Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 59 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  2 mins ago
 ROMwack:  7 mins ago
 kolla:  18 mins ago
 kamelito:  25 mins ago
 matthey:  32 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:31:09
#141 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
With this I agree and for younger gamers I think the Nintendo Wii is more suitable
Younger like early grade school perhaps. The Junior High and High School kids want the 360 or PS3, at least the ones I know. Another group you discount with the Wii is the Elderly and Handicapped. If someone has arthritis in their hands or your reaction speeds are slowed due to age they aren't going to be able to play Resistance successfully. Put the Wiimote in the hand and swing the arm and you're bowling, heck you can do that even if you can't grip a bowling ball in real life. This is likely why the are reports of how the Wii is a popular option on cruise liners.

Quote:
John Rodman, Xbox group product manager takes time out to kick off another console
Overall Microsoft probably has 20 compliments for the Wii compared for every line someone says something a bad about it. Even the line you quote isn't bad it's simply how the team sees their market.

Quote:
I don't think the PS3 without a Nintendo Wii would have performed much better in Japan at this point
The reason we're seeing the Wii take over PS2 is because the PS2 is old hat and Japanense like new fangled Japanense electronics. My feeling is opposite of your feeling had the Wii not existed the PS3 would have done better in Japan.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:33:59
#142 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
think it is good we discuss these openly, that is an idiotic comment from Microsoft. Link?

IGN: Microsoft Says Wii is for Babies
Gizmondo: Ga Ga Goo Goo: Microsoft calls Wii Fans Babies

And people were upset about Sony calling the Nintendo Wii a novelty (and IMO it is due to the Wii--mote)...

It's not the first time we got rather stupid comments from Microsoft execs, for instance Bill Gates stating Viva Pinata was made for little girls at a time Trezzer tried to interest me in the game, or we wouldn't see 1080p games yet the PS3 overall improved (in terms of graphics, gameplay and speed) launch games like Ridge Racer 7 and Full Auto 2 actually were and the yet to be released more sophiticated games like Lair and Ninja Gaiden Sigma will be so too.

IMO all good examples of shooting themselves in the foot...

Last edited by MikeB on 03-Apr-2007 at 03:36 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:35:13
#143 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Even you dissed a game like Resistance as being inferior or technically unimpressive due to its graphics (yet you haved any experience with the game), but these kind of graphics can never be done on a Wii.

I think one thing the Wii could do is playback the full motion pre-rendered video that various developers foist on us as a 'game'. Final Fantasy is a good example ending of boss fights provide a video you get to watch. Certainly if something is pre-rendered and the console is playing it back the Wii will look as good as either of the other 2 in those cases. In fact how many Final Fantasy games were sold with TV commericals mainly showing FMV? Most all of them.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:38:30
#144 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Bill Gates stating Viva Pinata was made for little girls at a time Trezzer tried to interest me in the game,

Yeah so? I highly doubt there's anything wrong with making a game for an intended audience. This doesn't mean you can't have fun playing it. Sure it's not the blood and guts of Resistance so you can feel all manly. But, there are creatures eating each other and incest so perhaps some themes will be manly enough for you.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:45:22
#145 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Yeah so? I highly doubt there's anything wrong with making a game for an intended audience.

The way Bill Gates said this sounded degrading towards more mature fans of this game. Believe me quite a few fans were upset by the statement, IMO it would have been much better to have stated the game is suitable for all ages, including his little daughter.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:50:38
#146 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I think one thing the Wii could do is playback the full motion pre-rendered video that various developers foist on us as a 'game'. Final Fantasy is a good example ending of boss fights provide a video you get to watch.

Yes, the Wii could do pre-rendered FMV at DVD quality (not 1080p Blu-Ray quality), but Final Fantasy for the PS3 will offer very complex in-game environments as well which the Wii cannot handle.

Anonymous 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 15:53:04
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
for instance Bill Gates stating Viva Pinata was made for little girls

...a quote that was taken out of context in typical Kotaku style, yes. He was talking about having something for everyone and that he knew little girls, for instance, would like Viva Piñata (because it's colourful and family friendly as well as a great game) much like Animal Crossing on the GameCube/DS.

And of course I wouldn't say that Resistance could be done at the same technical level on the Wii. I don't think it could. But at the same time I don't think Resistance is particularly impressive technically from a visual point of view (we have lots of screenshots to judge it by after all *cough*) compared to Lost Planet or Gears of War (staying somewhat within the same genre). It looks better than e.g. Quake 4 which is another recent title, so it's not as if it's completely horrible or anything. It's just not a "looker". Then again the reasons for that were explained amongst the PR flurry and FUD from the developers themselves. Well, there's that and there's art direction of course. Art direction is also what will eventually make people care less about the looks of Wii games. Take a look at any first party Nintendo title or things like Viewtiful Joe on GameCube or Okami on PS2. You can make great looking games with very little horse power, as long as you don't go for photorealism. And as for physics... well, sure. More power is always better for physics. At some point you just have enough, though, and time will tell if this is the case with the Wii. I have a feeling it's fairly well balanced.

Ratchet and Clank looks like something fans of the series will enjoy. I was never one of them, though . Nice cityscape. (you need to work on your definition of HD though - the trailer is 480p)

Last edited by Trezzer on 03-Apr-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 16:50:33
#148 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I think one thing the Wii could do is playback the full motion pre-rendered video that various developers foist on us as a 'game'. Final Fantasy is a good example ending of boss fights provide a video you get to watch. Certainly if something is pre-rendered and the console is playing it back the Wii will look as good as either of the other 2 in those cases. In fact how many Final Fantasy games were sold with TV commericals mainly showing FMV? Most all of them.

Well, the Wii hardware is powerful enough to handle quite impressive in-game sequences. Hell, the *Gamecube* hardware did with Resident Evil 4. The PS2 version of RE4 (as well as the PC version, as it's a port from the PS2... idiots...) has the same sequences as low-res and badly compressed FMV.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 17:05:51
#149 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
a quote that was taken out of context in typical Kotaku style, yes

See for yourself:
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=39349

Quote:
the trailer is 480p

The video is 720p actually.

Lou 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 17:15:30
#150 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

If you've ever played a Final Fantasy, you would know that the environments are not that fancy, escpecially during fights. Any Final Fantasy game would play on the Wii just as good as a PC, 360 or PS3.

The same goes for any self-respecting RPG.

Anonymous 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 17:16:24
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
See for yourself:

I have. Note how it's snipped from a larger context - more specifically the beginning is missing.

Quote:
The video is 720p actually.

It is 29,95 FPS / 852*480 / 3243,32 kbit/s.

Perhaps you should just stick with Wii. It seems 480p will be more than enough for you

Report this post  
jtsiren 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:09:58
#152 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
IGN: Microsoft Says Wii is for Babies
Gizmondo: Ga Ga Goo Goo: Microsoft calls Wii Fans Babies

And people were upset about Sony calling the Nintendo Wii a novelty (and IMO it is due to the Wii--mote)...

I think we should be (relatively) upset every time anyone says stupid things. Like that one Microsoft person you like to quote said about 1080p. Stupid, stupid. Sony has lots of those under their belt too, rumble so last gen?

Last edited by jtsiren on 03-Apr-2007 at 06:13 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:21:09
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Perhaps you should just stick with Wii. It seems 480p will be more than enough for you

Grow up or play some Viva Pinata instead, Gametrailers states "HD trailer". (Windows Media Video 9 - 3,26 Mbps - resolution 1280 x 720) Quit it with the cheapshots please, two can play that game, but I rather actually discuss the topic at hand instead.

Anonymous 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:22:47
# ]

Just to follow up on the PS3 UK launch:

Sales are down by 82% in the second week.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, where the initial launch numbers don't mean so much if the excitement isn't sustained - which is why it would have been a good sign if PS3s had been almost sold out.

And yeah, I know good supplies = good for customers, but either way the launch went Sony would have come out saying either demand was excellent or their logistics were really good. It was a win/win situation unless they'd sold next to nothing.

It looks like they need to get some more big titles out there to gain traction.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:25:04
#155 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
Sony has lots of those under their belt too, rumble so last gen?

Who, what, where?

The only thing I heard from them is that they thought motion sensing is more important, playing fl0w I quite agree. Rumble would probably degrade the fl0w experience for me and the game wouldn't quite be as much fun without motion sensing.

Anonymous 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:27:32
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Who, what, where?

Here

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:30:13
#157 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

LOL, doom and gloom, let me tell you a secret game sales usually drop off after the first week of sales (or first day even). What did you expect? 173K PS3 sales every 2 days like during launch weekend?

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:32:39
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Phil Harrison:

"I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that. Having said that, there will be specific game function controllers, potentially like steering wheels that do include vibration or feedback function -- not from us but from third parties."

Quite right I might add, Dual shock controllers have been around for quite some time.

Anonymous 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:43:57
# ]

While we're at Phil Harrison:

Quote:
“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance, ... Those formats don't appear in our planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth.”

Yes, certainly the PSP has been pwning the DS. Oh wait...

Quote:
“Our job is to grow the market. Our job is to lead, and our job is to innovate.”

I guess it's time they followed up on that then ;)

Another solid quote:

Quote:
We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC.

We'll see about that...

Oh and:

Quote:
[The] PlayStation 3 launch has been, objectively by any measure, more successful than PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2 or other competing system out previously.

Note that this was before the European launch too.

By any measure? Really?

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 3-Apr-2007 18:44:51
#160 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

To put things into perspective Resistance and Motorstorm continue to take the number 2 and 3 spot in the UK charts (down from 1 and 2). The games are only topped by the release of the highly anticipated PC game C&C 3. I am sure there were many pre-orders for that game as well, like there were for Resistance and Motorstorm.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle