Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 roar:  27 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  34 mins ago
 VooDoo:  42 mins ago
 pixie:  58 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Massi:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 V8:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Hardware Accelerated Amithlon
Register To Post

PosterThread
kiasanth 
Hardware Accelerated Amithlon
Posted on 5-Aug-2004 6:41:22
#1 ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of 3D hardware driver for Amithlon (maybe a linux driver in the kernel and a warp3D modified driver in the Amiga Side) to allow hardware acceleration in Warp3D or StormMESA in Amithlon. Maybe something like QuarkTex for WinUAE (which unfortunately breaks StormMESA)

let me know what you all think/have heard/tried

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Re: Hardware Accelerated Amithlon
Posted on 5-Aug-2004 10:27:40
#2 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@kiasanth

Quote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to get some sort of 3D hardware driver for Amithlon (maybe a linux driver in the kernel and a warp3D modified driver in the Amiga Side) to allow hardware acceleration in Warp3D or StormMESA in Amithlon. Maybe something like QuarkTex for WinUAE (which unfortunately breaks StormMESA)

There is no hardware acceleration in Amithlon. We offered the Amithlon authors the same deal as the rest of the Amiga hardware vendors, but they didn't want it.

I will not support any attempt to make Warp3D run on Amithlon.

kiasanth 
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 9:06:56
#3 ]

@Rogue

"Will not support", does this mean "take legal action if anyone tries"?

EntilZha 
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 10:10:16
#4 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@kiasanth

"Will not support" means we will not support it. We won't actively include code in Warp3D so that it runs on Amithlon.

Regarding legal action: It depends on the situation. Warp3D is a commercial product now, as well as Amithlon. Since Warp3D requires a license, "hacking" it to run on Amithlon is illegal, and might result in legal action. As simple as that.

The "Founder of Amithlon" was offered support for Warp3D, but he rejected.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

kiasanth 
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 11:07:01
#5 ]

@EntilZha

Fair enough. I think that enough reason for me to stop using Amithlon. I'm sure I would have forgotten it as soon as I got my AmigaOne anyway.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 12:10:54
#6 ]

@EntilZha

Quote:
The "Founder of Amithlon" was offered support for Warp3D, but he rejected.

If Harald were in the middle of a desert dying of thirst and you offered him a glass of water he'd probably slap it away and bite your hand off.

@kiasanth

There are several large technical problems that stand in the way of W3D ever working reliably with Amithlon, so it probably wouldn't have happened anyway.

Leo 
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 14:39:17
#7 ]

Quote:

We offered the Amithlon authors the same deal as the rest of the Amiga hardware vendors, but they didn't want it.

I guess much like other Amiga hardware vendors terms of the deal weren't acceptable for him then...

Leo.

JKD 
Posted on 6-Aug-2004 19:09:39
#8 ]

@kiasanth

Maybe you should run WinUAE instead:

http://quarktex.kontechs.de/

Steve

kiasanth 
Posted on 7-Aug-2004 5:43:03
#9 ]

@JKD

Yeah, I do. I got the latest version.... payback crashes badly but I guess I have to learn to set it up and mess with it till it goes. tehn I'll have to get my config working on WinUAE 0.9.90, it hasn't worked since 0.8.23

EntilZha 
Posted on 7-Aug-2004 10:08:29
#10 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Leo

Quote:
guess much like other Amiga hardware vendors terms of the deal weren't acceptable for him then...

Which "other Amiga hardware vendors" do you speak of ? All of them (DCE, Matay and Elbox) didn't have a problem.

The terms where quite sensible. Since you don't know them, please refrain from making such uneducated guesses. Thanks.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Rogue 
Posted on 7-Aug-2004 10:17:09
#11 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
There are several large technical problems that stand in the way of W3D ever working reliably with Amithlon, so it probably wouldn't have happened anyway.

Well, it is possible for sure. If they wouldn't have rejected, I would have done a proper job with that.

Problem with the 68k Voodoo driver is that the 68k version is slower than it could have been because of an issue with the Avenger chip. It would hang under certain circumstances. On the PPC we could issue a reset but that wouldn't work for some reason on the 68k. That issue could have been easily resolved on Amithlon, but additional work was required.

@leo
Quote:
I guess much like other Amiga hardware vendors terms of the deal weren't acceptable for him then...

"Other hardware vendors" like Matay, DCE and Elbox didn't have any problems with that. Since you don't know squat about the terms, you guess is an uneducated one. And wrong as well.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 7-Aug-2004 10:36:18
#12 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Problem with the 68k Voodoo driver is that the 68k version is slower than it could have been because of an issue with the Avenger chip. It would hang under certain circumstances. On the PPC we could issue a reset but that wouldn't work for some reason on the 68k. That issue could have been easily resolved on Amithlon, but additional work was required.

The issue that occured to me is that the linux kernel framebuffer driver that Amithlon uses for video output grabs control of the graphics card long before AmigaOS or W3D can. It seems to me it would have taken a fairly major amount of work to get the two systems to co-exist.

Rogue 
Posted on 7-Aug-2004 10:44:48
#13 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
The issue that occured to me is that the linux kernel framebuffer driver that Amithlon uses for video output grabs control of the graphics card long before AmigaOS or W3D can. It seems to me it would have taken a fairly major amount of work to get the two systems to co-exist.

Well, I guess it could co-exist as a kernel module on the Linux side. There would only need to be a way to pucture the protection around custom registers on the graphics card. Since the Warp3D Voodoo driver uses the FIFO command processor as a means of command transportation, a DRM-like module would probably solve the issue quite elegantly.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle