Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  12 mins ago
 roschmyr:  14 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  24 mins ago
 kolla:  54 mins ago
 phoenixkonsole:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA: First Impressions
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
jorkany 
Re: EFIKA: First Impressions
Posted on 11-Dec-2006 22:43:15
#61 ]
Cult Member

Efika is now on sale at AmigaKit:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=629

Profile     Report this post  
Darrin 
Posted on 11-Dec-2006 23:16:50
#62 ]
Team Member

@bbrv

Is there any chance of a straight answer as to what has been agreed on or is that asking too much?

I think after all these years we're entitled to a BS free, plain English response with no magic mirrors or smoke screens.

So, marketing hype and false advertising aside, have you got OS4 working on this board or not, and have you reached a deal with Amiga? A simple "Yes" or "No" to both questions will suffice.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 7:59:18
#63 ]

@bbrv

Quote:
We have a license. It really is that simple. We will be back when it is ready.

This reminds me of the time BBRV claimed that they owned AmigaOS4.

For those of you that weren't around or don't remember, during the Amiga Inc. vs Genesi court case BBRV actually announced that THEY owned AmigaOS4.

They actually said they were going to 'allow' Hyperion to honor their contract and continue to develop OS4 even though it was now a Genesi product. I believe it was not too much later Amiga Inc., announced that they had sold themselves a year earlier and Bill Buck was left with his foot in his mouth. Seems the court thing mostly blew over after that announcement.

BBRV is such a kidder

pixie 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 11:46:15
#64 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

And we're so much better with Amiga INC

hatschi 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 12:31:37
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Darrin

Quote:
have you got OS4 working on this board or not, and have you reached a deal with Amiga? A simple "Yes" or "No" to both questions will suffice.

With a simple "Yes" or "No", it would be impossible to link to 6 different waffle-blog-entries, so I doubt this will ever happen.

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 12:35:42
#66 ]
Team Member

@hatschi

LOL. I live in hope.

bbrv 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 12:53:46
#67 ]

@AmigaHeretic

That reminds me of why we usually ignore your posts. We never said that. Post a link here if you can.

@Darrin

To you, we will post this answer. We need to finish shipping EFIKAs to developers. Please don't be surprised if you hear nothing more of this for a couple of months. This will be the end of the discussion for now from our side. You can be sure after all these years and all the ups and downs we will be back for the future. The EFIKA creates the opportunity for many things. Case in point...

The total cost of goods of the A1200 was about $32. This is what Petro was shooting for when Escom was still around and before that bankruptcy. We visited the Escom facility as well as the production site in Bordeaux (Solectron). We have the same goals and targets.

Back to Amiga Inc. (vX.0):

Here is the text we sent our lawyers a few weeks ago...

1. Amiga Inc. and its successors...

McEwen: This was an asset purchase agreement, and once completed, Amiga, Inc. of Washington (which now owned nothing) closed its doors. Most of the employees accepted employment with the new company (three did not). For the sake of convenience in these answers, I will refer to Amiga in all of its incarnations as Amiga, but the Washington Amiga and the Delaware Amiga (KMOS Inc.) are unrelated.

There is no deception, no hiding and the fact that we announced all of it in the public forums would make that clear.

That means Amiga Delaware needs to be added, as does KMOS Inc.

2. Amiga Inc. has never complied. The Court's Order has been proven to be an ineffective tool to compel Amiga to perform. We have everything we need to make the new product, the EFIKA, function as required. We could say we have everything required because we took the necesary steps under 5.2 of the original Agreement. The Judge already ruled in our favor for new products:

http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/show_case_doc_47,16781,,,,1.pdf

Amiga has neither the means (reference to Bolton's non-performance) or the desire to comply. We ask that we be able to apply the terms of the Agreement unilaterally (as we can) and pay the royalties to a Court appointed receiver.

3. AmigaDE as licensed included the complete _Digital Environment_, which included the operating systems upgrades, etc. exactly as we argued. The original Agreement represents Amiga Inc. owned all substantial rights (Recitals, Paragraph 2). This cannot be confused with what they licensed from Tao.

http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/show_case_doc_49,16781,0,MAGIC,0,1.pdf

Note the way OS4 is described to Tapul S.A. to gain KMOS an investment of $1,000,000.

http://www.merlancia.us/amiga-hare/C__DOCUME~1_RICHWO~1_LOCALS~1_Temp_plugtmp-9_show_case_doc11-5.pdf

INCREDIBLY, this was signed on 10 May 2004 when the Judge in Washington State ruled on 1 March 2004 that Amiga Inc. was required to comply.

Here it is discussed in the same terms by the Court on 19 December 2003.

http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/show_case_doc_42,16781,,,,1.pdf

FURTHER, Bill McEwen said there was nothing left in Washington! They transfered assets and did not inform us, much less the Judge. During the proceeding that began on 01/02.03 Amiga Inc. transferred assets from Amiga Inc. to KMOS Inc. without notification.

4. Injunctive Relief (11.5 of the original Agreement). They have breeched the Agreement repetitively. What should we ask for? See Remedies Cumulative (11.6)

5. http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/show_case_doc_6,16781,,,,1.pdf

It all comes back to the final ruling by the Judge:

http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/show_case_doc_69,16781,,,,1.pdf

Paragraph 5.1 has been an entirely ineffective tool and that in the complete life of the Pegasos product Amiga Inc. never complied. We ask that we be able to do everything ourselves this time with the EFIKA, as we are in possession of everything we need to do so.

Amiga Inc. has behave fraudulently. End of story. They signed an Agreement they modified over time in their mind, but not on paper. No amount of corporate shell games will prevent the enforcement of the Agreement.

==THAT IS ENOUGH FOR NOW==

Happy New Year! Be back in 2007. :8

R&B :)

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 13:11:47
#68 ]
Team Member

@bbrv

Thanks for the reply, but it unfortunately seems that even though you WANT OS4, (possibly) have the rights to OS4 and have the ideal hardware to RUN OS4, that you still have no OS4. You also have a long uphill battle to get OS4 ported and packaged.

This is a shame because, as you point out in your post, you have everything needed to package a professional and cost effective "Amiga NG" hardware and software solution. The really upsetting things is that all the parties involved (hardware and OS4) are unable to forget the past and gather around a table in order to hash out a deal which would benefit all without resorting to lawyers. I'm afraid that if you are still going to take the "legal" route then we're still not going to see OS4 running on your hardware for another 3 years.

I'm ready to pack the whole Amiga thing in. I've probably bought 4 PC laptops and 5 PC desktops is the time since I cancelled my original order for the AmigaOne XE. I moved from Windows 98 to ME to 2000 to XP as my prefered OS. I've boxed 2 A1200s in towers while waiting for a Power Vixen or Dragon. I mean, how difficult is this? Bill Buck has the hardware, Hyperion has OS4 - so package them together and sell, sell, sell!!!

Time to slink back to my PC and play Cannon Fodder on WInUAE...

Good luck and hopefully we'll have something positive in 2007.

Srbin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 13:13:06
#69 ]

@bbrv

damn, english is not my native. Can someone in short terms explain me if efika will be future amiga, without IP problems etc... Will genesi have legal problems if they put say 'amiga compatible' sticker on efika case, or further develop mos, aos compatible?

I will never give a dime for any os4 platforms, but will 95% probably buy efika as soon as mos support is finished...

I remember that a year or more ago was a big problem with mos developers, claiming they are not payed for their work. And i see mos is developing, i presume the problem is solved, right?

Srbin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 13:16:25
#70 ]

And bbrv, why don't you hire os4 developers into mos team ? ;)

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 13:23:38
#71 ]
Team Member

Let me also add my disbelief in Hyperion/Amiga inc not grabbing the opportunity to grab the Efika by the horns and to release a package on which they can actually MAKE SOME MONEY!!!

Every month that goes by sees a shrinking active community get even smaller. I'm tired of all of the Red/Blue cat fights (of which I used to participate in) and a Genesi mobo with an Amiga/Hyperion OS could be the ultimate solution in pulling us all back together.

Doesn't anyone involved in OS4 want an income? Instead of handing out free beta versions to selected developers, we could have PAYING users helping to test and refine OS4 while providing a user base for software developers which in turn will help to attract even more customers.

Come on guys, cut the crap and get together. I'm not asking you to like each other, but just do business together which should serve the interests of all parties.

Framiga 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 13:49:10
#72 ]
Elite Member

@Srbin

because he doesn't own anything MOS Team related!

Gleng 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:09:40
#73 ]

To be honest, the legal wranglings behind the scenes of the whole Amiga debacle have long since gone over my head. I know longer know who owns what, or who has the rights to do anything.

All I know is that I will sell organs to get OS4 on Efika.

BobW 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:13:53
#74 ]

@bbrv

I see this as nothing more than an advertisement for the EFIKA. All your trying to do is get more people to buy your board based on the POSSIBILITY that someday OS4 might run on it. I think it's disgusting. Just another example of a company screwing the Amiga community.

saimo 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:17:03
#75 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:
Amiga Inc. has behave fraudulently.

Your behaviour, on the other hand, is so honest and clear. You are here again trying to make the Amiga crowd believe that AOS4 is (part of) AmigaDE: AOS4 (for now) has nothing to do with the AmigaDE. You perfectly know that.
You are just trying to pull some kind of magic out of the legalese to obtain what you want so bad but you cannot have.
Your attempt is an offence to those who know the difference between the two systems - because, denying a basic truth, you are basically saying "You're all wrong, and I'm right." - and an offence to those who don't know - because you are feeding them with a lie.

Quote:
==THAT IS ENOUGH FOR NOW==

No, that is enough for ever.

saimo

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:17:12
#76 ]
Team Member

@Gleng

Quote:
All I know is that I will sell organs to get OS4 on Efika.

I won't quite go THAT far, but it certainly seems the best (cheapest) solution we are likely to see for OS4. For OS4 to really succeed, we need a wallet-friendly option to attract the "casual" or "curious" user. This could be it.

Darrin 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:33:38
#77 ]
Team Member

Quote:

BobW wrote:
@bbrv

I see this as nothing more than an advertisement for the EFIKA. All your trying to do is get more people to buy your board based on the POSSIBILITY that someday OS4 might run on it. I think it's disgusting. Just another example of a company screwing the Amiga community.

Sure it's and advertisement for the EFIKA, after all Bill is a businessman and he does have a product to sell (unlike some companies). I think his last post clears up the true situation. True, he doesn't have OS4 to run on it, but it seems that he does have a possible right to run it and he certainly has the desire to see it run.

At the end of the day, he has the solution to our hardware needs and he wants to sell us the boards. All we need is for Amiga/Hyperion to have the desire to sell OS4 CDs. I've been waiting too long to give up on OS4 and there are a lot of people who have been working on it for years who deserve to see it released to a decent user-base. I don't want OS4 to go the same way as BeOS.

Zylesea 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:36:57
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Srbin

Quote:

Srbin wrote:
And bbrv, why don't you hire os4 developers into mos team ? ;)

Because MorphOS is the MorphOS-Team's exclusive property. Noboby exept the team decides what does happen with MorphOS.
Furthermore: Why or how should a OS4 developer be helpful for MOS? MOS progresses just fine - there is nothing to gain from OS4 for MOS (at least I do not see anything).

stychokiller 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:41:26
#79 ]

@gary_c
Tell me where I can get the veneer that adorns the wood in the background -- it's fantastic!

BobW 
Posted on 12-Dec-2006 14:57:58
#80 ]

@Darrin

Quote:
True, he doesn't have OS4 to run on it, but it seems that he does have a possible right to run it and he certainly has the desire to see it run.

I don't pretend to understand what goes on inside BBRV's heads. Do they want OS4 on their hardware or do they just enjoy making things difficult for Amiga Inc? This is not the first time he/she has shown up here claiming that everything is great and we will have a solution soon.

Another thing to consider is the involvement of lawyers. Any time you involve lawyers and the legal system things take LONGER to happen.

Really I don't think he cares about OS4. If he can get a few people to buy EFIKA by spreading this crap then he wins. If he somehow gets his hands on OS4 then thats just a bonus.

Having said all that I'm not against OS4 running on the EFIKA. I would just rather see it handled in a professional manner. Show me OS4 running on an EFIKA and then I'll buy one.

Last edited by BobW on 12-Dec-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle