Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 Matt3k:  29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  40 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  First round goes to Hyperion
Register To Post

PosterThread
umisef 
Re: First round goes to Hyperion
Posted on 27-Jun-2007 10:03:08
#1 ]

@COBRA

Quote:
I know someone who's doing it right now.

That takes care of one of the requirements. Let me know when she has finished, thus having demonstrated matching the other. Or let me know when the effort gets abandoned (like so many attempts before), thus establishing the failure to meet the second requirement.

Quote:
How could an OS be useful if you can't even buy it?

According to Hyperion, it was completed and released over two years ago. People supposedly have been using the completed (and occasionally updated) AmigaOS4 for the last 30 months.
Tell me, how useful *is* it. What can you do with it that you can't do with another OS, and how does that compare to the things you can't do with it, yet can with other OSs?

Quote:
That's not what I said now is it? I said in the first year of having attractive and affordable hardware available you'd probably sell that much, when there's not yet many software titles available for it.

You also stated that that would constitute a "building market" and would attract software developers, which in turn would produce software, which in turn would attract more users in subsequent years.

1000-2000 units are not a market. Not if you, as a developer, would like to actually eat and sleep under a roof.

And let's not forget, your original claim was 20,000 users by now if hardware had been available from the time of the first OS4 release. That's 3 years. You have just conceded that the first year, you would not expect more than 1000-2000 users. Which leaves you a target of 18,000 to 19,000 in the next two years. In other words, For that, you'd have to maintain something like a 12% monthly growth, every month, for 24 months. Note that that's not growing your market by 12% each month, but your *sales*. Good luck, given that even at the end of those 3 years, you have no market to speak of, and thus nothing to attract developers, and thus no software, and thus nothing to attract more buyers. Because, you know, even your extremely optimistic three year sales prediction accounts for no more than *one day's worth* of Apple pre-Christmas sales.
Think about it. At the end of those three years, and assuming that all the units you sold were still functional and in use, a developer could choose to target your AmigaOS system, or Mac computers sold on December 19th, 2006 --- and either way, their potential market would be the same size.
Of course, in reality, any software that runs on the 2006/12/19 Macs is likely to also run on the 2006/12/18 and the 2006/12/20 Macs, while the AmigaOS market is, well, it...

Quote:
And considering all the constant whining of people in the forums, crying for new hardware to get OS4, you say hardware is not the problem?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. Because "all the constant whining of people" adds up to extremely few people. Which is the problem --- there are too few people who really want to run OS4 to make it a market anyone serious would invest money into. Heck, the most committed proposal I have heard to date was from Tigger, of all people!
If there were a 100,000 people desperately wanting to run OS4, do you really think there wouldn't be hardware available right now? But for 100? Or maybe even 300?

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to HyperionCOBRA27-Jun-2007 10:46:28
          Re: First round goes to Hyperionumisef27-Jun-2007 11:11:51
              Re: First round goes to HyperionCOBRA27-Jun-2007 11:39:56
              Re: First round goes to HyperionAndroxyn27-Jun-2007 11:49:41
                  Re: First round goes to HyperionBit727-Jun-2007 13:29:48

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle