Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 BigD:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  19 mins ago
 utri007:  30 mins ago
 Yssing:  32 mins ago
 amigagr:  35 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  42 mins ago
 towo2099:  46 mins ago
 zipper:  56 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 13:45:14
#201 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

there is a lot of "promised" or "at the works" there so we should stay in reality and wait till "it is done" or in worst case "two more weeks"

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 13:46:09
#202 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Good luck and again welcome

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 14:03:56
#203 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

"there is apparently even a solution to run amiga 68k binaries on mac os from the shell or something."

What?. Where can i get it?. I wasn't aware of that piece of software.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

wawa 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 14:15:14
#204 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW
perhaps that?:
http://lallafa.de/blog/2011/11/vamos-runs-amiga-cli-programs-on-my-mac/

wawa 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 14:16:43
#205 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Multicore support scheduled for AmigaOS4.2 and it well known, I guess AROS developers are trying to get there before

like in "aros tries to get gallium implemented before os4 does"?

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 14:48:56
#206 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

I've supported many companies who have supported the Amiga. Make the products and you'll find a market. Though with the current size of the Amiga-base it'll be a fairly small group.

Franko 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 15:51:21
#207 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Quote:

Cod3r wrote:

I wouldn't even know how to do that (the screencast demo) other than taking pics or filming with my camera phone.

Natami almost sounds like what I did, and I didn't know about it previously. I wonder how Natami owners speak of their systems, I can't find any reviews of it.

If Natami is like their site describes, there is almost no purpose of my project, because it duplicates an effort already realized.

The thing is although the NatAmi would be welcomed by almost everyone, there is very little news on it and whether it ever will ever actually appear on the market...

If you consider your project to be similar to the NatAmi then that's all the more reason for you to push ahead with it...

Reason being, It's a free market and if you can get a product out before the NatAmi which can basically do the same thing then that means in such a small potential marketplace your product stands to take the lions share of that market and become a success...

The reality of it all is basically down to yourself and how much time & effort you can afford to put in and if you think there's a chance of getting your boss/ employer to take up this project then it's best to put things in action as quickly as possible...

The NatAmi is something I've been waiting for eagerly in the two years I've know about it but sadly there is no sign of it yet, so anyone else who can produce something similar and get it to market first has me as a guaranteed customer and most likely a lot of others as well... :)

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 16:09:20
#208 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I happy to admit AROS was first whit gallium, sometimes not having access to outdated source code, forces developers to move on to newer and better technology, same thing whit MorphOS, they are using TinyGL (faster then MiniGL), AROS/MorphOS has been testing what’s possible, and AmigaOS4.1 is soon to follow.

olegil 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 21:05:13
#209 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Probably seems strange, but I actually think the diversity is good. Competition is always good. Mud slinging and snide remarks, however...

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 23:00:38
#210 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

well, doesnt seem strange to me.

jingof 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 23:06:03
#211 ]

@opi

Quote:
You, being new here, have to understand the dynamic of a *miga community.

Cut down on sarcasm, it's not helping here.

Opi.. imo, yours is an important general observation.. So, let me give you a counter point of view..

As new members introduce themselves, we can't be telling them how they should change as they walk in the door. I mean, this community epitomizes sarcasm.. So, should we be surprised that we solicit that very response?

There is no question, the Amiga community is perceived (rightfully) as having a chip on its shoulder. We are the ones that need to change, and we are hardly in a position to demand change out of those who seek to join our ranks, as a prerequisite for admission.

Cod3r made no commitments to anyone. He simply asked a question and requested feedback in a friendly manner. He was meet with sarcasm and scorn (by a few), and a demand that HE change. And yet no one sees a problem with this?

We need to be introspective here. When someone as friendly in their opening as Cod3r can't introduce himself and his ideas to this community without being brought to a high level of frustration in a matter of hours, is shamed into unwillingness to show this thread, and is backed into a defensive stance from the outset.. Well, we need to stop asking what that says about them...

Perhaps we've all been members of this community too long, that we've forgotten what it is like to not know the history. Put yourself in the shoes of an outsider looking in. How reasonable is it for us to expect them to change and understand us before their first posting? Or else catch the wrath of the Amiga community for their "ignorance".

Last edited by jingof on 16-Jul-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Last edited by jingof on 16-Jul-2012 at 11:11 PM.

noXLar 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 23:19:40
#212 ]
Cult Member

@Cod3r

i'm sorry for the delay, im at work as a seaman, the network administrator has blocked amigaworld.net and so much others, so using only gsm/edge when available.

yes.. back to the amiga stuff:)

im do not have any specific software apps that i need/want (at the moment)
but since i have come back too the amiga scene i would like to help the community the best i can, i don't have any coding skills.. only desktop OS hobby.. but did some raytracing and music back in the days..

having a new coder in the scene is god, and you said you did not have OS4 or NG amiga.. so if you did, maybe we all here can benefit from this.

have you looked at this sites?

AmigaBounty.net

here is plenty software demands..

and this site:

http://www.power2people.org/projects/overview/

it's mainly for Aros.. but the OS4 could benefit for this too.

you see the Open Source Directory Magellan there.

i badly want DirectoryOpus Magellan on my os4.1 ppc.. but the bounty is not ready yet. Is this something you could do if it was ready? if you not know what kind of software Dopus is? it's a replacement for workbench,(like a launcher on android) you get a cool filelister system, with support for ftp and many other stuff.. the whole code is in 68k i heard it's based on C++ with some assembly code in it.. i'm not sure..

but, having a new coder with us is a good start.

maybe others care for some drivers and stuff.. right now i just can't remember what i need for my 460ex amiga.

adrianbrowne 
Posted on 16-Jul-2012 23:22:13
#213 ]

@Franko
What franko said I agree 100 per cent.Whatever comes of this project well done.Interested to see what you come up with.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 1:29:21
#214 ]

Okay everyone,

I have the verdict regarding the project.

Here's the story:

Today, before lunch I asked my immediate supervisor if I could take some pics of the prototype. He replied, "You can take pictures and video of the screen, but not the hardware, because that hardware is a special run for one of our clients. It is not intended to be marketed to the general public." I said okay, fine. I was going to wait until lunchtime, and then do the pics and video of the screen while the board was in operation. Lunch time arrived, but before I could do it, my supervisor asked me to come with him to talk with the president.

The president asked me about my project, and I told him that I made "an emulator for a 1980's computer from Commodore, based on the Motorola 68000." He asked me, "Is all of the code your own work?" I told him that the firmware and the bootstrap was all mine, the most of the FPGA code and some of the Aros code was mine, the rest was already there. He then asked, "What license is the source code available under? GPL? BSD?" I then told him that part of the FPGA code was GPL, while Aros was APL. He said, "Affero or Apache Public License?", I replied that Aros was a custom license.

He then replied, "Unfortunately, I cannot allow you to display our hardware running ANY code that isn't licensed under an OSI recognized license, for legal reasons." He then proceeded, "Imagine if an IBM engineer posted a video on YouTube of an IBM machine running OS X from Apple? Apple's legal team would file a lawsuit against IBM within 10 minutes of it going live."

He then went on to say that if I made my own OS or software of whatever, they would offer it on the company FTP for our customers, but it would have to be ALL my code or under an OSI license, no exceptions. He then said that he thought it was a nice concept and that I am a talented programmer, and perhaps I should consider making a project that I could call my own.

So now I have to find something GPL to run on the prototype, write my own OS (i'll be done when Hell is done freezing over) or scrap everything.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome... I'm at a blank.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 1:29:35
#215 ]
Elite Member

@noXLar

Id rather let the guy do what he is interested in instead making demands from the start on.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 1:39:55
#216 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

I feared that it was Not so Easy. But i think its Not all Lost. In respect to Licensing there was a discussion on aros dev list. And perhaps its Good to Confront them with a Real Life Situation, where a Company might want to use aros. Also there is nö legal threat in using aros, like it would be using Mac os. Thats misunderstanding. APL Even if i dont know the Details is an Open license.

Sorry for the capitalising. Waiting from an iPad with a Dumb spellcheck i dont know to Turn off.

terminills 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 1:43:07
#217 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

The APL is a MPL v 1.1 variant license.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 1:53:34
#218 ]

@noXLar

I have looked at www.power2people.org several times in the past. I just was too lazy to really go about claiming anything, because my job is quite demanding. But honestly, I actually have completed a thing or two on that list a long time ago, just didn't feel like the amount there was worth it. Plus, I was just doing things to keep my skills up.

If anyone really cares about it, I guess I could probably just toss it out there.

Quote:

noXLar wrote:
@Cod3r

i'm sorry for the delay, im at work as a seaman, the network administrator has blocked amigaworld.net and so much others, so using only gsm/edge when available.

yes.. back to the amiga stuff:)

im do not have any specific software apps that i need/want (at the moment)
but since i have come back too the amiga scene i would like to help the community the best i can, i don't have any coding skills.. only desktop OS hobby.. but did some raytracing and music back in the days..

having a new coder in the scene is god, and you said you did not have OS4 or NG amiga.. so if you did, maybe we all here can benefit from this.

have you looked at this sites?

AmigaBounty.net

here is plenty software demands..

and this site:

http://www.power2people.org/projects/overview/

it's mainly for Aros.. but the OS4 could benefit for this too.

you see the Open Source Directory Magellan there.

i badly want DirectoryOpus Magellan on my os4.1 ppc.. but the bounty is not ready yet. Is this something you could do if it was ready? if you not know what kind of software Dopus is? it's a replacement for workbench,(like a launcher on android) you get a cool filelister system, with support for ftp and many other stuff.. the whole code is in 68k i heard it's based on C++ with some assembly code in it.. i'm not sure..

but, having a new coder with us is a good start.

maybe others care for some drivers and stuff.. right now i just can't remember what i need for my 460ex amiga.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 2:00:19
#219 ]

@wawa

No worries about the caps. They were more positive and supportive than I would have imagined, but that damned non-GPL license seems like it triggered a reaction in him. His facial expression even changed when I said it was a custom license. It went from a bright, inquisitive smile to a lawyer-like serious mood in 5 milliseconds.

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Cod3r

I feared that it was Not so Easy. But i think its Not all Lost. In respect to Licensing there was a discussion on aros dev list. And perhaps its Good to Confront them with a Real Life Situation, where a Company might want to use aros. Also there is nö legal threat in using aros, like it would be using Mac os. Thats misunderstanding. APL Even if i dont know the Details is an Open license.

Sorry for the capitalising. Waiting from an iPad with a Dumb spellcheck i dont know to Turn off.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 2:12:59
#220 ]

@jingof

Thanks for saying that. A moderator of the site laying a heavy-handed smackdown on a new member, insisting that I "learn how to act 'round here" is out-of-pocket, if you ask me.

I'm an intelligent and civilized human being, I don't need lessons on how to act towards other human beings. Disagreements are part of human nature. It is how you handle them that is important.

I almost question if he's got the right job. If my responses were taken as I wrote them, I think most would agree that everyone had already sorted out our own issues and came under one accord before that message was even written.

I guess anyone else here can be sarcastic but the new guy...

Quote:

jingof wrote:
@opi

Quote:
You, being new here, have to understand the dynamic of a *miga community.

Cut down on sarcasm, it's not helping here.

Opi.. imo, yours is an important general observation.. So, let me give you a counter point of view..

As new members introduce themselves, we can't be telling them how they should change as they walk in the door. I mean, this community epitomizes sarcasm.. So, should we be surprised that we solicit that very response?

There is no question, the Amiga community is perceived (rightfully) as having a chip on its shoulder. We are the ones that need to change, and we are hardly in a position to demand change out of those who seek to join our ranks, as a prerequisite for admission.

Cod3r made no commitments to anyone. He simply asked a question and requested feedback in a friendly manner. He was meet with sarcasm and scorn (by a few), and a demand that HE change. And yet no one sees a problem with this?

We need to be introspective here. When someone as friendly in their opening as Cod3r can't introduce himself and his ideas to this community without being brought to a high level of frustration in a matter of hours, is shamed into unwillingness to show this thread, and is backed into a defensive stance from the outset.. Well, we need to stop asking what that says about them...

Perhaps we've all been members of this community too long, that we've forgotten what it is like to not know the history. Put yourself in the shoes of an outsider looking in. How reasonable is it for us to expect them to change and understand us before their first posting? Or else catch the wrath of the Amiga community for their "ignorance".

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle