Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  13 mins ago
 ROMwack:  19 mins ago
 kolla:  30 mins ago
 kamelito:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  43 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: PS3 and Xbox 360 (gaming) comparisons
Posted on 23-May-2007 14:08:32
#981 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:

I could find a rundown for PS1 on Wikipedia, not for PS2. Only a table for price history.

Nothing a simple search can't resolve:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ps2+problems+sony&rs=3&fr2=rs-bottom&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501

The Wii will win this generation just by being reliable, affordable and fun.
Who knew that quality, price and "fun interaction" would win over HD graphics, 7.1 digital sound, large electric bills and media overload...?

For the question of graphics, the latest IGN Wii-kly podcast (wii.ign.com) states that the Wii version of Manhunt 2 clearly displays the Wii's superiority to the Xbox - (which is more than enough for John Q. Public).

Metroid Prime 3 has been dated for Aug 20 in the US. Madden '08 for the Wii will feature online play.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/releases.html

No shortage of games this summer...

Profile     Report this post  
minator 
Posted on 23-May-2007 14:36:35
#982 ]
Cult Member

There's a poll on B3D about console reliability.

If it's even slightly accurate there appears to be a pretty serious problem with the 360. Oddly they don't appear to have changed much in the Elite so it may suffer the same problems.

i would have thought MS would want to get things fixed as soon as possible, it must be costing them a fortune.

BrianK 
Posted on 23-May-2007 14:39:11
#983 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Quote:

I could find a rundown for PS1 on Wikipedia, not for PS2. Only a table for price history.
Nothing a simple search can't resolve:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ps2+problems+sony&rs=3&fr2=rs-bottom&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501

Wikipedia is a living document edited by the world. It used to have more detail then it has today. I checked today and there's a single line about V15 model but there's definitely other problems. Those existed in there at one time it appears someone in the world wanted them removed. Not sure why Wikipedia was being wonky and only giving a pricing table. It appears to be fixed now as that table is section 12 of a 15 section document.

Thanks for providing the search link for users! If one decides to do research on the PS2 they can find the issues with the different revisions that'll be helpful.

BrianK 
Posted on 23-May-2007 14:48:16
#984 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:
There's a poll on B3D about console reliability.
I wish that us consumers could get something more realistic then unscientific polls. They are of interest but as they're unscientific this is simply more heresay. Companies should be honest about their reliability and issues they face and tell us the truth. For a couple of examples: Microsoft definitely was not as honest as they should have been about the 360 issues. Sony's PS2 incompatibilities and DVD issues were too denied at first by Sony. But with enough user outcry Microsof has extended warranties, and Sony publishes compatibility listings.

MikeB 
Posted on 23-May-2007 15:51:32
#985 ]
Elite Member

Good news, a new PS3 firmware update should become available this week allowing PSX / PS2 games (also component) and DVDs to upscale up to 1080p through HDMI.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39809

Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Lou 
Posted on 23-May-2007 18:00:16
#986 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Good news, a new PS3 firmware update should become available this week allowing PSX / PS2 games and DVDs to upscale up to 1080p through HDMI.

Don't forget about the PSP being able to access your PS3 from anywhere on the planet with a wi-fi connection...

...oh the hackers are going to have a field day with that one...

Last edited by Lou on 23-May-2007 at 06:00 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 23-May-2007 19:42:45
#987 ]
Elite Member

Heavenly Sword developer talking about the power of the Cell processor.

"And have done a lot of the design and implemention of the army sections of the game, doing AI, gameplay, physics etc. all on the SPU. So much that Sony used it in the GDC2007 as a case study in advanced SPU usage. I think the SPUs are the best piece of technology in a console for at least 2-3 generations… Once you get to grips with them, they just keep giving and giving… So much so that I suspect everybody has underestimated there power."

"All good, but whats really clever its how its implemented. If another SPU asks for that bit of memory its get its from another SPUs cache, if its in there. So you effectively have a fast SHARED 512 bytes. When an SPU writes, the other SPU only have to read from the writing SPU cache rather than DMAing it back to main memory and DMAing it into LS. Cuts down alot of memory traffic."

"And the nicest thing about it… It just works… All the cache snooping, routing etc. all just happens magically inside the chip. You say ATOMIC_GET and ATOMIC_SET and treat yourself to a 512 byte shared cache."

"I just have a shared counter statistics system that all works even tho I can be making 100’s of atomic updates per frame.

Nice one… Whoever at STI who added that bit of hardware deserves a beer from me "

More at:
Deano on the Atomic Cache Unit
http://blog.deanoc.com/

KrasH 
Posted on 23-May-2007 21:58:01
#988 ]

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Good news, a new PS3 firmware update should become available this week allowing PSX / PS2 games and DVDs to upscale up to 1080p through HDMI.

Don't forget about the PSP being able to access your PS3 from anywhere on the planet with a wi-fi connection...

Please explain your last comment. How will they be able to hack the PS3 remotely?

jiyong 
Posted on 24-May-2007 3:23:14
#989 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:

It seems the PS3 itself is quite safe (do note I'm not saying it is 100% hacker proof, before anyone will start misinterpreting me). When hosting a Linux webserver on it, so far it was safe. As far as you can call any system safe that is connected to the internet. PS3 hacking contest

I guess we would need more information on how the PSP will connect to the PS3. I hope for Sony they will use an encrypted connection. On the other hand, no system is safe and when you can snoop the traffic between the PSP and the PS3, perhaps you can snoop enough traffic to find the key.

Would be really ironic when you could use the SPU's to crack the key and hack the PS3.
Don't forget Altivec is really efficient when trying to crack RC5 keys.

Last edited by jiyong on 24-May-2007 at 03:35 AM.

Lou 
Posted on 24-May-2007 4:17:59
#990 ]
Elite Member

@KrasH

Quote:

KrasH wrote:

Please explain your last comment. How will they be able to hack the PS3 remotely?

Well, all you have to do is run a wireless sniffer when a PSP is accessing a PS3's files... It's a security hole that I am sure will be exploited.

He ck - the PSP is the most hacked device I have ever seen. It's so easy to flash your own BIOS and dump the installed one. I see you've never looked into PSP homebrew...

KrasH 
Posted on 24-May-2007 9:01:26
#991 ]

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@KrasH

Quote:

KrasH wrote:

Well, all you have to do is run a wireless sniffer when a PSP is accessing a PS3's files... It's a security hole that I am sure will be exploited.

He ck - the PSP is the most hacked device I have ever seen. It's so easy to flash your own BIOS and dump the installed one. I see you've never looked into PSP homebrew...

So, packet sniffing a secure network is that easy. I had no idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if the connection from the remote PSP and the PS3 is as simple as a VPN connection and packet sniffing would be practically useless.

I'll have to wait for 1.80 to be released to see how things will work in regards to my routers firewall etc.

In regards to your last sentence. Never assume what I have or haven't looked into when it comes to my PSP.

edit: Just installed 1.80. Good so far. The remote play over the net with the PSP and PS3 is via the playstation network from what I see. I just login on the PSP using my PS3 playstation network details. I can't wait to try this out.

Last edited by KrasH on 24-May-2007 at 11:03 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 24-May-2007 9:45:59
#992 ]
Elite Member

@KrasH

The update is already available in the US and Europe, a summary based on the first end user reports and testing:

- Good news for the few people owning 720p HDTVs which don't accept 1080p/i source and scale the image automatically. 720p output is now supported for Blu-Ray movies.

Picture of 720p Blu_Ray downscaled by PS3 (source, ignore the wrong dates):
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/wifebeatingproductions2/100_3766.jpg

- PS2 upscaling and smoothing options added. People report huge improvements for 480i games, 480p games also look significantly better in most cases. PS1 downloaded games look much better.

God of War 2:

No Upscale (480p) / No Filtering: (notice the jagged lines)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/IJoel/gow2_base.jpg

Upscaled (1080p) / Filtering:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/IJoel/gow2_filt_upscaled2.jpg

- Full Range HDMI option added. Improving colors (deeper colors) for your HDTV, if your HDTV supports this (most HDTVs should be set to limited for the best image quality). Don't know if having HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 cables (double the bandwidth) matters at this point.

Picture of DVD upscaled (photo):
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r78/wifebeatingproductions2/100_3777.jpg

- A new photo album slideshow added, an adjusted version of the falling photographs slideshow which re-arranges the photographs for better view when zooming in.

- Printer management added, currently just supporting Epson printers for printing out images.

- You can now stream content from DLNA-enabled devices like PCs, Macs and DVRs. (also PSP when the new PSP firmware is released)

- Backward compatibility improvements.

All in all IMO a very good update, I am sure we'll get some more solid updates in the near future!

Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2007 at 09:47 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 24-May-2007 10:34:40
#993 ]
Elite Member

From Reuters:

"The first map pack was released for free months earlier and generated more than 1.5 million downloads. The new download included several new battlegrounds online users could fight on during multiplayer matches, but this time they cost $10.

Mark Rein, vice president of "Gears" developer Epic Games, said in an interview on video game Web site 1up.com that the studio would have preferred to give away the maps, but Microsoft, which published the game, decided to charge for it.

This set off angry complaints from fans who felt Microsoft was taking advantage of them. Epic declined to comment for this article.

Microsoft Xbox Live group product manager Aaron Greenberg said few gamers complained about the add-on features and that the charge helped Microsoft recoup the cost of developing games and running the expensive online service.

"We are like the complaint department. We hear from the small minority that are not happy," he said."

IMO not a good move from Microsoft, if this was Sony the internet explodes.

BrianK 
Posted on 24-May-2007 14:03:32
#994 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Don't know if having HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 cables (double the bandwidth) matters at this point.
In most cases likely not. Cables are certified for a standard but that doesn't mean they don't handle other standards. I haven't seen HDMI cable reviews perhaps cheapo 1.2 cables might not be able to carry 1.3 but I doubt it. This sort of thing is relatively common for cabling. I have old Cat-5 cables that I'm using at Gig speeds. The testing equipment I have here show they are the same as the Cat-6 cable I have here. They are so old I doubt Cat-6 standard was ready or testable and thus they don't carry the Cat-6 stamp of approval. It would be interesting to see how much output bandwidth the PS3 is generating. If someone could put a scope on the HDMI and let us know if there's a full 1.3 or something barely higher then a full 1.2 that'd definitely be of interest.

Quote:
Mark Rein, vice president of "Gears" developer Epic Games, said in an interview on video game Web site 1up.com that the studio would have preferred to give away the maps, but Microsoft, which published the game, decided to charge for it.
Live services for consoles is being lead by Microsoft. It is new to this industry. Things like this will undoubtably be worked out and need to be worked out. But, do consider content does consume server resources along with bandwidth to upload to users. Thus, there is still a cost involved which if given away free wouldn't be recouped.

Lou 
Posted on 24-May-2007 14:36:09
#995 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Actually Microsoft did comment on that....

It went something like "Epic cost Microsoft 10Billion $$ for the extra 256MB of memory that is in the 360". So if MS wants to charge a couple of bucks for map packs on their game, they bloody well will.

In hindsight, it was a good idea no matter how you slice it. (the extra memory)...

Lou 
Posted on 24-May-2007 14:37:56
#996 ]
Elite Member

@KrasH

Last I heard, it only takes 1/2 a day to determine a WEP key by sniffing and running some unencryption routine...

minator 
Posted on 24-May-2007 14:54:00
#997 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
Last I heard, it only takes 1/2 a day to determine a WEP key by sniffing and running some unencryption routine...

You're well out of date, last I heard it was measured in minutes. 2 IIRC.

WEP is pretty much cracked now, use WPA.

BrianK 
Posted on 24-May-2007 14:57:02
#998 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
A n00b might take that long. A person setup and ready to go can easily get the WEP key in under 1/2 hour.

It might actually take longer if you count the time waiting for a PSP user to come into your web and try to use their PS3. Likely a low # of citizens, at least this year, will be attempting this as less then 1% of the population has a PS3 and likely only a minority of that number will be interested in running their PS3 remotely from the PSP. So it depends how buy your local Starbucks(tm) is with PSP/PS3 users.

minator 
Posted on 24-May-2007 15:16:20
#999 ]
Cult Member

BTW in 1.8 the zoom option for photos is immensely useful if you want to see where to crop a picture. I have to mess around a lot in photoshop to do this - it's much easier on the PS3.

It pays to get this right, I've won competitions with my pictures:)

MikeB 
Posted on 24-May-2007 16:21:17
#1000 ]
Elite Member

Some more before and after shots (Upscaled from 480i/p to various settings):

Doom (PS1)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

FFXII:

Before:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_8797.jpg
http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/ps3/scaling/ffxii480p.jpg

After:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_8968.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_8971.jpg
http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/ps3/scaling/ffxii1080pf.jpg

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
480i
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/daviddoel/Klonoa480i1.jpg
1080i
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/daviddoel/Klonoa1080i1.jpg

Various games upscaled:
God of War 2:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_8978.jpg
Shadow of the Colossus:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_8986.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_8984.jpg
Dragon Quest 8:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/pachinko/upscaler005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/cmagus/dqup.jpg
Kingdom Hearts II:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_9001.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_9002.jpg
Silent Hill 3:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_9007.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/Xngears/Photos/IMG_9015.jpg
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence:
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/5291/mgs3s03axn5.jpg

Tales of Souls:

Comment for poster: "if you view the pictures in a slideshow, the clothes get noticeably cleaned up a bit, but it looks MUCH better in motion than it does in still comparisons. Take note again that I'm working with 1080i as well."):

Before:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/deathchariotlol/100.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/deathchariotlol/200.jpg

After:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/deathchariotlol/101.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w308/deathchariotlol/201.jpg

Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle