Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  3 mins ago
 Birbo:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  30 mins ago
 Frank:  36 mins ago
 broadblues:  37 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, Wii: Tome N°4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, 360, Wii: Tome N°4
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 4:27:57
#101 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
. People being able to afford a new HDTV have the cash to buy a PS3 as well, which also doubles as the best Blu-Ray player
Thinking more on this point I have to disagree. This Christmas we've seen TVs in the 38-42" sizes in the $500-$700 range. Last year these sets were nearly twice as expensive, around $1,200. HDTVs are getting cheaper and this is allowing more people to buy them. Though if someone spends $500 on a TV it doesn't mean they have another $300 around for Blu-Ray. It's more likely they'd have $100 for a Blu-Ray player and they could pick that up too this year. Or let's say they do have the $300 around for the PS3 for Blu-Ray would they want a PS3 and 0 movies or spend $300 for a Blu-Ray player, even if slightly less quality, and 12 movies to enjoy with their friends and family? I'd think the later is an attractive offer. As Blu-Ray and HDTV moves more and more into the mainstream consumers expect less expensive options.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 8:01:20
#102 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

I think Microsoft is one of the biggest unemployers in history, they killed a lot of good efforts through monopoly abuse over the years. For example the Amiga community experienced this first hand during the Gateway era.

With regard to not being able to "afford" a PS3, such people at this point I think are less interesting to Sony, they also need to buy games and movies to compensate for Sony's hardware investments. Once at the hardware break even point, they become more interesting consumers.

Hammer 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 11:10:46
#103 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Lintel/Wintel cloners benefited against anti-clone Apple style PC vendors .

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 12:40:48
#104 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I think Microsoft is one of the biggest unemployers in history, they killed a lot of good efforts through monopoly abuse over the years. For example the Amiga community experienced this first hand during the Gateway era.
I know you'd love to blame Microsoft for the failure of Amiga and BeOS. But, take a look at the sods in management. Commodore had the C64, one of the best sellingest computers, they had a gem in the Amiga and squandered it. BE tried to compete against Apple and lost so they switched guns to Microsoft, an even bigger target? Leadership was Be was nearly as crappy as Commodore.

wegster 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 16:38:37
#105 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

MGS4 > R2 IMO, by far. R2 is far too linear on gameplay.

After your comments on Resistance: Fall of Man I am surprised you bought this at all.

Not surprising to me, but that's ok. Re-read what I said about R1. It's a good game, it wasn't the be-all, end-all, Halo beater that you claimed it to be.

Quote:

In any case you are comparing two very different games, MGS4 is considered to the best of the popular series and best game of its gerne. The R2 single player campaign is of course linear as its a linear story, but huge maps with lots of onscreen activity though, tons of fun for me. How far have you come so far? Like I told you with regard to Resistance 1 the best parts are the later parts of the campaign (back then you "reviewed" the game without finishing the campaign, I like the building up tension approach).

If the game isn't great when playing 50%-75% of it, that just proves it's not GOTY or similar material or 'excellence.'

It also doesn't matter what *I* choose to compare. They are both shooters. Statements about 'of course linear' are fluff. MGS4 is less linear in nature.

R2 - I'm at the 'swarm.' Work doesn't leave me much time of late for much of anything, so I haven't touched it since.

Quote:
From many technical perspective Resistance 2 is more impressive, especially the online functionality.

In the end, a game can be 'more impressive from a technical perspective,' although I'm not seeing that, nor is it really worth debating, but in the end, the merit of a game is really - is it FUN?

Both games are fun, but MGS4 was impressive. R2, in campaign mode, by comparison, is decent, not great, regardless of you posting screenshots, claiming 'it will get better' or anything else.

RE: Killzone - yep, PS3s own little Duke Nukem. One would hope by now it looks impressive enough, after so much hype and missed release dates. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it, but I don't believe anyone was asking for some unrelated (to MGS4 and R2) PS3 advertising...it would have been better in a separate post, as it's got little to do with either of the above games.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 17:54:29
#106 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
Not surprising to me, but that's ok. Re-read what I said about R1. It's a good game, it wasn't the be-all, end-all, Halo beater that you claimed it to be.

Don't put words into my mouth.

Although I think Halo 3 is considerably over-hyped (just like Gears), I think even Call of Duty 4 on the 360 which is equal to the PS3 port is a better game.

But yes Resistance 2 I find to be a far more interesting and fun game than Halo 3 or even Call of Duty 4.

Quote:
R2 - I'm at the 'swarm.

The best parts are still ahead of you.

Quote:
If the game isn't great when playing 50%-75% of it, that just proves it's not GOTY or similar material or 'excellence.'

You prefer the first level to be the early parts to be the best of the game like Crysis and other games? Also try the co-op campaign before reviewing this one.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 17:56:37
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:

Yes thanks IBM, Microsoft however did everything to prevent competition, they rather make developers and users dependent on their closed technology instead of fully adopting open standards and leaving alternative options.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 17:58:05
#108 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I know you'd love to blame Microsoft for the failure of Amiga and BeOS. But, take a look at the sods in management.

Amiga under Jim Collas was promising (the QNX Neutrino / MMC plans).

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Dec-2008 23:43:07
#109 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
MikeB wrote:
@BrianK
Quote:
I know you'd love to blame Microsoft for the failure of Amiga and BeOS. But, take a look at the sods in management.
Amiga under Jim Collas was promising (the QNX Neutrino / MMC plans).
Exciting plans I was looking forward to them. Too bad Commodore management drove the company and the Amiga out well before Jim was even around.

wegster 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 0:42:53
#110 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Don't put words into my mouth.

Although I think Halo 3 is considerably over-hyped (just like Gears), I think even Call of Duty 4 on the 360 which is equal to the PS3 port is a better game.

But yes Resistance 2 I find to be a far more interesting and fun game than Halo 3 or even Call of Duty 4.

I don't believe paraphrasing, without intentionally misleading, is 'putting words in your mouth.' The context is pretty similar to what you've claimed. You think R1 is/was a great game, better than 'many other platform hits.'

COD4 > R2 for me, so far, so, no agreement there.

RE: best parts/early/later etc. I'd *prefer" a game to be, well, consistently *great*, no matter start, middle, or end of game Failing that, sure, some parts of a game can get better, or worse, but yes, I do expect after playing through 50% of a game, it to be a valid representation of the gameplay and quality, etc.

I don't have any plans to 'review' it in the level of details I'd prefer to..simply no time. But, if I d anything with detail, sure, I'll give online/MP a spin beforehand.

Lest any of the above be taken out of context, I like R2. I just don't love it (campaign mode) - too linear for my taste in general. Graphically, it's decent, if dark, and there's a lot of movement onscreen at once. I don't have frame rate issues that I've noticed yet. It's just not GOTY material, for me.

Last edited by wegster on 09-Dec-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 8:37:14
#111 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Hammer

Quote:

Yes thanks IBM,

One should thank Compaq (now HP) not IBM in cloning the X86 PC. IBM tried to stop Compaq’s X86 PC cloning biz. IBM’s last attempt in controlling X86 PC market is with PS2, XGA and MCA standards.

Quote:

Microsoft however did everything to prevent competition, they rather make developers and users dependent on their closed technology instead of fully adopting open standards and leaving alternative options.

Fragmented 68K PC market is no match against a unified X86 PC standard i.e. it’s like fragmented Europe vs United States in WW2.

Microsoft benefited from this X86 PC hardware standard.

In the server market, Microsoft doesn’t have the dominate position yet X86 based systems beaten the old-school *nix based systems. Don’t forget Intel Corporation i.e. a semiconductor “superpower” corporate entity.

Last edited by Hammer on 09-Dec-2008 at 08:42 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 12:32:26
#112 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
COD4 > R2 for me, so far, so, no agreement there.

OK, but COD4 is also heavily pre-scripted and linear.

Quote:
I'd *prefer" a game to be, well, consistently *great*, no matter start, middle, or end of game

IMO R2 provides that, but I prefer the game to grow gradually more intense.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 12:37:29
#113 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

IBM allowed Microsoft to sell MS-DOS, for non-IBM platforms. In hind sight that was bad idea for the company. IMO they should have dropped MSDOS altogether from the beginning and go for QNX or should have developed something of their own like OS/2.

Lou 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 12:40:06
#114 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Hammer

IBM allowed Microsoft to sell MS-DOS, for non-IBM platforms. In hind sight that was bad idea for the company. IMO they should have dropped MSDOS altogether from the beginning and go for QNX or should have developed something of their own like OS/2.

At the time, those OS's were non-existent.
IBM hired MS to write a 'dos' but I don't think the contract made MS-DOS exclusive to IBM platforms. It was a contractual oversight I believe.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 12:42:14
#115 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
The PS3 needs a price drop now within this economic state.

Sony is going to cut their workforce by 8,000 employees to cut down costs, twice the amount of people Nintendo employs in total.

SO IMO that's not a good idea.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 12:46:28
#116 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
At the time, those OS's were non-existent.
IBM hired MS to write a 'dos' but I don't think the contract made MS-DOS exclusive to IBM platforms. It was a contractual oversight I believe.

Microsoft did not write DOS, they bought Quick and DIrty OS from a developer who copied parts of CP/M for 25K dollars.

IBM released their first PC in 1981, in 1980 the QNX project was started and the first release was available by 1982. With IBM dedicating some resources QNX would have been a viable option.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 13:09:08
#117 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
MikeB wrote:
@BrianK
Quote:
Sony is going to cut their workforce by 8,000 employees to cut down costs, twice the amount of people Nintendo employs in total.

This actually makes the PS3 ripe for a price cut. Sony's cash is in services and software. The hardware model is going the way of the printer, sell it cheap and make money on the cartridges. For the PS3 this means the more PS3's you can get into consumer hands the wider the base for games and Blu-Ray. In order to profit on the software Sony needs a larger base of users to buy the content. With a hard economy people are more likely to invest in the low cost solutions (Wii,360). This creates large Wii and 360 base. When the economy picks back up consumers already have a platform for games and movies they are going to be worried about spending still and play more conservative, use what they have, not buy something seperate and new PS3.

Last edited by BrianK on 09-Dec-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 9-Dec-2008 16:28:15
#118 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

Well, it wont stand a chance against xbox 360 then.. Also remember that Sony also profits on people buying games or blueray movies as well..

BrianK 
Posted on 10-Dec-2008 1:02:31
#119 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Actually the # I've seen reported is 16,000. 8,000 are full time and 8,000 are part timers. Though strangely even a story I heard on the radio had the opening line 'Sony cuts 8,000 jobs' and listening to the rest of the report it turns out they were the full-time employees only.

wegster 
Posted on 10-Dec-2008 4:07:05
#120 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
OK, but COD4 is also heavily pre-scripted and linear.

Yes, it is, and way too short in campaign mode...but...for the sake of attempting a normal discussion with you, what do you prefer with R2 over COD4?

My impressions are yes, they're both linear..Haven't played COD4 recently enough for play by play of 'which is moreso,' but recollection seems R2 is, if not by a huge amount.

COD4 story and variety of missions was quite good. I think COD4 story > R2, but..completed COD4, not R2 yet. Loved the bombing mission for some variety in there, haven't seen that in R2, although that may be 'yet' depending on rest of game.

?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle