Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 85 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  20 mins ago
 A1200:  45 mins ago
 HammerD:  1 hr ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 slygon:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 MagicSN:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  5 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:18:02
#161 ]
Elite Member

@klesterjr

Quote:

You guys go on hating Christians, Americans, Jews, blacks, homosexuals, and whomever else you feel like hating. It's not a nice way to live...

I'll second that.. I love Christians. The American one's tend to be a bit fatter which makes for a very tender stake... A few potatoes, carrots, BBQ and a slow roast at 200 degrees for a few hours they're mightly tastey.

Profile     Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:20:45
#162 ]
Team Member

@DruidPoet

Nah... The callus on my right wrist states that I spend **WAY** to much time holding a mouse...

BrianK 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:23:55
#163 ]
Elite Member

@Peg

Quote:

I think you've nailed it Nadoom! Religion is something that cannot be mandated. It is something that is "each man for himself" IMHO.

Unfortunately, not all religions back this credo. Fundamentalist Evengelical Christianity believes there is one correct religion, theirs. Not only do the Islams, Jews, and Buddists need saving but the other Christians do too.

Quote:

Most of the people (zealots) who are trying to convert others to their side, I think are not that well read

It depends. Don't think for a second that these people are stupid. Fanatical yes.. Stupid no.

Quote:

I think we all should do some research and be tolerant of one another

This on the surface sounds good. But, how tolerant should we be of the intolerant? Intolerant against intolerance is something I support. Vipers Brood need to be brought out into the sun.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:27:32
# ]

@AMiGR

Never talked to Billsey -- so I don't know him.

I also don't think I was defending him (was I?) -- just putting in my two cents regarding the "anti-Christian" sentiment that seems to keep cropping up!

I reiterate -- I think if you're going to exclude religious content from signatures, that it should apply to ALL religions (including Atheism). However, that's not my call.

@Atheist

I have no intention of debating the existance of God with you. That's not my idea of a "fun date".

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:28:35
#165 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:
I don't know why that makes you laugh, I read it in the Bible.

tell me where cos i have never seen such a passage

it does however state that he gave us freedom of choice and wants us to choose him but will not force us to.

sin entered because we chose to be rebellious

the devil (lucifer) hates and fears us.

Last edited by jkirk on 24-May-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:30:21
# ]

@BrianK
Quote:
I'll second that.. I love Christians. The American one's tend to be a bit fatter which makes for a very tender stake... A few potatoes, carrots, BBQ and a slow roast at 200 degrees for a few hours they're mightly tastey.

Well . . . it's a start, I guess.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:38:09
#167 ]
Team Member

@klesterjr

Actually, anti-christian stuff are *exactly* the same as pro-christian stuff, when shoved down one's throat: Ultra annoying.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:44:56
# ]

@AMiGR

Quote:
Actually, anti-christian stuff are *exactly* the same as pro-christian stuff, when shoved down one's throat: Ultra annoying.

Agreed.

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:47:32
#169 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@klesterjr

i also agree with this assessment.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

nicholas 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:50:34
#170 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@klesterjr

i also agree with this assessment.

So do I. I guess that is because we are all tolerant & open minded individuals.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:50:59
# ]

@klesterjr

I think everyone who believes in god should have the confidence in their faith to keep it private unless called to speak and that everyone who doesn't believe in god should be allowed to rape and pillage. Fair's fair.

You leave us alone, we won't eat you.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:52:00
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Isn't the problem discussions in the wrong discussion group or thread? For example, if the thread is Amiga games and a discussion about Satanism starts to break out this would be the wrong place for it.

I'd say try to stay on threads as much as possible. Things are going to stray it's the nature of humans. If something is grossly out of place then start a new thread on that topic in the correct discussion group. You could even make a posting just letting people know that a new discussion was created for X and please get back to talking about the original subject.

There is a Free For All section -- matters of politics and religions fit there nicely. It is a catch all for everything else that aren't in other discussion groups that are more computer focused. We can all see the icon and the title. If you don't want to discuss Evolution then don't read or comment on that thread.

I'm just confused why people want to make this more complicated then it has to be.

AmigaRocks 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:52:16
#173 ]

@BrianK

Quote:
Fundamentalist Evengelical Christianity believes there is one correct religion, theirs. Not only do the Islams, Jews, and Buddists need saving but the other Christians do too.

Yeah, I know And that just goes against one of the main things our country was founded on. Freedom of Religion. Shame really.

Quote:
Don't think for a second that these people are stupid. Fanatical yes.. Stupid no.

No, I'm not saying "stupid", just narrow minded and not that educated I guess. To read and force your offspring to read only one religious text and disregard the others is stupid! And there is a huge amount of illiteracy here in the south, there really is. Alot of people may go to college, get their degree, what have you, but that doesn't mean they weren't just passed through. It happens all the time here. I noticed it at the college I'm attending and thought, no wonder they want me to teach. Alot of the teachers are completely lazy IMHO and just push the kids through.

I had a rather personal experience with this in my youth (wake up call). I was super smart (or so we thought) and graduating at 15 from high school with a fully paid 4 year scholorship in my future. Of course, then came hormones (and my first rock band ).

I quit school the month of my graduation, was forced to move away and live with my Godparents in another state, they practiced a completely different religion which I was forced to adhere to (really messed me up for awhile) and the school had different grading standards so I had retake 3 years studies (all in 1 year) just to pass their tests. The United States does not have set standard for education. It is determined by each state individually. Now think about it, bible belt territory, yikes! Turns out I am just average after all. Maybe a little highly opinionated (due to compulsive reading habit) thrown in for good measure.

Quote:
But, how tolerant should we be of the intolerant? Intolerant against intolerance is something I support. Vipers Brood need to be brought out into the sun.

Hehe Okay, probably need to lighten up huh Really need to be looking for work today as I am out for the summer and completely broke at the moment

/note to self, or I could just take my dog to the lake

AmigaRocks!!

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:56:15
# ]

@DruidPoet

Quote:

Heh, heh -- works for me!

Actually, I guess it depends on what you mean by that!

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:56:15
#175 ]
Elite Member

@DruidPoet

DruidPoet wrote:
Quote:
I think everyone who believes in god should have the confidence in their faith to keep it private unless called to speak and that everyone who doesn't believe in god should be allowed to rape and pillage. Fair's fair.

I'm having problems with this. Seems even God wants to get into the pillage business. Psalm 137:9 - ' Happy shall he be that takes the little one's and dashes their head against the stones..' Darn that God taking over those w/o faith in him who want to excell at pillaging.

cecilia 
Posted on 24-May-2005 20:46:13
#176 ]
Cult Member

@klesterjr

Quote:

klesterjr wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@treblesix

treblesix wrote:
Y is Billsey so damned quiet, since he started this nonsense in the first place

Quote:

Like all bullies, he starts a fight then backs away to watch the onslaught.

Pathetic.

You guys go on hating Christians, Americans, Jews, blacks, homosexuals, and whomever else you feel like hating. It's not a nice way to live.

I may be one of the few that actually dislikes billsey, but what I really HATE is the constant, unrelenting boring religious agenda.

religion is Private. people flaunting their religion in public are pulling their pants down and showing their underwear. i REALLY would prefer NOT to see "plumber's crack", if you don't mind!

people who are on this agenda feel that they have to recruit in order to justify their beliefs. strangely enough, i'm reminded of some gay people i've known. when some of them feel insecure about their "coming out", invariably, they "see" gay people EVERYWHERE.
and i do mean all over the place.

they interpret all sorts of behavior as proof of gayness. then NEED to feel justified, safe. (naturally, i understand as they suffer horrible abuse, so I'm alot more forgiving of them than the religious kooks. plus, gay people are alot more entertaining).

billsey, like alot of others, want to hide behind the safety of religion. he wants to get a "Pass". and one of the reasons he and others don't like me is because I refuse to play that game. i give no one a pass. claiming religion will not automatically make me think you are a "better" person. BS.

actions speak louder than words and billsey's actions show him to be an "attention whore" (a bone fide internet expression, before someone accuses me of creating a term to intentionally insult someone) and a petulant infant. he wants to be able to say all sorts of stupid things without being called on it.

yes, i find his sig (long and short versions) obnoxious. but i believe a person should be given as much rope as they need to hang themselves. the fact that most people here tell this fellow he's full of S-T when he posts something dumb means things are moving alright.

in case anyone is interested: Atheists in Foxholes

and, btw, my sig is now incredibly relevant!

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 21:56:50
# ]

@cecilia

Fair enough. No one should HAVE to like someone just because they're "one thing" or "another thing".

My background is in art, so my group of friends is very "diversified" (to say the least) -- but we all still love each other.

I have never personally seen Billsey say anything I would consider outrageous, but then again, (like I said) I 'generally' avoid the "Free for all" stuff.

I HAVE seen some of you say outrageous things (including you ) -- but in the long run, it really doesn't matter -- we're ALL going to say stupid things at one time or another and we're ALL going to get on each other's nerves at one time or another.

Who knows -- 'face to face' we might actually all like each other! (Nawwwww!)

Report this post  
Seer 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Posted on 24-May-2005 22:37:25
#178 ]
Team Member

@all

Oh my..... this must be the fasted growing thread in the history of Amiga forums....

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 22:40:00
#179 ]
Team Member

@Seer

Not even remotely close.

Seer 
Posted on 24-May-2005 22:41:30
#180 ]
Team Member

@AMiGR

9 pages in less then a day about nothing.. Even if it it isn't it must be some kind of record..

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle