Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 23 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  5 mins ago
 Hypex:  45 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 tygre:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 minator:  5 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
wegster 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 19:09:13
#41 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@wegster

Quote:
or if it will be an ongoing public 'alpha' that peaks quickly

It's currently in private beta and in April becomes a public beta amongst at least developers. BTW, have you finished Resistance and played the game online yet?

If you are interested in racers Motorstorm is out and includes visuals which shows off what possible with the PS3 already. IMO a very impressive launch title, mostly fun online with a headset though.

Nope, I finished MUA instead, and have been playing FEAR online now and then on the PC, instead. I'll get back to Resistance at some point.

Motorstorm- the demo I played wasn't compelling to me. No idea if they have made any changes...gfx were ok, but the controls were lacking- no way to wheelie a bike, for example, physics weren't too real. I'll see if an updated demo is available.

'public alpha' is a term I also use to describe commercial, _released_ software in some cases, sometimes, including our own. It has little to do with what the producing company claims it is, more based on what works, what doesn't, quality, what should have been done but was dropped due to time, etc. I remain unsure Sony can do a job equal to Second Life or others, so will have to see. It's nice that it will be free, but I expect to be nickel and dimed to death over 'add-ons' etc. No real interest in those types of games regardless- it looks interesting from a technical perspective, but enough going on in real life to make me shy away from anything that wants to take a good chunk of time. (I don't play MMORPGs, either..)

Profile     Report this post  
wegster 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 19:10:57
#42 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@wegster

If you are interested here you can register to take part in the closed beta:

http://www.homebetatrial.com/

Thanks, maybe someone else will be. I won't commit myself to beta-testing something I know in advance I won't have enough time to do it properly.

I'm interested in it technically (used to write MUDs long ago, the predecessor to MMORPGs today), and to see what mistakes or good things they may achieve with it, but not as something to do regularly.

Last edited by wegster on 08-Mar-2007 at 07:23 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 20:04:36
#43 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
Motorstorm- the demo I played wasn't compelling to me. No idea if they have made any changes...gfx were ok, but the controls were lacking- no way to wheelie a bike, for example, physics weren't too real. I'll see if an updated demo is available.

Graphically it's much better than the old demo! There are only 8 tracks though, albeit they are big and well designed. More tracks and other additional content has been announced for the PSN.

Screenshots:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/021/928393_20070122_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/021/928393_20070122_screen003.jpg

Some footage:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Media?id=15928

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 09:01 PM.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 20:34:09
#44 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Things that detract me from being a PS3/Amiga enthusiast..

1) GPU technology closed off from any 3rd party OS that can boot up (what's an Amiga really without cool graphics, it's just another OS even though it works smart)

2) no upgradability of CPUs or anything the hardware community likes to do with tweaks (DMCA violations can we say)

3) Price point versus upgradability

4) It's Sony (can we say ROOTKIT)

Where even if they got OS/4 going on it will there be a market??

can't help but write that out just like OS/2

I like the PS3 as a PS3 I just don't think it makes a good Amiga..

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 20:35:08
#45 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
Will the Wii be more succesfull than the ps3 in all markets?

I think the Nintendo Wii and PS3 appeals to different types of gamers, developers and general electronic consumers with very different price point and levels of functionality and graphics performance. Like I said before I would love to see a Wii style remote for the PS3, Wii style gameplay combined with PS3 style graphics would be a great addition!

Here's a rather extreme perspective on the Nintendo Wii from a spore developer:

Quote:
"The Wii is a piece of s***!" Hecker began his talk, which was called "Fear of a Wii Planet." He blasted a few bars of Public Enemy to set the tone. Hecker said the Wii is nothing more than two GameCubes stuck together with duct tape, and that the console isn't powerful enough to provide the next-gen experience he has been waiting for.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/771/771051p1.html

Quote:
Although he stated the system is "severely underpowered," Hecker noted that he wasn't simply referring to the Wii's graphical capabilities. He wants to spend a console's CPU making games more intelligent, and he has found the Wii doesn't have the power to process things like complicated AI.

With this I agree though, there's just so much more possible in terms of graphics, physics and AI on the PS3 and also XBox 360. For instance I don't think a game like Heavenly Sword would be very impressive on a Wii.

Some Heavenly Sword footage and comments showing off actor motion capture:
Here

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 20:35:54
#46 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Hannibal_Smith

Personally I like the idea of watching user content and movies together in for example a virtual living room, being able to share your thoughts (for instance make your "Sim" laugh, etc). The cinema already seems like a development towards my personal vision of what I would like see in the future:

Er, I'll stick with real life thanks. I'll take real laughter over LOLing any day.

Quote:

On 10 January MikeB wrote:

Quote:
But imagine what could someday become possible with VR support. Imagine watching a Blu-Ray movie through a VR headset, with you appearing to be seated in a cinema watching the movie played on a large screen in the virtual distance. Imagine yourself driving Gran Turismo 6 with a steering wheel, looking from the car's interior, being able to quickly move your head to see who's driving next to you. If only I could be Sony's CTO.

Sounds like a recipe for eye-strain and motion sickness.

number6 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 20:43:06
#47 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Eh?
Quote:
@number6:

Quote:
Will the Wii be more succesfull than the ps3 in all markets?

Where did I EVER ask about the Wii or the PS3?

Oh, and could you refrain from putting 2.6 MEG plus inline images in posts.
It's impossible on dialup. Thanks.

minator 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 20:52:15
#48 ]
Cult Member

Just to spoil things I'll be on-topic.

In answer to the question I've got one on order and hope to pick in up on launch day.
My interest is primarily technical - i.e. I want to program it.

That said I'm still eyeing up Motorstorm and I'll certainly be getting a few BluRays.

BTW I'm in the process of setting up a website for PS3 homebrew if anyone's interested..

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 21:00:13
#49 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

I understand you concerns regarding performance, but with Linux already performing like this on the PS3...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U4Wul8MLM6E
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zenYJMfax1Y

I am looking forward to see what at least Linux developers will eventually be able to push out of the Cell's SPEs!

@ minator

Quote:
BTW I'm in the process of setting up a website for PS3 homebrew if anyone's interested..

@ number6

Sorry I removed the animated gif.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 09:05 PM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 21:51:43
#50 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Please refrain from misquoting and taking quotes out of context. Consider this a first warning.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 21:55:33
#51 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Hey kiddo,

if you are referring to number6's posting, I just quoted the thread he listed. The "@ number6" part is a standard AmigaWorld.net feature, sorry if that wasn't clear. Feel free to ban me though.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 09:56 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 21:58:54
#52 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Yes Mike, it's a forum standard, so people you talk to know whom you're responding to. You responded to number6, if that wasn't your intention you should have removed the '@number6' part.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 22:00:59
#53 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Sorry I forgot (shoot me!), a warning seems a little bit over the top IMO. Especially considering people dragging this thread off topic.

tomazkid 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 22:06:41
#54 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

You know the procedure, no discussion about moderation in public.

Responded via PM.

Tigger 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 22:16:30
#55 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

DonnieA2 wrote:
@MikeB

Things that detract me from being a PS3/Amiga enthusiast..

1) GPU technology closed off from any 3rd party OS that can boot up (what's an Amiga really without cool graphics, it's just another OS even though it works smart)

First of all I dont think the GPU issue won't be worked around, but even if it isnt. Locked up as it is now, the PS3 GPU still is faster and better then any video card you can get to work on your Amigaone.

Quote:

2) no upgradability of CPUs or anything the hardware community likes to do with tweaks (DMCA violations can we say)

You mean like all those processor upgrades everyones always buying for their AmigaOnes? Oh wait, they basically dont exist.

Quote:

3) Price point versus upgradability

I'm not sure what your point is here. For over two years there has been no hardware made, now your complaint is it might be hard to upgrade a system 20+X faster then any system currently available to run the OS that has a US street price of $500 including HD, Memory, Case, Blu-Ray drive and a kicking video card.

Quote:

4) It's Sony (can we say ROOTKIT)

Thats alright people run the Terons boards, can you say flawed chip, Rockwell and lots other companies engineers can and did thats why MAI is MIA.

Quote:

Where even if they got OS/4 going on it will there be a market??

Bigger market then the shrinking (though still holy according to some) sub-1000 we have now. Guaranteed 5000 CDs, just from people wanting to try the AmigaOS out on the PS3.
-Tig

Last edited by Tigger on 08-Mar-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 22:59:33
#56 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
understand you concerns regarding performance, but with Linux already performing like this on the PS3...

But does it even support video overlay? Because i found it odd that he never showed the tv running in fullscreen.

vision 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 23:20:35
#57 ]

Edited.
30 days ban initially, I'll discuss this with the staff too. /tomazkid

Reason: Troll: Trolls show no respect for other people's opinions and deliberately crafts messages to provoke others with the intention of wasting their time and energy or just to cause anger and confrontations. There is no point in arguing with them; their minds are made up. Ignore them, and report the posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member. Repeat offenders may incur an instant banned.

Site Netiquette: We share one common ground, we are all Amiga users! Respect other opinions, even though you may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner.

Last edited by tomazkid on 09-Mar-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 08-Mar-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 08-Mar-2007 at 11:41 PM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 2:36:10
#58 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

How well does the UAE perform on the PS3?

DonnieA2 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 3:12:06
#59 ]
Cult Member

@Tigger (just comments)

Point 1:
"First of all I dont think the GPU issue won't be worked around, but even if it isnt. Locked up as it is now, the PS3 GPU still is faster and better then any video card you can get to work on your Amigaone."

That's not saying a lot we need Amiga games that rival titles like World of Warcraft, not gonna get it there or that way..

Point 2:
"You mean like all those processor upgrades everyones always buying for their AmigaOnes? Oh wait, they basically dont exist. "

The Community wants and expects these things however, regardless of availability

Point 3:
"I'm not sure what your point is here. For over two years there has been no hardware made, now your complaint is it might be hard to upgrade a system 20+X faster then any system currently available to run the OS that has a US street price of $500 including HD, Memory, Case, Blu-Ray drive and a kicking video card."

Missing all the things OS/4 would miss on a PS3 due to lack of expandibility (memory, CPU speed, etc.) , it's just not adding anything that would make it really worthwhile to own and use. I don't agree with your costing out of a system.

Point 4:
Bigger market then the shrinking (though still holy according to some) sub-1000 we have now. Guaranteed 5000 CDs, just from people wanting to try the AmigaOS out on the PS3

I don't agree with any of those numbers either, or 5000 people wanting to try AOS on the PS3..

A PS3 version of OS4 would be very limited for the wants of most Amiga hobbyists that I know..

wegster 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 4:54:21
#60 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
RE: Motorstorm
Quote:

Graphically it's much better than the old demo! There are only 8 tracks though, albeit they are big and well designed. More tracks and other additional content has been announced for the PSN.

I'll have to see if they updated the demo. Anything change with respect to controls, wheelies, phsyics?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle