Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
49 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

A1200

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  2 mins ago
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 Rob:  16 mins ago
 bhabbott:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  24 mins ago
 marmotta:  55 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 21stcentury:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

PosterThread
Zardoz 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 23-Sep-2009 21:46:11
#1 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
The advantages in Windows of having multi-core improved over time. Multi-threading is needed for that. For the OS itself to take well advantage of multi-cores vs performance in a single core environment must include multi-processing abilities for core processes.

Windows was multithreaded a very long time before dual core processors got made, WindowsNT was running on multi-CPU systems for ages. The home OSes could run across multiple cores since Windows 2k. Some processes and services of the OS might be single threaded, but since the OS consists of many of them, it doesn't run on one core as such.

The driver model discussed there could very well be single threaded (Hammer?) and certainly having a multicore processor will help with that, provided there is enough memory bandwidth available and expensive forms of synchronisation are not needed. However, this is not the same as having the OS on one core and a game in another. It's possible to do that manually, just set the affinity in Task Manager, but I think that in many cases it's best to let the scheduler decide the load balance.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with you on this at all, I just pointed out a technical detail, that most of the time both the game and the OS will be scheduled between both CPUs, ie. a single game thread might jump between CPUs.

Last edited by Zardoz on 23-Sep-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
Lou 
Posted on 24-Sep-2009 11:57:15
#1 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Zardoz

Quote:
A single core is never ever ever dedicated to anything on Windows, sorry.

The advantages in Windows of having multi-core improved over time. Multi-threading is needed for that. For the OS itself to take well advantage of multi-cores vs performance in a single core environment must include multi-processing abilities for core processes.

A related quote from a few years ago:

"Finally, keep in mind that the Windows XP driver model for Direct3D is quite inefficient, to such an extent that in many applications, the OS and driver overhead associated with issuing Direct3D calls approaches 50% of available CPU cycles.Hiding this overhead will be one of the major immediate uses of multi-core."

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2377&p=3

This may also help with regard to what I am pointing at:

Why's my single core processor faster than my dual core?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070918204048AAy2WtW (edit, wrong link)

The visual display update interface of Windows was moved to the gpu with Vista. Win7 in particular is quite nice. All "windows" display updates are handled by the gpu instead of soft-rendering on the cpu then copied to the gpu.

Regardless, this issue never affected games as they delt directly with the gpu (via directX) for display at all times.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5Hammer24-Sep-2009 13:35:24
          Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5fairlanefastback24-Sep-2009 14:54:26
              Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5BigD24-Sep-2009 15:27:15
                  Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5BrianK24-Sep-2009 15:36:56
                      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5fairlanefastback24-Sep-2009 16:22:07
                          Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5fairlanefastback24-Sep-2009 16:23:59
                              Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5Lou24-Sep-2009 17:47:51
                                  Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5MikeB24-Sep-2009 17:59:57
                                      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5Lou24-Sep-2009 18:04:46
                                          Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5MikeB24-Sep-2009 18:33:08
                                              Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5BrianK24-Sep-2009 20:33:42
                                                  Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5MikeB25-Sep-2009 5:36:33
                                                      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5BrianK25-Sep-2009 12:36:27
                  Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5ErikBauer24-Sep-2009 16:22:00
                      Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5fairlanefastback24-Sep-2009 16:26:26
                          Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5ErikBauer24-Sep-2009 16:31:37

PosterThread
Hammer 
Posted on 24-Sep-2009 13:28:24
#1 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Zardoz

Quote:
A single core is never ever ever dedicated to anything on Windows, sorry.

A related quote from a few years ago:

"Finally, keep in mind that the Windows XP driver model for Direct3D is quite inefficient, to such an extent that in many applications, the OS and driver overhead associated with issuing Direct3D calls approaches 50% of available CPU cycles.Hiding this overhead will be one of the major immediate uses of multi-core."

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2377&p=3

The context was 2005 era X86 CPU. Times has changed with the arrival Intel Core 2/ Core i7 and AMD Athlon II/Phenom II. Regardless of this issue, Crysis still blows away Uncharted 2 in graphics department.

Quote:

This may also help with regard to what I am pointing at:

Why's my single core processor faster than my dual core?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070918204048AAy2WtW (edit, wrong link)

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 has auto-over clocking feature (refer to Intel Dynamic Acceleration) during single CPU core usage.

Last edited by Hammer on 24-Sep-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle