Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 ROMwack:  9 mins ago
 kolla:  20 mins ago
 kamelito:  27 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Posted on 29-May-2007 12:43:50
#1141 ]
Elite Member

"HELIOS offers free simplified Linux distribution for Sony PLAYSTATION®3

HELIOS’ simplified Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 utilizes the IBM 64-bit 3.2 GHz Cell processor to provide a powerful state of the art Linux server for Sony PLAYSTATION®3"

http://www.helios.de/news/news07/N_04_07.phtml

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 13:17:04
#1142 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
And where does BlueTooth and the USB cable *read and write* from and to? That's right, the memory stick on your device, for which you paid fifty quid instead of twenty, because it's a Sony or SanDisk Pro Duo.

Well my phone has 60MB internal memory which can be expanded with MicroSD cards, would I have felt I needed Memory Sticks I wouldn't have bought the phone: Consumer's choice

Quote:
I do not like the phones from their competitors, period. You push it here, you push it there, you just cannot admit the fact that Sony pushed their own proprietary and incredibly expensive format forward instead of using the existing, mass-produced, standards.

So I think you should give Sony some credit, so it's completely your own choice despite the many alternatives available to you. Overall Sony Ericson offers the best product to suit your needs. If you buy a house and it comes with an expensive swimming pool, you buy the complete package, some people will like the swimming pool others won't.

Quote:
rinitron TV's were just rehashing of the old Trinitron TVs

I loved my Sony Trinitron TV, don't like it, don't buy it.

That I use a Windows PC and a Windows laptop as my primary computers has nothing to do with my personal preferences. Windows is so dominant that many software isn't being ported to alternatives anymore. For example my girlfriend needs Windows for some software she uses for her study.

Quote:
All these huge electronics companies have stopped producing innovative and quality consumer electronics decades ago

Nonsense, just look at the cell processor, Sony and Philips' paper thin displays, the great 3.2 megapixal camera integrated into my super thin (10.9 mm) mobile phone, etc, etc.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 14:33:43
#1143 ]
Elite Member

Here's a website I didn't know about sharing lots more horror stories:
http://www.xbox360defective.com/

Lou 
Posted on 29-May-2007 14:46:42
#1144 ]
Elite Member

SUN has shot themselves in the foot with JAVA as new revisions have broken old code. This is what JAVA was supposed to avoid.

MONO is the .net open-sourve implementation for Linux.

.Net is great though MS jumped from 2.0 to 3.0 with a quickness. I've only just moved to 2.0 from 1.1 as 1.1 was incomplete. It was dependent on alot of ActiveX for things like communicating with serial ports. 2.0 feels complete. I haven't looked at 3.0 yet.

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-May-2007 15:43:34
#1145 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Nonsense, just look at the cell processor, Sony and Philips' paper thin displays, the great 3.2 megapixal camera integrated into my super thin (10.9 mm) mobile phone, etc, etc.

The Cell processor isn't their own technology entirely, it wouldn't have been what it is without IBM's IP.

About the paper-thin displays, true, but look at their DVD player range, their sound gear, generally most of their consumer electronics. Generally, Sony isn't known for their "great cameras", although they have miniaturised CCDs. The last 3 Philips products I've had were headphones, an MP3 player and the 150X LCD. All three sucked badly, although the 150X still is in use as a secondary monitor.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 16:54:56
#1146 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
he Cell processor isn't their own technology entirely

So IBM isn't one of the "huge electronics companies" you were talking about?

Quote:
ll three sucked badly

Most consumer electronics companies release low spec as well as higher cost high spec products. Without you being more precise with regard to which products you refer to exactly there's no way to look up actual reviews.

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-May-2007 17:30:26
#1147 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
So IBM isn't one of the "huge electronics companies" you were talking about.

No, IBM is not a consumer electronics company.

Quote:
Most consumer electronics companies release low spec as well as higher cost high spec products. Without you being more precise with regard to which products you refer to exactly there's no way to look up actual reviews.

Although I can't remember the model now, the Philips player cost me £80, so it was middle end. I've had many ear-taps by Philips, prices ranging from £20 to £30, making them pretty expensive eartaps. The Philips LCD 150X you might have trouble finding reviews of in English, I've found some German ones. It has **very** bad light leaking. People keep complaining that the Dell 2005FPW has light leaking but this is in an entirely different league, it's impossible to watch even relatively dark films. It retailed at about ¤300 3 years ago and is 15". Build quality wise, these companies could never match the dedicated companies. Eizo and Viewsonic and the like always were better than Sony and Philips and Toshiba monitors, audio manufacturers such as Dantax, Denon, McIntosh, etc. always produced better sound gear than Sony and Philips (or indeed Yamaha, good sound gear from the Yamaha brand comes under the Denon label). You generally do not get those lovely Sony/Philips/Yamaha/Etc products such as "400W" Amplifiers with a 200W power supply that are so popular from dedicated companies. The problem is the portable CD gear market. There really is no choice at all than to either buy Sony/Philips/Aiwa/whatever or no-name Chinese crap. I have to say that I prefer Sony's portable CD gear out of that bunch, just as I prefer Sony Ericsson's phones. Sennheiser, Shure and other brands make ear-taps that are whole worlds apart from the Sony/Philips/Technics/etc bunch even at comparable prices. I got suckered into buying the Technics RP-F290 headphones after readings some quite favourable reviews. I paid £40 for them and they suck so bad it's not funny. When will people realise that music is generally not bass and treble but mostly mids? They are useless for any kind of guitar music, since you end up listening to something that already has scooped mids through a speaker that has scooped mids.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 19:47:55
#1148 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
No, IBM is not a consumer electronics company

http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/electronics/index.jsp

Quote:
The Philips LCD 150X you might have trouble finding reviews of in English

PCMag: 4 out of 5

CNET editors' review (7.0 out of 10): Very Good

That monitor isn't Philips best display, there are better products:

Philips Cineos 32PF9731D 32in LCD TV
37PF9830
Philips 17PF9945

BrianK 
Posted on 29-May-2007 20:34:23
#1149 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
good sound gear from the Yamaha brand comes under the Denon label
Yeah but if you're going D&M Holdings then do Marantz! Though quite a few of their DVD players are Pioneer Elites with hand selected components.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 21:04:23
#1150 ]
Elite Member

It appears some consumers are even asking for a X360 recall: "The Xbox 360's require a recall, as many users are wasting their money on a faulty product."

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?360recal&1

Of course that won't happen, personally I wish Microsoft released a sturdy re-design of the Elite and offer a good trade-in option for people owning working and defective XBox 360 consoles. A NeoGAF member stated already his second Elite broke...

If there's one company which could easily afford to offer a good deal, it would be Micro$oft.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-May-2007 21:24:41
#1151 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I'd be interesting to see how many sign up and can prove they actually had issues. There's ~3,600 signatures right now out of 10M Xboxes in circulation is a paltry amount not even 1/2 of 1% of users. Give them time perhaps they'll get to everyone. Best of luck with them.

I'm going to use my launch 360 cya!

EDIT: I love reading some of the postings...'I don't own one but it seems there is a problem I support a recall.' 'Broke after 2 months and Microsoft said I have to pay $129 to fix' -- now this later is simply bogus there's a 1 year no questions asked warranty unless someone broke the warranty seals which then this is better then some companies that refuse any repair if you broke the warranty seals. When Microsoft did charge for repairs, early on only a 90 day warranty, those users have received checks for the repair price, so if legit this guy got paid back.

Last edited by BrianK on 29-May-2007 at 09:29 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 21:41:33
#1152 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

You are wrong with regard to warranties, you do some reading in the NeoGAF thread. People are still paying for their XBox 360s to be fixed, for instance "fixed" XBox 360 users which broke down after a 90 day repair warranty.

Regarding the petition note that not every XBox 360 user will find that petition unless the media would give the petition some mass coverage, also not everyone speaks english as their native language and not all newly bought units will show problems on arrival.

MikeB 
Posted on 29-May-2007 21:49:19
#1153 ]
Elite Member

Some food for thought. According to Game Daily BIZ an EA insider informed them 30-50% of the consoles of 300 consoles EA owned in 2006 broke. That's an exceptionally bad failure rate for a product available for less than 1 year at the time.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-May-2007 23:52:06
#1154 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
You are wrong with regard to warranties, you do some reading in the NeoGAF thread. People are still paying for their XBox 360s to be fixed, for instance "fixed" XBox 360 users which broke down after a 90 day repair warranty.

I might be wrong or simply they might be lying.

You know it is amazing that you seem to believe everyone that says anything bad about the 360. Yet when I report I have a PS3 w/ turbo jet fan mode you question if that's true. You do overly ignore data that seems to be out of line with your bias. Could you be Bush declaring war on Iraq? Maybe the WMDs are in the 360.

As for EA. I don't believe the guy. Why? He's not sure if 90 or 150 boxes died? Yet we heard nothing from EA about delays or issues about the 360. Surely this guy is not the director of IT or someone that would have accurate statistics about issues EA have experienced. If we give him that he does work for EA it appears at best he's talked to a few people that had 360 die within the company but no real knowledge about the true depth of the issues else he'd be able to make a somewhat more accurate assessment of the issues EA have experienced.

Last edited by BrianK on 30-May-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 30-May-2007 3:01:55
#1155 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Quote:
No, IBM is not a consumer electronics company

http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/electronics/index.jsp

So, where can I buy an IBM DVD player? Just in case you misunderstood what I meant by consumer electronics, which is what pretty much everyone else here means by that term.

Quote:
CMag: 4 out of 5
CNET editors' review (7.0 out of 10): Very Good
That monitor isn't Philips best display, there are better products:

Different product, my 150X has no DVI at all, it has VGA, power-in and a removable set of speakers. Nothing else.

Quote:

Philips Cineos 32PF9731D 32in LCD TV
37PF9830

*Completely* different markets, PC LCD displays vs HDTV panels? First of all, not even the DPI is comparable.

Quote:

Philips 17PF9945

Quote:
The 17PF9945 is a high-definition-capable 1024x768 pixel display with built in flat speakers. Performance aside, this is one good-looking monitor.

I am sorry, but what exactly is High-Definition about 1280 x 768p (the review is wrong about 1024x768)? That's the widescreen version of the same resolution as the 150X and it's absolutely *CRAP* for a 17" monitor, considering that the 15" standard is 1024x768 and the 17" is 1280x1024. Moreover, it's £260, no competition for the 2005FPW I got for £340 in December 2005.

Last edited by AMiGR on 30-May-2007 at 03:04 AM.

jiyong 
Posted on 30-May-2007 3:46:01
#1156 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@jiyong

Quote:
As Sony pointed out on many occasions (can't remember when, but I thought it was with 1.60 too), BC is no longer a priority, but still we see better BC with (up till now) every new firmware.

No major changes is not equal to no changes.

And as I tried to investigate this, I ran into some more positive stuff: Undocumented PS3 1.80 firmware goodies

It seems some HDMI handshake problems were solved.

I'm confused why you even bothered to attempt to tie your statement to mine? I quoted SCEE themselves when they said no changes to backwards compatibility. Your statement is talking about other changes. Obviously I do not think that no changes haven't been done. It'd be a bit daft for Sony to release an upgrade without changes wouldn't yet? Yes of course. Of course and HDMI handshake problem doesn't make PS1 games work that didn't before as you state it fixed a problem with Westinghouse monitors.

Brian, when are you going to stop your childish games?

As I have asked you several times now, READ my posts and actually also your own posts carefully.

Where did SCEE say there will be no more changes to BC? Where? Looks like you are misquoting people or putting words into their mouths. It almost looks as if you are making it your habit.

And as I said before (it's even in the quoted text, but for you I will point it out AGAIN):

No major changes is not equal to no changes.

When BC is no longer their focus, does that mean we will never see any improvement to BC in the future?

When you can't figure out this logic, don't bother replying.

IIRC Phil Harrison already said around the European launch that BC was no longer a priority. I think I heard that in a video interview, but I can't find it anymore. But even the original text you quoted has the following line:

Quote:
As we have pointed out on many occasions, our engineer's focus is now on innovative applications and services for PS3 and not B/C, so you are not going to see major changes in future updates

First I addressed your FUD, after that I continued with some more good news for the PS3, that wasn't even mentioned by Sony themselves.

Please Brian, don't tell me you are so stupid that I need to spell out every post.

BrianK 
Posted on 30-May-2007 6:33:50
#1157 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
when are you going to stop your childish games?

I seriously don't know what you're tryin to do.. Belittling someone for no reason is unacceptable.

Quote:
Where did SCEE say there will be no more changes to BC? Where? Looks like you are misquoting people or putting words into their mouths. It almost looks as if you are making it your habit.

It appears you are trying to avoid the question. How does your point that there's fixes to HDMI support or not support the point I made that Sony said v1.8 has no changes to backwards compatibility? I questioned why your point was linked to mine as your point seemed to not be related.

Quote:
And as I said before (it's even in the quoted text, but for you I will point it out AGAIN):

No major changes is not equal to no changes

Alas yes and I made no claim that no major changes is equal to no changes. Your next statement was
Quote:
And as I tried to investigate this, I ran into some more positive stuff: Undocumented PS3 1.80 firmware goodies

It seems some HDMI handshake problems were solved.
[quote]
And you know that's all and good. My point was there were no changes to backwards compatibility and Sony themselves said they are focusing on updates not on B/C. Showing a change to HDMI doesn't support or negate my point about B/C because your point simply does not relate.

[quote]
But even the original text you quoted has the following line:

Quote:
As we have pointed out on many occasions, our engineer's focus is now on innovative applications and services for PS3 and not B/C, so you are not going to see major changes in future updates

First I addressed your FUD, after that I continued with some more good news for the PS3, that wasn't even mentioned by Sony themselves

You accuse me of not reading. It appears perhaps you have the reading problem. Don't claim this is my FUD when the quote you have included was the one that Sony themselves said.

Here's that full quote again so the context of exactly who said it isn't lost.
Quote:
Here's SCEE's statement in case you missed it
"This upgrade focused on upscaling and there were no significant backward compatibility enhancements. As we have pointed out on many occasions, our engineer's focus is now on innovative applications and services for PS3 and not B/C, so you are not going to see major changes in future updates

So if this is FUD, which it well may be. Name calling others is unacceptable perhaps name calling SCEE will better suit your usages. I had used Sony's own words about nothing major going on with B/C to let MikeB know why B/C didn't see any changes on v1.8 it appears that's not Sony's plans. Now if SCEE does have some secret plans or something to greatly increase B/C then the fault of me is nothing but believing in Sony's FUD.

Now to go back... How does your example support a change to backwards compatibility? Or show anything? Sorry it just doesn't related. It's fine you linked to my point I was just trying to figure out why the link as it doesn't make any sense as there was litte to no relation there.

BrianK 
Posted on 30-May-2007 6:46:33
#1158 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

v1.8 supposedly connects to Media Centers yet I seem to be having problems with my PS3 finding my VMC box. It just doesn't show up? Any ideas?

MikeB 
Posted on 30-May-2007 8:13:21
#1159 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I might be wrong or simply they might be lying.

NeoGAF is a forum filled with XBox 360 defenders (at least in the past). So if somebody is obviously lying it's countered immediately. But did you actually read that NeoGAF thread?

Quote:
You know it is amazing that you seem to believe everyone that says anything bad about the 360.

No you are incorrect, but to be honest I rather also think it's the other way around. I think issues are relatively underdiscussed by XBox 360 fanboys. The reason? Well, many of them for months tried to counter any negative reliability report coming out into the public, even to the point of attacking and fighting with the victims. Such people are now more likely to stay silent.

Quote:
As for EA. I don't believe the guy. Why? He's not sure if 90 or 150 boxes died?

You don't know how journalists are, probably it wasn't an official interview. More like, a journalist starts chit-chatting. Maybe the Journalist was talking about a review he's been planning, but stated his XBox 360 broke down during testing, the employee responding: "Tell me about it! XBox 360s have been dying left and right here at EA, the figures Microsoft is pulling out of its #### are completely bogus! At least tenfold! Around half of our ~300 XBox 360s have failed!"

Note EA has no interest to anger XBox 360 fanboys, so they won't go public with their issues officially.

Last edited by MikeB on 30-May-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 30-May-2007 at 08:53 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 30-May-2007 8:27:17
#1160 ]
Elite Member

MikeB wrote:

Quote:
tenfold

I think this may be a rational explanation, the discussion must have regarded Microsoft's claim of failure rates of between 3 and 5%, to which I believe the employee replied that these figures are wrong by a factor 10 based on EA's experience. That would then account for the journalist reporting between 30-50%.

@ BrianK

For tutorials try google.

Last edited by MikeB on 30-May-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle