Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  1 min ago
 minator:  13 mins ago
 pixie:  34 mins ago
 zipper:  46 mins ago
 Birbo:  53 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Posted on 28-Dec-2007 22:26:05
#141 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

http://wiinintendo.net/2007/12/28/the-wii-officially-hacked/

Time to start an WiiROS bounty!

Profile     Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 28-Dec-2007 22:46:35
#142 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Yes, one of many aspects from the game. I think often custom music isn't as good as in-game music (more suiting, Snakeball looks very disco, I wouldn't like disco in a creepy game). You should play games like Uncharted, the music changes based on events and in Uncharted this certainly adds to the great atmosphere!

Well, I think that the whole custom music thing is more suited towards online gaming. I wouldn't want to have my own music in a single player game, the game director almost always knows what should be on better than me. However, action game online, killing friends? Well, the in-game music gets rather tiring after a while (UT2k4 comes to mind). Hurling rockets while blasting some Priest or Kreator or whatever... mmmm!

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Dec-2007 23:38:07
#143 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

You can already use custom sound tracks for Super Stardust HD, I think the devs should evaluate the usefulness and desirability on a game to game basis, if you really hate the in-game music maybe turn down the volume of in-game music and put on a CD or something if possible?

Anyway, custom soundtracks were requested by PS3 users and so a future firmware update is said to add extended functionality in this regard.

Zardoz 
Posted on 28-Dec-2007 23:39:43
#144 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Yeah, not really complaining, personally, I've been using that solution for YEARS...

Perhaps it's useful when all your music is on the same device as your games, I guess.

Last edited by Zardoz on 28-Dec-2007 at 11:40 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 3:55:57
#145 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

You have an interesting style request proof, and when given simply deny it. Your somehow want to claim a holier then thou yet commit the same sins you accuses others of. You've been handed a fig leaf of peace and you knock it down.You continue to fail to be a gentleman and own your behaviors. Instead you up some sort of imaginary ante by furthering more supported accusations and attempt some sort of blackmail and include disrepect for MikeB in it. Obviously you think him unintellient or unable to defend himself that he can't ask for an apology if he's been wronged. MikeB makes lots of good points. He makes mistakes too. Often he does learn. MikeB is a person whom I respect in ways you do not. I don't think him a feeble underling needs a Jiyong Daddy. Sorry to say reason and rational discussion isn't part of your forte. I haven't said this in decades in any discussions but IMO the best solution is for us to best walk away and consider it done. Good day.

Last edited by BrianK on 30-Dec-2007 at 05:25 AM.
Last edited by BrianK on 30-Dec-2007 at 05:20 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 4:00:36
#146 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Yes, one of many aspects from the game. I think often custom music isn't as good as in-game music (more suiting, Snakeball looks very disco, I wouldn't like disco in a creepy game). You should play games like Uncharted, the music changes based on events and in Uncharted this certainly adds to the great atmosphere!
I'm sure we can all name games that have great music and wouldn't want it replaced. I'm sure we can all name games that have crappy music and want it replaced. Also, since we're all individuals I expect the lists won't match exactly. I definitely like the option that I'm not stuck with music I deem crappy.

Quote:
Anyway, custom soundtracks were requested by PS3 users
See PS3 users know good 360 features when they see them. Glad Sony copies.

Last edited by BrianK on 29-Dec-2007 at 04:02 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 4:21:02
#147 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

Quote:
Yeah, not really complaining, personally, I've been using that solution for YEARS...

Perhaps it's useful when all your music is on the same device as your games, I guess.
Even if your music isn't on the same device it is expensive and quite funny looking to have two 7.1 surround sound setups in the living room. One so you can hear the collisions and shots from the game and the other so you can listen to your favorite tunes.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Dec-2007 6:34:07
#148 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Zardoz

Quote:

Even if your music isn't on the same device it is expensive and quite funny looking to have two 7.1 surround sound setups in the living room. One so you can hear the collisions and shots from the game and the other so you can listen to your favorite tunes.

I don't know about two 7.1 surround sound setups, but I probably just buy two of these. It's a lot cheaper and would work about the same.

tomazkid 
Posted on 30-Dec-2007 23:11:18
#149 ]
Team Member

http://www.reevoo.com/ 2007 total grades:

Nintendo Wii 8,78.
Sony PlayStation 3 8,25.
Microsoft Xbox 360 7,65.

BrianK 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 17:05:02
#150 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Strange site indeed it depends which reviews one selectively picks.
Here's an alternative choice.
Microsoft XBOX 360 Elite With 3 Game Pack -9.3
Nintendo Wii with sports - 8.5
PS3 w/ 60GB drive - 7.6

Great criticisms!
Xbox 360 - cant make coffee with it
PS3 - Very bulky and not very easy to carry to another room in the house

I don't know the site to me looks like the typical fanboy site. Some hate one love the other and vice versa. It claims impartial reviews but I seriously question that the site established users are truly impartial. I can get that all here but in higher thread counts.

jiyong 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 18:29:32
#151 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@jiyong

You have an interesting style request proof, and when given simply deny it. Your somehow want to claim a holier then thou yet commit the same sins you accuses others of. You've been handed a fig leaf of peace and you knock it down.You continue to fail to be a gentleman and own your behaviors. Instead you up some sort of imaginary ante by furthering more supported accusations and attempt some sort of blackmail and include disrepect for MikeB in it. Obviously you think him unintellient or unable to defend himself that he can't ask for an apology if he's been wronged. MikeB makes lots of good points. He makes mistakes too. Often he does learn. MikeB is a person whom I respect in ways you do not. I don't think him a feeble underling needs a Jiyong Daddy. Sorry to say reason and rational discussion isn't part of your forte. I haven't said this in decades in any discussions but IMO the best solution is for us to best walk away and consider it done. Good day.

Again, your post is so full of mistakes I have to "defend" myself here. I didn't simply deny all your "proof". I acknowledged the Tretton interview. But for some reason you kept coming back to it while I moved on to Hirai.

You have accused me of things here that simply were not true. I haven't seen that you acknowledged that. The behaviour I see is that you take my post, put it into an extreme and start attacking it from that perspective. You want to call that gentleman behaviour? I would say I have a lot of reasons to be angry with you.

One of my complaints was about the lack of your research when it concerned "negative" news for Sony. Again, I'm not bickering about the Tretton interview. When you wanted to defend your claim concerning Hirai, you point me in the wrong direction and make it look as if I went to the wrong article on purpose.

I don't see MikeB as a feeble underling, but I have seen that MikeB has "complained" about the "atmosphere" here when we discuss the consoles. And I think MikeB also feels he has been treated unfairly here. So why shouldn't I point out I see things that way too?

Sure I don't agree with every line from MikeB, but seeing how he gets attacked on every little futile detail or telling MikeB he is using low tactics to win discussions, isn't it fair I turn the tables for once and let the people see who complain about MikeB that they are committing the same mistakes?

The reason I pick on you is that you claim to be so open minded and neutral. Telling me reason and rational discussion isn't part of my forte is implying that it is part of yours? Why is it that I have to repeat myself so many times here? Is it because I'm wrong and don't want to admit? I don't think so. When I'm proven clearly wrong, I don't have a problem acknowledging it (see Tretton f.i.). When it's still unclear, I won't say sorry. I would say simple rules and I have acted according to them.

You don't have to respond to this, as I know you see things differently. I also responded because you make it look like as if it is only my mistake. I would say you have your own fair share in it too.

But I would say we just entered a very interesting topic. I would love to see your explanation on how it is possible that the PS3 is able to match and sometimes it is even claimed that the PS3 goes beyond the 360 when you claim the 360 has better hardware.

BrianK 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 18:54:43
#152 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
I would say I have a lot of reasons to be angry with you.
I would say you have your own fair share in it too.
Yes I fully agree it takes 2 to make it happen. In post #122 I attempted a peace offering extending apologizes for my actions. Also in the same post I showed I am open to discussing ideas with you without the attacks. It was with your post # 139 that you failed to recognize this. You neither accepted your part or apologizing for your behavior. It was also with this post that you decided the better course was to try some blackmail and force me to apologize for an unsupported, ill defined accusation that my actions were offensive to another. This is why I reacted suchly. I see 2 options at this point. Either you're willing to step up, apologize for your behaviors and get to ideas of discussion? Or you want to continue this tit for tat blame game? Which is it? I offered the peace branch the first time, it was slapped down. It's here again are you able to take it?

Quote:
The reason I pick on you is that you claim to be so open minded and neutral.
If you read my response to you previously on this issue you will see I've never claimed to be such and how I claim I am biased. My advice is recognize your assumptions were wrong. Get to discussing ideas instead of continuing to make accusations and attacks.

Quote:
I would love to see your explanation on how it is possible that the PS3 is able to match and sometimes it is even claimed that the PS3 goes beyond the 360 when you claim the 360 has better hardware.
Since you seem in the last part approachable to discussing ideas I'll attemp this again. I'll approach this in a friendly way thinking you can perhaps be courteous and respectful and want to bury the hatchet. Your reading of the sentence is out of step with it's intent.

Let me explain -- Original statement - 'The 360 did have better hardware and developer support from Microsoft then PS3 had from Sony'. You appear to be reading the sentence something akin to 'The 360 did have better hardware then the PS3 and better developer support then the PS3.'

Let me rephrase to help clarify what I meant and hope the understanding of intent is better communicated. 'The 360 did have better developer tools to support programming and use of the hardware then the PS3 had'. What I mean is the software used by the developers to support the hardware. I hope this rewording better clarifies the point.

Summary: By 'hardware and developer support' I mean the tools the developes use to support, eg program for, the hardware. If anyone read this as 'hardware components and developer support' I hope I've cleared up any misunderstanding.

Last edited by BrianK on 31-Dec-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Last edited by BrianK on 31-Dec-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Last edited by BrianK on 31-Dec-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 2-Jan-2008 13:27:12
#153 ]
Elite Member

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/01/speculation-microsoft-may-integrate-hd-dvd-into-xbox-360/#comments

Rumors continue to swirl about MS licensing 360 technology to Toshiba (and possibly other 3rd party hardware manufacturers) to make an HD DVD player that is also an Xbox 360.

I'm sure a simple firmware updrade and optical drive swap would be all that is necessary for the current 360 models to have an integrated HD DVD player.

I could see MS offering an "upgrade" service for $200. Or for existing users who have the external HD DVD player, send MS your 360 and the HD DVD player and they will only charge $50 to integrate the two by removing the HD DVD drive from it's casing and installing it in place of the internal DVD drive.

Personally, I see this as a win-win for MS and consumers. I'm sure MS could reduce the cost of the current 360 hardware and release an HD DVD enabled/equipped 360 at a price comparable or still slightly less than a PS3.

This would certainly up the ante of the format war for sure. Looks like it's time to dig some trenches...

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Jan-2008 14:20:34
#154 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Rumors continue to swirl about MS licensing 360 technology to Toshiba (and possibly other 3rd party hardware manufacturers) to make an HD DVD player that is also an Xbox 360.
Yeah there's been a few 360/HD DVD rumors about lately.
One was the intergrationed HD DVD player. Early on Microsoft denied this and claimed the load speed of the HD DVD player wasn't up to snuff for gaming usages. However, I'd think this problem would be resolved with time, readers always get faster. With the construct of the PS3 I can see where Microsoft may want to add this to the console.

Another is the one you list that MS is going to license 360 tech to other manufactures. This makes sense from the standpoint that Microsoft isn't a hardware company. Sure they've had a few controllers, keyboards, and cards but their forte has been in OS and software.

Another based on the above is that manufactures will begin intergrating the 360 into their TV sets. I'm not so sure but I can see where Sony could leverage this sort of intergration as they make both TVs and game consoles.

The most recent one is that the 360 Media Center will be shown at the next CES. This supposedly adds over the air TV recording and timeshifted playback. We've seen Sony announce this for the PS3. But perhaps like Divx Sony will announce and Microsoft will implement first.

If any of these come to pass we shall see. None of those items stops the 360 from being a great gaming machine and most any will improve the client inception and capablities.

Lou 
Posted on 2-Jan-2008 14:47:05
#155 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Well, I can easily see MS extending the 360's lifecycle by moving to an integrated HD-DVD drive.

Heck I can even see a Xbox 720 with a quad-core 4+GHz cpu that is backwards compatible with the 360. On the gpu front, a faster gpu with more embedded cache and everything else could also power true 1080p gaming.

Sure people would call it "two 360's duct-taped together" as the Wii has been called "2 Gamecubes ..." but if it works, it works...and it would certainly keep their R&D costs down.

Makes one wonder what Nintendo's next console would be like as well as Sony's. I think we'd then see the most innovation coming from Sony's camp considering the state of things today.

By next Christmas, I think we will start hearing whispers of the 360's successor...and we will know if the Wii "fad" is here to stay...

Also, it seems an addon to the controller to give it some gyro sensing capabilities is on the way as well: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15364/Microsoft-Cooking-Up-an-Enhanced-Xbox-360-Controller/

Last edited by Lou on 02-Jan-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Samwel 
Posted on 2-Jan-2008 23:34:34
#156 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

If the "built-in HD-DVD in 360" rumour is true then the HD war is very far from being
over. It could actually be the boost that HD-DVD needs to get atleast even with
Blu-Ray. It could even win if MicroSoft handles upgrades for the older 360's correctly,
either by allowing the external drive to work as well as the newer internal or by
cheapish upgrades for those that want it.

The problem I see is when games start being used with HD-DVD and not everyone
having it. This could cause anger among some 360 owners I guess.
But an extremely cheap HD-DVD upgrade would help I think.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 3-Jan-2008 0:34:01
#157 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Btw have you seen the latest sales figures from VG Chartz?

It seems 360 sales have stalled a bit, Sony will probably sell about 100 000 more
PS3's than MicroSoft will 360's in the week ending 29th December. What's more
important is the smaller gap in the US for this week.
If Sony can change the US market and sell more than 360 each week it may be the
beginning to the end for 360 this gen I think.

Wii is of course way out there and is selling about the sum of both PS3 and 360.

Also have you seen the market share %? Both Wii and PS3 have eaten away from
the 360. PS3 now above 20%, being bellow 18% in early november.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Jan-2008 20:37:25
#158 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
If Sony can change the US market and sell more than 360 each week it may be the beginning to the end for 360 this gen I think.
Indeed good for the PS3. Japan isn't back yet but I'd expect their 50K unit lead so yes 100K seems like a decent guess. If Sony could have a 100K each week lead then they're 1 2/3 years from over taking the 360. Still a bit off from my end of 2008 estimate but do able. Still, I'm highly doubtful the PS3 will enjoy the lead the PS2 had it's generation.

Leaked US Best Buy launches might be of interest.

Gamer Developer Conference - Nintendo w/ 1200 sqft, Sony w/ 2500 sqft, Microsoft w/ 4800sqft and Epic has 2800 sqft. I hope with that much extra space Microsoft has lots more cool stuff to show off. Gears of War 2 and the 360+DVR are 2 of the rumors.

Last edited by BrianK on 03-Jan-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Samwel 
Posted on 3-Jan-2008 23:19:34
#159 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

I agree with you that Sony will not dominate the market like they did with PS2.
But did anyone (other than Sony maybe) think so? IMHO it's impossible to dominate
any consumer market with the most expensive product when you're in competition
with similar products. No matter if it's better. This has been proven several times in
the past. Especially with the huge difference in price with the Wii and the 360 arcade
compared to PS3.

I think Wii can thank more than half of its sales due to being the cheapest. Not by
being cool or having good games.
IMO the sales Sony is getting from PS3 is nothing short of amazing really. This
shows how big the PlayStation trademark is.
The 360 was alone on the next gen market for a year so their sales aren't that
spectacular IMO. Not bad though. It seems 360 will take a bigger market share this
gen and probably sell some millions more than the original xbox did. Probably above
30 million I would guess. I think PS3 and 360 will have about the same numbers by
the end of 2009.

MazinKaesar 
Posted on 4-Jan-2008 8:26:05
#160 ]

This is my plan for next-gen console... (sorry for bad english!)

I'll wait the next Super Robot Wars game for the Xbox360/PS3 and I'll buy the right console (yes, there's a SRW for the Xbox360 but it's a remake of the one for Gamecube, I've it already).

I think the next SRW will be made for PS3... I don't think I'll buy a Wii 'cause I tried it and I felt the controller uncomfortable. Anyway, I will buy an Xbox360 'cause there are many FPS for this platform.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle