Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 t0lkien:  58 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 57 mins ago
 tygre:  4 hrs 49 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 9:57:18
#621 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
While I realize this is just the usual marketing mumbo-jumbo: How the heck can it be more creative and artistic to *write code* for a platform

Michiel van der Leeuw is a very talented developer and not part of the PR team. Do you want me to ask him some questions regarding why the PS3 is the superior games console from a indepth technical perspective?

Feel free to list your questions here and I will ask them.

Profile     Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 10:03:25
#622 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:

I get the impression that the PS3 is a lot more flexible than the 360 for programmers.

Define flexible. With X360, the programmer can run homogenous CPU type code on all 3 PPEs. Traditional SMP/SMT is limited on PS3 i.e. one can't run PPE code on the SPUs.

Quote:

The 360 requires you to use specific techniques to get the best out of it, there's a whole load of other options open to you on the PS3 - the Cell alone has dozens of programming models.

PS3 has less flexible GPU i.e. missing SMT (64 threads) and unfied shaders.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 10:07:31
#623 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

This counts for others as well:

MikeB:

Quote:
Michiel van der Leeuw is a very talented developer and not part of the PR team. Do you want me to ask him some questions regarding why the PS3 is the superior games console from a indepth technical perspective?

Michiel has very in depth knowledge, he would be one of the best people to get indepth answers from. Preferably questions relating to the Killzone project though.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 10:57:11
#624 ]
Elite Member

Some interesting information for the 1080p naysayers regarding Ninja Gaiden Sigma:

"One of the best ways to do that was to have a game that runs at a 1080p with a constant 60 fps, and utilizes real-time self-shadowing. No other game as accomplished all three of these goals at once."

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=107423

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:07:27
#625 ]
Elite Member

Another 1080p FMV game to hit Blu-Ray players. Good old Dragon’s Lair to hit not only the PS3, but also standalone players!

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/1872/2/

Meanwhile Microsoft UK boss Neil Thompson slams Blu-Ray:

Speaking to Gamesindustry.biz, Thompson stated "Do I want to make people pay £200 extra for a machine with discs that have storage space I don’t need? My answer’s no, I don’t need to do that today."

"And I don’t think I’m going to need to do that for quite a while."

Luckily UK consumers did not listen to Microsoft's consumer deception... IMO they should have listened to developer complaints..

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Mar-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 27-Mar-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:30:54
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
No my friend, Sony disgusts you and you misrepresent them and their products all of the time!

Where credit is due they get credit. Where criticism is due - oh they shall have it.

Quote:
So, please get off your high horse and don't act as a fool.

Certainly you have not made any money yet, but like I said: With the amount of propaganda you're spreading (and I'm not including the facts you have put forth - merely the propaganda and twisting of reality) you have gone far beyond blind fanboy levels. I simply can't believe that you have honest intentions any more (not that I was ever really convinced otherwise).

Quote:
If those launch weelend figures are correct and I compare this to the XBox 360's total sales for the holiday season in 2005 (390k for Europe) the weekend even outperformed my expectations.

Because then you can say "IT SOLD MORE!!!11" regardless of one having limited stock and one having plentyful. Yes. Of course you would never acknowledge otherwise. But consider this: Sales should really have to continue non-stop (or at least at a brisk pace) till the PS3 reaches the number of sold machines the 360 / Wii had n months later, when there were enough available to satisfy demand. Of course the Wii is still hard to find...

Quote:
you were actually wrong on so many occasions.

Less than a handful. You on the other hand...

Quote:
I have nothing against the XBox 360

Oh, it's quite clear from your rhetoric that you do - and you have admitted a strong dislike towards Microsoft yourself, so yeah, what's really up with you trying to colour others as one-sided? Even in your way of argumentation it shines through all too clearly. Whether it's something as simple as mentioning a basic next-gen feature and only mentioning it on the PS3 (which while comparing would make it sound like it's only on one of the two) or downplaying every single aspect of the 360 - even the *fact* that you have more choice when it comes to something as simple as the controller. It's just ridiculous. You have backed down on one single issue that I can recall in this discussion, even though you have been wrong and misrepresenting things time and time again.

Quote:
it's fanbase with people like you are quite annoying

I love lots of consoles. Depending on which anonymous face I've talked to on the internet, I've been called a Nintendo fanboy, a Sony fanoy, a Sega fanboy, an Amiga zealot, an Apple fanboy, a Microsoft fanboy. See, the funny thing is that once you've been all over those places it suddenly starts saying a whole lot more about the people on the other side of the virtual table. Those who refuse to realize, that they are too blinded by prejudice to consider that they themselves might have a problem. Then again... You didn't get your infamy for nothing, did you?

Quote:
Ok, Microsoft's reactions to the PS3 have been childish and annoying as well

Awww, Poor Sony. I'm sure Ken "Microsoft are not yet black belt" Kutaragi is crying himself to sleep.

Quote:
It's far more unlikely OS4 will ever be ported to the X360, yet we see all kinds of Microsoft Xbox 360 propaganda

Oh, I'm not surprised you can't see the difference. Pretty much everyone has said that seeing OS4 on PS3 would be interesting - myself included. You're not talking about OS4 on PS3 98% of the time though. You're posting silly screenshots or photos or going on about games that aren't due out till next year or .... well, everyone's got the picture I'm sure. And when you try to place the PS3 as something it is not (a far superior games machine) you can expect those claims to be shot down. No-one claims that the PS3 isn't somewhat interesting in its potential as a new OS4 machine. But I guess you're too fueled by fanboy koolaid to actually notice.

Quote:
I think the behaviour by XBox 360 caused some people to not want to talk about the PS3's potential with regard to AmigaOS4

Remember how you almost managed to turn jtsiren off of buying one at all?

Besides Xbox 360 is a console and it doesn't really behave in any manner. It just sits there playing its hi-def video and games.

Frankly, I'm sick of you, your posting style, your one-sidedness. I wish I could say that I'd stay out of this thread, but I guess that you're an unstoppable Sony PR machine, and as long as you go on spreading misinformation, I'll be ready to take it down. Just like in the threads before this. The PS3 thread that started without you was much more informative and relevant till you came back. (Thanks to those of you who actually post level-headed reasoning and argumentation in here on both sides of the discussion).

Last edited by Trezzer on 27-Mar-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Report this post  
zerohero 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:37:24
#627 ]
Team Member

@Trezzer & MikeB

OK! This is it. AW.Net is not for your personal battle of the next gen. gaming consoles, this is an Amiga site. You know, Amiga, the computer? I will now ask you both to stop posting about PS3 here, for a while, since every discussion ends up in the same way.

This will be the final request, more posts will render you both posting restrictions.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

Last edited by zerohero on 27-Mar-2007 at 11:42 AM.

GregS 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:40:34
#628 ]

If I read the figures right there are already 2.75 million PS3's out there.

If AmigaOS does port.

Just 5% of that market would be 137,500 Amiga users new users. And whether PS3 beats any of the consoles or not, by the end of the year there will be a lot more of them about.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:45:39
#629 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

OK, but please note I am mostly interested in the Cell and the PS3's 'Other OS' support, the facts, screenshots, etc and what not additional information I provided was a reaction to false claims that the XBox 360 would be superiour, Blu-Ray adds no significant value would fail and what not. Before posting here about the PS3, I never intended a XBox 360 vs PS3 fanboy war, but if misinformation is presented as fact I would counter (due to in depht insider knowledge).

@ Trezzer

Well done, I guess you succeeded in your goals. Signing off MikeB.

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Mar-2007 at 11:51 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:49:02
#630 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
I will now ask you both to stop posting about PS3 here

Oh, and please lock my thread if I can't reply to misinformation which would surely be posted otherwise.

zerohero 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 11:53:51
#631 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

On your request I will do so. Also for the record I've posted in the staff forums, if any of the other staff feel I've been to harsh in my judgment here they will open it. You're sure to receive a PM from me if that happens. That goes for Trezzer as well.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle