Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  21 mins ago
 bhabbott:  56 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Hans:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 minator:  3 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  nVidia in trouble ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
DrBombcrater 
Re: nVidia in trouble ?
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 2:05:57
#61 ]

@Frek

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. You insisted the 'rumour' NVidia are stopping production of the GT200b without a comparable product to replace it has been 'debunked' because Apple is using NVidia GPUs in is new systems. The AnandTech article refutes your theory completely since it notes that Nvidia have confirmed the GT200b has gone EOL. There's no wiggle room there at all. The GT200b is dead, NVidia PR can only dispute the reason why (although it's ridiculous of them to suggest that a miscalculation of market demand is a reason for EOLing their main product many months before a replacement is ready).

The GT120 is, again, irrelevant here. It is not based on the GT200b GPU, it's for sure not a 'middle-end' card. It's a re-badged version of the 9500GT that barely qualifies as low-end - it's such an awful product it was never released to the retail market. There's no point as it isn't even remotely competitive.

Profile     Report this post  
Seer 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 7:46:55
#62 ]
Team Member

@Frek

No serious companies deny or confirm rumors based on speculation through official channels, no matter how true or false they are.
So that reason is void.

So, not "scaring" investors away is not a reason? Really ?

Rumor: nVidia is going bankrupt
nVidia: ..... *whistles
investor: maybe better to not invest any more.. Might lose all my cash.

Sure if you are interested they will tell you all about it if you ask, but still. There are plenty of press releases from serious companies that deny rumors (and yes some lie about that, so serious might better be dropped to describe a company)

Customers however may decide just not to buy. Afterall, what if they go bankrupt.. What about support and warranty then. Better buy from another company.

If you think not having a product out during the xmas is not important long term or short term I'm not sure what to say about that. AFAIK both AMD and nVidia make the most cash during this period. It's real bad advertising for the company.

For the long perspective, see DX10. nVidia was first with DX10, so developers got to know their implementation first and learned how to develop for nVidia. That could be one reasons nVidia performs better on more DX10 titles so yes it is important. Even for a standard there are several optimisations one can do for specific vendors.

If both nVidia and AMD have a DX11 card out now the developers could learn how to develop for both versions.

Last edited by Seer on 21-Oct-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Last edited by Seer on 21-Oct-2009 at 07:48 AM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 8:13:07
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Seer

ATI has the 5700 and 5800 DX11 series cards out already (a few weeks now). And nice they are too

Seer 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 11:08:07
#64 ]
Team Member

@TheDaddy

I'm just waiting for nVidia to get the Gt300 out so prices might drop a bit and see who offers the best perfomance/price ratio before jumping on the next gen bandwagon.

Other then that, he 5000 series is very nice indeed. The current price "feels" reasonable to as well.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 12:31:24
#65 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy
The 5800 cards are out but hard to find. AMD has admitted quantities are low and something they will improve in the coming months. AMD is indeed in a better position than nVidia this year.

@Seer
Besides Christmas we have Windows7 shipping. People like new hardware with their new OSes. nVidia is truly missing the boat this quarter and perhaps longer.

As for the next gen bandwagon I see the 5800 and GT300 as .5 gen. When Fermi, Hectacharies, and Larabee ship is when we should see a real generation jump.

Seer 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 13:44:20
#66 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

True, the 5800 is mostly a 4800 doubled with dx11 build in. Not sure how well going from simd to mimd will affect games/dx11 tho ? Isn't the gt300 fermi tho ?

For stuff like directcompute/opencl it does feel more suited, and guess a lot of games will be starting to use that for physics (and another thing nVidia will see go bey bey, their physx api).

TheDungeonDelver 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 14:29:08
#67 ]
Cult Member

This is absurdist ...I don't know, scare-mongering? FUD? Yes. FUD.

Nvidia isn't going anywhere soon; remember back in 2002/2003 when AMD was eating Intel's lunch with better performing "XP" processors? Hell, I'm still (stuck...) using one, but Intel got on the stick and started turning out quantity and quality at competitive prices. As to Apple severing ties with Nvidia - so what? That's like Castrol finding out Rolls-Royce isn't recommending their oil to customers. People point up the great sales of Apple but they're still comparatively an insignificant percentage of the market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy. I used to adore 3dfx, but when I saw Quake II running on a TNT-2 card and looking (to my eyes) just as good as my ol' Voodoo-2, I knew times were a changin'. If Nvidia can't cut the mustard, well, then, that's just too bad. My next product will be an ATI.

But right now? I just don't see that happening, despite the histrionics of an obviously biased "journalist" (and as one myself, calling him one leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

Seer 
Posted on 21-Oct-2009 16:16:44
#68 ]
Team Member

@TheDungeonDelver

FUD ? Not really. No one is claiming nVidia is going anywhere but any one can see the signs all is not well on their side. Stopping development of chipsets, the high end is EOL (as said by nVidia themself) and AFAIK no date yet for the GT300 launch or even an comfirmed working sample of it. (ATI did the same tho with the 5000 serie, not showing the working card to the public)

Not having a competive product out during the best selling time of the year is not good no matter how good a product nVidia is going to release next year.

nVidia made some mistakes IMHO at the management level, big boys can fall and right now they seem to heading to fall really. (Commodore anyone ?)

And don't get me wrong either. I'm not an ATI fanboy, I have 6 PC's at home, 5 of them using nVidia chipsets, 1 is using and AMD one. 4 then use an nVidia gfx card, 1 a Voodoo (one of the first ones) and 1 ATI card. 4 of them use intel CPUs and the last 2 use an AMD CPU.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle