Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 72 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  3 mins ago
 djnick:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 V8:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 hotrod:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
aria 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assets
Posted on 25-Feb-2019 5:26:00
#1 ]

@Nonefornow

Quote:
OK. So maybe no laws were broken and there are no privacy concerns. But I am still unclear as to why Michele (or whoever) would release those e-mails with some attachments to a news organization (amiga-news.de) rather than sending them privately to Jens and say something like - here is the proof that Amiga Forever can distribute P96. I consider Michele a reasonable guy, but this looks odd. And again there could be something behind I do not fully understand.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong questions.

Jens knew about the agreement all the time, he had seen those emails before he acquired P96. He even told Mike that he knew that Cloanto had that license for emulation purposes. Everything changed when Hyperion got involved, and Jens became an extension of Hyperion in the war against Cloanto. Tobias and Alexander made the mistake of signing a contract drafted by Ben Hermans (the P96 sale to Jens), in which they stated that there was no previous license, and now we have this mess. Another case of developers saying "I was so naive, I just signed". Jens could now even use this to ask his money back from Tobias and Alexander. Except that he had also told some people that he knew about the agreement before it was executed, so he can't really blame them.

As for disclosing that email exchange to the public, Mike had informed Tobias and Alexander before the footnote was added to the 2001 amigaforever.com news item. As required by law, private details and everything not related to the business part of the case was removed.

Ben Hermans is behind everything. Just like he registered the trademark "Amiga Forever", he also assisted with the license that Jens got for the "Commodore" logo, and in making Jens that appealing proposition of "you won't have to pay for any ROMs" (Amiga, or otherwise). They are challenging Cloanto on all fronts, just because Cloanto stood up and asked a question about the interpretation of the Settlement Agreement, which Hyperion had refused to answer.

And after doing all of this, both Ben and Jens depict in their respective (and very similar and coordinated) press releases how Cloanto is litigious. Crazy, isn't it? Imagine being a developer, and a belligerent lawyer registers your product name, and then says that you are "litigious"...

Last edited by aria on 25-Feb-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsgregthecanuck25-Feb-2019 10:58:21
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsOlafS2525-Feb-2019 12:09:38
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsmatthey25-Feb-2019 17:12:48
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsNonefornow25-Feb-2019 18:27:53
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsRob25-Feb-2019 20:33:20
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsribdevil25-Feb-2019 20:42:45
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsBigD25-Feb-2019 21:40:37
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsNonefornow26-Feb-2019 15:47:42
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsHypex26-Feb-2019 16:14:11
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsPetah26-Feb-2019 23:39:09
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsmegol25-Feb-2019 22:02:02
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetskolla26-Feb-2019 4:58:50
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsOlafS2526-Feb-2019 8:43:46
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsPetah26-Feb-2019 13:28:37
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsBigD26-Feb-2019 14:01:57
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsLou26-Feb-2019 14:18:12
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc. assetsnumber625-Feb-2019 14:17:08

PosterThread
cgutjahr 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 23:02:07
#1 ]
Cult Member

@Nonefornow

Quote:

But I am still unclear as to why Michele (or whoever) would release those e-mails with some attachments to a news organization (amiga-news.de) rather than sending them privately to Jens and say something like - here is the proof that Amiga Forever can distribute P96.

Jens knows those emails - he already stated so in public (on amiga-news.de's comment section) and confirmed it via mail when I asked him for a statement to include in the news item: he says he's already seen them more than a year ago.

But that didn't stop him from claiming Cloanto was distributing pirated copies of P96 apparently, which is probably the reason (just speculating here - I don't know Mike's motivation) that they were released to the public: so everybody can draw his own conclusions.

And as #6 already pointed out: those mails were not released to *us*, they were published on amigaforever.com. Mike simply dropped us a mail notifying us of the update.

Top | Parent

PosterThread
number6 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 21:30:11
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Nonefornow

It actually appeared on the AmigaForever site first, long before the story on AN.

Including the link to the email. I have no idea what transpired after that.

Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle