Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 zipper:  18 mins ago
 Birbo:  26 mins ago
 Karlos:  45 mins ago
 Frank:  51 mins ago
 broadblues:  51 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 14:30:54
#181 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel,
Thanks for the info on the headset. Mine is about 5 years old. If I cared enough at this point I'd buy a new one.

@Lou
Quote:
Now that Wii hardware supply has doubled, Wii software sales are starting to consistently overtake 360 (and everthing else) software sales on the charts. The Wii is the new PS2
The Wii is undoubtably the last hurrah of an NTSC/PAL console. The USA switches to all digital over the air broadcasts in 2009. Projections are for a large increase in sales of HDTVs this and next year. I think as we see people transition to HDTV they are going to migrate towards the HD consoles. I don't think the Wii will have the staying power of the PS3 and 360 due to this. Though Nintendo is a smart company. They'll put out the next gen Wii HD replacement before the competition.

As for the Wii I have a couple friends who have them so I have played a few games. It's a fine console but I wouldn't swap either my PS3 or 360 for one.

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 15:50:04
#182 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

The Wii has component and RGB outputs on it's connector now. I don't see what your point is.

Back in 1979 I played my Atari 2600's 160x100 pixel resolution on my 480i television.
Displays have always been ahead of the devices that provide the display signal. Having a 480p Wii displayed on a 1080p television is still going to be possible in 2009. Televisions with digital tuners (again it's just the tuner that is changing) will not change the ability to use the Wii in 2009.

Also, I wouldn't rule out a redesigned Wii in 2009 for the US market...or atleast one that includes a digital video cable if all TV's abandon analog inputs (which will not happen until far after 2009).

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 16:14:00
#183 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
The Wii has component and RGB outputs on it's connector now. I don't see what your point is.
The point is that it doesn't produce 720p or 1080p as nicely as either of the other consoles.

Quote:
Televisions with digital tuners (again it's just the tuner that is changing) will not change the ability to use the Wii in 2009
Of course it won't eliminate the Wii as an option. I hope I didn't word it that way. The statement was not about hardware expectations but market/people expectations. Various people will be skipping a digital tuner for their SDTV and going straight to the HDTV. These will be sold the PS3/360 as a better gaming option on the new fancy set. Various people I know with a Wii have stated they bought it because they didn't think the PS3/360 are as useful on their old SDTV. They're wrong of course but the mentality is out there in the marketplace.

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out a redesigned Wii in 2009 for the US market
Nintendo is making money on their console. Sony is not and Microsoft might finally be. Since Nintendo is the lower cost leader and more profitable I think the business arguement for the next gen HD Wii replacement is a bit easier to make. It sounds like we are in agreement that Nintendo just might release their next console before the competition.

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 16:26:09
#184 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I thought you mike like seeing Gates admitting to 360's hardware issues.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 17:24:23
#185 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Of course it won't eliminate the Wii as an option. I hope I didn't word it that way. The statement was not about hardware expectations but market/people expectations. Various people will be skipping a digital tuner for their SDTV and going straight to the HDTV. These will be sold the PS3/360 as a better gaming option on the new fancy set. Various people I know with a Wii have stated they bought it because they didn't think the PS3/360 are as useful on their old SDTV. They're wrong of course but the mentality is out there in the marketplace.

When I play Metroid Prime 3 or Medal of Honor:H2 on my 50" widescreen DLP television, I really don't notice that they don't run in 720p+, I do notice they are good games though...

Good games are good games. Resolutions don't define good games. If they did, the cell phone (gaming) market would be dead.

As an example, I don't need a Lamborgini to go to the grocery store.

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 18:44:04
#186 ]
Elite Member

@Lou
Quote:
I really don't notice that they don't run in 720p
We're talking different things here. You are focused on if the hardware can do it. I've agreed the hardware is capable of displaying on a 1080p set. The issue isn't with the hardware. It's what I see as a market perception issue. If one wants HD gaming PS/360 is the option in the minds of consumers.

You're one of 2 people I know that have their Wii not on an SDTV set. I know of 1 360 on an SDTV set. All other 360s and PS3s I know live on HDTV. Now I do realize this is who I know and not the whole market. My understanding is that HDTV buyers focus on the 360 or PS3 as their gaming solution and tend to ignore the Wii. It'd be interesting to somehow see how many Wiis actually live on an HDTV. Through my knowledge it's a lower % of Wii ownership.

Last edited by BrianK on 08-Jan-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Last edited by BrianK on 08-Jan-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Samwel 
Posted on 8-Jan-2008 22:54:08
#187 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I think you're missing Brian's point.

He doesn't say Wii don't work or will stop working with HDTV's. Just that native
resolution is nicer looking, much nicer even, than scaled.

Btw Component and SCART (Europe) inputs will be on all modern TVs for the
foreseeable future I think. Longer than Wii will be on the market even. So being
able to use Wii on modern TVs will not be a problem.

Last edited by Samwel on 08-Jan-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Last edited by Samwel on 08-Jan-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Last edited by Samwel on 08-Jan-2008 at 10:54 PM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Lou 
Posted on 9-Jan-2008 12:04:07
#188 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel & BrianK

And your both missing my point.
My CD32 also looked great on this TV via S-VHS input.
This TV is 720p native and everything looks good regardless of the original signal.

Perhaps Brian, you know people with "early adopter" HDTV sets that don't scale displays nicely.

Mine is just over 2 years old and scales pictures beautifully. I think LCD's don't scale as nicely as DLP or plasma...perhaps that is the issue here.

LCD prices have come down but I still believe plasma & DLP can give you the more natural looking picture.

Also, just because televisions are going digital doesn't mean everyone will own a 60" screen. Alot of that resolution will be lost to alot of people. In addition, a signal can be digital and still be broadcast in only 480p. All that's changing really is the way the signal is broadcast...going to HD is not a requirement.

Oh, of the 3 360 owners I know, only 1 has an HDTV. The one PS3 owner I know is running it on composite. Of the 4 (self-included) Wii owners I know, 2 run 480p via component cables. There's some stats for ya'.

Edit: more stats - Japan last week!

01. Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden (PS2) - 197,000 / New
02. Wii Fit (Wii) - 135,000 / 884,000
03. Mario Party DS (DS) - 131,000 / 1,288,000
04. Final Fantasy IV (DS) - 126,000 / 414,000
05. Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP) - 105,000 / New
06. Wii Sports (Wii) - 82,000 / 2,507,000
07. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku (PSP) - 81,000 / New
08. Professor Layton and The Devil's Box (DS) - 80,000 / 607,000
09. Dragon Quest IV (DS) - 78,000 / 1,041,000
10. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 56,000 / 720,000
11. Wii Play (Wii)
12. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)
13. Mario Party 8 (Wii)
14. Mario Kart DS (DS)
15. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
16. Naruto Shippuuden: Narutimate Accel 2 (PS2)
17. Taiko Drum Master DS (DS)
18. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP)
19. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
20. Powerful Pro Kun Pocket 10 (DS)
21. WarioWare Smooth Moves (Wii)
22. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360)
23. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2)
24. Tales of Innocence (DS)
25. Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)
26. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
27. Animal Crossing Wild World (DS)
28. Nep League DS (DS)
29. Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (DS)
30. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)

Perhaps Japan is finally starting to get aclamated to FPS games (see COD4).
One Japanese developer mentioned that the problem was the way Japanese/Asian people's eyes are set flatter than other races causing 3D perception to be poorer in people of Asian decent. Ofcourse with the Japanese youth of today being introduced to FPS games early on, that seems to be an issue that may become moot over time. That said, many Japanese developers have gone on record saying that the "hardcore" Japanese game market is in big trouble and are looking for success in US & European markets to make profits. Perhaps that is truly what is holding back the 360 over there...though it seems to be making some inroads...

Last edited by Lou on 09-Jan-2008 at 12:14 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Jan-2008 15:04:05
#189 ]
Elite Member

@Lou
Quote:
This TV is 720p native and everything looks good regardless of the original signal.

Perhaps Brian, you know people with "early adopter" HDTV sets that don't scale displays nicely.
LOU -- Your point seems to be that the Wii technically works on HDTV sets. Is that a correct understanding? If so then we're in complete agreement.

My view is that Nintendo is not pushing the Wii for use on HDTVs. Microsoft and Sony are pushing their consoles for HDTV. As such the mindset of the consumer is that the PS3 and 360 are the preferred options for HDTV.

Feb 09 the USA moves to digital broadcasts. One could buy a digital SDTV but they're hard to find. Many stores, Best Buy noteably, only carry HDTV sets. USA HDTV sales are projected to increase in 08 and even more in 09, in part due to digital broadcasting.

Because the PS3 and 360 are in the minds of consumers as the HighDef gaming solution as HDTVs ownership increases it will push these 2 consoles more then the Wii. Let's check back fall 09 and see if this turned out to be the case.

Last edited by BrianK on 09-Jan-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 9-Jan-2008 16:35:22
#190 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou
Quote:

LOU -- Your point seems to be that the Wii technically works on HDTV sets. Is that a correct understanding? If so then we're in complete agreement.

My view is that Nintendo is not pushing the Wii for use on HDTVs. Microsoft and Sony are pushing their consoles for HDTV. As such the mindset of the consumer is that the PS3 and 360 are the preferred options for HDTV.

Feb 09 the USA moves to digital broadcasts. One could buy a digital SDTV but they're hard to find. Many stores, Best Buy noteably, only carry HDTV sets. USA HDTV sales are projected to increase in 08 and even more in 09, in part due to digital broadcasting.

Because the PS3 and 360 are in the minds of consumers as the HighDef gaming solution as HDTVs ownership increases it will push these 2 consoles more then the Wii. Let's check back fall 09 and see if this turned out to be the case.

Actually, you can get a coupon to buy a digital tuner for your existing SDTV.
My HDTV came without a tuner. I have a sepate box which gets the over-the-air digital signals. That's what you are not getting about 2009. This doesn't effect cable, however cable companies are already offering digital SD & digital HD programming. This 2009 digital thing is about broadcasting and for people who rely on local programming.

I have 2 types of options with Comcast today: digital or analog.
If I have analog, I have 2 options: basic (no box required) or extended (to get channels over 125) and the signal is analog and can be fuzzy.
With digital cable, I can still choose "Basic cable" but I am paying more for it to be "digital" and I get a perfect picture on every channel. I can also go the HD-upgrade route and get a box that supports HD televisions.

So you see, this 2009 thing will only affect the "less fortunate" people who don't have cable/satellite television. Their analog tuners will be useless. The will need new tuners. The tuner will scale the image to their television depending on the output they choose to use.

I paid $125 for my tuner 2 years ago on ebay. It has analog and component video output as well as SP/DIF and digital optical co-axial sound output.

So you see, 2009 is no big deal. If they have cable, they are unaffected.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Jan-2008 17:02:01
#191 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
So you see, 2009 is no big deal.

Okay poor TV companies won't be as profitable as everyone's expecting then.

Samwel 
Posted on 9-Jan-2008 23:18:02
#192 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Mine is just over 2 years old and scales pictures beautifully. I think LCD's don't scale as nicely as DLP or plasma...perhaps that is the issue here.

LCD prices have come down but I still believe plasma & DLP can give you the more natural looking picture.

Also, just because televisions are going digital doesn't mean everyone will own a 60" screen. Alot of that resolution will be lost to alot of people. In addition, a signal can be digital and still be broadcast in only 480p. All that's changing really is the way the signal is broadcast...going to HD is not a requirement.

Oh, of the 3 360 owners I know, only 1 has an HDTV. The one PS3 owner I know is running it on composite. Of the 4 (self-included) Wii owners I know, 2 run 480p via component cables. There's some stats for ya'.

LOL, CD32 looks great on a HDTV??? No way I say! The picture gets fuzzy unless
the screen has even resolution to scale to from the source, i.e. 320x256/200 to
640x400/512 to 1280x800/1024.. Which no modern widescreen TV has.
Also the CD32 doesn't do widescreen.

It's rather that certain people don't have the skills or the will to see the difference.
Example I have a friend who tells me DVD is about the same as VHS.. Which IMO is
like saying white is almost the same color as black.

My LCD scales pretty good.. But if you check closely you'll notice the edges are
much worse than on native resolution. This what Mike has been trying to tell (nag)
to everyone here in this thread. It's actually true, 1080p looks way, WAY better on
a native resolution than on scaled down screen, even if it's done with a high end
scaler (which would help a little). No TV in normal price ranges have high end scalers
built-in.

But it's true that LCD are the worst scalers (generally). The other display types do
have a generally fuzzier look to their pixels. Which makes you accept scaling more.

Your friend that runs his PS3 through composit should go check his head.
Why does he do that? He could use s-video or component instead if he doesn't have
HDMI.

Last edited by Samwel on 09-Jan-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Samwel 
Posted on 9-Jan-2008 23:26:34
#193 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

It's true that digital TV broadcasting won't effect cable.
But you know as well as anybody that when something get popular it spreads
like fire.

In February my cable provider will begin sending dual digital/analog broadcastings.
So the consumers can choose for themselves if they want better picture or don't
care. This without any added cost I might add.

Samwel 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 0:09:41
#194 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

Okay poor TV companies won't be as profitable as everyone's expecting then.

Heh HDTVs probably outsell SDTVs by 80%/20% today and this number will only
increase in time. The buyers will at some time start to wonder if any programs
do make use of their new shiny HDTV.. Then when the HDTV owners are the clear
majority the cable companies will change to HD broadcasting. Digital broadcasting
and HD broadcasting aren't the same. Digital SD broadcasting will happen way
before HD.

I think you're correct in your assumptions. But it may differ some depending on
country/region I think.

Lou 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 5:05:13
#195 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@Lou

LOL, CD32 looks great on a HDTV??? No way I say! The picture gets fuzzy unless
the screen has even resolution to scale to from the source, i.e. 320x256/200 to
640x400/512 to 1280x800/1024.. Which no modern widescreen TV has.
Also the CD32 doesn't do widescreen.

4:3 mode is an option of the television. The S-VHS out of the CD32 is very clean. It does look quite clear on my TV.

Quote:
My LCD scales pretty good.. But if you check closely you'll notice the edges are
much worse than on native resolution. This what Mike has been trying to tell (nag)
to everyone here in this thread. It's actually true, 1080p looks way, WAY better on
a native resolution than on scaled down screen, even if it's done with a high end
scaler (which would help a little). No TV in normal price ranges have high end scalers
built-in.

But it's true that LCD are the worst scalers (generally). The other display types do
have a generally fuzzier look to their pixels. Which makes you accept scaling more.

Your friend that runs his PS3 through composit should go check his head.
Why does he do that? He could use s-video or component instead if he doesn't have
HDMI.

He could afford the PS3 but not the HDTV. He was always late with my rent money too. My Samsung has dynamic image enhancement logic that can be turned on or off...most HDTV's do. Scaling is not much of an issue at all. Just nit-picking if you ask me.

Lou 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 5:06:08
#196 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@Lou

It's true that digital TV broadcasting won't effect cable.
But you know as well as anybody that when something get popular it spreads
like fire.

In February my cable provider will begin sending dual digital/analog broadcastings.
So the consumers can choose for themselves if they want better picture or don't
care. This without any added cost I might add.

Here they use any excuse to raise the prices...

Lou 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 11:47:59
#197 ]
Elite Member

Japan's last week of the year sales

Nintendo DS - 218,894
PSP - 161,370
Wii - 152,209
PlayStation 3 - 52,706
PlayStation 2 - 25,569
Xbox 360 - 8,304

Also, Sony is stopping production of 20GB and 60GB models this month.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8600&Itemid=2

Japan 12/31/07-1/6/08
Hardware:

DS: 312,000
Wii: 243,000
PSP: 189,000
PS3: 70,000
PS2: 35,000
Xbox 360: 13,000
Software:

Mario Party DS (DS) 208,000 (1,441,000)
Wii Sports (Wii) 127,000 (2,592,000)
Wii Play (Wii) 103,000 (2,093,000)
Wii Fit (Wii) 94,000 (912,000)
Final Fantasy IV (DS) 80,000 (527,000)
Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (Wii) 74,000 (438,000)
Dragon Quest IV (DS) 70,000 (1,123,000)
Mario Kart DS (DS) 68,000 (2,764,000)
Mario Party 8 (Wii) 68,000 (1,122,000)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) 62,000 (810,000)
Professor Layton 2 (DS) 59,000 (674,000)
Rune Factory 2 (DS) 56,000
Star Ocean First Departure (PSP) 46,000 (161,000)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (DS) 46,000 (1,302,000)
Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations Gaiden (PS2) 43,000 (242,000)

FTWiin

Last edited by Lou on 10-Jan-2008 at 12:39 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 14:29:15
#198 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
Heh HDTVs probably outsell SDTVs by 80%/20% today and this number will only increase in time. The buyers will at some time start to wonder if any programs
do make use of their new shiny HDTV
I agree. As things progress we'll see Blu-Ray take over DVD due to it's High Def capability. As the PS3/360 consoles are marketed as HD and the Wii is not I think we'll see a similar result. People will tend to flock to the devices advertised as making the most use of High Defn. It's not a question if they work or not both DVD and Wii work fine on an HD set. It's a question of marketing and client expectations. IF this turns out to be right probably won't be clear until late 09 or early 10. This of course assumes Nintendo doesn't come out with a HD console in that time.

Lou 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 18:21:07
#199 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Funny you should say that as the road ahead for the 360 doesn't look too good. Here is an editiorial from gamesindustry.biz:
Quote:
The Road Ahead

Success comes in many guises. Most people would agree that 2007 was a successful year for the Xbox 360 - a year when the firm's head-start over rival Sony was used to great effect, and when the console's software line-up was widely considered to be one of the strongest the industry has ever seen.

It was the year in which Halo 3 arrived, was critically acclaimed, and sold around 8 million copies - and perhaps most impressively of all, it was the year when Halo 3 almost seemed buried in an avalanche of superb games, whereas in any previous year it would have stood astride the software landscape like a colossus. It was the year when Xbox Live user figures passed the 10 million mark, and the year when Microsoft registered its second ever profitable quarter for the Xbox division (although it almost certainly slid back into a loss in the following quarter).

A good year, then? Well - maybe. Success is multi-faceted, and it's important to look at it from many angles before you make up your mind and stick a label on something. There are other ways in which 2007 was a terrible year for Microsoft - and in some regards, the company's lacklustre showing at CES in Las Vegas last week may be a hangover from those failings.

A number of problems plagued the Xbox 360 throughout the year. The woes over failing consoles finally reached the point where Microsoft could no longer ignore the system's dismal reliability - forcing it to extend its hardware warranty and set aside a billion-dollar reserve to fund repairs.

It may not have been too little, but it was definitely too late. The mainstream media had already latched onto the idea that the Xbox 360 was badly manufactured and prone to failure - while the hardcore gamers who had been Microsoft's most staunch word-of-mouth warriors suddenly became a liability, as they started talking to friends and forums about being on their third or fourth replacement Xbox 360.

No sooner had that furore died down, than it was replaced by another - the dismal failure of the Xbox Live system to cope with demand over Christmas, which has now extended into the New Year with no fix in sight. Customers paying for a rock-solid online gaming service are getting anything but; once again, Microsoft's ability to design and create amazing products seems to be let down by its ability to deliver quality on an ongoing basis. The problems aren't remotely as serious as the "Red Ring of Death" flaw on the 360 itself, but it's exactly the kind of press the console doesn't need right now.

For hardcore gamers, these are the problems which have put a dampener on enthusiasm for the 360 even in the face of a superb software line-up. Microsoft faces an even bigger problem with the console, however, to which its reliability concerns are only one contributing factor. The problem is this; it's still simply not clear how the company is going to grow its market, and there are strong signs that growth is already slowing down.

Along with plenty of other critics and commentators, I've been pointing out for a long time that the Xbox 360 still doesn't have sufficient appeal outside of the "cars and guns" market - the same 16 to 24 year old consumers who bought the original Xbox. A smattering of Japanese RPGs and, well, Viva Pinata, does not amount to a mass-market strategy that will finally unseat the PlayStation.

The proof of this unappetising pudding? Quick dinner-napkin calculations based on Microsoft's own estimates show that in 2007, the firm shipped fewer Xbox 360 consoles than it did in 2006. It's not a huge difference - but that's not what the growth curve is meant to look like, especially not when there's such an acclaimed line-up of software on offer.

How does all of this translate to the near-absence of Xbox from the firm's keynote at CES? Quite simply, there's a feeling that right now, Microsoft's Xbox division is looking long and hard at where it stands in the market - and how it breaks out of its current position to become a credible market leader. Despite a strong start and a loyal fanbase, it is assailed with challenges that will be difficult to overcome.

On one hand, it needs to learn how to appeal to the mass market - something which doesn't seem to come naturally to the product or the company. On the software front, Microsoft seemingly remains convinced that there is a single "mass market" which can be attracted by building a handful of games in key areas. The reality is very different; the "mass market" is merely a collection of a huge number of niches, and it's this vast diaspora of tastes which Sony has been excellent at providing for.

The PlayStation consoles have played host to a bewildering variety of software for different gaming tastes, and that's why they achieved mass market success - simply funding a few JRPGs and deliberately "quirky" titles isn't going to emulate this. An overhaul of how Microsoft approaches software development for its platforms as a whole may be required to nurture that kind of game library.

On the other hand, perhaps an even more daunting challenge is keeping the faithful satisfied in 2008. Going into 2007, the Xbox 360 release list looked absolutely stunning - whereas the 2008 schedule at this point in time looks comparatively barren. If Microsoft wants to maintain its momentum, let alone building new momentum, it needs to repeat the software success of 2007 - and it needs to do it without Bioware and Bizarre, both of which developed key Xbox 360 exclusives in the past but now belong to multi-platform publishers. It also needs to do it without Bungie; not only now an independent studio (albeit still likely to work on 360 exclusives), but also highly unlikely to have another game ready until 2009.

None of this is insurmountable, but it's certainly not going to be an easy ride either. Microsoft has done an absolutely amazing job in some regards - its hardware, despite launching a year earlier than the PS3, has held its own extremely well in terms of technical prowess, and its online service continues to be the benchmark for the whole industry. In terms of software, the late 2007 line-up is arguably one of the best the market has ever seen, fuelling an incredibly strong quarter for the industry as a whole.

Continuing that success, however, won't happen just through sitting on a sack full of laurels. In 2008, Microsoft's challenges will be greater than ever before. The Wii is trouncing the Xbox 360 in the casual market; the PS3 is keeping pace with it in week to week sales, despite acres of negative press, and at present has a more appealing 2008 line-up. Reliability problems just won't go away, the mass-market remains just as elusive as it's ever been, and key developers have been lost to third-party publishers. Nobody could describe a division that's just had such a brilliant couple of quarters as being in crisis - but when Microsoft finally breaks the silence that we witnessed at CES, it had better have some great responses to the challenges 2008 brings.

It's a sad day to think that the 2008 PS3 lineup looks better than the 360 2008 lineup. As for the Wii, it has carved it's own path and none of that matters... If HDMI becomes the default A/V standard in 2009, then I'm sure a re-designed Wii will have an HDMI port or an adapter. HDMI can still output 480p...and believe me when I say Wii Sports in a living room on a 50" widescreen in 480p is way more fun than the same living room with a 27" 4:3 480i TV.

A fun game is a fun game and high resolution is but a feature, not a requirement for "fun" to be had.

BrianK 
Posted on 10-Jan-2008 19:27:14
#200 ]
Elite Member

@Lou
Quote:
Funny you should say that as the road ahead for the 360 doesn't look too good.
I'm sure people will say similar things about the PS3. I think I laid out the HD problem with the market preception of the Wii. The 360 certainly has it's own issues. Parts of this post seem on and some off.

Quote:
...PS3...more appealing 2008 line-up..
Alan Wake, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Wars, Lost Odyessy, GTA, Splinter Cell, DMC, GTA, Too Human, Huxley, Resident Evil, Star Wars, and possibly Gears 2 by Christmas. These are off the top of my head and some are multiplatform but if the line up is 'worse' it doesn't mean it's crap.

Quote:
Reliability problems just won't go away
With time they may. It already appears that newer consoles are more reliable then launch consoles. Don't forget we saw a PS2 with various reliability issues along it's journey.

Quote:
A fun game is a fun game and high resolution is but a feature, not a requirement for "fun" to be had
Strangely the 360 has the highest game ownership per console rate in the industry. I'm doubtful the average 7 games people own were bought because they are horrid. Resolution isn't THE feature it's A feature. It's a selling point the PS3 and 360 has over the Wii in the marketplace. Again doesn't mean the Wii won't work on the HDTV screens. I think the push for HD content Blu-Ray and Gaming will increase as HDTV increase. Seems you think more HDTVs mean more wins for the Wii. That's all cool.. Chrismas 09 or early 2010 will tell us which way the market went. I'm not the only one predicting the Wii to slow down.

Also note in previous posts I've stated I expect that Christmas 08 will be when the PS3 will catch up with the 360. The 360 should ship a Blu-Ray drive this year and price should be $99, IMO.

Last edited by BrianK on 10-Jan-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Last edited by BrianK on 10-Jan-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle