Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  41 secs ago
 retrofaza:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 Frank:  15 mins ago
 danwood:  35 mins ago
 graff:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Vidar:  1 hr 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  µ-A1 news update
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
bojan_bozovic 
Re: µ-A1 news update
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 15:11:27
#61 ]

@falcon1

Now A1 IS AOS machine... I run linux on x86 box, faster and TWO times cheaper than your peg
I dont see why anybody with interest in Linux would go for a Peg... A1 w AOS will peer-network with x86 linux box

With Peg you get NOTHING! Linux is far more better on x86 and you run short of AOS also

On "features' on Articia - These "features" run actually well with AOS...

Profile     Report this post  
BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 15:13:11
#62 ]

@Coder

Quote:

Coder wrote:
@PulsatingQuasar
Quote:
That's actually a good idea. I would buy that book immediatly.

Same here. I would buy all of them.
Coder

Many, many years ago...maybe 15 at least. I bought a whole set of thos blue programming books for the Amiga....If memory serves me they were from Abacus...
I'd be interested in knowing what is no longer applicable in light of OS4.

Books are cool but there is something even more useful......
What we really need is something like MSDN online. Its terrific going onto Microsoft's website, running a search and finding out pretty much anything you want about all the technologies, and programming for them. I hope KMOS builds a knowledge base up like that so the whole community can benefit. It can include forums but it must not be limited to that.

I was daydreaming of creating a website where people could interactively build such a knowledge base, including tutorials. It would be moderated of course. It would probably be turned into a book and authors would be credited according to their contributions.

Coder 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 15:16:48
#63 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
was daydreaming of creating a website where people could interactively build such a knowledge base, including tutorials. It would be moderated of course. It would probably be turned into a book and authors would be credited according to their contributions.

That is really needed. At least you can download it and print it out. And later you can also publish it in book. I am hungry for knowledge.

Coder

bojan_bozovic 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 15:21:25
#64 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Idea is VERY cool.

Alkemyst 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 16:36:48
#65 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Errrrr..... No.
No, A1s no longer come with the board now that the earlybird offer is over.
You have to pay extra for OS4.
I really hate to say it, but.......you got a point there falcon1.

Ummmm....I don't get it. How are Genesi doing it so cheap?

Please, this isn't trolling. I just don't get it.
The price is working out as advertising for Genesi by a mile.
I'm not gonna rush out and buy a PegasOS....but.....its starting to enter my head which is worrying.

Its been pointed out many times why and i do mean many times.

If you have not picked up on why by now then you most like never will.

You never noticed on other sites the genesi posted that they need to shift 20,000 pegs a month to make a profit at the price point they had.

Many unpayed employees ex-employees ect...

Both the Peg & the Amiga line are costly for what they offer but useing the peg for an excuse to complain is not they way.

Its like the best of 2 evil's

Best of a bad bunch.

You come into work late & the boss has a go at you, instead of just taking it like a man you try to make your self look good by pointing out that another wokers time keeping is much worse than yours, but that does not make you good its your just not as bad.

If the Aone was not around then what would peg have around to say that it better because ect..

Keep looking hard enough for execuse to say im better because and you will find one valid or not. but that does not mean infact that your good in actual fact just that your crap is better than that crap but your still crap.

PulsatingQuasar 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 16:55:57
#66 ]
Cult Member

I'd rather have them making these boards at a realistic price which ensures development and new models then to have the boards cheap and Eyetech going bankrupt. Same goes for OS 4. I'd rather pay more then less to keep development going.

Don't kid yourself, both software and hardware development are costly and we are a slow growing user base at the moment. It takes money.

I'm not really sure if I will go for the Micro AOne because I want a power horse. The XC is a deadcert though. And offcourse I will buy a second copy of OS 4. Well, I mean a third. The BlizzardPPC wants one aswell.

The XE is running nicely though. I upgraded my 13 GB UDMA 66 Western Digital to an 80 GB UDMA100 Western Digital with 8MB cache yesterday. This has doubled the speeds for small files. Quake has virtually no loading times anymore. That rulez!

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:16:18
#67 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@falcon1

Quote:
BTW 7447 G4s are less power hungry than 750FX....

Sorry, but where did you get *that* number from? Typical power consumption of a 750FX is below 10W, while the 7447 can go up to 35 W.

My 7447 gets so hot that it can melt the plasic stickers on the CPU card.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:16:29
#68 ]

@Alkemyst

Quote:
You never noticed on other sites the genesi posted that they need to shift 20,000 pegs a month to make a profit at the price point they had.

News to me.

20 thousand pegs a month!!!! Fer Real!!!
They can't be shifting anything close to that number even with Freescale involved directly.

......and Eyetech's worrying about getting 10 thousand orders to make a batch.

So when are Genesi going to go out of business then?
It can't be sustainable....but I guess that's your point.

Quote:
your crap is better than that crap but your still crap.

Ummmm....I don't think that argument is going to sell any A1s.

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:20:13
#69 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@bojan_bozovic

Quote:
Linux is far more better on x86

That's true, but for desktop systems only. For someone wanting to be in the server business, the low power consumption of the PowerPC CPU is a factor. Imagine a big web server farm, and factor in what money you save on power and air conditioning alone...

mr2 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:33:41
#70 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
My 7447 gets so hot that it can melt the plasic stickers on the CPU card.

Thats because you overclocked your CPU far beyond 1GHz!

bojan_bozovic 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:38:07
#71 ]

@Rogue

VIA C3 processors are there too w low power consumption, so platforms are even.
My point was that Pegasos cant be compared to x86 as a Linux machine (better gfx support, DRI, USB, Firewire, most peripherals work on x86 only - or at least are only well tested on that hw) for desktop use.
For a webserver there is VIA C3 ITX also - i dont know about the price, but iit's higher than ordinary ATX PC and perhaps comparable to uA1, while Peg is full-ATX. uA1 IS better (hw wise) than Peg for industrial market - however I honestly hope somebody will fix Linux for it - that is demanded by indoustrial market and will offspring Eyetech sales very much in that market niche.
Really, uA1-I variant has good specs for industrial use, and small network terminal boxes - though used x86 hw might be better in that regard - w AOS+Xclient or Linux.

Again, I am interested will there be any X+Xlib for AOS in final version - if not bundled w OS, as a separate package? That is important as will make porting X/GTK apps much easier to Amiga, and make platform viable as small network Xclient box.

In short, if you are not programming X Xlib and GTK for AOS for easier porting of Linux apps we should

VidarL 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:41:39
#72 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
For someone wanting to be in the server business, the low power consumption of the PowerPC CPU is a factor. Imagine a big web server farm, and factor in what money you save on power and air conditioning alone...

Good theory, but without support from CPanel/Plesk/DirectAdmin, you won't get any hosting customers...

Vidar

gadgetgaz 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 17:46:18
#73 ]

@Colin_Camper

"I kicked up such a stink (It was busy!) - they let me have the book for £18"

I just love to hear stories like this. Power to the consumer!

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 18:56:57
#74 ]

@falcon1

Quote:
So, do you really think microA1 are competitive in terms of price?

I agree that the ATX A1's were not competetive with pegasos. That was my point. The reason people bought the A1's up to now was because they had historical reasons for wanting an AmigaOS machine that over-rode any questions about price. There are still quite a few of these people left who are waiting for OS4 to go gold.

I disagree with you that uA1 is not competetive with pegasos - it is now a REAL choice for people who are not so bothered about AmigaOS/Morphos or who want PPC-Linux based on cost ALONE!. It's no good reeling off slightly better graphics specs or this and that - it makes no difference to people upgrading from 50Mhz and voodoo3.

Just because you bought a pegasos - does that make you scared of a little competition? It shouldn't - it's a healthy thing.

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 19:33:25
#75 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@mr2

Quote:
Thats because you overclocked your CPU far beyond 1GHz

I'm afraid I underclocked it to 1.133 MHz. It's a 1.4 GHz part, but my crystal orb cooler just doesn't make it cool enough.

Rogue 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 19:37:11
#76 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@bojan_bozovic

Quote:
VIA C3 processors are there too w low power consumption, so platforms are even.

Yeah, but contrary to VIA C3 CPU's a PowerPC even offers a decent performance.

Quote:
In short, if you are not programming X Xlib and GTK for AOS for easier porting of Linux apps we should

No plans for Xlib from our side. There is an ongoing effort to port GTK to the Amiga, but I admit that I lost track because of lack of time (as usual).

Eric_S 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 19:40:39
#77 ]
Team Member

Speaking of something completely different, are there any pictures of the new boards available somewhere?

falcon1 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 19:53:00
#78 ]

@Rogue
I seriously doubt you're using 800Mhz 7447...
and seeing the ibm documentation about power on 750 FX and GX I have strange feelings...

Concerning Gxs @ 800Mhz, here's the max power consumption
750FX 8.6W
750GX 10.15W
7447 9.2W
7447A 9.9W

It seems 7447A is more power hungry than 7447 at low frequencies but more power saving at higher frequencies (starting @ 1000Mhz)

freescale presentation is a nightmare so I alignes lines by the top as on the 7447 page it says on the top of the page "less than 10W typical consumption à 1000Mhz".
Moreover, max power consumption of 7447 (and 7447A) is 11.5W. It's the G4 I have and everyone already saw the small size of cooling on pegasos CPU cards... compared to 750FX cooling on A1XE... which dissipates less....

So now according to chipmakers, it seems that the more economically CPU will be actively cooled and the more power hungry one will be passively cooled... and the reason not to use the G4 was according to eyetech that it's too hot...

Seeing that at 800Mhz 7447 dissipates less than 750 GX I can't understand eyetech....
and seeing the little fan on my G4, I must admit I don't see any problem using a 7447(A) at 1000Mhz....

SO I really eyetech MUST give people some explanations.

My theory is that eyetech have an OLD stock of FX which are a lot more power hungry than current ones... (and the fact they're old explain the £170 price)

All numbers coming from here and here and here

addenum :
Rogue
I suspect your G4 to have trouble... or it is perhaps CPU card design...
My G4 runs at 1000Mhz full speed with dnetc running the whole day and with the little fan it's at only 26°C. (external sensor) in a big aluminium case, without other fan than the PSU ones. Other are not connected

olegil 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 19:58:08
#79 ]
Elite Member

@bojan_bozovic

Haha, have you tried comparing a C3 to a PowerPC? It's roughly on par with a P3 at half the clock, and the 750FX beats the P3 at the SAME clock HANDS DOWN.

So yeah, you can have an x86 with low power consumption, but it's not gonne be much fun

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

syrtran 
Posted on 29-Aug-2004 20:13:39
#80 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Yeah, but contrary to Via C3 CPU's a PowerPC even offers a
decent performance.

Hey! I get decent performance from my 600MHz Eden.

Oh, wait! I'm running Freedos on it. Never mind.

People who generalize are always wrong.

1989 - 500 / 1991 - 3000 / 1997 - Genesis Flyer 1200T / 2003 - A1XE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle