Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  3 mins ago
 minator:  17 mins ago
 pixie:  38 mins ago
 zipper:  49 mins ago
 Birbo:  57 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Posted on 4-Jan-2008 14:52:28
#161 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
I agree with you that Sony will not dominate the market like they did with PS2.
But did anyone (other than Sony maybe) think so?
Besides Sony and MikeB?

Quote:
IMHO it's impossible to dominate any consumer market with the most expensive product when you're in competition with similar products
I agree it is indeed a difficult approach. I think Sony themselves realized this and have reduced the price and features of the console to compenstate. If they have a 10 year goal they again are going to need the clear market dominance. Otherwise the financials are going to prove difficult. If I recall correctly the PS2 was making money at this point. I believe the PS3 is still losing, but we'll see what this financial year end brings.

Summer 07 Sony CEO Hirari and Sir Stringer were reported to claim 200 retail boxed and 180 download only games available by year end, March 08. A bit later Sony reportedly said they'd have 67 titles for Christmas. I believe a couple of those slipped into Jan. I somehow doubt we'll see another 130+ titles shipped before fiscal year end. I think this again Sony over advertising their capabilities. Though I think the matter is short lived. They're probably short sales now due to lack of games and will make it up later, once the games come.

Last edited by BrianK on 04-Jan-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 5-Jan-2008 3:33:03
#162 ]
Elite Member

Microsoft announced over 17.7M consoles sold.

Over 8.1M copies of Halo3 sold. Or 9 copies sold for every 10 PS3s.

MikeB 
Posted on 5-Jan-2008 17:39:12
#163 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Quote:
According to VGChartz Italy has joined the list of countries where the PS3 has already overtaken total XBox 360 sales (the PS2 still outsold the PS3 though), not bad considering the 1 year and 5 months headstart for the 360!

Quote:
For various smaller European countries the PS3 has outsold the total 360 install base, though we only have reliable data for some larger countries, Portugal, Spain and Italy are backed up by GfK data, of the larger European countries next up will likely be Germany early January 2008, here PS3 games are already significantly outperforming 360 sales.

Correction, according to VGChartz total PS3 sales in Germany has overtaken the 360 install base already!

Next up may be France, VGChartz has undertracked PS3 sales for the country (but unknown by how much), stay tuned....

According to ZDNet.fr both platforms a short while ago stood at 500K sold to consumers in France, meaning the PS3 should meanwhile have overtaken the 360 for this country as well. VGChartz slighty undertracked the PS3 (~50K) and cumulatively severely overtracked the 360 for its two years on the market.

Last edited by MikeB on 05-Jan-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 05-Jan-2008 at 05:39 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 5-Jan-2008 17:45:32
#164 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Microsoft announced over 17.7M consoles sold

Sold to retail (channel stuffing like last year).

BrianK 
Posted on 5-Jan-2008 22:36:12
#165 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Quote:
MikeB wrote:
@BrianK
Quote:
Microsoft announced over 17.7M consoles sold

Sold to retail (channel stuffing like last year).

Thanks for the sold clarification for our readers that don't know Microsoft sold means to the sales retailers.

As for channel stuffing? I don't know see this as any worse the any other company out there. VGChartz has 16M+ consoles in user hands this means about 1.5M 360s are on shelves around the world waiting for sale. Sure, an overfull sales channel but all companies, Sony for example, needs to have units on the shelfs so buyers can pick them up. I realize local factors differ around the world but at least here the Target and Best Buys have more PS3s on their shelves then 360s. At least locally Microsoft isn't 'channel stuffing' any worse then the competition.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Jan-2008 0:57:04
#166 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

You compared the amount of Halo 3 units sold to retail with the consumer sales of PS3s. I think that was confusing, the PS3 is now solidly beating the 360's worldwide performance for the same amount of availabily, this all with mass misinformation and FUD from the US press, having had one christmas less in Europe than the 360 had at the time, some devs having experienced problems porting their 360 games to the PS3, a higher entry price and Sony so far having released mainly new experimental franchices for the platform.

2007 was a good year for the PS3 (and Sony, as both PS2 and PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide this christmas). 2008 will be different as it will be a *great* year for the PS3.

tomazkid 
Posted on 6-Jan-2008 2:18:30
#167 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Strange site indeed it depends which reviews one selectively picks.
Here's an alternative choice.
Microsoft XBOX 360 Elite With 3 Game Pack -9.3
Nintendo Wii with sports - 8.5
PS3 w/ 60GB drive - 7.6

Great criticisms!
Xbox 360 - cant make coffee with it
PS3 - Very bulky and not very easy to carry to another room in the house

I don't know the site to me looks like the typical fanboy site. Some hate one love the other and vice versa. It claims impartial reviews but I seriously question that the site established users are truly impartial. I can get that all here but in higher thread counts.

Like always, it is in the eye of the beholder

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Jan-2008 14:11:18
#168 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
You compared the amount of Halo 3 units sold to retail with the consumer sales of PS3s. I think that was confusing,
Not at all see the aka Razz. I hope/expect the readers realize this symbol means 'humor for a bit of teasing'. The PS3 has no emotions so I think teasing it is okay. See my other posts where I quote others teasing the 360 because it can't make coffee.

Last edited by BrianK on 06-Jan-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 6-Jan-2008 17:40:51
#169 ]
Elite Member

Okay.. this sucks.... I have been playing my xbox 360 just days ago and it worked perfectly fine.. Today i turned it on and it would not recognize my controller! I have been trying to manually redetect in many times now without any luck at all.

Any suggestions?

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Jan-2008 20:20:02
#170 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Try this -- Shut everything down. Unplug the 360. Put fresh batteries in the controller. Plug the 360 back in. Then power the 360 on, then the controller. Hit sync button on the 360, then the sync button on the controller. Let us know.

Next step would be switch controllers with a friend. See if your controller syncs on her 360 and see if her controller syncs on your 360. If something fails this should help lead you to where the failure might be.

Samwel 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 0:43:54
#171 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Can't he just do a 360 somersault?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 0:46:59
#172 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK, MikeB

I can't understand why you two argue about sales to retail or customer.. Who cares?
MicroSoft has sold 17.7 million regardless if those has reached customers. If they
haven't reached customers they sure will in a couple of months.

Last edited by Samwel on 07-Jan-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Last edited by Samwel on 07-Jan-2008 at 12:47 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 1:40:57
#173 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel
Quote:
Can't he just do a 360 somersault?
No doubt. Wireless stuff can be problematic. For example my bluetooth headset and cell phone randomly decide to not communicate so I have to do a similar sort of jig to get them working again. Grr.

Quote:
@BrianK, MikeB
I can't understand why you two argue about sales to retail or customer.. Who cares?
MicroSoft has sold 17.7 million regardless if those has reached customers. If they
haven't reached customers they sure will in a couple of months.
MikeB will have to speak for himself. I passed on that Microsoft stated as their numbers. MikeB provided what he felt was needed clarification. I'm sorry if it seemed that I was arguing. I attempted to simply thank MikeB for clarifying the point for those readers who might need clarification. --'Thanks for the sold clarification for our readers that don't know Microsoft sold means to the sales retailers' But yes I did comment, as you did here, that the retail sales will shortly be in customer hands.

Last edited by BrianK on 07-Jan-2008 at 01:42 AM.

jiyong 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 10:49:58
#174 ]
Cult Member

@BrianK

Sorry Brian, you don't offer "just" an olive branch.

Quote:
blackmail and force me to apologize for an unsupported, ill defined accusation that my actions were offensive to another

I would say it's not just an unsupported and ill defined accusation. And I guess we will never agree on this topic.

But as you suggested earlier, perhaps it's better to stop disagreeing on this topic and move on.

I think one of the reasons I read your sentence different from what you meant with it, is that my impression from your postings and PM discussion so far is that you did think the 360 hardware was better for gaming compared with the PS3.

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 16:14:09
#175 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
Sorry Brian, you don't offer "just" an olive branch.

Either you can meet half way or you can't ... 'Do or do not' -- Yoda.
Discussions on you owning your behavior are not in this thread so are going to PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 17:41:05
#176 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Tomas

Try this -- Shut everything down. Unplug the 360. Put fresh batteries in the controller. Plug the 360 back in. Then power the 360 on, then the controller. Hit sync button on the 360, then the sync button on the controller. Let us know.

Next step would be switch controllers with a friend. See if your controller syncs on her 360 and see if her controller syncs on your 360. If something fails this should help lead you to where the failure might be.

The batteries had 3 bars and the control had not even given signs of batteries being low. I tried to synchronize them many times without any luck at all.. The lights on both the console and controller would flash in a circle for like half a minute and then it just gave up... I tried it proabably close to 20 times! including unplugging power and reseating batteries in the controller. I also tried moving my wireless router which is kinda close to my xbox, but i had no such problems before..

But anyways.. i tried again later that same day and then it suddenly worked again? I have still no idea on what could have caused this. I played eternal sonata for like 2-3 hours after it worked again, and did not experience a single issue. I just hope it wont happen again..

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 20:53:37
#177 ]
Elite Member

PS3 profitable in 2009? That's a strong maybe...

Hirari -
We want to get to the positive side of the equation as quickly as possible...The next fiscal year starts in April and if we can try to achieve that in the next fiscal year that would be a great thing. We are going through the budgets right now. That (profitability) is not a definite commitment, but that is what I would like to try to shoot for.

Also Sony's reported 11/23-12/31 sales
PSP 1.4M
PS2 1.3M
PS3 1.2M

Last edited by BrianK on 07-Jan-2008 at 09:06 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 21:03:23
#178 ]
Elite Member

360 out does the PS2?

Snips from a Microsoft Game Studio Memo
..While final sales numbers are still being collected, consumers in North America have spent over $3.5 billion dollars on Xbox 360 hardware, software and accessories. That’s $1 billion more than consumers spent on the Wii, and $2 billion more than the PS3. When December data is added, we expect Xbox 360 in 2007 to have generated more calendar year revenue than any other gaming platform ever, including PS2 at its peak...

according to the most recent NPD data, Xbox 360 generated more 3rd party revenue in 2007 than Nintendo and Sony combined....

Of the top 20 best-selling titles in 2007 this generation, 13 were on Xbox 360, compared to seven on the Wii and zero on the PS3 according to NPD...

This holiday, Xbox LIVE blew past expectations and eclipsed the 10 million member mark, over six months before our stated goal of July 2008 announced at E3 last year...At 10 million members Xbox LIVE is by far the largest social network connected to the TV...

Coming CES
At CES Robbie will announce new content and partnerships that cement our position as the clear leader in delivering digital entertainment to the living room. Right now Xbox LIVE Marketplace features over 3,500 total hours of downloadable content and has hosted more than 380 million downloads, along with the largest library of on-demand, high definition content in the US. Now, Xbox LIVE Marketplace will add TV and movie content from the Disney-ABC Television Group and MGM Studios

Robbie will also announce an exciting new partnership with BT to offer a first-of-its kind complete entertainment experience to all BT broadband customers by making Internet Protocol TV (IPTV) available through Xbox 360 through BT’s service BT Vision

Wondering about Xbox 360 generated more 3rd party revenue ? Here is one 3rd party developer EA's ranking of last quarter's console sales.
Xbox 360 - $218 million
PlayStation 2 - $73 million
Nintendo Wii - $59 million
Nintendo DS - $47 million
PlayStation Portable - $21 million
PlayStation 3 - $17 million

Samwel 
Posted on 7-Jan-2008 23:20:03
#179 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

Wireless stuff can be problematic. For example my bluetooth headset and cell phone randomly decide to not communicate so I have to do a similar sort of jig to get them working again. Grr.

Yes it sure can. I have had my share of problems with bluetooth headsets and wireless routers.

I had to go back the the shop were I got my headset and have them reset it. After
that I have no problems whatsoever. I have a SonyEricsson phone and headset.
Don't know if other phones or headsets gives more or less headaches.

But Ericsson being one of the authors of the technology I guess they should know
what, if and how it works.

Quote:

MikeB will have to speak for himself. I passed on that Microsoft stated as their numbers. MikeB provided what he felt was needed clarification. I'm sorry if it seemed that I was arguing. I attempted to simply thank MikeB for clarifying the point for those readers who might need clarification. --'Thanks for the sold clarification for our readers that don't know Microsoft sold means to the sales retailers' But yes I did comment, as you did here, that the retail sales will shortly be in customer hands.

No problem really.. But it's so boring to read arguments about stuff that really has
no importance which way was correct. The important thing still being that M$ has
sold 17.7 million. Which is a good number, especially compared to prev gen.

And I think Mike could have posted a "that's good for M$ and good luck", or nothing
at all, reply instead.

Last edited by Samwel on 07-Jan-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 12:34:43
#180 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Lokking at Amazon this past week:
01. Driver: Parallel Lines—Ubisoft (Wii)
02. Rock Band Special Edition—EA (Xbox 360)
03. Super Mario Galaxy—Nintendo (Wii)
04. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare—Activision (Xbox 360)
05. Wii Play w/ Remote—Nintendo (Wii)
06. Winter Sports: The Ultimate Challenge—Conspiracy (Wii)
07. Carnival Games—Global Star (Wii)
08. Game Party—Midway (Wii)
09. New Super Mario Bros.—Nintendo (DS)
10. Guitar Hero III Bundle—Activision (Wii)

01. Wii
02. Xbox 360 Pro Value Bundle
03. PlayStation 3 80GB MotorStorm Pack
04. PlayStation 3 40GB Spider-Man 3 Movie Pack
05. Nintendo DS Crimson and Black

Now that Wii hardware supply has doubled, Wii software sales are starting to consistently overtake 360 (and everthing else) software sales on the charts. The Wii is the new PS2. The big suprise this week is Driver (released June/July 2007) which received a 50% price cut.

in other territories:

Germany

01. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
02. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)
03. More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (DS)
04. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
05. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (DS)
06. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
07. Need for Speed ProStreet (PS2)
08. SingStar Apres Ski (PS2)
09. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
10. FIFA 08 (PS2)

Spain

01. More Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima (DS)
02. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (DS)
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2)
04. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
05. WWE Smackdown! Vs RAW 2008 (PS2)
06. Assassin’s Creed (PS3)
07. SingStar Latino (PS2)
08. Imagine: Being Mum (DS)
09. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
10. FIFA 08 (PS2)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle