Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Hypex:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 11 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 21 mins ago
 allegewould:  7 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 15:29:38
#281 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

there is certainly nothing "groundbreaking" on all "amiganoid" platforms right now. The best direction/idea in my view is aeros with the combining of Aros and Linux. And Linux would be my personal preferred direction.

SMP is implemented on no platform right now but at least the basics in Aros are there. So that could be a first challenge to you

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 15:47:19
#282 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Quote:
Why pay to have custom hardware made, when you could have made external interfaces/dongles and software drivers to accomplish the same result? Waste of resources for the sake of vanity, if you ask me. Or maybe the organizers of the project just don't know better.

this and the following couple of comments its hard to disagree with..

is your flick now online?

Last edited by wawa on 18-Jul-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Cod3r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:03:35
#283 ]

@OlafS25

I agree 100%. An optimized Linux kernel, without all the cruft of Xservers etc, would be ideal. Aeros does stimulate my interest, but the owner (I use the term loosely) says the source isn't available. BTW, I wonder how can an individual close open source? I'll leave that one where it is...

Mac OS X is nothing but a custom GUI + API slapped on top of a Mach (BSD-like) kernel. Amiga should have long done this to stay competitive. And portable.

I'll be honest, i'm not even sure if could incorporate such a thing, at least without help. I'd need to research. Lots.

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Cod3r

there is certainly nothing "groundbreaking" on all "amiganoid" platforms right now. The best direction/idea in my view is aeros with the combining of Aros and Linux. And Linux would be my personal preferred direction.

SMP is implemented on no platform right now but at least the basics in Aros are there. So that could be a first challenge to you

Cod3r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:06:27
#284 ]

@wawa

The video is up... http://youtu.be/mrBvJozVpcA

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Cod3r

[quote]

is your flick now online?

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:12:17
#285 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

I would recommend you to directly contact Pascal (I can pm you his email). He is the creator of the distribution. As far as I know he works on it for 18 months. I have already a agreement with him to work together because I want a kind of Aros desktop similar to KDE or Gnome that can be used as alternative on Linux distributions (that is my idea) and he thinks that is possible. He is certainly open to work together with you.

gtmooya 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:15:52
#286 ]

@Cod3r

Yes to Power not 68k for me, but all depends on spec/price. The market is might be getting too crowded though...

AmigaONE X1000 rolling out now (albeit slowly)
Sam460/AmigaONE 500
Sam440 available again
AmigaONE netbook maybe soon?

Competition is good for the consumer, companies with the weakest offering ultimately loss out.

I would say yes and good luck!

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:17:14
#287 ]

@Cod3r
Hi,

i can't close opensource. But i can keep additions (not changes) for me, if I like. Else we would have everything from Apple available too..
If I like.

I like working with others, I like freely sharing with others, I don't like seeing others doing commercial stuff with my work. At least if they try it alone..

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:21:07
#288 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

I would recommend that you two both get in direct contact to discuss it...

I am pretty sure that you both can agree on it

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jul-2012 at 04:22 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:24:19
#289 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Cod3r wrote:
@OlafS25

My friend, I don't want or need their sources. They haven't done anything to make anyone in the industry stand up and notice. In case you haven't noticed, nearly every desktop OS has progressed far beyond what Amiga OS and MorphOS can do.

They have a market of sentimental old Amiga users, but no newcomers are impressed, I guarantee you that.

They can sell to those who like the Amiga OS. There is nothing wrong with that. It just isn't groundbreaking.....

ah you do realize that we are all here because we 'like Amiga OS' right

'Ground breaking' like 1985 no but we are still here enjoying our favourite OS and developing it AND who you calling old

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

wawa 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:33:32
#290 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Quote:
The video is up... http://youtu.be/mrBvJozVpcA

looks rather cool, im not very familiar with atari, so cannot make much of those benchmarks, but ~700 speed of atari-st is definitely something!

is it too much to demand if you made a video running your fork of aros too?
remember there are aros68k nightles online, that might be much more advanced than what you might use if your sources are few months old. aros is making quite a progress, y know;)

edit: damn forum formatting, really annoying..

Last edited by wawa on 18-Jul-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 18-Jul-2012 at 04:34 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:34:07
#291 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

The problem whit that is we lose the Amiga identity in the process, and up as another Unix or Linux system.

MacOSX is a different OS then MacOS9 was, and in some ways, I believe MacOS lost something in the process, MacOSX is absolutely not as clean as it was.

I’m for slow and steady improvements, and I see nothing wrong whit reinventing something if it makes it better, it is not just about making money, if it was then it probably not be interested.

I agree whit you that using Freescale reference designs, might cut costs a lot, ACube-Systems uses modified Freescale references designs. A-EON gets someone else to do deign and manufacturing and that’s maybe way costs are higher.

xe54 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:39:19
#292 ]

@Cod3r

Funny that you mention Haiku...

A long time ago (around the turn of the century), when Amiga was striving to stay relevant, they were shopping around for a pre-built software architecture on which to base the next generation of Amiga OS.

Many different platforms were reviewed, with some compelling arguments for all.

The three shortlisted platforms to take the OS into the future were :

BeOS
Linux PPC
and QNX

BeOS was famously influenced by AmigaOS3 and many of the underlying concepts were created as extensions of the limitations imposed by AmigaOS at the time - from datatypes to metadata. The only concept that they shouldn't have copied was the single user issue that restricted the usefulness of the system to individual users!

As BeOS was so advanced and mimicked the Amiga's sense of being a creative "Multimedia Machine", it was the number one choice.

Unfortunately due to politics, greed and egos, Amiga instead chose QNX whose real time OS was relatively unknown outside of embedded systems. For whatever reasons, no software was ever written for this AmigaNG OS. RIM use QNX to this day so it may have been a good fit had things worked out.

Of course BeOS could not support the development of the hardware and software that they had spent so many years perfecting, and after turning steve jobs away with a ridiculous price for the use of BeOS for their new Mac OS, they gave up the hardware business and soon after, with the proliferation of Microsoft software in offices and on pre-builds, they finally threw in the towel for the software too.

BeOS sources were partly released which led to the open source effort to rebuild the OS named Haiku.

You are correct in the fact that there is not enough software to make Haiku useable for daily life - but it is well catered for web browsers, hi-def multimedia playback and DEV tools, so is on par with Amiga (or better off even : java).

I think in the future as more and more apps become internet based, with storage in the cloud, these differences will be less relevant. This is why it is so important to make sure that all the protocols, interpretters and drivers for communicating with networks and the internet are so critical for the future.

One of the original AmigaOS developers created a language 15 years ago with this vision in mind. It is called REBOL and augments the power of networking with realtime protocols. Had this been part of the NG vision for Amiga we would be living in a time where Amiga would not only have remained relevant, but would have led this revolution a decade ago.

There are many sad tales like this in Amiga folklore.

The most important thing that I believe you have raised to this forum is the idea of a specification - a blueprint - a goal - a vision. A unified agreement on what everybody wants from a platform, and the necessary framework to delegate responsibilities and manage development.

This is something we used to have many moons ago.

I believe that broken promises, lies and unrealistic goals from those in control have led us here.

Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas...

It has been a breath of fresh air =)

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 16:42:30
#293 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I do not want to make a debate about better concepts. As I understand him he means using standard "off-the-shelf" hardware instead of creating custom (and expensive) one. That is the opposite to what up to now happens in the OS4 camp. And used hardware is certainly not attracting new developers and users either. People are interested in new concepts, ideas that were not there up to now. I come again to aeros what I think is one of the most innovative ideas up to now and that can attract people. He also speaks of that not everyone reinvents every wheel. I discussed that with some of the MorphOS team here in another thread and the answer was clear... no interest. Hyperion is right now earning enough with the existing base so they are not interested either. At the end everyone will do its "own" thing and coexist. It is not what I would have preferred but it is reality.

amigadave 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 17:19:21
#294 ]

@cod3r,

We might not be groundbreaking compared to mainstream computing, but the fact that there are so many of us "old sentimental" users still working on Amiga inspired platforms is truly amazing. What other platform that has had it's parent company cease to exist has done as much as the Amiga community?

You are justified in being interested in the Amiga above and beyond the Atari, as it surely is and was a far superior platform than the Atari and I dare say that there are far more remaining Amiga users than Atari users, and for good reason. The Amiga is far more interesting and capable.

There may not be many non-Amiga users who find the few Amiga inspired "Next Gen" platforms interesting, but there are a few current Amiga Next Gen users who have zero previous Amiga experience.

Last edited by amigadave on 18-Jul-2012 at 05:19 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 17:51:45
#295 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

pure lunacy if you ask me. whats common for amiga addicts must be some sort of yet to be discovered mental disorder.

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 18:46:40
#296 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Quote:
The video is up...

Looks fast and compatible.

Benchmark results are little bit strange (maybe I read it wrong):
Dhryston scores 8368 Dhrystones (4.76 DMIPS - roughly 68030 25 MHz performance or 68000 60 MHz)

Kronos scores 3.4? (68000 8 MHz performance)

Gembench scores 2167x ST performance.

Difference between these results is interesting.

Cod3r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 19:07:47
#297 ]

@OlafS25

Sure, you can PM me his info. I just had a talk with someone and i'm really inspired to get something going.

BTW, nice work on your distro.

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Cod3r

I would recommend you to directly contact Pascal (I can pm you his email). He is the creator of the distribution. As far as I know he works on it for 18 months. I have already a agreement with him to work together because I want a kind of Aros desktop similar to KDE or Gnome that can be used as alternative on Linux distributions (that is my idea) and he thinks that is possible. He is certainly open to work together with you.

Cod3r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 19:08:57
#298 ]

@gtmooya

I agree with you. And thanks.

Quote:

gtmooya wrote:
@Cod3r

Yes to Power not 68k for me, but all depends on spec/price. The market is might be getting too crowded though...

AmigaONE X1000 rolling out now (albeit slowly)
Sam460/AmigaONE 500
Sam440 available again
AmigaONE netbook maybe soon?

Competition is good for the consumer, companies with the weakest offering ultimately loss out.

I would say yes and good luck!

Cod3r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 19:10:19
#299 ]

@phoenixkonsole

I totally understand-You are absolutely right. I wouldn't want anyone selling my self-made code either. That was not my intent. I will be in contact with you.

Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
@Cod3r
Hi,

i can't close opensource. But i can keep additions (not changes) for me, if I like. Else we would have everything from Apple available too..
If I like.

I like working with others, I like freely sharing with others, I don't like seeing others doing commercial stuff with my work. At least if they try it alone..

Cod3r 
Posted on 18-Jul-2012 19:13:49
#300 ]

@klx300r

I do understand. I like it too. Really.

I just think I could "bump it up" a bit...

Regarding old, heck-Unix is even older. It just managed to stay relevant, but it too has its flaws.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle