Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  26 mins ago
 A1200:  51 mins ago
 HammerD:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 slygon:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 MagicSN:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  5 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
jkirk 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Posted on 26-May-2005 11:52:00
#301 ]
Elite Member

@treblesix

Quote:

treblesix wrote:
@jkirk

The church is power, and power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

true true
although i would change one word in that statement.
The church HAS power, and power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Profile     Report this post  
TrebleSix 
Posted on 26-May-2005 11:54:07
#302 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@treblesix

Quote:

treblesix wrote:
@jkirk

The church is power, and power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

true true
although i would change one word in that statement.
The church HAS power, and power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That's what I thought I put lol, I'll change it
its lunch time, so time for a walk

nicholas 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 26-May-2005 11:57:49
#303 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:
That's right we all hate each other's concept of God but really it's just a small thing

afaik at least between judaic and christian religions the god in one is the same as the god in the other. the only thing of contention is judaic if they recognize him at all see jesus as a good man and still await the arrival of the son of god. in the muslim religion afaik the same god is worshipped but under a different name and the major prophet(similar to jesus christ) is also named differently. so there is not much difference between the three fundamentally where the get hung up on is the details.

p.s. any muslim out there is what i say accurate? i don't know much about the muslem faith.

More or less correct I'd say. Something you won't know though: Muslims revere Mary mother of Jesus as much as the Catholic's do. Possibly more.

Islam and Christianity are just variations of Judaism.

Maybe you've all got it wrong, and the Holy Trinity is the 3 Semitic religions!

DJRJ 
Posted on 26-May-2005 12:02:00
#304 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
jkirk wrote:
afaik at least between judaic and christian religions the god in one is the same as the god in the other. the only thing of contention is judaic if they recognize him at all see jesus as a good man and still await the arrival of the son of god. in the muslim religion afaik the same god is worshipped but under a different name and the major prophet(similar to jesus christ) is also named differently. so there is not much difference between the three fundamentally where the get hung up on is the details.

p.s. any muslim out there is what i say accurate? i don't know much about the muslem faith.

Okay, while not at all claiming any real authority on the matter I am under the impression that Moslems see themselves worshipping the same God as do the Jews and the Christians, it's just that they follow the last true Prophet of God. In times past Islam even referred to followers of Judaism and Christianity as 'Brothers of the Book'.

Some Moslems even go as far as to regard Jesus Christ not as the Son of God, but as one of God's prophets. This is the reason why Salman Rushdie ended up in so much hot water with Ayatollah Khomeini back in the 80's after his book 'The Satanic Verses' was published, and which was seen as being a slam against Jesus Christ.

Doug

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

nicholas 
Posted on 26-May-2005 12:08:42
#305 ]

@DJRJ

Quote:

DJRJ wrote:
Quote:
jkirk wrote:

Okay, while not at all claiming any real authority on the matter I am under the impression that Moslems see themselves worshipping the same God as do the Jews and the Christians, it's just that they follow the last true Prophet of God. In times past Islam even referred to followers of Judaism and Christianity as 'Brothers of the Book'.

Some Moslems even go as far as to regard Jesus Christ not as the Son of God, but as one of God's prophets. This is the reason why Salman Rushdie ended up in so much hot water with Ayatollah Khomeini back in the 80's after his book 'The Satanic Verses' was published, and which was seen as being a slam against Jesus Christ.

Doug

Mr Rushdie got in trouble because he wrote a novel where a "prophet" wrote an entire holy book under instruction of the devil. Similar to a story in the Quran where Muhammed was inspired by satan regarding three idols worshipped by the arabs (who were all pagan back then). Ayatollah Khomeni didn't like it so ordered the execution of Rushdie, the sadi Fatwa on his life.

DJRJ 
Posted on 26-May-2005 12:17:39
#306 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
nicholas wrote:

Mr Rushdie got in trouble because he wrote a novel where a "prophet" wrote an entire holy book under instruction of the devil. Similar to a story in the Quran where Muhammed was inspired by satan regarding three idols worshipped by the arabs (who were all pagan back then). Ayatollah Khomeni didn't like it so ordered the execution of Rushdie, the sadi Fatwa on his life.

Okay, I'll bow to your superior kung-fu, or something like that.

Doug

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

A1200 
Posted on 26-May-2005 12:19:32
#307 ]
Elite Member

Still no Bilsey? Oh well. I have an idea, how about chapel.amigaworld.net a place for Bilsey and all his flock.

Moderated by Wiffy, reason: borderline comment being edited out to allow the thread to be returned to free-for-all.

@ Wiffy

Is the database being pulled apart by this thread? It would figure, as religion destroys most things we have accomplished.

Last edited by Wiffy on 30-May-2005 at 01:55 PM.

A1200 
Posted on 26-May-2005 12:21:55
#308 ]
Elite Member

Balse - Tony Montana (Scarface) would pronounce it Balse, sounds good, don't it?

nicholas 
Posted on 26-May-2005 12:35:42
#309 ]

@DJRJ

Quote:

DJRJ wrote:
Quote:
nicholas wrote:

Okay, I'll bow to your superior kung-fu, or something like that.

Doug

My secondary school had a majority Islamic student population. Must have rubbed off on me!

I have got a copy of the Quran on my bookshelf, so i can refer to that during heated internet debates too.

jkirk 
Posted on 26-May-2005 13:10:00
#310 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@jkirk

Hmmmmm...............me thinks............maybe?

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

nicholas 
Posted on 26-May-2005 13:18:38
#311 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@jkirk

Hmmmmm...............me thinks............maybe?

Judochrislam anyone? Group hug now!

jkirk 
Posted on 26-May-2005 13:25:58
#312 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

hug hug

nicholas 
Posted on 26-May-2005 13:32:15
#313 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@nicholas

hug hug

Shouldn't that be "hug hug hug"? That's were the trouble starts when you accidently leave one party out. Best to cover all bases and nip it in the bud at the beginning if we are to successfully re-unite ALL three religions.

BrianK 
Posted on 26-May-2005 14:05:12
#314 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:

afaik at least between judaic and christian religions the god in one is the same as the god in the other

Never said it wasn't I said 'concept of God'.

Quote:

only thing of contention is judaic if they recognize him at all see jesus as a good man and still await the arrival of the son of god

Which backups up my statement ' concept of God'.

jkirk 
Posted on 26-May-2005 14:18:37
#315 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@jkirk

Quote:

afaik at least between judaic and christian religions the god in one is the same as the god in the other

Never said it wasn't I said 'concept of God'.

Quote:

only thing of contention is judaic if they recognize him at all see jesus as a good man and still await the arrival of the son of god

Which backups up my statement ' concept of God'.

maybe we are talking two different things but as i understand it the concept of god is the same. it is the rest of the beliefs that don't match up. some aspects of beliefs overlap the 3 religions some don't.

jkirk 
Posted on 26-May-2005 14:19:44
#316 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@nicholas

hug hug

Shouldn't that be "hug hug hug"? That's were the trouble starts when you accidently leave one party out. Best to cover all bases and nip it in the bud at the beginning if we are to successfully re-unite ALL three religions.

sorry

nicholas 
Posted on 26-May-2005 14:30:19
#317 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

maybe we are talking two different things but as i understand it the concept of god is the same. it is the rest of the beliefs that don't match up. some aspects of beliefs overlap the 3 religions some don't.

A colleague of mine is a deeply religious Muslim, and is a very tolerant and respectful of others beliefs. He basically sees Judaism, Christianity and Islam as the same religion.

He says Moses messages from God were corrupted by man, so Jesus was sent by God to show people the error of their ways, then Jesus messages from God were further corrupted by man so God sent the Angel Gabriel to Mohammed to dictate word for word the literal message of God in the form of the Quran so that there would be no further corruption of his message. Hence why the Quran has never been translated from Arabic, only "interpreted" by man onto other languages for reference purposes and these interpretations are supposed to be accompanied by the original Arabic text for completeness.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Mohammed was illiterate, and the written form of Arabic used in the Quran was not the same arabic spoken by Mohammed.

Last edited by nicholas on 26-May-2005 at 02:30 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 26-May-2005 15:04:00
#318 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:

He says Moses messages from God were corrupted by man, so Jesus was sent by God to show people the error of their ways, then Jesus messages from God were further corrupted by man so God sent the Angel Gabriel to Mohammed to dictate word for word the literal message of God in the form of the Quran so that there would be no further corruption of his message. Hence why the Quran has never been translated from Arabic, only "interpreted" by man onto other languages for reference purposes and these interpretations are supposed to be accompanied by the original Arabic text for completeness

Seems familar as God sent Angels to Joseph Smith and Mormonism was formed.

nicholas 
Posted on 26-May-2005 15:06:52
#319 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:

He says Moses messages from God were corrupted by man, so Jesus was sent by God to show people the error of their ways, then Jesus messages from God were further corrupted by man so God sent the Angel Gabriel to Mohammed to dictate word for word the literal message of God in the form of the Quran so that there would be no further corruption of his message. Hence why the Quran has never been translated from Arabic, only "interpreted" by man onto other languages for reference purposes and these interpretations are supposed to be accompanied by the original Arabic text for completeness

Seems familar as God sent Angels to Joseph Smith and Mormonism was formed.

God sent angels to me when I was 18 and sat in the chill out arena at a rave.

Mind you, I had taken 12 E's, 4 gram's of whizz, half a trip, and several lines of coke. Did I mention the Jack Daniels too?

A1200 
Posted on 26-May-2005 15:39:49
#320 ]
Elite Member

and for the 320th post on this thread: Jesus on e's thats was a good demo!

See what I did there, made the Free for All section and the rest of the site become less defined. Oh how I can influence your minds, just sitting at this desk.

Edit: Can't count....

Last edited by A1200 on 26-May-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle