Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 68 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 Gunnar:  8 mins ago
 t0lkien:  21 mins ago
 eliyahu:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  frozen A1
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
unimon 
frozen A1
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 11:25:45
#1 ]

Hi every body,

As probably you've also noticed, after the update of AOS4 the A1 freezes or crash more often.

Is there anyone (maybe of Hyperion) who can say why? Because it is always something else. For example: one time is the "DH1", or the "input.device" or also Aweb.

It's not so pleasant because we alway have fear that if we work with it (using PAO, Wordprocessor" without having saved every 30 second, we will lose work...

Thanks for your answer.

Profile     Report this post  
EntilZha 
Re: frozen A1
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 11:48:31
#2 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@unimon

Quote:
As probably you've also noticed, after the update of AOS4 the A1 freezes or crash more often.

Actually, no. Most people don't seem to have problems. Only a handful of people have.

Incidentially, most of the beta testers have no problems, either, otherwise, the update wouldn't be available, would it ?

Quote:
Is there anyone (maybe of Hyperion) who can say why? Because it is always something else. For example: one time is the "DH1", or the "input.device" or also Aweb.

Well, you don't really expect an answer to this without at least some information about what crashed, when it crashed, how, what where you doing, system information, etc ?

Did you update your existing system, or did you re-install. Did you update the firmware ? SLB ? If you updated, did you copy the programs that you have in your WBstartup again since they aren't updated by the install CD ?

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

ikir 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 12:13:31
#3 ]
Elite Member

@unimon

A fresh install is better, no problems with it.

Maybe you have forgotten to update the things in you wbstartup drawer, you have something in user-startup. You have not update uboot or slb. 90% of the things i've see in these days are user's errors.

Cojo 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 12:30:05
#4 ]

@unimon

i had no crashes (no grim/guru) but random freezes. (mostly when cpu was getting busy even for very short times)
i checked my voltage setting on the motherboard again and found that my g4 was set at 1.59 volt.
it made linux "run", back when i set it to that voltage.
strangely the factory (or the setting by my dealer) was even one step lower when i got the machine. (dunno if they set voltage for g3 and placed a g4 on it?)
i have the voltage now at 1.64 volts which made os4 stable. 8)
the thing doesnt even get hot with the default "tiny-cooler".

Rassilon 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 12:41:52
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Cojo

Where did you find the data sheet for your processor? I am looking for the sheet for my G3 750CXe i think, so that I can check my voltages.

Cheers

Lewis

Last edited by Rassilon on 13-Oct-2004 at 12:58 PM.

Rassilon 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 12:46:35
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Rassilon

hmm, replying to my own mail.

I have found a data sheet and it says that the core voltage for my 750CXe should be 1.8v

Does anyone happen to know if thats right?

Thanks

Lewis

Last edited by Rassilon on 13-Oct-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by Rassilon on 13-Oct-2004 at 12:59 PM.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 14:40:28
#7 ]

@Rassilon

Yes, that's right.

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 15:18:11
# ]

@unimon

I have had the odd crash as well, I've just seen a guru on input.device, the computer was just sat at the desktop, doing nothing (I had visitors at the time so was not using it)

I will run some memory tests later to make sure I've not zapped something with all the recent work I have been doing to get the IDE card working/

Report this post  
Paul 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 16:38:55
#9 ]
Cult Member

@unimon

Quote:

When I first did the update, I did just that. An update. It only ran properly once, and after that it never booted right again. So I booted from the update CD, quick formatted my System partition, and then did an install instead of an update. Now it seems to boot properly, but I still get random freezes after running a short time. There is no possibility of mouse or keyboard input once this happens. So all I can do is reboot and start over.

Prior to this, I had done the U-boot update to 1.1.1, and had run it with the original pre-release for several days. N I C E !!!!! Things seemed a little faster generally, and I had ZERO problems. So I don't think it's a problem with the firmware.

Yes, I did the SLB update before running the OS update install. (with both the update and with the fresh full install of the update.

Not sure what to say. It seems to be an OS update problem in this case. (specs below)

Other than this, the OS pre-release has been a model of stability and smoothness for me.

Paul

Rogue 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 16:43:47
#10 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Paul

Check the voltage setting, it seems to make the difference for Cojo.

ikir 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 16:47:13
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Often is a voltage question. I have overclocked (i have a good cooling system now, more powerfull than the standard) my A1 at 1000Mhz. Before i had lock ups, later i have bring the voltage to 1,79 and my A1 is stable as rock now. right now it is about 24-28 hours, the day i use it, the night it works for Distrubuted Amiga

Paul 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 16:53:21
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
Check the voltage setting, it seems to make the difference for Cojo.

OK, I'll check tonight or tomorrow when I get back home. Those settings/jumpers are in the original manual, aren't they?

Is this showing up only at this late date because AltiVec is enabled now?

Paul

xeron 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 17:04:41
#13 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@unimon

Just out of interest, what PCI cards do you have attached, and in which slots?

unimon 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 17:42:37
#14 ]

@xeron

I have installed a SB4.1 and a SCSI controller (even if it isn't recognized) and a GfxCard Radeon serie 7000 and last a Catweasel (i'm looking for the AOS4 drivers...).

@hyperion
Well, I'm the first who thanks you for all the job you've made and it's a big one !!

There are no specific situation for making my A1 crash or frozen because it could be 5 minutes after using it or even 1 hour later.
First I've made the upgrade from the workbench and after i've decided to make the installation from de CD-ROM. One question: the installation from the Update CD-ROM in mode "install" does it install the complete system or only new components? Of course the contributions could be installed from de AOS pre-release...

Thanks

Rogue 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 17:44:28
#15 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@unimon

Quote:
One question: the installation from the Update CD-ROM in mode "install" does it install the complete system or only new components? Of course the contributions could be installed from de AOS pre-release...

If you choose 'install' it will make a complete install, and you should not try to install that "over" an existing installation.

Unfortunately, customized installations are very difficult to update (see the WBStartup problem), so it is recommended to re-install the system.

Rogue 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 17:47:00
#16 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Paul

Quote:
Those settings/jumpers are in the original manual, aren't they?

Yes, they should. You should also, if possible, check what kind of CPU you have.

Quote:
Is this showing up only at this late date because AltiVec is enabled now?

That wouldn't make a difference unless you use altivec code. I rather think that the code quality of gcc 3.4 makes better use of scheduling and therefore will run hotter.

xeron 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 17:47:06
#17 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@unimon

Thats interesting. Try putting the cards in a different order, or removing the Catweasel.

Cojo 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 17:53:05
#18 ]

@Rassilon

for the G3 750CXe i found that in the :
ibm datasheet
Vcore (all expect 600mhz) 1,7 to 1,9
Vcore 600mhz 1,8 to 1,9

other sites told 1.8 V nominal for the G3 750CXe.
so 1,8x Volt seem to be right. :)

for the g4 ist a bit confusing for me, it seems models produced before they utilised silicon on isolator technology ran at 1,55v (7451 chips?). the newer models (7455 chips?) run at 1,6v nominal.
maybe that explains why the default setting here was 1,55 but i dont know if i have one of the newer g4s or not, i dont want to remove the cooler to get sure
the website of my dealer told i brought a 7455 cpu the label on the cpu board tells its a 7451 O_o

Georg 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 18:36:15
#19 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
I rather think that the code quality of gcc 3.4 makes better use of scheduling and therefore will run hotter.

Even when just doing normal non-cpu intensive stuff? Where cpu is likely idle 90 % of the time? BTW: Does AOS4 use halt/hlt/stop or whatever it is called on PPC when being idle?
To make cpu sleep until interrupt happens. Instead of busy looping or so.

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 18:46:45
# ]

@Georg

Quote:

Georg wrote:
@Rogue

Quote:
I rather think that the code quality of gcc 3.4 makes better use of scheduling and therefore will run hotter.

Even when just doing normal non-cpu intensive stuff?

More integer units are active at the same time, even for "very simple" stuff.

Quote:
Where cpu is likely idle 90 % of the time? BTW: Does AOS4 use halt/hlt/stop or whatever it is called on PPC when being idle?

The PPC doesn't have such an instruction.

Report this post  
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle