Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Kronos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Kronos:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 52 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  6 hrs 33 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 46 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  6 hrs 58 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4.1 system uptime!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
DWolfman 
Re: OS4.1 system uptime!
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 3:21:53
#61 ]

@DWolfman

Here I go, prodding this old thread again.

Still haven't rebooted since the last time I posted. Here's my current uptime:

Tuesday 01/11/2011 9:16 PM
System has been up since 11/07/2010 7:35 PM (total uptime 65 days, 01:41:15)

That's longer than I got on this thread the first time around!

And for those that gripe about the electricity usage, the temp outside right now is about 6°F (-14°C). Forecast says it will get down to 0°F tonight, maybe a little colder, and not get above 20°F tomorrow. I'll take any heat I can right now, because this apartment has a really crappy HVAC system and pretty poor insulation.

Even posted this using OWB from the OS4 box.

Profile     Report this post  
OldFart 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 10:06:52
#62 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@DWolfman

Congratulations! But something I do not understand:
Quote:
Tuesday 01/11/2011 9:16 PM
System has been up since 11/07/2010 7:35 PM (total uptime 65 days, 01:41:15)

From July 11, 2010 upto January 11, 2011 is about half a year and half a year is about 183 days (did not bother to calculate this exactly), however your report says only 65 days and some remainder.
Care to elaborate?

OldFart

Last edited by OldFart on 12-Jan-2011 at 10:07 AM.

and you'll have the time of your life!

PR 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 10:20:17
#63 ]

A few hours for the XE now. A year for the A500;) (Joke intended)

emeck 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 11:30:32
#64 ]
Cult Member

@OldFart

Quote:
From July 11, 2010 upto January 11, 2011

It is from November 7, 2010 upto January 11, 2011 (I think)

OldFart 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 11:44:54
#65 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@emeck

Quote:
It is from November 7, 2010 upto January 11, 2011 (I think)

Now you mention this: i think it too... Just my mistake in interpretating American style of date representation and mixing things up.

Case clear to me. Thanks.

OldFart

and you'll have the time of your life!

wawa 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 11:52:07
#66 ]
Elite Member

even if this had any sence to keep a computer on 24/7 except running a server these uptimes seem pretty unrealistic to me. counted in hibernation times i dont get close to any such results with my win notebook if i want to get any serious work done. one has to reboot now and then, even if to defrag memory, install something or activate a device. otherwise, forgive me, it must be like these macintosh users, that never get any problems with their computer because using only two programs it came with.

BobW 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 14:23:54
#67 ]

@DWolfman

The only way I've ever gotten a runtime like that on an Amiga style operating system is if I leave it on and don't really use it. As soon as you start really browsing the web, checking email, playing games etc. the run times drop dramatically.

@wawa

My Mac routinely gets run times of of 60+ days and I use it for everything. Chrome, Firefox, VLC, Open Office, VPN into work, WOW, Crossover Games, editing images, printing photos, playing music, c programming... The only time I reboot is when there is an OS update.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 15:20:35
#68 ]

Uptime: From power on to power off.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 12-Jan-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 15:21:35
#69 ]

@wawa

Quote:
i dont get close to any such results with my win notebook

You can't compare two completely different OS'es that way.

Tomas 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 17:50:15
#70 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
even if this had any sence to keep a computer on 24/7 except running a server these uptimes seem pretty unrealistic to me. counted in hibernation times i dont get close to any such results with my win notebook if i want to get any serious work done. one has to reboot now and then, even if to defrag memory, install something or activate a device. otherwise, forgive me, it must be like these macintosh users, that never get any problems with their computer because using only two programs it came with.

That is because you are running a ####ty OS when it comes to stability. The linux box i use as main computer is never ever rebooted unless there is a power outage, hardware upgrade or large software update that includes new kernel. I have twice in a row reached over 300 days uptime with no noticeable slow downs or issues.
I am sure i could do years if i had UPS or more stable electricity supply.

I pretty much use this pc for everything, so cant be explained away with it being sitting idle around either.
I even use it for tv watching, capturing, encoding and so on with a dvb-s card which would always crash any windows system i have owned within a week or two.

Oh and you dont need to reboot even for "activating" a device. You have been using windows so much that you somehow think that this is how OSes should work. Linux is smart enough to only restart the parts of the system that is upgraded. If you install a sound card, gfx card driver or similar then it just restarts the sound system or gfx system. You can even update most of the OS while it is still in USE and you can also delete/overwrite files that are in use as well.

My current uptime is not that much to brag about though: 18:58:27 up 61 days, 18:16, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.09

Last edited by Tomas on 12-Jan-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Last edited by Tomas on 12-Jan-2011 at 05:56 PM.

BobW 
Posted on 12-Jan-2011 18:05:13
#71 ]

@Tomas

Gotta love Linux:

13:04:01 up 289 days, 3:04, 2 users, load average: 0.28, 0.41, 0.48

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Jan-2011 2:02:05
#72 ]

@OldFart

I'm in the USA, that MM/DD/YYYY format.

It's been up since November 7th.

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Jan-2011 2:03:56
#73 ]

@BobW

I don't use it every day, probably every other day. Do a little browsing with OWB from links in emails inside Thor (yes, I still use that old program for my email).

It's been doing really well, since I dropped the CPU speed back to 1 GHZ from 1.066 GHz.

Seer 
Posted on 14-Jan-2011 18:39:34
#74 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

That is because you are running a ####ty OS when it comes to stability. The linux box i use as main computer is never ever rebooted unless there is a power outage, hardware upgrade or large software update that includes new kernel. I have twice in a row reached over 300 days uptime with no noticeable slow downs or issues.
I am sure i could do years if i had UPS or more stable electricity supply.

3 or 4 of our Windows 2003 Servers would have had an uptime of over 600 days if the power hadn't failed for over 2 hours last friday. (The UPS's last about 30 minutes)

At times we discover a WinXP machine with an uptime of 200 days (we have a policy that shut down workstations at 22:00, doesn't always work if an app (some DOS based progams) refuses to close). We've had NT4 servers with uptimes of 200+ days. (Last NT4 server was shut down permanently almost a year ago).

Most of the other servers (we have over 50) had to be shut down for hardware or software upgrades or harddrive failures. Hardly ever need to reboot because of the OS.

Win98 machines were a pain to keep up and running tho.

Last edited by Seer on 14-Jan-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Last edited by Seer on 14-Jan-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Last edited by Seer on 14-Jan-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Last edited by Seer on 14-Jan-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 14-Jan-2011 19:51:57
#75 ]
Elite Member

My current uptime is quite low since I powered off last night. Usually I keep it running though since I find it so hard to find my way back to where in the programming I was last night if I power off.

Anyway, my average uptime is 1 days, 6 hours, 49 minutes, 35 seconds as reported by TimeShow (Deniil715Pack on aminet).

I've had 2 weeks uptime at most and one week happens now and then but usually it is a few days. When I do have a hang I usually have many in a row when programming lowering the normal average.

But I have to agree with someone: If one gets an uptime of 2 month with an Amiga you cannot do much with it. For me it is my one and only computer and as such I have to give its web browsers some tough pages fairly often and IBrowse crashes now an then and OWB runs out of memory causing general unstability and soon cause some crash or lockup. Since I also do a lot of programming I crash for this reason also and sometime needs to reboot.

DWolfman 
Posted on 31-Jan-2011 1:09:42
#76 ]

Just one thing to say:

System has been up since 11/07/2010 7:49 PM (total uptime 83 days, 23:16:48)

Been working so much (14 hour days at work) that I hadn't been able to do anything with my computers for a while. This A1 has been up that long, and is still working fine (typing this with OWB on it).

And my Win7 box is doing ok too, at almost 16 days uptime, and it's also got the Distributed.net clients running on it like the A1.

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Feb-2011 7:20:12
#77 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Quote:

DWolfman wrote:

So, I went browsing the forums and found a really old thread (over a year) about uptimes that had a couple replies. Decided this might be better as a new thread.

A few weeks ago I submitted the following Workbench screenshot:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=607

You can see I had a 27 day uptime at that time

Where to start?
O.K. - currently I only have OS 4.0 classic - but just as experimental installation. "Experimental" because it is not usable as a "main system" on my A4kPPC, as it lacks USB 2.0 highspeed support as well as support for newer RTL chips on NICs.

While a suitable NIC can easily be obtained at e-bay, the lacking USB 2.0 highspeed support is a showstopper.

I'm afraid I will not buy OS 4.1 clssic because of that, as long as it isn't clear if and when it will be updated to support USB 2.0 highspeed.

I already saw the need for more RAM than the 128 mB on the CSPPC when trying OS 4.0 classic, but there was no way to get more. When ZORram and OS 4.1 classic were announced, I immediately planned to buy a 256 mB ZORram and the new OS version.

But when I learned from HJF that neither USB 2.0 highspeed is supported, nor newer RTL chips for NICs, I decided to wait until at least USb 2.0 h.s. is supported in one way or annother.

What I really do not understand is why the OS4 dev team decided to re-invent the wheel and try to do their own USB solution, while there is a well-known, established and prooven solution available for 68k AmigaOS, that is open source.

Why do the OS devs waste time and resources by trying to do their own thing (but not being able to do this in a reasonable time frame), while all they need to do is to port Poseidon to OS 4.x and enhance it at the same time to support all the USB chipsets of the so cslled NG Amigas?

Why do they/you think USB support has to be included in the OS?
Just because the "mainstream" OSses have it that way?

What are the advantages over a solution like Poseidon for 68k Amigas?
The endless period of waiting for something that already was available for elder OS versions?

I would suggest to port Poseidon to OS 4.x and to enhance it to support the NG Amigas as far as possible/reasonable in parallell to the attempt of the OS devs.
I somehow have the feeling this way we could have USB 2.0 highspeed for OS 4.x much earlier than by waiting for it to be included in the OS...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Feb-2011 8:00:56
#78 ]
Elite Member

@BobW

Quote:

BobW wrote:
@DWolfman

The only way I've ever gotten a runtime like that on an Amiga style operating system is if I leave it on and don't really use it. As soon as you start really browsing the web, checking email, playing games etc. the run times drop dramatically.

The up time of your device "drops dramatically" while you're using it?
How is that going to work?

Quote:

BobW wrote:
@wawa

My Mac routinely gets run times of of 60+ days and I use it for everything.

Also for sleeping?
(This could explain why it is not switched off overnight).

A few years back I had my A4kPPC running 24/7 for nearly a year - it was running the clients (68k & WarpOS) for the RC5 decrypting competition - but with OS3.9/WarpOS.
Aside from this I always switch my computers off when I finished my work.

Last edited by Dandy on 02-Feb-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 02-Feb-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Feb-2011 10:35:29
#79 ]
Elite Member

@freeaks

Quote:

freeaks wrote:

if you actually use the machine, play games, browse, check mail, edit texts, draw some pics, listen music.. baam ! crash all of sudden.

i could prove it with *any* amiga, classic or ng and a camera if needed.
within 24h the system will just crash.
it will happens in 24h. more than once even ..

Sorry, but I cannot confirm this - at least not regarding OS 3.9.

I had my A4kPPC switched on 24/7 for well over half an year without any crash. It was working on the OGR-25/RC-5 projects (68k and WarpOS) day and night.

But I have to admit that my A4kPPC tends to crash every 1 - 1.5 years.

This up to now always has been due to the corrosion of the contacts between CSPPC and mobo and could easily be fixed by cleaning the contacts with commercially available contact sprays.

Currently I'm having random hd failures (resulting in the HD finally not being accessible and then leading to a system crash, if I continue) and I suspect that somewhere in the hd's power supply cabling one or more connectors have corrosion problems as well (I used a lot of "Y" cables to have enough connectors to supply all the devices in my Micronik "Big Box" tower - the PSU just had four cables with device connectors) - hopefully I'll have enough spare time on the coming weekend to look after it.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 2-Feb-2011 12:49:49
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@EmperorLongo

[quote]
EmperorLongo wrote:
@Trev

it is coldest in 222 years in my city: http://www.iceagenow.com/Coldest_in_Norway_in_222_years.htm

I followed your link and find it interesting that the article there talks about this winter being the coldest since 222 years, while the article linked there says weather recording in Trondheim started in 1923.

I don't know about Norway or Trondheim in particular - I just know that according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) "regular wheather recording" started in 1850.

In Germany the start of weather recording ranges from 1878 to 1927 - depending on the region/city.

Dandy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle