Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

Kronos,  OlafS25,  kamelito

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kamelito:  14 secs ago
 OlafS25:  37 secs ago
 Kronos:  3 mins ago
 pavlor:  6 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

PosterThread
BigD 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 7-Apr-2009 12:26:31
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I still see the 360 as the superior system for gaming because the overall system design seems better designed

What? Like the GPU overheating and causing RRoD ever since it's launch?!! The 360 was rushed to market and might be a more a more predictably designed machine following standard multicore CPU design etc, but I certainly wouldn't say it's a BETTER designed machine!

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5Hammer7-Apr-2009 13:12:32
      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5Lou7-Apr-2009 17:25:17
          Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5Lou7-Apr-2009 22:12:51

PosterThread
MikeB 
Posted on 7-Apr-2009 23:14:15
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
The PS3 is for people who don't want to buy a gaming console AND a blu ray player...

I think you meant to say, the PS3 is only interesting to people who want both want to watch Blu-Ray movies and play games.

However there are plenty of gamers who appreciate the extra content or quality can provide due to available space. Developers do as well.

Also people appreciate the drive being silent and disc being scratch resistant. Although every consumer electronics device can fail, the 360 has been extremely failure prone, court documents show Microsoft knew about RROD and disc scratching issues before the platform launched, I think that's pretty damning.

@ thread

An interesting SPU article with regard to God of War 3:

http://www.tilander.org/aurora/comp/gdc2009_Tilander_Filippov_SPU.pdf

Top | Parent

PosterThread
Hammer 
Posted on 12-Apr-2009 11:25:34
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@Hammer
Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@Lou

[quote]
Ok, now show me one game that does both. This is my point. Even the PS3 can high-light particular technical superiorities over the 360, but show me games that actually use it all. This is where the 360 shines over the PS3, this is where the SNES shines over the Amiga.

One problem, the SPE is between the CPU and GPU (cited Radeon X1900) in programmability and instruction set math specialization.

Quote:

On paper, the orignal Xbox was superior to the Gamecube in every way, in actuallity, the Gamecube pushed more in-game real-world polygons.

The system has to be balance i.e. Xbox1 was capable of Doom3, FarCry Instinct.

DeadSpace demo on the original Xbox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOBsih6Os0

DeadSpace on Wii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYwpbrtdlE&feature=related

Quote:
Yes, we should look at the system as a whole, I agree. I'm amazed that you semi-defended the PS3 there. But infact, that is my point and that is why the PS3 is not superior to the 360 when looked at as a whole system.

Like the lead designer of IBM’s PPE CPU, I take the view that both Xbox 360 and PS3 are about even.

I still see the 360 as the superior system for gaming because the overall system design seems better designed where as the PS3 seems like you always need to work around bottlenecks... The PS3 is for people who don't want to buy a gaming console AND a blu ray player...

Nice footage though, Dead Space Extraction looks interesting...[/quote]

On Xbox 360 vs PS3 from Dave Shippy. Refer to http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3904/processing_the_truth_an_interview_.php?print=1

To quote;
"I'm going to have to answer with an 'it depends,'" laughs Shippy, after a pause. "Again, they're completely different models. So in the PS3, you've got this Cell chip which has massive parallel processing power, the PowerPC core, multiple SPU cores… it's got a GPU that is, in the model here, processing more in the Cell chip and less in the GPU. So that's one processing paradigm -- a heterogeneous paradigm."

"With the Xbox 360, you've got more of a traditional multi-core system, and you've got three PowerPC cores, each of them having dual threads -- so you've got six threads running there, at least in the CPU. Six threads in Xbox 360, and eight or nine threads in the PS3 -- but then you've got to factor in the GPU," Shippy explains. "The GPU is highly sophisticated in the Xbox 360."

He concludes: "At the end of the day, when you put them all together, depending on the software, I think they're pretty equal, even though they're completely different processing models."

Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle