Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Torque:  31 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 41 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 kriz:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 Rassilon:  4 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Probably opening Pandora's box here, but...
Register To Post

PosterThread
Legion 
Probably opening Pandora's box here, but...
Posted on 6-Sep-2004 20:39:19
#1 ]
Cult Member

See this thread over at the mighty Aorg:

clickety do-da...

First off, It's nice to see Wayne with his arse firmly planted on the fence again. I think it's very brave, personally.

Secondly, I guess my own thoughts on the subject are basically this: It's comfy over here. I don't consider myself Red or Blue. I'm not even going to express an opinion on the subject; this isn't the place/thread. But I will say that saying anything at all POSITIVE about the red /Amiga side of the community produced nothing but a sh*tstorm from the Blue trolls over at Aorg so often that it was only possible to do one of two things:

1) go sit in the corner, or
2) spend insane amounts of time trying to defend my opinions and point of view.

I chose to go sit in the corner. But I tell you this: it's a really NICE corner with great people and a very positive atmosphere. Many thanks to the AWN people for providing it and allowing me to be here; it's very much appreciated. Please, keep doing EXACTLY what you have been doing, despite of what others may think, because, in my opinion, it's working.

This huge schism in the community is the really depressing thing. Wayne is right on the money regarding that part; look at what it has done. Friends are now enemies. A simple expressed opinion is now regarded as a 'volley' from one side to the other. The community wasn't even content to just let me (me!! just some inconsequential former Amiga owner from the middle of nowhere) sit on the fence; it labeled me as a 'red.' I didn't even get to CHOOSE what side I could sit on! They literally knocked me off the fence, handed me a gun and a red flag and that was it.

What others see as a site full of blind/fanatic followers, I see as simply people with a different opinion. I mean, come on... does anybody here REALLY BELIEVE that Amiga Inc, past or present, hasn't had their share of foul ups? Does anybody, red or blue, not take what they say without a grain of salt? Or course not. I think AWN's people simply believe that OS4/AOne is the most likely chance at a future, pure and simple.

You don't agree? fine. Know this, however: neither the 'red' nor the 'blue' opinion, while possibly valid, is SO DAMNED IMPORTANT that it needs to be interjected and rammed and crammed into every discussion about everything. In my experience, the reds don't do this nearly as much as the blues, which is why AWN is now my home.

Again, thanks to the AWN team for providing the big, comfy corner. We appreciate it

Profile     Report this post  
Chunder 
Re: Probably opening Pandora's box here, but...
Posted on 6-Sep-2004 20:49:10
#2 ]

@Legion

Hear, hear! I'll second that!

Nice corner, friendly people, accessible information (without having to mentally filter out all the nonsense and arguments - mostly), and very little "political" stuff.

Yeah, some people whinge about overmoderation, but there are pretty clear guidelines - which by signing up you accept - so they can't really complain.

I'm here for the duration AW.net - I hope that you will be

DWolfman 
Posted on 7-Sep-2004 10:01:23
#3 ]

@Chunder

I'll third that, too!

I didn't need to go see the ANN thread, as I think I had already seen some of it a few days ago when AWN was down. After reading this one on amiga.org and the responses from "individuals" like KennyR reminded me why I came to AWN.

Anonymous 
Posted on 7-Sep-2004 15:38:31
# ]

@Legion & Wayne

Very true whats been said. But as humans you need a hate figure to bind your communities together. It's time we started picking on somebody else outside the Amiga world. Didn't we all used to hate the PC?

Whats wrong? They got too big for you all? Scared are you?

OK, lets find something we can all hate together..

I vote we should vent our anger against people who make shampoo adverts. All over the world, shampoo adverts are equaly anoying.

DOWN WITH SHAMPOO ADVERTS!

Report this post  
Kay 
Posted on 7-Sep-2004 18:51:16
#5 ]

@Legion

Well, we're closing in on 2500 members and frequently have 30-50 people online, so I don't know if we're that much of a corner anymore...

As for Wayne, while I have not always agreed with things he has said (especially not in his "blue" period), I'll say this for him: He always seems to be straightforward about his opinion, and he has moral courage. You could never put him in the fanboy category.

And I believe he is pretty right on the money with this posting.

Kay

Kay 
Posted on 7-Sep-2004 19:04:38
#6 ]

@DruidPoet

I agree about the shampoo ads! Actually I am against the advertising industry as a whole. If it was up to me, all adverts would contain:
1. A picture of the product on the left side.
2. Some relevant information on the right side (price, usage, technical data, advantages, disadvantages).

In addition to being a lot less insulting to my intelligence than today's commercials (trying to make me believe that a soft drink is a lifestyle is only going to provoke anger in this consumer), these commercials would take less time to watch, and I also bet they would be cheaper to make .

Everybody wins. Except the morons who are currently making a living creating stupid shampoo ads.

Kay

AmiGame 
Posted on 7-Sep-2004 20:04:05
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Legion

I'll fifth that...
http://os.amiga.com/forums/ used to be a nice place, but it's currently more or less dead. So AW.Net became my "usual" even if I am still sometimes on os.Amiga.com

When AW.net was down, I was just a bit more bored... But I wouldn't think of going to other Amiga Forums. WHY ? Because it's a Great place, with Nice people, a lot of useful Infos,... And not all the arguments I found in a lot of other various Forums (not just Amigas).
On AW, sometimes, we find a Troll... On some other Forums, sometimes we find a "non-Troll"...

AW, please continue !

Jerry

- A1XE-G4 up and runing with:
512MB Ram / 200GB and 80GB HardDisks on Sii0680.
AOS4 Final Update / AmiZilla 0.1 Alpha

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Sep-2004 15:01:04
# ]

I agree. Damn, we all agree ( according to KennyR ) so how come our threads get so long?

Dancing bananas?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Sep-2004 20:32:45
# ]

-removed- noone noticed wayne connection

Report this post  
JurassicC 
Posted on 14-Sep-2004 21:29:52
#10 ]

@Thread

There was a time IMHO when ANN was the best news site, long before the forum style it has now.

Czech amiga news was fantastic.

IRC was the place to chat amiga.

I joined Amiga.org in 2001 after reading the forums for a long time then decided to make to leap and join in. It was a fantastic site for news discussion of all things Amiga, heck I even own an Amiga.Org long sleeve T.

Around the time Amiga announced that Bplan was going to make an AmigaOne and Eyetech has announced the Escena AmigaOne everything seemed too good to be true.

Then followed 2 more years of wilderness and bplan seemed to be making far more progress. Why did I choose Red, not for the brand, but because of Bill Buck.

In March 2003 I'd had enough of all the Red / Blue / DMA / Artica / FSB / April, May crap that had appeared since the Peg1 had been released that I'd made my mind up to cancel my AmigaOne Order. Maybe this is what Buck Wanted all along. My 2p is that if he can't have Amiga, he doesn't want anyone else to either. I discovered AW.net from a posting on AO. AW.net seemed like a breath of fresh air and it only had about 300 members at that time. I didn't come here because its a corperate fan site full of Amiga Geeks. I stayed here cos I love Amiga. I can talk Amiga, Help Organise Community events, Help those with problems etc. without having to get involved in Peg2 MicroA1c 8o77ox. Aw.net came my new Homepage so to speak.

What did it for me with AO was about that time there were too many AO staff working for Genesi and being moderators / site admin. It seemed at one point all the staff were peg1 owners.

The jokes and aguements were so old they wern't even funny any more, but still today the same old arguements happen on ANN and AO and like Wayne says its down to a small but very loud vocal minority.

Aw.net IMHO is great Amiga site thats why i come here. If I was interested in talking Morphos I'd go to a Morphos Site. But I dont go on Morphzone and post Amigaworld.net or amiga.com

Aw.net radio / irc / quiz is top. Were else could you rip the p!$$ about Mikey_c's music tastes and get away with it.

Since coming here I've made new friends. Not just online but we meet socially.
go drinking and surfing and heck sometime we dont even mention Amigas.

To Summerise

Good Job AW.net

Think thats my longest ever post.

/me sweats

ssolie 
Posted on 14-Sep-2004 21:51:41
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Legion
Quote:
You don't agree? fine. Know this, however: neither the 'red' nor the 'blue' opinion, while possibly valid, is SO DAMNED IMPORTANT that it needs to be interjected and rammed and crammed into every discussion about everything. In my experience, the reds don't do this nearly as much as the blues, which is why AWN is now my home.

That's exactly why I get turned off from the general Amiga community sites. The joking around is way beyond joking around. Now it is all about scoring the most points with 'facts' and being more correct than the other guy at any cost. Some may find that fun but I certainly do not. Seems more like a room full of politicians, philosophers and pushy used car salesmen than computer enthusiasts.

ssolie 
Posted on 14-Sep-2004 22:12:32
#12 ]
Elite Member

@JurassicC
Quote:
Aw.net IMHO is great Amiga site thats why i come here. If I was interested in talking Morphos I'd go to a Morphos Site. But I dont go on Morphzone and post Amigaworld.net or amiga.com

MorphOS users think they are 'Amiga' users. AmigaOne users think they are 'Amiga' users. Amithlon/UAE/AmigaForever users think they are 'Amiga' users. AROS users think they are 'Amiga' users. Put these groups together like Wayne is trying to and you just end up with a fight. Best of luck to sites like ANN and Amiga.org but I really think their days are numbered in the long term. I'm not certain but I think Mr. Buck noticed this war would never end which is why he stays on the specialized sites now. Smart move IMHO.

A1200 
Posted on 15-Sep-2004 4:59:20
#13 ]
Elite Member

I laughed so much when I read to the bottom of the ANN thread (linked from this thread via amiga.org), and it said next 50.... and so on!

The thread had nothing to do with Amiga at all and I must admit I did click "next 50" but got bored 1/2 way down.

Do you sometimes think, the time we waste on the flaming, we could do something else more productive?

My top suggestions:

1: Flower arranging
2: Yoga
3: Running? hehe

Have fun and remember you are going to die, don't waste too much time.

Anonymous 
Posted on 15-Sep-2004 7:16:14
# ]

Hi Legion and all AmigaWorld.Net users,!!

I came to AmigaWorld.Net, reluctantly, NOT because of the people here, but, because 99.5% of the users here were going to buy a variation of the AmigaOne motherboard and AOS4.0, anyway.

So, as it says in my signature, I wasn't sure why to be here, BUT it's a REALLY REALLY EXCELLENT place to talk and ask questions (and MUCH more)! So, I stayed.

Meanwhile, I don't go to Amiga.Org, OS.Amiga.com, ANN.Lu, and MooBunny anymore (rather, very rarely), because there is just TOO MUCH to read and be able to keep up to any more. Besides, it's rather hostile on the Moo, and A.Org users all know about AmigaOne, so it was a bit unnessary, anyhow. They knew I was just trying to convince more people to get an AmigaOne.

The reason I chose AmigaOne, is because of the souce code, and also, if anybody MIGHT GO the custom chip route again, I figured it would be AMIGA INC.!

Also, seeing posts by the coders of AOS4.0+ here regularly, I have the greatest confidence in TEAM AMIGA led by the Friedens!!!!*

AmigaOne! Pre-AOS4.0! I WANT DRAGGABLE SCREENS BACK!!!!!!!!!!

* And now KMOS, Garry Hare, also.

Report this post  

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle