000, I know nobody with one due to horrible value.

I know several people here in the US who own -- and, more importantly, use and enjoy -- X5000s. For us it's worth the money; for you, apparently, it isn't. This isn't complicated or require market analysis. You guys have opined on this topic ad infinitum for years. Enough already. Everybody already has read the same talking points over and over and over and over and over....

@alef

If you're still reading this thread, I hope you're having fun. That's what these machines are supposed to be. Fun. Let us know if you need any help or have any questions. Enjoy!

-- eliyahu

Rob 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 17:49:55
#46 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
decent Australian

Is there such a thing?

Rob 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 17:54:38
#47 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
In other words, he may be trying to convince himself that such an expensive purchase for old hardware is worthwhile and justified.

Perhaps you're just trying to insert your own biases into someone else's words.

matthey 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 19:40:22
#48 ]
Elite Member

BigD Quote:

My kids love the Amiga, the Sega Mega Drive and SNES! There's hope if you introduce as one of many options and show them the creative programs too!

Sure, but kids aren't going to pay thousands of U.S. dollars for the hardware. A few may pay hundreds. Many kids who like the hardware would and could pay less than $100 and others would get one for Christmas or a birthday. You get hardware down into impulse buying present and toy range and offer a nice gaming bundle like the A500 Mini and there is a good chance it will sell at least hundreds of thousands of units. Retro consoles have sold millions of units and they often leave much to be desired with cheap emulation. The 2017 Super NES Classic Edition has sold over 5 million units (NES Classic Edition & Super NES Classic Edition together have sold over 10 million units). The 2019 Sega Mega Drive (Genesis in NA) Mini sold over 1.5 million units not counting the newer Sega Genesis Mini 2. THEA500 Mini didn't have Amiga branding, was more expensive at launch than these console minis, doesn't include the full AmigaOS and uses cheap emulation yet has likely sold hundreds of thousands of units. It is possible to provide much more value at a lower cost with hardware more like the original but with modern features.

eliyahu Quote:

I know several people here in the US who own -- and, more importantly, use and enjoy -- X5000s. For us it's worth the money; for you, apparently, it isn't. This isn't complicated or require market analysis. You guys have opined on this topic ad infinitum for years. Enough already. Everybody already has read the same talking points over and over and over and over and over....

I'm sure all 3 of you in the U.S. enjoy your X5000s. How close in distance is the nearest person who owns a X5000 to you? Are you close enough to have an Amiga user group in your city like many cities used to have? Do you enjoy FireFox and LibreOffice on your X5000? You don't have those? Why not?

VisionFive 2: RISC-V Quad Core Low Cost SBC (review)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKnc86UtXg

0:44 2GB: $55, 4GB: $65, 8GB: $85 https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=27
1:22 4GB "Super Early Bird" VisionFive 2 $51 USD https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=66
3:30 4x1.5GHz U74, Imagination GPU https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=210
10:05 LibreOffice https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=605
11:15 Gimp https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=675
12:20 htop showing working SMP https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=742
14:03 Firefox https://youtu.be/ykKnc86UtXg?t=843

Why can't we have sub $100 USD Amigas, LibreOffice, FireFox and SMP? Because Amiga users stick their head in a hole ignoring reality! A few thousand horrible value AmigaNOnes are not enough to attract developers!

A SiFive U74 in-order CPU core has a claimed 2.64 DMIPS/MHz compared to 3.0 DMIPS/MHz for an OoO P5020 core in the X5000 and 2.9 DMIPS/MHz for an OoO PPC G5 but the U74 outperformed the G5 in 7-Zip compression and decompression benchmarks at the same clock speed. The theoretical performance of a G5 is much higher than the U74 core and with carefully written assembler code likely could outperform the U74 core but the U74 core was designed to reduce bubbles making compiler support easier for it and resulting in very good real world performance while using a fraction of the processing units of a G5. These simple in-order U74 cores are significantly smaller, lower power and easier to design than OoO cores. SiFive usually doesn't sell the SoCs separately but did sell some for $3 USD in quantities of 3. This included 5 U74 cores and an Imagination GPU that outperforms the RPi 4 GPU. The U74 core resembles a CISC design and specifically the 68060 core design. While it gives a hint of how a more modern cheap in-order 68060 like CPU core can perform, the 68060 core design has significantly more performance potential, especially executing 68k code. Even a weak performance RISC-V architecture SiFive U74 core rivals the performance of the best OoO PPC cores. The situation only gets worse as PPC silicon is not improved. I believe a modernized in-order 68060 core design could outperform every OoO PPC CPU core ever made. Of course SiFive licenses their IP which is why they don't usually sell commodity SoC chips. The STAR64 SBC with a cost of $89.99 USD for the 8GiB version is another sub $100 SBC resulting from licensing the SiFive SoC with U74 cores.

https://pine64.com/product/star64-model-a-8gb-single-board-computer/

Keep your head in your hole and keep ignoring that Amiga is synonymous with emulation.

Last edited by matthey on 07-Mar-2024 at 07:45 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Mar-2024 23:22:56
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

It was a valid question for those of us outside the 'reality distortion bubble' to understand what people use these Monolith-like machines for! They are described as being for the purpose of "fun" but how are they fun? It would be nice to know!

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 5:28:25
#50 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

why waste time for emulation
just use android

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 5:29:30
#51 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

fast many times faster than 68k
decent graphics
native os with working amiga gui

jPV 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 7:56:16
#52 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Trixie

It was a valid question for those of us outside the 'reality distortion bubble' to understand what people use these Monolith-like machines for! They are described as being for the purpose of "fun" but how are they fun? It would be nice to know!

If you don't have any idea, how can you be so loud against them in every thread every time? I don't think it's worth the time to explain you anything with that attitude. Go read some blogs or videos about the subject if you really want to learn more.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 9:47:57
#53 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@BigD

How is that your business?

Yes, sorry I've overstepped the mark asking what people enjoy about their Amiga purchases!?! Bragging about too much disposable income and buying monolithic PPC machines that use 1/4 of the number of cores provided for the host OS should be the primary reason for people sharing on AmigaWorld.net. I shouldn't expect anything more and from now on I won't I assure you.

Just plug it in, see a AmigaOS splash-screen and that's enough! Warm fuzzies and the smell of 2Gs going up in smoke!

"This is Living!"

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 11:18:14
#54 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

most annoying thing in amiga hobby is scumbags like you bigd
that want us amiga users to resign from use out amigas
get lost

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 11:56:43
#55 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

Quote:
that want us amiga users to resign from use out amigas

It would help if you cared about the Amiga as a platform rather than worshipping at the cult of everything PPC!!!! Most of us never switched from 68k and while we are prepared to listen to the benefits and excitement of what PPC users do with their new machines, you all focus on the hardware!

If I waxed lyrical about the laser etched THEA500 Mini case or even worse the All Winner H6 ARM Cortex A53 and dismissed any questions about the utility of the machine that would be ridiculous! This however seems to be your bread and butter in regards to the PPC AmigaOne machines. Since there is no AmigaOne branding anymore, never mind marketing of the things, it'll soon be just you shouting at a wall anyway! Adieu!

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 12:42:11
#56 ]

@BigD

If you want to get an overview of almost everything that is and has happened in the AmigaOS 4 community (people are mostly active over at Amigans.net, not here on Amigaworld), please have a look at the archive of montly roundups:

The AmigaOS 4 Monthly Roundup - Archive

From the reports, you'll see that there are many active developers and a lot of interesting software (games, applications, emulators) being updated and released.

Now, here are some of of my personal recommendations for AmigaOS 4 software:

1) Rave by Trixie

Excellent audio application/editor! Recently updated and available for free. As far as I know, this one is only available on AmigaOS 4.

Link: http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=audio/edit/rave.lha

2) Mediavault by Walkero - Listen to podcasts and radio stations

Great GUI on this one. Like many others, I enjoy listening to podcasts while working on projects or doing regular work. This program is one of my favorites in this respect.

Link: http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile&file=network/misc/mediavault.lha

3) RNOTunes, RNOInfoscreen, RNOSlides, RNOEffects, RNOWidgets, and more from jPV^RNO

jPV has you covered. RNOTunes is brilliant for enjoying music. GUI is very nice, the program functional and easy to use. You can find out more on his websites. I've used RNOEffects for editing photos, even for the 10Marc competitions.

Link: https://jpv.amigaaa.com/

4) Hollywood 10 and Designer 6

Great possibilities for development for everyone. With Designer, you can even make productions (like a music disk) with point and click, but with the possibility of adding in code if needed. You can also choose to use just Hollywood to do programming. I'm very happy with Hollywood myself, and have used it for several music-disks. A great development setup that you can use on AmigaOS 4.

Link: https://www.hollywood-mal.com/

5) Personal Paint - PPC Edition for AmigaOS 4

A good application for pixel art. I use it the same way as I used Deluxe Paint back in the days. Commercial application from A-EON/AmigaKit. AmigaOS 4.1 native. I'm not a graphician, but for some projects, it is handy to use.

Link: https://www.amigastore.com/personal-paint-ppaint-p-1293.html

6) ScummVM - Maintained by Raziel - Now at version 2.8.0

Regularly updated. Supports a ton of great games! Compatibility list for this version:

https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/2.8.0/

7) Tower 57 (game)

Most are probably familiar with this one. Adventure, exploration, action, upgrades... A fun game!

https://benitosub.itch.io/tower-57

8) Blastaway (game) by RETREAM

This one is always popular when we have had it in the Amigans.net gaming competitions. It is engaging and very well made. Definitely on my top 10 list for games on the platform.

https://retream.itch.io/blastaway

9) Swamp Defense by Entwickler-X

A good tower defense game for AmigaOS 4. There is a Swamp Defense 2 as well.

https://oldschoolgameblog.com/2022/07/03/gaming-on-amigaos-4-1-swamp-defense-entwickler-x/

10) Caesar III - Port by Sinan Gurkan

A bit of a nostalgic trip for me, as I used to play this on my parents PC when I was home on vacations from university back in the day. It is a very good game, and even today it looks pretty nice graphically, and the audio is great too. Thought I'd mention it here since I enjoy it.

Ok, that was a list of ten recommendations from me, but there have been plenty of software released the last year I have not tried properly yet, such as M.A.C.E. Tower Defense (commercial), BreakHack (port), and AstroMenace. Entwickler-X is working on a remastered edition of M.A.C.E. which is looking promising too.

Last edited by AmigaOldskooler on 08-Mar-2024 at 12:44 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 12:47:42
#57 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaOldskooler

Thanks!

eliyahu 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 14:59:59
#58 ]

@AmigaOldskooler

The awesome thing is that all of those items run great -- with the possible exception of Caesar III -- on the A1222. I even have a list of recommended software in my A1222 Guide for people new to AmigaOS 4.1 and would be interested in your feedback.

http://eliyahu.org/tabor/recommendations.html

-- eliyahu

Rob 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 17:32:56
#59 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:

jPV wrote:
@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Trixie

If you don't have any idea, how can you be so loud against them in every thread every time? I don't think it's worth the time to explain you anything with that attitude. Go read some blogs or videos about the subject if you really want to learn more.

I suspect his questions have never been in good faith. They certainly haven't been for a long time.

alef 
Posted on 8-Mar-2024 17:54:17
#60 ]

@Karlos

I really dunno yet. I didn't even start it yet.
Atm I am for almost 14 months now submitted by
force to a mental hospital in Bodø, Nordland,
Norway called Rønnvika, or Maniac Mansion.
Bodø is 250 km north of Mo i Rana, my town and
the town of Norsk amigaforening aka
Norwegian Amiga Association.

I am 'King of Manic Mansion '

Sure hope some day somebody
will make game(s) about me for Amiga,
all flavours...

Anyway...

Anway, the announcement is ..
We in NAF are coming back from
a longer vacation, lasting sincde 2018.

We want to boost this event by our soon-
-to-be announced contest, which I from now
will call International Internet Amiga
Organization Annual Contest

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle