Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 HammerD:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 slygon:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 34 mins ago
 MagicSN:  4 hrs 34 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 25 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  6 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
cecilia 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Posted on 25-May-2005 17:12:40
#261 ]
Cult Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Science, in my eyes has done WAY WAY WAY WAY more than any religion ever has to cure social ills.

I promote that science should be the highest budgeted concern of governments.

And I completely agree!
it's seems america is falling far behind in education in general and science in particular. it is one of the reasons for the american downfall of the last several decades.

Al Bean painted this re-enactment of Galileo's famous experiment as done on the moon.

Quote:
After more than three and a half centuries, at a distance of 239,000 miles give or take a few, from his home in Florence, Italy, Galileo Galilei's discovery that "gravity pulls all bodies equally regardless of their weight" was clearly and vividly demonstrated before a television audience that spanned the planet Earth. He would have loved it.

The subtlety and beauty of this concept is breathtaking.

why do some people want to remain in the smallness of some fairy-tales when the Universe is so hugh and vast? Who hasn't been made breathless by any picture from the HUBBLE telescope. don't people realize they are traveling in time AND space?

Profile     Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 17:13:21
#262 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:
Hes got until Sunday

quick question what if he does not log in before then? he won't know the thread will be locked after then.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 17:15:26
# ]

@klesterjr

Quote:

(Hopefully, I'm not on your LIST now, too! )

Depends... What do you taste like?

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 17:47:57
#264 ]
Elite Member

@DruidPoet

Quote:

DruidPoet wrote:
@klesterjr

Quote:

(Hopefully, I'm not on your LIST now, too! )

Depends... What do you taste like?

chicken

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

AmigaRocks 
Posted on 25-May-2005 18:16:02
#265 ]

@Wiffy

Quote:
This, as in the whole set of circumstances. Go read it back from the start to get a picture of where I am coming from.

Hi Wiffy What is the whole set of circumstances that allow a member to have an unmoderated thread anyway I've been following this thread since its start and just wondered

Also, I notice your title of Team Administrator but you aren't listed, nor is any other team administrator listed on the About Us page. Whats up with that

BTW My friends here have an award for someone who starts something like this thread. We call it the "Golden Spoon Award" It is given to those who excell in stirring up the most sh##. I think Billsey may have earned one after reading the thread

Last edited by Peg on 25-May-2005 at 06:16 PM.

AmigaRocks!!

BrianK 
Posted on 25-May-2005 18:42:40
#266 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Getting back on topic .... Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others ....

That's okay if your version of God allows it. So, really only the people moderated should be those who's version of God doesn't allow that activity. Else the moderaters would be foisting their religious beliefs on others and that would be wrong in the religious views of the moderators and who is moderated but right in those whose God says views should be foisted. Right?

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 18:47:49
#267 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Thread

Getting back on topic .... Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others ....

That's okay if your version of God allows it. So, really only the people moderated should be those who's version of God doesn't allow that activity. Else the moderaters would be foisting their religious beliefs on others and that would be wrong in the religious views of the moderators and who is moderated but right in those whose God says views should be foisted. Right?

This might help you Brian!

BrianK 
Posted on 25-May-2005 18:56:55
#268 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas
Quote:
This might help you Brian!

Zardoz 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:09:42
#269 ]
Team Member

@DJRJ

Actually, this is something that is not believed in Orthodox Christianity (which is the original christianity after all), there's no ultimate destination, man is free to choose what he does. According to the orthodox church, after they disobeyed, they were again given the choice to repent and refused (Adam accused Eve and Eve accused the snake) and only then did they get kicked out. Oh, and BTW, hell with torture and BS is a catholic thing, Orthodox Christians believe that hell is psychological unhappiness for all eternity.

Now, it's wierd what one learns from religious studies at school... :P

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:12:16
#270 ]
Team Member

@jkirk

It is. God is God (He, the Father) in the old Testament. The New Testament introduces his two friends.

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:16:37
#271 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

You're not doing a good job actually. There's a high profile atheist in Greece that is a host in various shows all the time. He knows most of the bible by heart, in ancient Greek and quotes it all the time when he wants to prove his stance.

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:24:17
#272 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:
Orthodox Christianity (which is the original christianity after all)

I don't think you want to go were that statement leads to Alkis.

jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:37:05
#273 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@jkirk

It is. God is God (He, the Father) in the old Testament. The New Testament introduces his two friends.

i understand what you are saying but in this case you have two choices. does "us" hint at the trinity or does it hint at god and his angels? either way is a valid point.

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:45:23
#274 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

Well, it's the truth, even while I'm not a believer... It was the original church, from which the Catholic church emerged (because a Pope wanted to become the leader of the church). Most other churches emerged from the Catholic. All the oppressive stuff of the Catholic church during the medieval tiles are frowned upon by the orthodox church. Nicholas, I became a non-believer by studying the bible, in Greek...

BrianK 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:52:11
#275 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@jkirk

i understand what you are saying but in this case you have two choices. does "us" hint at the trinity or does it hint at god and his angels? either way is a valid point.

Another theory is 'us' indicates God and other gods. The oldest hebrew text uses the plural, elohim, not the singular, eloah. Various Christian sects did accept polytheism..

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 19:57:57
#276 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@nicholas

Well, it's the truth, even while I'm not a believer... It was the original church, from which the Catholic church emerged (because a Pope wanted to become the leader of the church). Most other churches emerged from the Catholic. All the oppressive stuff of the Catholic church during the medieval tiles are frowned upon by the orthodox church. Nicholas, I became a non-believer by studying the bible, in Greek...

The Jerusalem Church headed by James (Jesus brother), was the first Jewish Christian church.

The Pauline Christian branch (of which all modern variants are descended from) of Christianity (including Orthodox) was the first Gentile Christian church.

James church died around 60-68 CE when he did. The Pauline (Roman Catholic/Orthodox) Christians wiped out most Jewish Christian literature in a purgearound the same time give or take 30 years. this was when the Gospel of Thomas was written, and was conveniently left out of the New Testement (Quite like the Greek Q Gospel which Matthew & Luke borrowed heavily from), which was a collection of Jesus sayings. The few remaing Jewish Christians were known as Gnostics. I have no doubt you know the origin of the word Gnosis Alkis!

-edit
1056 AD
Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox churches split over their different
trinities, papal authority, different modes of water baptism, and the
veneration dead saints and images. It should be noted because of the language
difference between Greek and Latin and the trinity difference between East
and West the unofficial split took place around 500 AD but the official split
did not take place until 1056 AD.

Last edited by nicholas on 25-May-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-May-2005 20:16:06
#277 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

Yes, these were known as the early churches. The Orthodox church accepts 4 gospels, just like the Catholic church but unlike them, they do not change anything into them. There are parts that have been distorted in the Catholic church gospels.

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 20:35:37
#278 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@nicholas

Yes, these were known as the early churches. The Orthodox church accepts 4 gospels, just like the Catholic church but unlike them, they do not change anything into them. There are parts that have been distorted in the Catholic church gospels.

All the gospels have been changed though, translation from Amharic & Hebrew to Greek & atin and back several times usually has that effect on a book.

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 20:47:14
#279 ]

@AMiGR

Lest we forgot the Ethiopian and Armenian Churches too.

Ethopians today still speak and write in Amharic the language the bible was mostly written in. Is their bible the least corrupted version perhaps? What about the Kebra Nagast too?

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-May-2005 20:55:46
#280 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

I can't remember which, but some of the gospels were written in Greek in the first place, not Amharic (the Apocalypse for example). The old testament is in Amharic but not "most of the new testament".

Edit: typos.

Last edited by AMiGR on 25-May-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Last edited by AMiGR on 25-May-2005 at 08:57 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle