Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  17 mins ago
 ROMwack:  23 mins ago
 kolla:  33 mins ago
 kamelito:  40 mins ago
 matthey:  47 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 7:55:09
#1221 ]
Elite Member

Exposing Alternative OSs to the Masses with PS3

"Especially for the non-technical among us, getting an alternative operating system like Linux or BeOS to work with hardware can be tricky — mostly because there’s “some sort of configuration that the development team didn’t expect, and this leads to often complicated workarounds…” says OS News contributor Ryan Theissen. So the news that Sony’s PS3 will include preinstalled Linux has huge implications for alternative OSs."

More:
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/njl/?p=121

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 10:44:44
#1222 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Nintendo Employees Generate $2.5 Million Each

"Judging by Nintendo's last fiscal year in which the company produced $8.26 billion in revenue, Fortune points out that each of Nintendo's 3,400 employees generates a staggering $2.5 million."

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16347

I can imagine Sony and Microsoft with record game division losses and 3rd party software developers looking at this enviously.

Hopefully Nintendo is working hard on a next gen version of the Nintendo Wii and considerably expands its workforce!

Last edited by MikeB on 01-Jun-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 12:06:03
#1223 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:

jiyong wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

When are you going to realize that it is your that stirs the pot...?

I guess you missed I was right all along.
I can't remember I can say the same for you.

Stick to the facts Lou, that's all I'm asking for.

Life can be really simple, as long as you are willing to be open for a real discussion and accurately reading the answers of the others.

And that doesn't include retracting statements, falsely accusing other people of misquoting and twisting posts of others and especially wishing them a timely death.

Do allow me to re-iterate:

Lou 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 12:10:42
#1224 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I will welcome a HD-capable Wii ...

when it's done.

In the meantime, when not playing WoW, I do enjoy my Wii very much. Infact, 5 people have bought Wii's after playing it at my house.

PS,
Nintendo are rumored to make a HARDWARE announcement at the stripped-down E3. I'm hoping for the 512MB of flash to be replaced with a 36GB 1.8" drive as well as DVD-playback... (call it a Wii SP ...Wiisp...Wisp)

Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 12:29 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 12:15:09
#1225 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
"Especially for the non-technical among us, getting an alternative operating system like Linux or BeOS to work with hardware can be tricky — mostly because there’s “some sort of configuration that the development te am didn’t expect, and this leads to often complicated workarounds…” says OS News contributor Ryan Theissen. So the news that Sony’s PS3 will include preinstalled Linux has huge implications for alternative OSs."

I completely disagree.

For the non-technical person who wants Linux or BeOS are they really non-technical? How many non-technical people have the knowledge of why VISTA sucks and why they should use something else? I'd say close to zero since non-technical aren't investing time to understand the technicals. Already in the marketplace there's the Apple alternative. It doesn't have quite as low cost of entry as some of the cheap PCs but Apple has finally made some compelling pricing with it's Intel based solutions. I'd say the non-technical who want the PS3 as a Linux machine are going to be confused why their computer doesn't come with keyboard or mouse. Also the non-technical are going to see the PS3 as gaming and movies not a desktop because again they don't have the technical knowledge to understand how these have merged.

Now to be clear I'm not misunderstood I think the Linux PS3 makes a decent enough system. But, what I'm saying is the person that wants this sort of thing is very unlikely to be non-technical in nature.

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 12:20:15
#1226 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
In the meantime, when not playing WoW, I do enjoy my Wii very much. Infact, 5 people have bought Wii's after playing it at my house.

Letting some Sony fans play with the 360 they have since switched to the Microsoft solution. They have been back to try the PS3 and as far as gaming goes they've all agreed the 360 pwns the PS3 in the current marketplace. 1 is waiting to see what this Christmas brings.

MikeB 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 12:32:26
#1227 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Although I partly agree with you, I can think of an easy to install and use AmigaOS4.x for the PS3 being of interest to some non-technical minded consumers. And if this would take off and the Amiga community is somewhat revived because of this, who knowns where this may eventually bring us?

Last edited by MikeB on 01-Jun-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 12:51:30
#1228 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

Letting some Sony fans play with the 360 they have since switched to the Microsoft solution. They have been back to try the PS3 and as far as gaming goes they've all agreed the 360 pwns the PS3 in the current marketplace. 1 is waiting to see what this Christmas brings.

The 360 has the software library and more of an installed base ... with that superior installed base, it means publishers will - at worst - make cross-platform titles. The 360 will have more exclusives than the PS3. Unless something drastically happens with the current market share, that's how it will be.

As far as technical merits go... I think when optimized for either system games will generally look the same. That said, developers just have an easier time getting results out of the 360.

From a controller perspective - how could Sony listen to criticism on the boomerang controller (which got reviewed well when put to use but internet fanboys everywhere cried just looking at it) but then ignore the price factor. The Playstation brand has always been just a bunch of components thrown together as it shows. Sony designed the PS3 like a consumer electronics device when is should have been a games console first.

Either way, those machines are geared for a specific crowd and don't bring in new gamers, they just keep swapping each other's customers. Girls love my Wii. Enough said.

Breaking News
MSG4 not so exclusive anymore! Coming to 360 later with extra content (ofcourse) ... and some type of MSG game in development for the Wii...
http://nintendo-revolution.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 01:07 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 14:15:03
#1229 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
From a controller perspective
360 wins no question.

Quote:
Girls love my Wii.
I heard more boys love your Wii.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 16:54:00
#1230 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
From a controller perspective
360 wins no question.

I guess I didn't elaborate on that. The 360 controller is the best at what it is. The PS3 controller could have been great but instead, they overspent on the cpu, gpu and blu-ray drive and saved a dollar on the controller they ended up with - escentially the same unergonomic one that they've had for 11 years...
The Wii controller is superior to all. Period.

Quote:
I heard more boys love your Wii.

Luckily I know how to take a joke.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=17446
Quote:

According to industry reports, Nintendo enjoyed its biggest sales period of 2007 for the Wii last week. Revenues for the console in the week ending May 29th were HIGHER than any other period of the year so far including the Easter holiday (which is usually the highest). This new sales information is perceived to be a reflection of the new found availability of the console.

...that and Super Mario Strikers Charged was released this past week....

from www.gamesarefun.com:
Quote:
Japanese hardware sales for May 21 - May 27:

System - Weekly sales (Compared to last week) - 2007 sales - Lifetime sales

1. DSL - 127,461 (+16,248) - 3,289,327 - 10,739,211
2. Wii - 58,644 (+6,451) - 1,615,553 - 2,535,196
3. PSP - 26,097 (-1,408) - 927,430 - 5,459,559
4. PS2 - 11,311 (+430) - 357,210 - 20,512,069
5. PS3 - 9,627 (+968) - 444,181 - 901,739
6. 360 - 2,044 (+18) - 99,725 - 364,427
7. GBM - 407 (-21) - 19,643 - 579,523
8. GBASP - 288 (-42) - 17,309 - 5,936,259
9. NGC - 256 (-20) - 7,610 - 4,177,078
10. GBA - 17 (-16) - 657 - 8,823,863

Total sales: 236,152 (up 22,582 from last week)
Last week's sales: 213,570

For reference: Last week's sales

Suprising hardware sales considering the software sales posted earlier...

Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2007 at 05:03 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Jun-2007 22:16:02
#1231 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Good Wii news... Sorry I couldn't resist the bad joke.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Jun-2007 18:08:34
#1232 ]
Elite Member

I've bought Ape Escape 2 for just 20 Euro, the game is a lot like the first Ape Escape with a little better graphics and new levels, runs great. My girlfriend likes Ape Escape 2 and Jak 3, but God of War isn't her type of game. What a nice timing to get into playstation gaming!

I think the upcoming new Ratchet and Clank and Singstar games for the PS3 are exactly the sort of games which will appeal to my girlfriend.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Jun-2007 12:51:00
#1233 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

MikeB wrote:

Quote:
Yes, but you can have good gameplay together with next gen graphics and game complexity as well.

I think this Rachet and Clack Future gameplay footage illustrates well what I was talking about here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=66126 (stops at 2/3 of the footage, but the Boss battle can be viewed at the following link below)
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=66064

I think this is the sort of game which will appeal to many Nintendo fans, but would you actually prefer a severely dumbed down version with far less impressive graphics and game complexity on a PS2 or Wii? I surely wouldn't!

Some details about the game, some weapons allow you to control Tornado's or flying robots using the sixaxis motion control while also being able to control Rachet using the analog stick simulatenously. Maybe you have seen the footage loads of spaceships flying around in a very complex and beautiful city, this is actually done in-game, rendered realtime! EGM editors who stated the screenshots and trailer look amazing, stated the actual game is even more amazing!

Last edited by MikeB on 03-Jun-2007 at 12:51 PM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 10:30:07
#1234 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Ratched and Clank was super-cool on PS2. Looked good even then too, so this is certainly a PS3 exclusive I'm watching with interest.

Lou 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 12:40:57
#1235 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:

Yes, but you can have good gameplay together with next gen graphics and game complexity as well.

Yes you can, however sometimes good gameplay takes time to tweak and when so much of your $$$ has gone to high production values, there isn't enough $$$ left to tweak the gameplay further when a publisher wants a product on the shelf. There are sides to development that need to be understood.

Heck, game-testing is becoming an obselete job because on the 360 and PS3 games are released, then the bugs are found and then patched. On the Wii, this is not currently possible so any gameplay flaws will really affect your long term sales.

BrianK 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 14:01:54
#1236 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Heck, game-testing is becoming an obselete job because on the 360 and PS3 games are released, then the bugs are found and then patched.

Yes and no. I'm confident that GeOW and Resistance have far far more hours of testing then Donkey Kong. However, as we know with code growth comes the growth in bugs and issues. I do agree that smaller issues which can be patched might be allowed out in order to make the ship date. However, game testing is far from becoming obselete.

BrianK 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 15:29:26
#1237 ]
Elite Member

Interesting USA June games per console.

Wii -
Sims2 : pets
Resident Evil 4
Pokemon Battle Revolutions

360 -
Tenchu Z
DiRT
The Darkness
Overloard

PS3 -
Ninja Gaiden
Rainbow 6 Vegas
-- Both great games on the Xboxen sure the PS3 owners will like the warmed over games.

BrianK 
Posted on 4-Jun-2007 16:33:19
#1238 ]
Elite Member

Sony POO

Discontented, Spanish-speaking PlayStation fans at game site Gamerah shipped Sony a box filled with 45 plastic turds, each with an attached complaint.

'..We hope you do not take this wrong. Having unhappy customers is still much better than having no customers at all. We just feel like broken-hearted, resentful lovers. Most of us have purchased all your consoles and we felt rather let down when the PS3 was finally launched in Europe...'

jiyong 
Posted on 5-Jun-2007 4:09:51
#1239 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@jiyong

Quote:
as I would spell out everything for little children...

Please stick to the discussion points. It seems your posts are near consistently filled with ad hominem attacks. If you actually helped us understand when we questioned instead of getting your hackles up a discussion would go so much further.

Quote:
Was my post really that confusing? Or are you just too busy to find potential errors in my posts, that you will do everything to make it look like I am twisting things?

Yes your post was confusing and you nicely cleared it up in the quote I put above. Thanks for that. Also, it seems that you're somehow paranoid that I've this vendetta against you. I don't so no need to be defensive.[/quote]

Please stick to the discussion points? I'm delusional about your "vendetta" against me?
Oh, all of a sudden you are Mr. Innocent here...

At least I'm honest enough to tell you I don't like the way you behave and tell you I'm putting you in another league.

Let's see, who was it again that said:
Quote:
I'll try to be better then give someone a taste of their own poor arguement method.

So instead of sticking to the discussion points, you decide to antagonize me.
And by the way, you failed, as you admitted and I would say you failed horribly.

And really nice you don't even stick to your own advice of sticking to the discussion points.

And remember how I said one of your lines is confusing?
And guess what you did?
You pick out a line of mine and start claiming it is confusing at best.

I'll recreate it for you.

You: Quote:
Microsoft never took any direct action to prevent F@H from working so don't seem to care if F@H works on their systems and other systems too.

Me: Quote:
So now you admit they didn't buy into it?

This sentence construct is confusing at best. I have not said Microsoft bought into it so there is no admissions and no now?

Me: Quote:
What is so unclear about that? When you write they don't seem to care, for me that is equal to that they didn't buy into it.

And have you never heard when someone made a remark, the other would say: So now you admit...
Even when the words after the ... would not be the same words as in the original remark?

Now is this because I'm not a native English speaker, or is this just your childish behaviour?

Yes that arguement type is a common tactic of Bill O'Reillies on TV and the shock jocks on the radio..read bottom feeders out for entertainment. It's an attempt to strong arm a discussion by trying to make the other person appear to have switched to your site in it's entiretly by getting them to agree to a subpoint.

So my sentence wasn't confusing, as you claimed, you only did that to counter my claim one of your lines was confusing. And notice how you avoid the real meat of the discussion. Just by deflecting the attention to the type of argument, you fail to address how it is possible you have bought into something when you don't care if it is running on your OS.

And don't forget, this whole discussion sparked when I said M$ hadn't bought into it and ask the question if they didn't want to support because it runs on multiple platforms. So by addressing my post, you started defending M$ had bought into it.

Again Brian, why don't you follow your own advice and stick to the discussion points?

And please, don't act as if you are Mr. Innocent here. You have lost all your credit with me.
Oh, and that's not a threat, just my disappointment.

jiyong 
Posted on 5-Jun-2007 4:29:53
#1240 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
Sony POO

Discontented, Spanish-speaking PlayStation fans at game site Gamerah shipped Sony a box filled with 45 plastic turds, each with an attached complaint.

'..We hope you do not take this wrong. Having unhappy customers is still much better than having no customers at all. We just feel like broken-hearted, resentful lovers. Most of us have purchased all your consoles and we felt rather let down when the PS3 was finally launched in Europe...'

Oh yeah, 45 "real" complaints.

Looks like some Sega fanboys were involved.
Revenge for Sega, Dreamcast and Shenmue 3?

What's the point about Linux? Or is linuxeros a "Spanish joke"?

For making consoles black?

Barbara Streisand?

There were some good points in there, but if you put such nonsense in there too, you just killed the good points.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle