Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  3 mins ago
 minator:  17 mins ago
 pixie:  38 mins ago
 zipper:  49 mins ago
 Birbo:  57 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 28-May-2010 1:56:37
#221 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
it's targeted for a Fall 2010 launch
Yes it's been reslated for Fall 2010. Recall this missed prediction by Sony -- "We are slating it for Spring of next year...." Kazuo Hirari Summer 2009 discussing what is now called the PS3 Wand.

Quote:
The PS3 with Playstation Move is more than a Wii in HD
It's a subtleness I contend will not be marketable. We'll see whose right next fall.

There's a taudry joke about someone overly focused swordplay but I'm not going to there...

Last edited by BrianK on 28-May-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Last edited by BrianK on 28-May-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 8:18:55
#222 ]

@BrianK

It's funny like how PS3 owners defined WiiMote a gimmik until they got Move. Now it seems that motion controls are the coolest thing ever existed

Not that I'm complaining, I'm just glad people is finally seeing the light Nintendo turned on above the gaming world: wellcome to a new era of videogaming!!!

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

BigD 
Posted on 28-May-2010 9:01:02
#223 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
Not that I'm complaining, I'm just glad people is finally seeing the light Nintendo turned on above the gaming world: wellcome to a new era of videogaming!!!

The Sonic Minigame on the 'Sega Superstars' EyeToy game excited me more than any Wiimote shovelware that has crept up in the last few years. I actually dread the words, "Do you want a go on the Wii?" when I go to a friends house because I know all they'll have is Wii Sports or Raving Rabbids or some other shocking party game!!! The motion genre is responsible for the dumbing down of computer games and just because Sony now has Move is no reason to expect this situation to improve. For every Killzone 3 there will be 5 shovelware rubbish motion games! Nintendo have brought a black cloud to gaming not a ray of beautiful light!!

P.S. I quite enjoyed World at War on the Wii but the console sounded like a jet engine! The disc access noise was insane and destroyed the atmosphere!

Last edited by BigD on 28-May-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 28-May-2010 at 09:03 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-May-2010 10:27:19
#224 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
It's funny like how PS3 owners defined WiiMote a gimmik until they got Move. Now it seems that motion controls are the coolest thing ever existed

I wonder who you would be referring to here on AmigaWorld? I know at least not to me!

Many years ago I wrote:

"I would love to see a Wii-Mote like device for the PS3"

"I still would like to see a Wii-like device on the PS3"

For example,

MikeB 
Posted on 28-May-2010 12:14:31
#225 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
For every Killzone 3

Hardcore gamers can stick to beholding the glory of Killzone 3 and PS3 exclusives alike:

Screenshots:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rWAqJk6FBP0/S_7VDHkAFdI/AAAAAAAAAIM/xPx2YxEDovw/s1600/xxq6o8.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rWAqJk6FBP0/S_7aFoHVOeI/AAAAAAAAAJM/lTFULX10YvM/s1600/4l9ki.jpeg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rWAqJk6FBP0/S_7V_P97EbI/AAAAAAAAAIU/Jt-Jyk1RwO8/s1600/xv64p.jpg

Just like stereoscopic 3D will be optional, likely Playstation Move support will be included as an option as well. It has already been demonstrated in public with games like LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM 4 and Resident Evil 5 that the technology can work well together with many different kinds of traditional Playstation game experiences.

Quote:
there will be 5 shovelware rubbish motion games! Nintendo have brought a black cloud to gaming not a ray of beautiful light!!

You can rest assured Sony is aware of the potential risks involved, shares our concerns and will be doing their best to combat a flood of shovelware. From a recent interview:

Quote:
Are you worried that with Move, games are just going to be ports across all of the 3D motion platforms? The Wii is full of shovelware. We all recognize that.

RD: Yes. And I think we can do a lot about that. Now, are there going to be things like that? Sure. We'll do everything we can, whether it's up-res, add trophies, and do things and make it network-only so you don't see it on a disc, but at the same time, we don't have to approve it if we don't want to go down that path.

The other thing you also see is less and less of that shovelware on the Wii, because people realize it costs money, they're not getting placement at retail. Even at a $19 or $9.99 price point, it doesn't sell. Why do I want to chase it on this category as well? We're not getting such a huge amount of concept submissions that we look at this and say, "You know what? We've got big problems." That's not been the issue.

I think people have gone back very conservatively at the beginning to say, "Okay. What's going to work on this?" They're taking lessons away, but also understanding, "Hey, you know what? Sony's going to go after this [motion control] for hardcore as well as the casual. Let's see what we can try and do, and let's see what's going to work for each one of these consumer groups."

You alluded to concept approval. Nintendo doesn't have it. Sony has had concept approval since day one with the PlayStation 1. What purpose do you think that serves in the market in 2010?

RD: Look, I don't want to be arbiter of taste. I want to give consumers that opportunity to decide if something is going to be successful or not, and I know how hard it is having sat on the other side, and gone through it... I saw some very capricious concept approval meetings. I know how hard those can be.

At the same time, I also see the benefit, particularly at retail when you have a limited number of slots and you're trying to get something placed, and you can't because there's so much crap out there. How you actually get your product to market. So we have continued to have concept approval in order to give a semblance of control.

But the other thing, too, is we don't want to race to the bottom. And if you were to talk to people at Apple, I think the first thing they tell you with regards to iPhone apps and iPhone... A couple of things went horribly wrong. You got a race to the bottom, price and quality-wise.

I mean, how many versions of Bejeweled do you need? 30 enough? 50? How many do you need? We prefer to say "one". We'd much rather be able to at least have an economy that people can make money on, and we don't want to be the first to get to the bottom. And that, to me, demands some level of concept approval.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4709/the_sony_situation_sceas_rob_.php?page=5

Last edited by MikeB on 28-May-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 28-May-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 28-May-2010 at 12:15 PM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 13:06:18
#226 ]

@MikeB

Someone like BigD for Instance ;)

No offence intended, everyone is free to have his own preferences.
But, BigD, you have to know that MotionControls is not the same thing as shovelware party games. Motion control is a way of gaming, a way so new that few programmers understood it's true potential and so started to write shovelware party games.

Wii is more than that! Okami, Zelda, MadWorld, Re4, ForceUnleashed, RedSteel (I/II) are just examples of the good games you can achieve with a motion controlled console.
Now that we have also Move the software houses will create even more excellent motion controlled games.

You know what? Can't wait for the next, more robust and efficent generation of motion controllers!

BigD 
Posted on 28-May-2010 13:32:50
#227 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
Okami, Zelda, MadWorld, Re4, ForceUnleashed, RedSteel (I/II)

None of which sell at retail! I have not seen any of these games at my 1/2 a dozen Wii owning friends houses. Call of Duty: World at War was good but gimmicky and I prefer the HD PS3 version on a joypad!

What's the point of motion controls? If you want to jump around like a loon get a dance mat, SingStar or EyeToy. I fail to see what value the WiiMote has above the value of these other devices! At least you know you'll get a dancing game from the development of a dance mat, a singing game from a Mic and a popping balloons/heading a football type game from the Eyetoy! But will you get an awesome sword play game from a Wiimote? No it's far more likely to be used as a mallet to hit Rabbids or a steering wheel or a fishing line!!!

Last edited by BigD on 28-May-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:01:28
#228 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@ErikBauer

Quote:

The Sonic Minigame on the 'Sega Superstars' EyeToy game excited me more than any Wiimote shovelware that has crept up in the last few years. I actually dread the words, "Do you want a go on the Wii?" when I go to a friends house because I know all they'll have is Wii Sports or Raving Rabbids or some other shocking party game!!! The motion genre is responsible for the dumbing down of computer games and just because Sony now has Move is no reason to expect this situation to improve. For every Killzone 3 there will be 5 shovelware rubbish motion games! Nintendo have brought a black cloud to gaming not a ray of beautiful light!!

P.S. I quite enjoyed World at War on the Wii but the console sounded like a jet engine! The disc access noise was insane and destroyed the atmosphere!

Buy Monster Hunter 3:Tri. You can play that with Wii controllers, Gamecube or my preference Classic Contoller Pro.

It will impress you.

Lou 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:06:34
#229 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@ErikBauer

Quote:

I wonder who you would be referring to here on AmigaWorld? I know at least not to me!

Many years ago I wrote:

"I would love to see a Wii-Mote like device for the PS3"

"I still would like to see a Wii-like device on the PS3"

For example,

But there are about 50 million other fanboys who did.

@BigD
The leading system of any generation of consoles always get the most low-grade software. That's where the low-grade developers target their resources for a quick cash-in. PS1+PS2 has alot of garbage software. On the PS3, if you can't sell 2 million copies, it's not worth developing it exclusively.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

BigD 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:18:36
#230 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

I hate the players who buy the rubbish games that puts money in the developers' pockets that creates more rubbish games!!

Last edited by BigD on 28-May-2010 at 02:18 PM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:32:40
#231 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@ErikBauer

Quote:
Okami, Zelda, MadWorld, Re4, ForceUnleashed, RedSteel (I/II)

None of which sell at retail! I have not seen any of these games at my 1/2 a dozen Wii owning friends houses. Call of Duty: World at War was good but gimmicky and I prefer the HD PS3 version on a joypad!

What's the point of motion controls? If you want to jump around like a loon get a dance mat, SingStar or EyeToy. I fail to see what value the WiiMote has above the value of these other devices! At least you know you'll get a dancing game from the development of a dance mat, a singing game from a Mic and a popping balloons/heading a football type game from the Eyetoy! But will you get an awesome sword play game from a Wiimote? No it's far more likely to be used as a mallet to hit Rabbids or a steering wheel or a fishing line!!!

The point of motion controls is to play to better controls than a joypad. I mean: playing an FPS with joypad is a torture for someone used to Keyboard + Mouse. Playing an FPS with Wii motion controls is, after a little learning curve, pure joy and in plus of that you have more immersion effect as you relly hold something in your hand and point it towards your opponents! Reloading the gun with a right hand wirst shake is more satisfactory than pressing R on your keyboard or O on your joypad. Launching granades actually miming it with your left hand is better too!

I do not know what your friends bought their wii for, but mine bought it for playing the above named games (plus others) and we (me and my friends) all concur that motion controls are a great addition to gameplay.

I wish you lived near me just to show you the joy of using force powers while moving your hands or playing Quake 1 with motion controls. Then I'd show you how wonderful MadWorld is... But of course if you are interested in just steroid GFX ( No offence, just a way to put words together)... Wii is not for you.

BigD 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:41:54
#232 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
Then I'd show you how wonderful MadWorld is... But of course if you are interested in just steroid GFX ( No offence, just a way to put words together)... Wii is not for you.

I am not interested in steroid GFX and would be VERY interested in a proper Motion Control Star Wars game. The Force Unleashed however got bad review scores and was commented on as having a very short campaign mode! Hardly worth buying a Wii for!

Quote:
Nintendo Power praised the story and the number of lightsaber combos but criticized the game's easiness and hack-and-slash gameplay.[136] It also praised the Wii version for its story and Force powers, but criticized the game's lightsaber controls and linear gameplay.

Quote:
GameSpot also speculated that The Force Unleashed is "possibly the most waggle-heavy" Wii game.[92] Zero Punctuation criticized the Wii version's graphics and level design, and compared lightsaber combat to "trying to follow an aerobics routine with both your arms tied to different windmills".

Last edited by BigD on 28-May-2010 at 02:47 PM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:47:03
#233 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

I hate the players who buy the rubbish games that puts money in the developers' pockets that creates more rubbish games!!

I agree with you here! That is one of the main reasons why Wii is full of shovelware

ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:50:23
#234 ]

@BigD

Ok, if you are just looking for a Lightsabre duel simulation you're offtrack with this generation of motion controllers.
Yes, Force Unleshed lacks in storymode length, but 1Vs1 gameplay is pretty fun!

Btw: if you are looking for something different from a lightsabre simulation, I can assure you that Zelda, RedSteel, Madworld, Re4 and Force Unleashed put together are worth buying a Wii. Nobody forces you to buy shovelware just because you own a Wii.

BigD 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:52:34
#235 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
Btw: if you are looking for something different from a lightsabre simulation, I can assure you that Zelda, RedSteel, Madworld, Re4 and Force Unleashed put together are worth buying a Wii. Nobody forces you to buy shovelware just because you own a Wii.

Ok, thanks for your comments. If you throw in a copy of the GameCube classic 'Rogue Squadron 3' and I'm sold. Shall we say £150?

ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:54:16
#236 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Quote:
Nintendo Power praised the story and the number of lightsaber combos but criticized the game's easiness and hack-and-slash gameplay.[136] It also praised the Wii version for its story and Force powers, but criticized the game's lightsaber controls and linear gameplay.

Quote:
GameSpot also speculated that The Force Unleashed is "possibly the most waggle-heavy" Wii game.[92] Zero Punctuation criticized the Wii version's graphics and level design, and compared lightsaber combat to "trying to follow an aerobics routine with both your arms tied to different windmills".

Yes, you can finish Force Unleashed waggling the Wiimote, it's true. But if you put a little effort in your gaming you'll discover that fluent movements are translated in better and more sequenced blows by your on screen alter ego. Not a Lightsabre simulation, of course, the sowordfight of Red Steel was better, true. But the overall game is not as bad as they depict it.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 28-May-2010 14:58:03
#237 ]

@MikeB

Those screenshots look really impressive! Technically speaking the PS3 seems to be far from be used at it's top, each new game looks more impressive than the past ones.
Adding Move to it, makes Killzone 3 a good killer app for bringing Wii owners to buy the Sony's console

BrianK 
Posted on 28-May-2010 16:33:12
#238 ]
Elite Member

Larrabee's Dead at least in the near term according to Intel. This leaves the video cards and direction to Nvidia and AMD/ATI. Larrabee simply wasn't competitive in the OpenGL or Direct X performance areas. So, those rumors of a PS4 w/ Cell2 and Larrabee are confirmed to be the rumors they were.

On die GPU's are advancing. This fall they should be 10x faster then 2006 integrated chip graphics and more powerful than the GPU in the Xbox 360. Might make for a good WiiHD option next year.

Lou 
Posted on 28-May-2010 16:47:57
#239 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@ErikBauer

Quote:
Then I'd show you how wonderful MadWorld is... But of course if you are interested in just steroid GFX ( No offence, just a way to put words together)... Wii is not for you.

I am not interested in steroid GFX and would be VERY interested in a proper Motion Control Star Wars game. The Force Unleashed however got bad review scores and was commented on as having a very short campaign mode! Hardly worth buying a Wii for!

LOL The Wii version had 2 extra levels in it, iirc.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gamespot rarely reviews "motion" games well because they get heavily paid by MS/SONY. Rent them and make up your own mind.

Red Steel 2 is probably the game you wanna play.

That said, a sword game will never feel real because you have no counter-force when you slash and hit something.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-May-2010 19:41:34
#240 ]
Elite Member

Ex-Microsoft Studio Boss: 'Natal Will Fail'

"Plays like this always fragment and the disincentive to developers is powerful; when I'm spending tens of millions on a game, the last thing I want to do is lose 90 per cent of my market."

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/3276/ex-microsoft-studio-boss-natal-will-fail

I think it's risky how much Microsoft has hyped Natal, making it make or break for it's PR. So far they haven't shown good examples how Natal would work properly with games XBox fans are know to love (Halo, Fable, Gears of War, etc) unlike Sony.

Actually IMO they have shown nothing interesting so far. For Sony it seems far less risky as we can expect the better 3rd party Wii games to be redone and potentially improved on relatively easily, for Natal mainly some old Eyetoy games look similar enough.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle