Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  44 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 tygre:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  5 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
wegster 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 4:57:48
#61 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

Quote:
Missing all the things OS/4 would miss on a PS3 due to lack of expandibility (memory, CPU speed, etc.) , it's just not adding anything that would make it really worthwhile to own and use. I don't agree with your costing out of a system.

Yet, neither are projects like the A1s, Samantha, Troika, etc. AFAIK, they're all pretty limited in their 'expandability' as well, not to mention quite likely higher priced over the PS3.

The PS3 doesn't need to be 'the end,' but it would certainly stand a chance at decent (if not perfect, it's not, low RAM, etc) hardware, and _far_ more sales of OS4 than something like Sam, Panda, ACK, etc etc, including if AInc ever showed in public again, and indeed 'labelled' some hardware. That wouldn't be a bad place to start...moreso if licensing fees are reasonable, or if OS4 can be sold as an online download only, to reduce production costs.

Profile     Report this post  
Tigger 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 5:17:51
#62 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

Quote:

That's not saying a lot we need Amiga games that rival titles like World of Warcraft, not gonna get it there or that way..

Basically thats never going to happen, and none of the current list of potential platforms is capable of the games you say you want. You need a PC or a Mac to do what you want to do.

Quote:

The Community wants and expects these things however, regardless of availability

The community has not had them in the time of OS4, instead of asking for new things that you think the community wants and expects, how about we get actual shipping hardware and work our way up?

Quote:

Missing all the things OS/4 would miss on a PS3 due to lack of expandibility (memory, CPU speed, etc.) , it's just not adding anything that would make it really worthwhile to own and use. I don't agree with your costing out of a system.

Why dont you agree with my costing out of a system, the PS3 costs $500 it comes with a HD, a Blu-Ray drive, memory, video card, processer, USB ports and a case. We've never had as cheap a system. The processor runs at 3.2 Ghz and has 7 coprocessors kicking along at the same rate, before complaining about there wont be any upgrades, how about realizing its 20X faster then any A1 ever sold. And frankly its got as much memory or more memory then most AmigaOnes.

Quote:

I don't agree with any of those numbers either, or 5000 people wanting to try AOS on the PS3..

What number do you not agree with? Eyetech sold 1000 or so A1s, quite a few have died, do the math. If they can't get 5000 people to buy a $100 CD to run on a PS3, then Hyperion needs to close up shop and give up, because thats the easiest way to reintroduce the Amiga ever conceived of. You honestly think it would be easier to convince 5000 people to buy less powerful hardware that more expensive then a PS3 to run an OS they used to run 10 years ago or so?

Quote:

A PS3 version of OS4 would be very limited for the wants of most Amiga hobbyists that I know..

Explain why, and understand that the PS3 is more powerful then every other board pitched OS4 and has better graphics then any of the other options currently being pitched, oh yeah and at $500 is cheaper then any other of the platforms. What exactly can most Amiga Hobbyists that you know not do on a PS3 version of OS4 that they could do on an Amiga1, Sam, Panda or Moana running OS4?
-Tig

Last edited by Tigger on 09-Mar-2007 at 05:20 AM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 6:47:40
#63 ]
Cult Member

I selected "Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)" because I think that was the closest alternative, although I always find these kinds of polls a bit misleading since usually none of the choices quite match with personal opinion. The more detailed the choices (like now, listing some subjectively "killer" games I'm not at all interested in) the more likely they won't match.

I continue to be a Xbox 360 fanboy, MorphOS warrior and a Moobunnier of course, so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt, but my opinion on PS3 stands. I still am eyeing the PS3 Euro launch and even though I have concluded my Xbox 360 is here to stay, I haven't decided against the PS3 either. Maybe I'll get it at some point, maybe even at launch to get a wider selection of games in the future.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting another thread like this. I think we have had enough polls on the subject here recently, but that is just my opinion.

I'm not interested in PS3 Home at all.

P.S. I agree with Tigger that PS3 even with some parts closed for "other OS" developers would be miles better for AmigaOS than the "dedicated" hardware released or planned for it, performance-wise and pretty much price-wise too. I think sanity (and Seehund) would finally win if OS4 were to be made available on more platforms.

Last edited by jtsiren on 09-Mar-2007 at 06:50 AM.

SHADES 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 8:35:46
#64 ]
Cult Member

@Thread

I will own one in the next few coming months unless HARDWARE for Aos4 is available. I am spending my savings here as I am through with waiting to buy OS4 and PS3 will support multiple OS's and could be fun to play with.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 9:17:57
#65 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
although I always find these kinds of polls a bit misleading since usually none of the choices quite match with personal opinion

The answers were the best ones I could come up with, I did not want to add a zillion options at least people can specify and clarify their selection.

Quote:
I continue to be a Xbox 360 fanboy, MorphOS warrior and a Moobunnier of course

OK.

Quote:
To be honest, I wasn't expecting another thread like this. I think we have had enough polls on the subject here recently, but that is just my opinion.

I think this poll provides me with ideas most relevant to the Amiga community itself. But sadly I think the Amiga community seems to be too much divided to make significant investments specially targeted at the tiny Amiga community itself.

Quote:
I think sanity (and Seehund) would finally win if OS4 were to be made available on more platforms.

How come?

jtsiren 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 9:58:58
#66 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
The answers were the best ones I could come up with, I did not want to add a zillion options at least people can specify and clarify their selection.

Yeah, it was not a criticism towards you but a general observation. These kinds of polls are very common on the Internet and this is always a problem. I personally think that maybe adding an option concerning interest without price-drops/killer-apps would have helped a bit - I would have chosen that, say like this (removing some details too and splitting the first option):

Own one already
Will buy one very soon for sure
Waiting for "killer" game or feature
Interested, but we'll see
Waiting for price drop or slimline version
Only interested if runs AmigaOS4/other OS
Simply not interested

But this is nitpicking on my part, I know. I just wanted to clarify my position why it was hard for me to answer this poll. I don't think this poll per-se was a bad poll. In the context of so many PS3 polls here recently I maybe could have lived without it, but it is just my opinion.

Quote:
I think this poll provides me with ideas most relevant to the Amiga community itself. But sadly I think the Amiga community seems to be too much divided to make significant investments specially targeted at the tiny Amiga community itself.

You mean gives you insight on how to target the Amiga community with PS3 sales for your business?

Quote:
Quote:
I think sanity (and Seehund) would finally win if OS4 were to be made available on more platforms.
How come?

Well, I think the sanity part is obvious, so you probably aren't referring to it. As for Seehund, I just meant that if the contractual hardware restrictions in place were to be lifted (and, say, replaced with an USB dongle) he'd get what he's been petitioning for. Of course they could still sell PS3 licensed the old way via some dealer (Fun Computing?) but I think that would be the less sane solution.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 10:09:17
#67 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
Well, I think the sanity part is obvious, so you probably aren't referring to it. As for Seehund, I just meant that if the contractual hardware restrictions in place were to be lifted

But that would have nothing to do with Seehund. When dealing with 3rd parties handling your IP there will always be contracts and/or specific terms to deal with. The old contract relates to the development of AmigaOS4.0 for the AmigaOne (only ever sold together with the developer pre-release) and classic Amigas.

Obviously the involved companies would like to sell as many copies as possible. But having many platforms as an initial development platform doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

jtsiren 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 11:04:57
#68 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Obviously the involved companies would like to sell as many copies as possible. But having many platforms as an initial development platform doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

The point never was there had to be more than one development platform, it was that the mandatory licensing (in addition to any other limitations developers might have/choose when selecting platforms to develop to) is an unnecessary and harmful obstacle. Lifting such an obstacle from porting to PS3 (or any other hardware) would be great, even if Hyperion never chose to port there, because it would be one less thing to worry about.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 11:11:46
#69 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Obviously, the scenario was intended to be to first have AmigaOS4 completed for the AmigaOne and classic Amigas, in the meantime Hyperion did port the OS to a cancelled PDA as requested and funded by Amiga Inc. But the construction was also meant to allow Eyetech to eventually being able to cover their investments and run a profit.

Everything which comes after this was meant to be re-negotiated. IMO view the AmigaOne as a BeBox, a platform allowing the OS to mature before seeking new oppertunities.

Last edited by MikeB on 09-Mar-2007 at 11:13 AM.

polka. 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 11:53:50
#70 ]

@MikeB

Only interested if there are any _real_ signs that Hyperion is doing a port and that they have solved their legal battles with Amiga Inc.
No, I don't care about some gibberish coming from McEwen.
Otherwise you are only wasting your time here. (On a second thought, you might have started yet another PS3-thread to promote your own business of selling the PS3. In this case I advise you to better spend some money on a banner instead).

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 12:02:31
#71 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

This thread wasn't about Fun Computing, I was posting here well before a majority of the trolls felt the need to join up. Personally I prefer OS4 developer and relating manager comments over meaningless troll attempts anyday.

Lou 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 12:13:07
#72 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:

Here's a rather extreme perspective on the Nintendo Wii from a spore developer:

Quote:
"The Wii is a piece of s***!" Hecker began his talk, which was called "Fear of a Wii Planet." He blasted a few bars of Public Enemy to set the tone. Hecker said the Wii is nothing more than two GameCubes stuck together with duct tape, and that the console isn't powerful enough to provide the next-gen experience he has been waiting for.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/771/771051p1.html

Quote:
Although he stated the system is "severely underpowered," Hecker noted that he wasn't simply referring to the Wii's graphical capabilities. He wants to spend a console's CPU making games more intelligent, and he has found the Wii doesn't have the power to process things like complicated AI.

LOL! That guy gets paid to critcize consoles every year. You should really also post links to speeches he gave on the 360 and PS3 in prior years. Typical piece of propaganda.

Here's a quote from this speech on the Wii:
Quote:
The next part of Hecker's speech questioned whether "Nintendo gives a sh*t about games as an art form", observing that a Google search reveals that the phrase "art form" is found on PlayStation.com 30 times, on Xbox.com 13 times, and zero times on Wii.com.
"If you widen it to include Nintendo.com, you get seven. Still 50 per cent less art than Xbox.com," he observed.

and that sums up his reasoning...
He criticizes Nintendo for not having "art form" on their webite. Good source. He got paid to entertain, and I'm sure he entertained you. Nintendo - the innovator. This guy says games shouldn't focus on fun, but "art". ROTFLMAO! He is a developer of Spore, which is getting a DS version...and he says the Wii can't handle it... ROTFLMAO! ROTFLMAO! ROTFLMAO! ROTFLMAO! ROTFLMAO!
oh
and
ROTFLMAO!

What's even funny about his comment on AI programming is that the Wii's cpu core is more capable from a general-purpose programming design than the 360's or PS3. In the end, good AI is the responsibility of the programmer, not the cpu. A cpu doesn't give your characters AI all by itself.

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 12:30:04
# ]

@Lou

Quote:
LOL! That guy gets paid to critcize consoles every year. You should really also post links to speeches he gave on the 360 and PS3 in prior years. Typical piece of propaganda.

It's well worth noticing that the same guy praised Nintendo to high heavens last year before the Wii was out. Either way I guess exaggeration helps drive the point home - and hey, he got his headlines from boosting a "disappointing" to "crap", so I'm sure he's happy.

Regarding PS Home: Nintendo said Sony are taking a Mii-too approach . (Not meant to troll - I just thought it was pretty tongue-in-cheek)

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 12:50:02
#74 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Funny, but according to Phil Harrison Sony started developing this service years ago on the PS2.

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 12:56:52
#75 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Without SPUs, Cell’s PPE @3.2Ghz performance is like PowerPC 970 @1.6Ghz.

Tomas 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 12:57:58
#76 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
I ask again.. Does the ps3 using linux support video overlay? Because that youtube video only showed it windowed and not in fullscreen..

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 13:03:49
#77 ]

@Trezzer

This one made me smile...

Quote:

"Kick his ass and take his name!" someone shouted from a few rows behind me.

"Who?" answered Reggie in mid-autograph.

"Phil Harrison, front row!" Sure enough, there was Phil Harrison, seated dead center, front row. Looks like he could show up on time for Nintendo's keynote, but not Sony's.

With a grin and a chuckle, Reggie replies, "Some would say we've already done that."

Last edited by Hannibal_Smith on 09-Mar-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 13:06:05
#78 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

More interested on Commodore’s return to high-end game box. Wished Commodore takes over the Amiga again i.e. missed “Commodore-Amiga” duo.

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Mar-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 09-Mar-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 13:17:02
# ]

@MikeB

Yeah I don't really doubt that. Or that they at least had it planned. After all they've been talking about something similar for a long time, but probably haven't been able to pull it off on a technical level.

It will be interesting to see if they can manage what very few are able to do: to make 3D interfaces/virtual worlds interesting. I certainly like the idea, but just trying to think out scenarios on a conceptual level brings up all kinds of questions of viability.

I believe it was Miyamoto who said, that Nintendo had also worked with the idea of a full 3D world but dismissed it. I can understand why, but that's not saying that Sony will get it wrong. It's just one helluva challenge. It will be interesting to follow.

Report this post  
Tigger 
Posted on 9-Mar-2007 15:30:45
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@tomazkid

Without SPUs, Cell’s PPE @3.2Ghz performance is like PowerPC 970 @1.6Ghz.

With non optimized code thats pretty much true, but thats still much faster then any AmigaOne or any of the other boards that are currently candidates.
-Tig

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle