Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

minator

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 minator:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  23 mins ago
 zipper:  35 mins ago
 Birbo:  42 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 24-May-2010 23:06:04
#201 ]
Elite Member

It has been reported Killzone 3 will feature jungles, artic areas, outer space and such with lots more color variation than in Killzone 2's dark hostile environment. The environment (building and such) are said to be completely destructable this time.

Controls have been improved and said to be more responsive, this in reply to feedback from the community (this was however intention in Killzone 2 to better mimic realism, but some didn't like it, it will still mimic heavily packed / weighty behaviour, so don't expect it to become unrealistic like some hopping madness shooters out there)

Last edited by MikeB on 24-May-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 25-May-2010 1:41:28
#202 ]
Elite Member

Halo Reach Beta closed after 18 days.

Players collectively logged more than 16 million hours and more than 1.1 billion virtual kills ..

A good time was had by all.

MikeB 
Posted on 25-May-2010 7:25:45
#203 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
A good time was had by all

How do you know?

Lou 
Posted on 25-May-2010 12:22:15
#204 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Eurogamer had some reservations and doubts with regard to stereoscopic 3D gaming on the PS3 (based on early quick & dirty examples of how easy this is to implement in some existing games), they are regularly quoted by naysayers for this. But not anymore it seems:

Some snips:

"PS3D has been common knowledge for some time now, and it makes perfect sense that one of the platform's flagship series be earmarked for the technology's release. What is a surprise is how well it all actually works."

"Straight away there's an immediate impact. The weighty, long-barrelled minigun has a real presence in-screen, highlighting the fact that the majority of Killzone's 3D trickery is done via the impression of depth rather than projection. Shuffling behind cover emphasises the effect superbly, each vanishing line and focal reference point making the illusion ever more real.

The game's particle effects really come into their own under the influence of the active shutter glasses too. Snow seems to swirl very distinctly in front of the screen, its fluttering hypnotism starkly punctuated by the bullets which zip and zing towards you."

I think 3D will enhance games despite possibly taking a framerate hit.
My cousin, whom I live with has a PS3 and it is used just as a BluRay player (so yes, this household owns all 3 consoles) however, I'd consider renting KZ3D to check out the 3D.

The Wii already has a 3D game out, but it was too kiddy for my tastes to want to check out. We'll see what the future brings.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 25-May-2010 12:34:45
#205 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Lou

Motion controls are over-rated & gimmicky side shows! Who cares which is more sensitive!!? WHERE IS THE JEDI LIGHT-SABRE GAME PROMISED!!! I do not think 'The Force Unleashed' or 'Lego Star Wars' counts!

Developers are not able to push these tools creatively at present! The Sony EyeToy was under-utilised and these Motion Controls will be too. Most Wii owners JUST PLAY BOWLING, GOLF & TENNIS ON Wii SPORTS and that's it!!! POINTLESS! Get ready for Raving Rabbids Party game shovel ware being ported across to the XBox 360 and PS3 in the coming months! Can't wait

Can't agree.
Motion controls are the evolution of videogaming. This is the first generation, they are imperfect, crude, primitive, and the programmers are not ready for them. This is agreed, but they are not just a gimmik.
Force Unleashed, besides not having 1:1 lightsabre controls, plays wonder, you really feel like really activating the force powers, a thing that buttonsmashing can't provide.
Same can be told for MadWorld and for the other good games Wii has in it's repertoire.

If Sony is moving (pun intended) in the same direction it means they are not as blind as too many seem to be and entered de facto in the trail that will project them into the future along with Nintendo.

In fact, remember that Nintendo quite never does something wrong when creating a new generation of controllers.

PS: 1:1 lightsabre game would be unplayable unless you are a Kendo master, believe me.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Lou 
Posted on 25-May-2010 16:43:29
#206 ]
Elite Member

Insomniac goes MULTIPLATFORM!

http://www.edge-online.com/news/insomniac-goes-multiplatform-with-ea

Expect new Ratchet & Clank and Resistence sequels on both PS3 and 360.

Looks like Sony lost another one...or two. (exclusivity)

MikeB 
Posted on 25-May-2010 19:15:03
#207 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Sorry Lou, Ratchet and Resistance won't come to the XBox 360 because of this announcement just like the Halo franchise won't come to the PS3 because of Bungie now developing for the PS3.

They are however developing a new franchise for both the XBox 360 and PS3.

Resistance 3 is expected to be announced at the upcoming E3 event, yes exclusively for the PS3.

Lou 
Posted on 26-May-2010 21:12:37
#208 ]
Elite Member

NATAL to cost $149!

http://www.edge-online.com/news/natal-to-cost-149-%E2%80%93-source

Hmmm... Well since you don't have to buy 4x controllers, it still may be cheaper in the long run...

BrianK 
Posted on 27-May-2010 12:52:36
#209 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
NATAL to cost $149!
I'm generally not a conspiracy theorist. I think companies 'leak' ideas to the social to gauge the public's reaction. If $149 is met with mostly positive accounts I think that's what we'll see, or something close perhaps $129.

The PS3 Wand is late, it was originally spring 2010. Rumors of it's price are under $100 to as low as $70. Launching on top of each other will prove an interesting competition going into Christmas.

I think it'll be interesting to watch the market . Do people so love the Wii that an HD version, aka PS3 Wand, is more attractive then the more innovative Natal. Or are people just coming out of a recession satisfied with their current console and nothing major happens. Anyone's guess. Reality will be when the sales come, or not.

Lou 
Posted on 27-May-2010 12:53:01
#210 ]
Elite Member

E3 is coming fast.

Here's news you wish you would see at E3
http://kotaku.com/5548627/the-memo-lies-what-you-wont-be-seeing-at-e3

ROTFLMFAO!

Lou 
Posted on 27-May-2010 13:54:06
#211 ]
Elite Member

Home might leave 'beta' in December ... (entered beta in Dec '08)

desipite:
Quote:
Having entered an "open beta" in December 2008, Home has been in that state ever since, despite appearing for all intents and purposes to be fully armed and operational. While for some it's been a useful tool for chit-chat and furniture organisation, for most it's been a disappointment, Sony's original plan for an online "hub" central to both communication and multilayer gaming never really materialising in a world awash with soulless avatars and user-paid advertising.

http://kotaku.com/5549017/home-finally-leaving-beta-is-not-st

MikeB 
Posted on 27-May-2010 14:34:24
#212 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
The PS3 Wand is late, it was originally spring 2010. Rumors of it's price are under $100 to as low as $70. Launching on top of each other will prove an interesting competition going into Christmas.

E3 is not far away, everything will be known by then. It has been known for many months, it's targeted for a Fall 2010 launch.

Quote:
Do people so love the Wii that an HD version, aka PS3 Wand

The PS3 with Playstation Move is more than a Wii in HD. The PS3 is able to deliver far more complex gaming experiences, the Playstation Move solution is far more accurate, responsive and takes advantage of the Playstation Eye. Take a look at the demos.

The PS3 also allows for stereoscopic 3D, with the extra depth dimension this can prove to be useful and cool in games.

Quote:
is more attractive then the more innovative Natal.

Is it really that innovative beyond providing an EyeToy 2.0 experience? Sony looked at the technology they are using and didn't think it offered enough. The Natal Project is done by the same guys Sony worked with on Eyetoy.

Anyway I myself at the start of this generation stated I would love to see a Wii-style motion controller for the PS3 at some point. Never did I say I wanted an Eyetoy 2.0. I want to have something in my hands when I swing a sword, so being more accurate, responsive and providing less lag is far more interesting to me.

I think if Sony would have announced an Eyetoy 2.0 using the same technology as Natal there wouldn't be this much hype in the United States.

Lou 
Posted on 27-May-2010 15:54:47
#213 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

E3 is not far away, everything will be known by then. It has been known for many months, it's targeted for a Fall 2010 launch.

The PS3 with Playstation Move is more than a Wii in HD. The PS3 is able to deliver far more complex gaming experiences, the Playstation Move solution is far more accurate, responsive and takes advantage of the Playstation Eye. Take a look at the demos.

But it is not more than a Wii with WM+ except that you still have a camera to take pictures or record video (aka EyeToy). But a camera could also be released for the Wii...

I still have yet to see anything that proves it's more than a gyro-mouse with regards to manipulating a pointer on the screen for FPS or RTS games.

Quote:
The PS3 also allows for stereoscopic 3D, with the extra depth dimension this can prove to be useful and cool in games.

The launch title "Red Steel" used the Wii Remote's ability to detect its distance from the sensor bar "feature" in the sniper gun to control zooming in. Metroid Prime 3 also uses it to push keylocks it. Generally speaking, not used that much. Nothing new here folks, move along now.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-May-2010 20:04:24
#214 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

What Wii motion plus game does anything like this?

http://i43.tinypic.com/2r5c1nq.gif

Lou 
Posted on 27-May-2010 20:24:40
#215 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

What Wii motion plus game does anything like this?

http://i43.tinypic.com/2r5c1nq.gif

Now MikeB, what did I say about the camera aspect?

Can you now explain to me how those two can sword fight if they aren't looking at the camera? And what happens when those two grown men cross swords? (pun intended) I fail to see the game in this. It's simply a tech demo of augmented reality without much practical purpose.

Show me an actual game.

Add a camera to the Wii placed in the dead center of the sensor bar and the Wii can give you the same tech demo.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-May-2010 21:16:37
#216 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I haven't seen a Wii game track the movement of the controller that accurate.

Obviously for the most innovative implementations of this technology in games we will have to wait a little more. Currently it's all tech demos, personally I think that minority reports demo I linked to earlier was really cool.

I see the potential usage as flashlight and camera control awesome as well:
http://n4g.com/news/518406/alan-wake-is-on-the-wrong-system-this-ps-move-footage-is-proof/com

Come on this stuff is cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrGY6iw-cmI

MikeB 
Posted on 27-May-2010 21:21:28
#217 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
And what happens when those two grown men cross swords? (pun intended)

Use your imagination. Two PS3s networked, both standing in front of a 3DTV, you see the your oponent on your screen, he sees you on his. There should be potential there!

Lou 
Posted on 27-May-2010 21:29:11
#218 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
And what happens when those two grown men cross swords? (pun intended)

Use your imagination. Two PS3s networked, both standing in front of a 3DTV, you see the your oponent on your screen, he sees you on his. There should be potential there!

Nope. Shouldn't the camera be filming your backside then?

This demo showed 2 people in the same room looking at themselves. I guess they can have a MOVE controller juggling competition. Oh what fun.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-May-2010 21:37:39
#219 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Shouldn't the camera be filming your backside then?

No you should be seeing the other person's face from front view just like the camera does.

Even if that would be the case, it could be done in other ways as well as Move tracks depth and position of the controllers and body position relative to the controller.

The only issue is you don't get true feedback when the swords clash, you can feel rumble though and a virtual representation of your foe can be made so that it looks like the swords do clash onscreen (for example with the foe or you having to move back to the original position where the swords clash and swing around the sword, etc).

4D gaming!

Last edited by MikeB on 27-May-2010 at 09:38 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-May-2010 21:48:33
#220 ]
Elite Member

MikeB wrote:

Quote:
CVG revealed Naughty Dog is co-creating the game engine together with Guerilla Games.

My opinion: I think Guerilla Games will benefit greatly from an enhanced streaming engine, probably resulting in a more seamless experience, hopefully like in Uncharted 2!

Seems like I was spot-on with that opinion, from a Eurogamer interview regarding Killzone 3:

"with how seamlessly the game played - so any streaming hiccups during gameplay we want to get rid of completely - so much so that we want to completely get rid of any loading screens at all, even between the levels. So you can start up the game and play it right through to the end and never see a loading screen. You can see already, even in this build, that a lot of those problems, the little frame drops, are pretty much gone."

Haha

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle