Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  25 mins ago
 t0lkien:  48 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 tygre:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
T_Bone 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 17:14:50
#141 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@T_Bone

Sounds like the PS3 might be better suited to running MorphOS. At least there would be fewer licensing issues involved.

I think MorphOS is still in the "Eyetech" phase. (Being used to sell their own hardware) ((ducks blue tomatoes))

There might be more issues with MorphOS on PS3, *Genesi would probably hate the idea of having MOS available on hardware they make no money on and that smokes their own hardware offering, although it would make sense for the MOS devs.

*guessing/talking out my butt/don't know much about licensing WRT Genesi/MorphOS

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 17:31:38
#142 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I think this says something about these larger more complex games. It's a matter of economics that porting to 2 consoles 360 & PS3 is likely going to happen more frequently to better ensure the return of profits to a company.

Makes sense to me. Quotes from me, prior to the GDC interview:

MikeB earlier wrote:

"Which PS3 games were cancelled to become XBox 360 exclusives? Games developers making the decision to go multi-platform isn't quite the same thing and makes much sense if your game doesn't do anything another platform would not be able to deal with as well."

"The development costs of top projects from multi-platform game designers have increased dramatically, so without special exclusivity deals with either Microsoft or Sony they will port games to as many platforms as possible."

Phil Harrison at GDC:

Quote:
Harrison made it plain that the PS3 was not currently suitable to be an exclusive home to a premiere installment like GTA IV. "I don't think PS3 has the install base to support Rockstar's investment in GTA IV on its own," Harrison told the assembled blogging crew.

Quote:
Rockstar needs a giant audience to see a return on what is likely a massive investment, and the current installed PS3 userbase simply isn't big enough. If they want to sell plenty of copies, it needs to be available on the 360 as well, but this clearly means things could change in the future.

The 360 has been out for well over a year, after all. Obviously, when there are more PS3s out there, it'll be that much easier to snag some high-profile third-party exclusives. We think this makes perfect sense, and all the negative talk about a lack of exclusives early on is easily explained by this situation.

BTW, I will be at Cebit on the 16th of March, if you are attending you may want to check out c’t's PS3 Linux demonstrations and Sony's "Digital living" PS3 presentations.

Link 1 (German)
Link 2 (German)

Last edited by MikeB on 12-Mar-2007 at 05:36 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 19:45:52
#143 ]
Elite Member

More on LittleBigPlanet:

GDC 07 Environmental Creation Demonstration for LittleBigPlanet
Description: Create levels and puzzles with your friends where the only limit is your imagination.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17602&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17602&type=mov

GDC 07 On Stage Demonstration for LittleBigPlanet
Description: Use teamwork to jump, swing, and skate your way through beautiful, fully interactive worlds. Plus you can take snapshots of all the good times!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17635&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17635&type=mov

More on PS3 Home:

Eventually users should be able to use PSPs and mobile phones together with PS3 Home. With regard to Home's original origin:

"Pro-G: You made some pretty big announcements during your GDC keynote speech, with PS3 Home being the biggest of them all. Is this massive virtual community something that's been in the pipeline for a while?

Harrison: Yes, it's been in development for quite a long time. It actually started life on the PS2; it was a 3D lobby for a single multiplayer game and then we thought actually that it might be worth extending out to support more than one game on the PS2. And then we started to come up against some technical limitations of the platform. It couldn't quite do all of the things that we wanted it to do and the user created content was really the key factor that we wanted to include. Obviously, PS3 allows us to do that with a hard drive in every machine and cell processing, so the PS3 was the right platform to do it on. We've been working on it for two and a half years now."

GDC 07 PS3 Home - Hall of Fame Demonstration HD for PlayStation 3
Description: Show off those trophies and other such regalia in Sony's new PS3 Home.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17706&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17706&type=mov

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 21:34:12
#144 ]

@MikeB

Our best hope to run anything Amiga on a PS3 would be to run a Linux PPC hosted version of AROS to run on top of YDL. If some programmers can do that and start to get AREX working along with all the drivers and PS3 peripherals among other compatibility issues that can lay the groundwork needed to port OS4 or MOS.

For crying out loud IBM even has PDFs showing exactly how you can program drivers among other sofware executions for the Cell CPU.

Link to PDF

Link to programming on cell

I wonder if there is a way someone can make AROS boot up Sony's Hypervisor OS on top of YDL, considering it is a Unix/Java based and takes up 31mbs? Currently, YDL is setup to boot over the Hypervisor which is how online compatibility and some other peripherals work out of the box.

Last edited by _Steve_ on 14-Mar-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Last edited by _Steve_ on 14-Mar-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 12-Mar-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 12-Mar-2007 at 09:36 PM.

minator 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 22:25:29
#145 ]
Cult Member

@ReverseGTR

Quote:

I wonder if there is a way someone can make AROS boot up Sony's Hypervisor OS on top of YDL, considering it is a Unix/Java based and takes up 31mbs? Currently, YDL is setup to boot over the Hypervisor which is how online compatibility and some other peripherals work out of the box.

I don't know if AROS will run yet but assuming it can getting it to boot automatically shouldn't be too difficult.

serk118 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 22:36:56
#146 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:
really wish all the talk about PS3s and Xbox was on another site

thats right...

&

if any of you want to chat about other computers otherthan Amiga then i`m sure there is a place or site/forum for it.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

MikeB 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 22:53:13
#147 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

Which forum do you recommend, which serves those who are interested in AmigaOS4 for the PS3? I bet PS3 dedicated forum users may point towards websites like this one, maybe we to create yet a new Amiga community website where PS3 (or possibly Samantha, etc) discussions aren't dragged off topic?

Last edited by MikeB on 12-Mar-2007 at 10:54 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 23:04:57
#148 ]
Elite Member

@ReverseGTR

Quote:
Our best hope to run anything Amiga on a PS3 would be

E-UAE already runs (at this point still more useful than AROS IMO).

@ MOS fan

MorphOS seems to be out of the question as well as it seems entirely tied to Genesi/ bPlan products at this point. The lead developer already shouted a big "No!", note that he is employed by bPlan.

Severin 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 23:13:16
#149 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

It's bad enough you clog up this forum with your advertising and wishful thinking without splitting the community up even more.

Give the PS3 fantasy a rest...

Removed personal attack. Also note that there are several people posting in the PS3 threads so at least a few seem interested in the topic.

- Seer

Last edited by Seer on 13-Mar-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Last edited by Seer on 13-Mar-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Fransexy 
Posted on 12-Mar-2007 23:24:46
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Removed reply to personal attack
- Seer

Last edited by Seer on 13-Mar-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Last edited by Seer on 13-Mar-2007 at 11:57 AM.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 13-Mar-2007 1:03:35
#151 ]
Cult Member

You know I remember the interest in the first "transputer" boards. The discussions were much along the same lines as what is happening with the PS3..

I guess I am still not convinced, I still think the PS3 might become the Transputer of this decade..

Last edited by DonnieA2 on 13-Mar-2007 at 01:04 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 13-Mar-2007 15:49:08
#152 ]
Elite Member

So to summarize the poll results:

38% of voters will own a PS3 at some point regardless of AmigaOS4.
Potentially this would grow by an additional 22% if OS4 is available, so market pentration could be up to 60%. (Not that bad of a figure, although I was hoping for up to 80%)

Now how to figure out how many "fresh" users we would gain...

hatschi 
Posted on 13-Mar-2007 16:55:49
#153 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
So to summarize the poll results:

38% of voters will own a PS3 at some point regardless of AmigaOS4.

Interesting, but not entirely surprising conclusion that you draw from the poll question and results.

Tomas 
Posted on 13-Mar-2007 16:59:52
#154 ]
Elite Member

@Mike

Quote:
Which forum do you recommend, which serves those who are interested in AmigaOS4 for the PS3? I bet PS3 dedicated forum users may point towards websites like this one, maybe we to create yet a new Amiga community website where PS3 (or possibly Samantha, etc) discussions aren't dragged off topic?

Amigans.net...

jorkany 
Posted on 13-Mar-2007 17:05:26
#155 ]
Cult Member

@Tomas
Quote:
Amigans.net...

Turned out they weren't interested either.

MikeB 
Posted on 14-Mar-2007 10:15:39
#156 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@MikeB

News from GDC say that UT3 will indeed support mouse and keyboard as well as controller on PS3. No word on the 360 version yet. I just thought you'd like to know if you didn't find confirmation already.

Also, regarding earlier discussions, in an earlier thread MikeB wrote:

Quote:
I think it's very likely 'God of War 3' for the PS3 will be running in 1080p.

Now comfirmed:

"Barlog did confirm that God of War 3 will run at the highest possible HD resolution, 1080p, and the game will support SIXAXIS tilt and vibration functions."

I guess also good news for those who moaned about the lack of vibration...

here

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-Mar-2007 10:38:03
# ]

@MikeB

Yes. Once PS3 gets rumble and Home out there it's a far more relevant machine in the next-gen war. If Home is implemented properly there are only minor differences left - small enough for me to say that it all comes down to games / value for money.

Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 14-Mar-2007 11:47:29
#158 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:
I think this says something about these larger more complex games. It's a matter of economics that porting to 2 consoles 360 & PS3 is likely going to happen more frequently to better ensure the return of profits to a company.

Makes sense to me. Quotes from me, prior to the GDC interview:

MikeB earlier wrote:

"Which PS3 games were cancelled to become XBox 360 exclusives? Games developers making the decision to go multi-platform isn't quite the same thing and makes much sense if your game doesn't do anything another platform would not be able to deal with as well."

"The development costs of top projects from multi-platform game designers have increased dramatically, so without special exclusivity deals with either Microsoft or Sony they will port games to as many platforms as possible."

Phil Harrison at GDC:

Quote:
Harrison made it plain that the PS3 was not currently suitable to be an exclusive home to a premiere installment like GTA IV. "I don't think PS3 has the install base to support Rockstar's investment in GTA IV on its own," Harrison told the assembled blogging crew.

Quote:
Rockstar needs a giant audience to see a return on what is likely a massive investment, and the current installed PS3 userbase simply isn't big enough. If they want to sell plenty of copies, it needs to be available on the 360 as well, but this clearly means things could change in the future.

The 360 has been out for well over a year, after all. Obviously, when there are more PS3s out there, it'll be that much easier to snag some high-profile third-party exclusives. We think this makes perfect sense, and all the negative talk about a lack of exclusives early on is easily explained by this situation.

BTW, I will be at Cebit on the 16th of March, if you are attending you may want to check out c’t's PS3 Linux demonstrations and Sony's "Digital living" PS3 presentations.

Link 1 (German)
Link 2 (German)

Except that games created from XNA GSE/GSPro are not quite multiplatform.

Last edited by Hammer on 14-Mar-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 14-Mar-2007 12:10:51
#159 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
More on LittleBigPlanet:

GDC 07 Environmental Creation Demonstration for LittleBigPlanet
Description: Create levels and puzzles with your friends where the only limit is your imagination.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17602&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17602&type=mov

GDC 07 On Stage Demonstration for LittleBigPlanet
Description: Use teamwork to jump, swing, and skate your way through beautiful, fully interactive worlds. Plus you can take snapshots of all the good times!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17635&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17635&type=mov

More on PS3 Home:

Eventually users should be able to use PSPs and mobile phones together with PS3 Home. With regard to Home's original origin:

"Pro-G: You made some pretty big announcements during your GDC keynote speech, with PS3 Home being the biggest of them all. Is this massive virtual community something that's been in the pipeline for a while?

Harrison: Yes, it's been in development for quite a long time. It actually started life on the PS2; it was a 3D lobby for a single multiplayer game and then we thought actually that it might be worth extending out to support more than one game on the PS2. And then we started to come up against some technical limitations of the platform. It couldn't quite do all of the things that we wanted it to do and the user created content was really the key factor that we wanted to include. Obviously, PS3 allows us to do that with a hard drive in every machine and cell processing, so the PS3 was the right platform to do it on. We've been working on it for two and a half years now."

GDC 07 PS3 Home - Hall of Fame Demonstration HD for PlayStation 3
Description: Show off those trophies and other such regalia in Sony's new PS3 Home.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17706&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17706&type=mov

It’s either Sony’s PS3 Home (mainly data content sharing) vs Microsoft’s XNA GSE (mainy games/content sharing) approach.

Both corporations will play on their respective strengths.

MikeB 
Posted on 14-Mar-2007 12:53:12
#160 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Yes. Once PS3 gets rumble and Home out there it's a far more relevant machine in the next-gen war. If Home is implemented properly there are only minor differences left - small enough for me to say that it all comes down to games / value for money.

Regarding rumble I am glad I still have a choice, as I don't like this feature so much for many of the games I have played so far. I would prefer that Sony would add a switch or something to easily turn it off. For gunning I like rumble though, but for within many games I think the feature is over-used or implemented improperly, for instance don't need my hands vibrating when I die.

I think with regard to multi-platform games you are right, we will see minor differences. With regard to PS3 exclusives I think we will start to see some major differences for the long run, IMO the PS3 clearly has the technological edge, but I won't get into this again here.

And I agree, it's mainly the games which will get the platform rolling. With regard to this IMO Sony and their partners are extremely strong with many dozens of exclusives currently under development. For example an incomplete list can be found here (incomplete as for example God of War 3 and a few aren't listed).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120957

Last edited by MikeB on 14-Mar-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 14-Mar-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle