Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kamelito:  6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  7 mins ago
 Kronos:  9 mins ago
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

PosterThread
Lou 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 14:13:13
#1 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:

ErikBauer wrote:
@BigD
Quote:

The Wii cannot provide Streetfighter IV/Red Alert 3 visuals or next gen experiences. The machine is an Eyetoy on acid but the Eye Toy was a fad and so is this! I don't care how many consoles are sold, casual gamers don't buy many games and an over focus on the Wii (if it ever happened) would make the gaming industry into a gimmick ridden/casual gamer focused joke of its former self. You can't even RENT Wii titles for goodness sake because of licensing issues!! Nintendo don't care about Europe and now don't care about their core fans = misery for anyone other than casual gamers!

Now we are back on track!

Decent lightsabre game? For now Force Unleashed is more than decent.
When WiiMotionPlus will come out we will see something better.

I know Wii cannot provide these visuals, that is clear right now. But please define "Next Gen Experience".
Should it be translated into "Better GFX and Sound than your console/PC/whatever" forever?
I surely hope not.
To me Next Gen is something innovative as Amiga was at it's times. Amiga was Next gen.
Nvidia was Nextgen when brought to the gaming world the first proper 3D GPU by creating the GeForce.
Play3 and X360 are just the same thing but more powerful and with some eyecandy function more.
3D Glasses would have been nextgen and they will hopefully be in the very next years.
But for now, the only contender that brought true innovations is Ninthendo with it's new controllers.

I'm ok with you: 90% of Wii games are totally crap. Most of the owners buy 1-2 party games and then let the console accumulate dust. Nintendo itself took several discutible decisions (Your license issues, promoting and investing in such a crap like WiiMusic...)
but they brought the true NextGen to us, that's clear.
You see, from now on I'll never be able to play an FPS on my PC without wishing a Wii like input mode.
And what about survival horrors? Lot of potentiality also there! Having to mimic gestures with both hands gets you more involved in the situation than pressing buttons on a joypad.
Let's not even talk about Golf, Tennis and Boxing games, even more potentiality here.
With this I'm not telling that the controls are perfectly implemented in games: programmers yet have to learn how to properly use them and the first array of games clearly reflects this fact, but the road is open nonetheless, future will hopefully bring us better controllers and more accustomized programmers.

So, is the Wii the true Nextgen? Yes
Is the Wii showing us all it's potential? Nope.

The latest build of Tiger Woods on the Wii uses WiiMotion Plus and does give that exact 1:1 experience.

@ BigD:
With WiiMotionPlus, you do get 1:1, however, how can any "sword" game be decent without a counter-force to stop your swings when you make contact? How are developers to handle that? Is the Wii expected to control the laws of physics now?
Please, jump off your high horse and get realistic. Since you will not own a Wii what does a decent light-saber game mean to you? Where is there a decent light-saber game on the 360/PS3? ...that's what I thought...

As for the EyeToy, that is the badly implemented gimmick. You will not get a game that utilized EyeToy in a fast-paced environment because all the calculations are done on the console. Perhaps next-gen (720/PS4) the consoles will have enough power to make their camera peripherals act WiiRemote-like enough to be used in all games and not silly "casual" games...
Touche.

Last edited by Lou on 03-Apr-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle