Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 36 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  21 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 tygre:  4 hrs 11 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 minator:  5 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
T_Bone 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 23:15:19
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Quote:

The installer doesn't know it's installing OS4's bootloader, apparently. From the page it appears there are two files, one is just Sony's installer, which does nothing but install the other file, which is provided by Hyperion. Hyperion's provided file then is responsible for booting and installing the rest of the OS.

Again, the installer may come with an EULA that forbids anything commercial or "for profit" from being installed.

This can be solved by someone who has installed a linux distro on his/her PS3. Anyone?

Here's the EULA:

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/terms.html

Last edited by T_Bone on 09-Mar-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 23:21:43
#102 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@Lou

Here's the EULA:

Ok, so doesn't clause 2 prevent Hyperion from using it for business use?

Last edited by Lou on 09-Mar-2007 at 11:22 PM.

T_Bone 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 23:25:51
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@Lou

Here's the EULA:

Hyperion aren't using it. Hyperion aren't allowed to redistribute the installer. The user must download the installer and agree to the license and use it. (thus it requires, according to Sony, the use of a PC, further amplifying and aggravating Hyperion's bullet points WRT Amithlon )

Sony doesn't need to restrict OS'es via a EULA. If people are using an OS on their PS3 that is resulting in sales of PS3's with no game sales to help offset the loss, I'm sure a bios update *cough*rootkit could just render that OS incompatible.

(yea that could be a problem I imagine)*

* if we had that many users though, I guess that'd be a high class problem.

Last edited by T_Bone on 10-Mar-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Last edited by T_Bone on 09-Mar-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Tigger 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 5:48:14
#104 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

People: Linux is a free OS.

Terrasoft is selling YDL for the PS3, that gets rid of all of your complaints.
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 5:51:48
#105 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

No, not at all.
-Tig

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 7:19:18
#106 ]

@Tigger

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
Quote:

People: Linux is a free OS.

-Tig

Yet is also ensuring that people can download the source code for free.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/downloads.shtml

What people are mainly paying for when they buy YDL from Terrasoft is not only the fancy case and DVD but also the 6 month install support not to mention 1 year subscription to updates from them.

I don't see what Terrasoft is doing as much of an interference to Hyperion porting OS4 to the PS3 and distrubuting it but a really advantagious handicap as well as major head start to Terrasoft.

Last edited by ReverseGTR on 10-Mar-2007 at 07:20 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 10:28:48
#107 ]
Elite Member

Note that Terra Soft also sells PS3s pre-installed with Yellow Dog Linux. A quote from me regarding Sony's 'Other OS' vision originating from March 2006 here at AmigaWorld:

Quote:
Kutaragi said the PS3 will run operating systems as applications. "The kernel will be running on the Cell, and multiple OSes will be running on top of that as applications. Of course, the PS3 can run Linux. If Linux can run, so can Lindows. Other PC Operating Systems can run too, such as Windows and (Mac OS) Tiger, if the publishers want to do so. Maybe a new OS might come out," he adds.

BTW, for those who are interested:

PLAYSTATION®3 Home Information Thread
PLAYSTATION®3 Home™ Thread - Massive official FAQ

Resistance, Motorstorm, Oblivion and Virtual Fighter 5 seem like some the most interesting and high profile PS3 titles of their respective game gernes during the European launch.

Some don't think too high of Resistance, but I think the game is seriously cool, if interested check out the the Resistance homepage to get yourself familiar with the story, all country sites have their own voiced translation!
http://www.resistancefallofman.com/

Last edited by MikeB on 10-Mar-2007 at 10:29 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 12:15:52
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Yeah I don't really doubt that. Or that they at least had it planned. After all they've been talking about something similar for a long time, but probably haven't been able to pull it off on a technical level.

I agree the PS2 as launched in October 2000 wasn't ready yet for this kind of massive online experience, but it seems to have been their strategy for quite a while. A quote from 2005 on the official PlayStation board:

"SCEA and SOE are developing MMORPG(something similiar to ffxi) style online service for PS3 right now. It will have online pack which it comes with HDD and the online software. You can go online and chat with people like mmorpg style. Your stats will have the list of games you have and scores(or ranks) for each game, and other great things. And if you want to look for someone to play online for certain game, you have to go to this certain area(or town) for that specific game or the game will automatically takes you to that town. Sony thinks "hyper links" technology is a history. They want to create a "virtual world" for PS3 online service where people can actually interact eachother like mmorpg style. There are more great details, but this is all I can get for now. I'm not expecting you to believe me"

Brian Ashcraft recently: "We did some leg-work, and various insiders confirmed that apparently Sony has been planning Home for at least the past three years — Pretty much Xbox Live blew the doors off everything. (Originally, Home had a more futuristic feel. Think PSO.) Even Kutaragi has supposedly been interested in a visual, 3D, online interface with personalized avatars since the PS2 days. The irony: It's been kept top secret to prevent competitors from copying it! Rome wasn't built in a day."

Meanwhile the PS3 has been officially launched in Singapore as well, an interesting quote:

"Tetsuhiko Yasuda, Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Asia, said, "I was involved in the development of PlayStation, and we successfully launched PlayStation 1 with 100 million units sold worldwide, and for PlayStation 2 we sold 120 million units. With PlayStation 3 we are targeting approximately 150 to 200 million units sold worldwide."

Anonymous 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 13:09:24
# ]

@MikeB

News from GDC say that UT3 will indeed support mouse and keyboard as well as controller on PS3. No word on the 360 version yet. I just thought you'd like to know if you didn't find confirmation already.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 13:51:24
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Yes that was promising news for me! With mouse and keyboard support the PS3 also potentially provides me a far more viable platform to play strategy games on. I will be returning the XBox 360 premium to my sister next week, maybe I'll buy her Viva Piñata as the game most likely won't be appearing for the PS3.

Anonymous 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 14:08:04
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
With mouse and keyboard support the PS3 also potentially provides me a far more viable platform to play strategy games on.

Potentially, yes. Recent developments have made controllers much better than previously. Try out LotR: Battles for Middle Eart 2 if you want to see the first step on the path to nailing it. The Halo Wars developers are said to have an extremely natural control system for controllers, because it was developed for console from the ground up. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

I wonder how Epic are going to differentiate between controller and keyboard players. Shadowrun which is coming out for 360 and PC this year is said to have a perfect balance between keyboard and controllers and will let players go up against each other no matter if they're using a keyboard and a controller (or PC/360 - it has cross-platform multiplayer). I wonder whether Epic is using the same kind of balancing system, showing people what people are using in online matches or just let people play unbalanced. The latter would IMHO be a major mistake - we saw the results of that on Dreamcast with Quake 3. Not pretty.

Last edited by Trezzer on 10-Mar-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 16:58:57
#112 ]
Elite Member

@ReverseGTR

ReverseGTR wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

-Tig

Yet is also ensuring that people can download the source code for free.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/downloads.shtml

What people are mainly paying for when they buy YDL from Terrasoft is not only the fancy case and DVD but also the 6 month install support not to mention 1 year subscription to updates from them.

I don't see what Terrasoft is doing as much of an interference to Hyperion porting OS4 to the PS3 and distrubuting it but a really advantagious handicap as well as major head start to Terrasoft.

yes some are too blind to see the difference...
Red Hat sold you a compilation CD of Linux and free apps. Everything was free but you still had to pay for the actual packaging and printed manuals if you wanted them even though it was available for download.

Linux is free.

If it's not free it's not Linux

Linux "distributors" make money on services and support, not sales.
Unless OS4 becomes free for the PS3, it will not happen.

To whomever said a user installing OS4 is legal, it is, however Hyperion couldn't legally develop it because they would be porting it for business reasons. They would be downloading the installer for business reasons.
BUSINESS, not PERSONAL use.

Last edited by Lou on 10-Mar-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 17:39:21
#113 ]
Team Member

@Lou

What on earth are you going on about?

T_Bone 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 19:56:52
#114 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

You hate the idea, don't you

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 20:05:58
#115 ]

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

To whomever said a user installing OS4 is legal, it is, however Hyperion couldn't legally develop it because they would be porting it for business reasons. They would be downloading the installer for business reasons.
BUSINESS, not PERSONAL use.

According to their official site they allow any "third party" OS to be installed even though obvious they do not support it, which means if it causes any problem SCEA's support can't do anything to fix it.

In other they mean any third party and considering an team of programmers making and selling a product is considered a corporation according to any tax revenue service or other business, that means Hyperion can try to make OS4 work on the PS3. They just have to give Sony a really good reason like Terrasoft to lend somewhat of a hand.

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html

Tigger 
Posted on 10-Mar-2007 20:17:39
#116 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@Lou

You hate the idea, don't you

Yes he does. :)
-Tig

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Mar-2007 12:15:44
#117 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Some more food for thought regarding where the PC industry is moving towards:

"Across two separate lectures at this week's Game Developers Conference, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and Epic Games president Michael Capps both admitted that piracy of PC games caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform"

"Comments made by Epic's Capps carried a similar tone. "PC gaming is really falling apart," he revealed. "It killed us to make Unreal Tournament 3 cross-platform, but Epic had to do it," adding "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works." Epic is currently developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in-house."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079

Tomas 
Posted on 11-Mar-2007 13:17:44
#118 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Why do you keep ignoring my question?

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Mar-2007 14:31:36
#119 ]
Elite Member

@Hannibal_Smith

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I can't see normal people buying into that kind of thing in the same way they have Miis. It looks too complicated and too involved.

I think many people would prefer Home over Mii if both were available for the Nintendo Wii and the Wii was actually powerful enough to handle the features and graphics properly. Mii to me looks a bit too childish, also for most adolescences.

Regarding these screenshots, IMO the only thing looking simpler to me is the crappy graphics. Overall Mii may be simpler, as equivalent features are lacking. I don't think Home will be hard to navigate and get used to though, I think young kids will have Home figured out in no time.

@ Tomas

Tigger answered your question, why don't you answer his?

Last edited by MikeB on 11-Mar-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 11-Mar-2007 14:34:32
#120 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Well, I'd say that Mii is appealing to Japanese teenagers and European/American children. Both are equally unappealing to me, one life is enough. :-p

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle