Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  9 mins ago
 ROMwack:  15 mins ago
 kolla:  25 mins ago
 kamelito:  33 mins ago
 matthey:  39 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
PosterThread
jiyong 
Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Posted on 2-May-2007 18:09:49
#861 ]
Cult Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
In all fairness, I don't think you can say someone isn't doing charity, or not doing it from their heart, if they don't participate in all and every kind of charitable activity.

Where did I say Billy Boy hasn't done charity?

Well, perhaps he is doing it from his heart, but I guess it's a M$ heart.
Remember his criticism on the OLPC? Oh, it doesn't run Windows, so it can't be good.

And please keep this in context.

BrianK is having a crack at Folding on the PS3. I replied and since this is the PS3 and 360 comparison thread, my response wasn't so strange, or was it?

Profile     Report this post  
jiyong 
Posted on 2-May-2007 18:32:17
#862 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
Yeah, he does like to spin words...

I wasn't clear enough in my PM's to you?

Quote:
You want me out of your life?
I would say you know how you should behave then.
You behave as a "normal" person and I will stay out of your life.

You said you don't want me in your life.

It looks like you no longer care, why else interfere in this specific discussion?

You call me someone who likes to spin words.

I still call you a liar. And I already have provided the proof in this thread, or did you forget that already again?

jtsiren 
Posted on 2-May-2007 19:22:03
#863 ]
Cult Member

@jiyong

Quote:
BrianK is having a crack at Folding on the PS3. I replied and since this is the PS3 and 360 comparison thread, my response wasn't so strange, or was it?

Well... Going after Bill Gates' charitable side may have been a bit "strange" in my books. Discussing F@H or either system's ability to run it of course is not.

Lou 
Posted on 2-May-2007 20:53:22
#864 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

LOL! You are a blind Sony follower/fanboy. I will coin the term: BSF. Anything that puts Sony in a bad light you turn it around and never accept the point.

Bill Gates can do anything he wants with his money.

If I owned a PS3, the freaking thing sucks enough juice as it is while playing games, I don't need it sucking extra juice while I'm not doing so as well.

This Folding@Home is useless. Any discoveries atrributed to it will not make a difference in your or my world. Only the "rich" get cures and the rest pay drugcompanies for drugs to alleviate symptoms and sustain their profits.

Ask yourself why Magic Johnson isn't dead, for example. He must have a really good HMO...

This Folding@Home is just another meaningless bullet-point for BSF's. Enjoy it, you'll still die of cancer or alzhiemer's when the time comes, though you'll pay plenty for those drugs to sustain you for an extra meaningless year or two.

ps,
Was that another prediction for you to feverishly keep track of?
I think it was. Do let me how you die. The world waits with bated breath.

Why the PS3 FAILED:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/27/magazines/business2/sony_playstation.biz2/index.htm

Last edited by Lou on 02-May-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 02-May-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 02-May-2007 at 09:40 PM.

KrasH 
Posted on 2-May-2007 21:58:25
#865 ]

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@jiyong

This Folding@Home is useless. Any discoveries atrributed to it will not make a difference in your or my world. Only the "rich" get cures and the rest pay drugcompanies for drugs to alleviate symptoms and sustain their profits.

The health system must really suck in the US for the above to be a fact. That's quite unfortunate,

KrasH 
Posted on 2-May-2007 22:09:09
#866 ]

XBox 360 Technical Problems,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Playstation 3 Technical Problems,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_technical_problems

My PS3 > My Xbox 360, still.

Lou 
Posted on 2-May-2007 22:13:15
#867 ]
Elite Member

@KrasH

Quote:

KrasH wrote:
@Lou

The health system must really suck in the US for the above to be a fact. That's quite unfortunate,

Why yes....yes it does.

To get corrective surgery in some cases, you have to sue your health care provider in order to get them to pay for it.

Last edited by Lou on 02-May-2007 at 10:15 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 2-May-2007 23:13:33
#868 ]
Elite Member

@KrasH

Quote:
The health system must really suck in the US for the above to be a fact. That's quite unfortunate
Comparatively the US healthcare system does suck. We are but a small handful of industrialized nations where healthcare is not a guarantee but a condition of employment. While rarely the best in the world the cost to us is about 2x the next nearest country. If Dick Cheney were unemployed he'd likely be dead. This is definitely another long thread.

Last edited by BrianK on 02-May-2007 at 11:19 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 2-May-2007 23:17:30
#869 ]
Elite Member

@KrasH

Quote:
My PS3 > My Xbox 360, still.
Gald you like it. I'm likely 1-2 months away from my own PS3 to augment my 360, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, PS1, and SuperNES. The biggest problem with the PS3 right now is the lack of 7th gen titles and interesting 7th gen titles for the 7th gen console. Sony will definitely have some more and some more attractive games by Christmas.

jiyong 
Posted on 3-May-2007 4:44:33
#870 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@jiyong

Quote:
I don't care if M$ has considered it or not, as that isn't something we can check. Result so far is that it is running on PS3 (and currently responsible for the majority of the calculations) and it isn't on the 360. Clean and simple.
Fair enough. Though it now sounds as if your previous question of doesn't want to support it now isn't important to you. Looks like you were just trying to attempt to make a cheap shot at Microsoft. Fine if you are just be open about it.

Again I said: Quote:
Isn't it strange how "our" biggest philanthropist Billy Boy hasn't bought into this?

Where did you see Billy Boy say this is a good idea and try to support it through 360? Actually, have they ever actively supported Folding on Windows?

So yes, I put the ball in M$'s court. Sure it was a cheap shot, but wasn't your original post a cheap shot either (AAA Killer App)? And if we eliminate all the cheap shots from this site, I wouldn't be surprised AW has another spare HD in the server.

Quote:
Quote:
Billy Boy says he is so concerned with the world, why not port Folding to the 360?..See my point?
No I don't seem your point it seems to be one of these 3. Is it a philanthropist is only good if they contribute to all causes. Or only good if they only do Folding. Or only good if they only do the causes you want which is Folding. Certainly jtsiren has a good point on your take on this.

Nope, this is called case building. I'm not talking about philantropists in general. Billy Boy has the money and the "control" over the hardware and he has said he wants to "help" the world and one way is fighting diseases. Just as he has sponsored things concerning AIDS. And it could be another nice opportunity to "crash" another Sony "party". If you want Folding on the 360, he is a very logical target to address the issue.

Quote:
Microsoft never took any direct action to prevent F@H from working so don't seem to care if F@H works on their systems and other systems too.

So now you admit they didn't buy into it?

Quote:
While as you claim Microsoft didn't actively support F@H I never made that claim - as you say don't misquote me. I never gave Microsoft credit for supporting that was simply your misread.

Oh come on Brian, now you are just being childish. Please reread it and try again. Where exactly did I misquote you? And reread that first line. That makes no sense at all. The fact that I claim something different than you makes me putting words into your mouth?

I would argue that you tried to give credit to Windows (and thereby M$) for running Folding.

Quote:
Quote:
Now you are giving way too much credit to Windows.

Nope actually I'm not, you're just reading in more meaning then there actually is.

jiyong 
Posted on 3-May-2007 5:11:07
#871 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@jiyong

LOL! You are a blind Sony follower/fanboy. I will coin the term: BSF. Anything that puts Sony in a bad light you turn it around and never accept the point.

Nope, I'm not blind. Remember I admitted Sony has made mistakes? Oops. Sorry, of course you don't.

Quote:

Oh dear. So you do not only know what the strategy for Sony should be, you also want to tell the people at Stanford they might as well quit.

And I told you before (oh, silly me, pointless effort), when you don't know the details about my life, don't make assumptions about it. How do you know any discoveries will not make any difference in my world? At least we have a better medical system in the Netherlands.

And since you once mentioned you wanted my pay, I assume I also make more money than you do.

Quote:
ps,
Was that another prediction for you to feverishly keep track of?
I think it was. Do let me how you die. The world waits with bated breath.

Oh dear, I guess the cheap medication really has an effect on you. I already told you multiple times which "predictions" of yours I keep track of. Oops, I did it again. Lou, isn't it frustrating your memory fails you so often?

Oh, and thanks for those last two lines. You are too kind, a real gentleman. I'm sincerely moved you are so concerned with my well-being.

Lou 
Posted on 3-May-2007 12:18:29
#872 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

The stagedy for Sony is to have these useless bullet-points so a BSF like you can say Sony is better than MS when no one really cares...except you, a BSF.

...and the rest of your post is just useless and pathetic...

If you wanted to champion Sony, why don't you mention how the developers felt limited with the 360's DVD-9 format vs. the room provided by Blu-Ray. http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/xbox-360-cant-handle-all-of-gta-iv/

however most of the time the results will be identical like this: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/devil-may-cry-4-to-be-identical-on-ps3-and-xbox-360/

With dev costs as high as they are and cross-platform titles a must, you'll see few games that really shine on the PS3 over the 360. With Walmart selling sub-$200 HD-DVD players, we see the nail in the Blu-Ray exclusive movie format war. You can already find discounted HD-DVD player addons for the 360 and I'm sure MS will release a lower cost one soon. Even CNN Busines 2.0 has called the PS3 a failure. You don't own a PS3 because even you said it's too expensive. It's obvious you can't afford to even buy a clue.

You can keep whining about my posting style all you want, but infact, you are the only whiner as I just post it as I see it. Get over it. I can post anything about Sony that I want and no amount of whining from you will stop that. No amount of your whiny PM's will stop that. Which is why from the first, I told you that you were wasting your time and continued to laugh at them.

Last edited by Lou on 03-May-2007 at 01:49 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-May-2007 14:28:24
#873 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
Where did you see Billy Boy say this is a good idea and try to support it through 360?
Where did you see BIlly Boy say this is a bad idea and do everything possible to prevent it? Of course either of us didn't because it appears these 2 organizations haven't communicated. Now if you can find something that shows us that perhaps Microsoft and F@H talked and Microsoft said No Thanks and waved by you might have a point. Until that time all we know is there likely hasn't been talks about this.

Quote:
Actually, have they ever actively supported Folding on Windows?
They've given passive support in so far that they haven't prevented it's running. For example you used the example of viruses which Microsoft hasn't supported since they indeed update their OS to prevent that running.

Quote:
but wasn't your original post a cheap shot either
No I'd call my comment humor perhaps bad humor. But you do have to admit since F@H is included with every PS3 in the OS itself it is the widest spread app and more people can potentially run it then the ~ 1M owners of Resistance. So certainly a AAA title.

Quote:
Billy Boy has the money and the "control" over the hardware and he has said he wants to "help" the world and one way is fighting diseases. Just as he has sponsored things concerning AIDS.
You claim to be building a case. What's your case founded on? My 3 examples are great for building your case. Your comments so far fall flat from the standpoint that while Gates has contributed to many diseases and causes he has not contributed to EVERY one that has ever existed. So the question begs on your 'case' what is the base reason that not running F@H is so important to you? But alas you admitted it was a cheap shot so I'll withdrawl that question because it assumed you had an actual reason to care and admittedly do not.

Quote:
So now you admit they didn't buy into it?
This sentence construct is confusing at best. I have not said Microsoft bought into it so there is no admissions and no now?

Quote:
I would argue that you tried to give credit to Windows (and thereby M$) for running Folding.
That woudl be a poor arguement. Your question w/ the attempt at a cheap shot accused Microsoft of not wanting F@H. If Microsoft didn't want F@H to be on their systems they have full power to prevent it using a variety of means. Heck they prevented Code Red it's not their fault people didn't apply the patches. I never said Microsoft actively supported F@H that's where you tried to put words in my mouth by reading in meaning. The support is passive as they have taken no action to disallow the active they're indirectly giving support.

minator 
Posted on 3-May-2007 17:39:50
#874 ]
Cult Member

If you're wondering about folding on the 360 you might like to read this.

Ouch!

Seer 
Posted on 3-May-2007 18:48:28
#875 ]
Team Member

@all

I'm not sure why I bothered to read this again, but just this last page seems reason enough to take a look at the TOS again. Either play nice, or the thread gets locked.

I'm not directing this to any specific person just yet, I'm not going to look through all pages to find the one who started this, I think you are all grownups.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-May-2007 19:25:11
#876 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Nice link thanks! It goes to show what construction of a CPU with the idea of encompassing a variety of high bandwidth processing needs can do.. From the IBM site... The Cell Architecture grew from a challenge posed by Sony and Toshiba to provide power-efficient and cost-effective high-performance processing for a wide range of applications....an innovative solution whose design was based on the analysis of a broad range of workloads in areas such as cryptography, graphics transform and lighting, physics, fast-Fourier transforms (FFT), matrix operations, and scientific workloads. This goes to show that the Cell is indeed one powerful CPU and will be good for multipurpose markets. The Xenon probably could have other uses but as we know it Microsoft's only use is the 1 purpose of the home entertainment arena.

Lou 
Posted on 4-May-2007 12:32:32
#877 ]
Elite Member

It's Golden Week in Japan, so no #'s for about 2 weeks but Famitsu has posted a chart:

1. Final Fantasy XII : Revenant Wings
2. Super Paper Mario
3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS
4. Wii Sports
5. Big Brain Academy
6. Gyakutensaiban 4
7. One Piece : Unlimited Adventure
8. Panel de Pon DS
9. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2
10. Wii Play

6 DS games and 4 Wii games.

I'm suprised to see One Piece:UA there for the Wii. I heard it got poor reviews. I own latest One Piece fighting game on the 'Cube and it was a descent game indeed. Super Paper Mario shows the staying power that I "predicted".

Turns out one of my tenants has a PS3 and RFOM and Motorstorm. Bought it with his tax money a couple of months ago. I'll have to invite him up and plug it into my HDMI-equipped 50" widescreen DLP TV and see how it is. Heck, maybe I'll even let him connect to my wi-fi router and let him do a system update.

I'm such a good landlord. Good thing buying a PS3 didn't intefere with his rent payments... I definitely would have had to evict his family on those grounds.

Last edited by Lou on 04-May-2007 at 12:33 PM.

jiyong 
Posted on 5-May-2007 3:59:09
#878 ]
Cult Member

@Seer

I'm sorry, but I don't think we are grownups. Yes, I also refer to myself.

I have given this a lot of thought before I answered and I will explain.

I think that rather sooner than later this will rear its ugly head again, as this isn't the first time.

Yes, I have also acted like child and yes, I have placed personal attacks and I know this is not allowed by the TOS. If that means I will suffer the consequences, so be it.

There is no need to go through this whole thread. The posting that sparked all this was from BrianK at the 28th of April. Now I don't have a problem with the posting itself, but I do have a problem with being misquoted and IMO being falsely accused of misquoting.

Why is it so hard for people to admit they are wrong or can't win the discussion?

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the attitude of some people on this website. Yes, I am very childish when people misquote me and IMO falsely accuse me. If that is also considered a fundamentally wrong attitude, please let me know.

I'm afraid the case with Lou goes even further back. I will not go into details as I will spare you the investigation. If needed I will supply it.

I can handle posts that are beyond the rules of the TOS and I know I have also acted beyond them. Again, if that means I have to suffer the consequences, so be it.

But with comments like this from Lou, that's where I draw the line:

Quote:
Do let me how you die. The world waits with bated breath.

Perhaps it was hypocrite of me to click on the Report button and still answer his post, but I just had too much adrenaline pumping around.

BrianK 
Posted on 5-May-2007 5:21:28
#879 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
The posting that sparked all this was from BrianK at the 28th of April.

#847 Posted on 27-Apr-2007 22:44:15 w/ the humor line clearly off-set w/ Razz defn. To make fun of; mock playfully.

Next post by me
#850 Posted on 30-Apr-2007 8:52:01 as possible explainations to help think of reasons why F@H hadn't been ported by the Stanford Team.

The 27th was close enough to the 28th about 15 minutes before so my guess is that was the line where your emotions got set off by someone mocking an inanimate emotionless object?

jiyong 
Posted on 6-May-2007 0:15:06
#880 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

I guess the time issue is because the website takes into account the timezone of the user?
Just as a check, your last post I see as: Posted on 5-May-2007 6:21:28
As I read "newest on top", the numbering is different. Perhaps something to consider for a next release, that the numbering of the posts will stay the same, whether you read "newest on top" or "oldest on top".

And as I explained, it wasn't the post itself, it was your accusation of misquoting, that in my opinion was just a childish response when I caught you doing it.

Just as I pointed out to you one of your lines didn't make any sense, well, at least to me, you counter that by pointing out a line of mine and try the same thing.

And if it is just "an inanimate emotionless object", why did you so furiously counter my response?
You could argue I should have used a smiley there, but I have the feeling you either misread me (as I had to point out multiple times to you I never claimed M$ tried to block it on their systems), or you just wanted to flame me.

And in my book "buying into something" is not falsified with claims you haven't seen them talking negatively about it and did nothing to prevent it from running on their systems.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle