Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 55 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  gryfon,  Birbo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 mins ago
 gryfon:  4 mins ago
 bhabbott:  10 mins ago
 minator:  34 mins ago
 pixie:  55 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Posted on 8-Mar-2008 14:40:35
#341 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

So, update your firmware. Turn the info board off (not really usefull at this point). A very rare issue as you can judge from comments from NeoGAF users.

From what I've seen R&C: TOD stands head and shoulders above deadlocked. Personal preference asside R&C: TOD and Uncharted are two of the (if not "THE") most technically impressive console games so far.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2008 14:59:31
#342 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Xbox failure rates are about 16%. Of course the newer revisions are shorter lived and less impacting. Everyone expects that # to decrease within a year.

Although that would still be way above industry standards, that's not really the case, the real figure is higher. The first report lacked any details, meanwhile a second update clarified some things.

The report only covered a sample of 1000 units for a period of 10 months, failure rate increases over time. Usually failures per year are used as a measurement, not failure per 10 months.

And secondly and probably most importantly for some units customers may have bypassed this warranty service and the unit was send straight back to Microsoft.

Thus the report was really of little value, only thing interesting about the report was that 91% of their sample were XBox Premiums and more than half of the rest were Core units, suggesting what many already believed, that the Elite has been intentionally released in extremely low quantities so far (maybe to fake overwhelming demand).

wegster 
Posted on 8-Mar-2008 20:14:10
#343 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Firmware is up to date, and XMB is disabled. Problem persists.

NeoGAF != the world, sorry. I already gave you a thread where others have the same issue.

Deadlocked has better gameplay, you saying you don't agree won't change my mind on that one, so you can stop on that path.

What makes you think R&C:TOD and Uncharted are 'the most technically impressive console games'? Visually they're OK, Uncharted is pretty, but gets repetitive.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2008 13:08:53
#344 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

NeoGAF has all kinds of gamers, many hardcore users who own all three systems. For nearly everyone else R&C: TOD is rock solid, IMO that needs to be pointed out considering the comments within this thread.

IMO Uncharted has some very nice varierty, awesome jungle rides with the jeep, great jetski sections especially the one going upwards waterfalls, many different hand-to-hand fighting combos, etc.

Uncharted is a beatifull early technical wonder on the PS3, no install time, no in-game loading times, extreme attention to detail like animations, wind interactivity like leaves and shadows moving or down to Elena's self-shadowing hair moving in the wind are all very well done and water effects like getting wet up to the level you were in the water, rain pouring down walls, etc. Production values are through the roof with very good acting and story telling performances, pretty unique for Naughty Dog's first attempt at a new franchise for the PS3.

Last edited by MikeB on 09-Mar-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 09-Mar-2008 at 01:23 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-Mar-2008 20:17:01
#345 ]
Elite Member

MikeB wrote:

Quote:
The report only covered a sample of 1000 units for a period of 10 months, failure rate increases over time. Usually failures per year are used as a measurement, not failure per 10 months.

And secondly and probably most importantly for some units customers may have bypassed this warranty service and the unit was send straight back to Microsoft.

Correction 6-10 months....

Samwel 
Posted on 12-Mar-2008 4:37:40
#346 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I own Uncharted but not R&C: TOD. I have however played the demo.

I agree with you that Uncharted is indeed technically the best (I've seen).
Nothing I have ever seen on a console comes near IMO. I'm mainly talking
about the graphics. The sound was also really good and the "no loading"
techique as well. I have only played 15-20% through so I can't really comment
fully on how the game is. So far it's been enjoying anyway.

The demo of Ratchet did also impress me with all the detail and the smooth
animation. I also found it really amusing. Not having played the full game I
can't comment on how it is. But if it's anything near the demo I would think
it's really good.
Regarding being unstable.. The demo was rock stable, can't comment on
the full game though. Also I think the bug mentioned has been fixed in
firmware v2.10.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

MikeB 
Posted on 12-Mar-2008 20:17:37
#347 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

BTW, a Motorstorm teaser trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31751.html

Press release:

"MotorStorm™ returns this autumn on PLAYSTATION®3: Prepare for the next instalment of the world’s most brutal off-road racing festival

o A brand new location: experience the grandeur, diversity and unpredictability of a remote Pacific island
o 16 new diverse multi-route tracks hosting MotorStorm’s unique mixture of vehicles
o The aggressive monster truck now joins your garage
o Split-Screen Multiplayer racing – compete with up to four buddies on the same screen

It’s the best selling PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) title to date and now, it’s time to take to the starting grid again as the MotorStorm™ festival heads to the tropics.

The first MotorStorm wowed critics and gamers alike with its heady formula of brutal, unpredictable off-road racing, festival vibes and stunning Monument Valley desert scenery. This new outing takes you to a solitary tropical paradise in the Pacific Ocean, ready for a whole new take on no-holds-barred racing action through thick swamps, dense jungle, towering peaks and steaming volcanoes.

Not just pretty backdrops to the action, these environments take centre stage in challenging players with everything in Mother Nature’s ####nal. Thick mud, tangled undergrowth, swift flowing rivers, choking volcanic clouds and searing lava pools all test the drivers to their limits and beyond.

Using the power of PLAYSTATION®Network, 16 players can race head-to-head online and, for the first time in the series, racers can hit the gas in four-player split-screen mode.

All of the vehicle classes from the first MotorStorm are here again: ATVs, rally cars, buggies, motorbikes, race trucks, mudpluggers and Big Rigs – as well as the newly arrived monster trucks that climb, sprint and roll over any other vehicle in their way.
Delivered to you on Blu-ray Disc, expect a rich festival of off road racing, along with a host of game modes and rewards. It’s brutal, dangerous, relentless, and unpredictable and more than a game - MotorStorm is way of life so stay tuned, the festival is back this autumn and promises to be larger than ever before."

Looks and sounds sweet so far! BTW, the original games sold over 3 million copies.

Samwel 
Posted on 12-Mar-2008 23:16:11
#348 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Hehe MotorStorm 2 looks really nice. As did the original. Let's see how it plays.

Btw 3 million is including bundled sales I guess?

MikeB 
Posted on 13-Mar-2008 9:08:56
#349 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Yes, but that puts the game about on par with Gears of War which sold 4.5 million copies including bundled sales (although CliffyB did not specify if this includes PC sales). Gears has been available longer and the 360 still has a larger worldwide install base although the gap is closing rapidly and this will facilitate from MGS4's release and onwards, the PS3 has a chance to overtake the 360 worldwide install base for the end of this year.

The sales ratio is pretty good.

BrianK 
Posted on 13-Mar-2008 18:59:49
#350 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Looks and sounds sweet so far

Video was mostly pre-rendered video footage not gameplay. They make some nice fly over water scenes. I was hopeful with the first one. Excite Truck on the Wii ended up being more fun and controlable, IMO. I hope this one is more then prettier.

MikeB 
Posted on 13-Mar-2008 20:26:31
#351 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

I think the controls are just fine for Motorstorm, the most fun racer I have played for a long time. I have completed all tickets up to level 3 and most tickets on level 4 (ending first). Some people think the game is too hard, but I like a challenge.

Youtube doesn't show off the good graphics and the sound quality sucks, but you can get a taste of the action:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BE1fTmdfB2s
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wOEnznSP-y4

Excite Truck isn't for me, I hope Motorstorm 2 is more like Motorstorm than Excite Truck.

MikeB 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 0:25:29
#352 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

You were wrong. NPD's February figures.

Nintendo DS 587.6k
Nintendo Wii 432k
PlayStation 2 351.8k
PlayStation 3 280.8k
XBOX 360 254.6k
PlayStation Portable 243.1k

PS3 beats 360 again last month in North America. Strong PS2, Wii and DS sales!

Samwel 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 0:31:53
#353 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

More controllable doesn't mean more realistic though?
Aswell as more "speed sense" means more realistic?

Can be more fun though as a pure game.
It all depends on what you like.. I like the realistic approach better
myself.

To me the MotorStorm engine could be extremely fun to use in
the jungle roads. It will be a graphical treat anyway I'm sure.
Let's see when the actual game arrives.

Lou 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 11:43:16
#354 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

You were wrong. NPD's February figures.

Nintendo DS 587.6k
Nintendo Wii 432k
PlayStation 2 351.8k
PlayStation 3 280.8k
XBOX 360 254.6k
PlayStation Portable 243.1k

PS3 beats 360 again last month in North America. Strong PS2, Wii and DS sales!

Yeah but the gap narrowed...
Also, the Wii's diverted supply to Japan for the release of SSBB seems to be over and that game only released here on Sunday so March's NPD numbers should be interesting... Adding to that MS claims supply constraints for Jan+Feb but that they should be alleviated for the release of GTA4 in April.

For March, I expect the PS3 and 360 to be about even at around 275k and the Wii to jump past 500K...possibly even 600k as many gamers have been holding out on buying a Wii until that game came out much like Halo 3 on the 360...

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 13:35:24
#355 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
You were wrong.
The trend for the 360 in early Feb was looking to beat the PS3 again. So yes that trend didn't continue. Microsoft blames a continued lack of product on shelves. Not good. They claim by April they should have the issue resolved and be beating the PS3 again. We'll see if they can.

I was expecting the PS3 would overtake the 360 this year. We're seeing ~50K/wk growth of the PS3 so it might just do.

Microsoft needs 3 things... 1) Stock (duh!) 2) Small price reduction (it hit Europe) and 3) Blu-Ray add-on.

RUMOR -- 360s are rumored to be gaining a 60GB drives on all Premiums and some believe Microsoft is stockpiling the configuration until they have enough to ship in significant numbers. If this is the case April 360 sales will trump the PS3.

Last edited by BrianK on 14-Mar-2008 at 01:37 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 13:57:21
#356 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Ok, fair enough. Uncharted is pretty, and not the worst game ever. It IS entertaining, just not so much 'worth playing the entire game before it gets repetitive and less exciting' for me.

TOD is still a good game, but it doesn't feel nearly as 'next gen' compared to Deadlock as it should, IMO. Deadlocked looks quite good upscaled on the PS3, especially for a PS2 title. I still think gameplay and controls are better on Deadlocked, but I don't regret purchasing TOD.

I just don't put either as 'best games ever.'

I do, however, like both of them much better than Motorstorm. Deadlocked(PS2) > TOD > Uncharted > Motorstorm in my book. Wanted to like Motorstorm, loved the trailers/previews, but it's just not realistic in physics/controls, which is odd, considering how much trouble they went through to make the scenery and vehicles relatively realistic. As an 'arcade type game' (non-realistic), it could fare better, especially as a multi-player or online multi-player, but we'll see what they do for Motorstorm 2.

Motorstorm (1) is in the 'may rent it, won't buy it' category here. Unfortunately, so is Lair - the game I expected to love, until overwhelming poor reviews. I will rent it and give it a shot though anyways, in case tastes differ there.

It's ironic- my favorite game of the year (years) on the PS3 is Oblivion, which is a ported PC game, followed by Deadlocked (PS2 title), Twisted Metal 4 (PS2 title). I suppose my favorite PS3 unique (or PS3/360/non-PC or PS2) title is probably Marvel UA or TOD so far, possibly followed by Folklore (which is sort of like Uncharted - very impressive and fun at first, but then it becomes fairly linear and repetitive).

I'm still waiting for a PS3 title with real replay value in single player mode. Something like COD4 is just WAY too short in single player mode. Oblivion I'll likely play through again, but both are PC titles. TOD I expect I'll play through the Challenge mode, then it will collect dust. The Dark is so-so, and I'm unsure I'll get around to finishing it. Uncharted I'll probably finish at some point, then likely never play through again.

Maybe part of that is the lack of strategy games for the PS3...there just isn't any equivalent to Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander, and it feels like for some games, they focus on 'pretty' (although this is relative, Oblivion on PC is nicer) or MP over length or quality of single player gameplay.

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 14:04:33
#357 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Notice the PS2 continues to beat the PS3...

PlayStation 2 351.8k
PlayStation 3 280.8k

Do you think when the PS4 ships it'll have such troubles against the PS2?

wegster 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 14:10:08
#358 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK
That's sort of unfair. By the same token, the 360 ALSO has problems beating the PS2. Do you think when they do the XBox 720, it will have such troubles against the PS2?

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 14:22:42
#359 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Hey you beat MikeB to it.. Stop that.

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Mar-2008 15:43:39
#360 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
That's sort of unfair
Of course it's unfair that's why the RAZZ symbol. It was a bit of humor

But on a serious note... I do find it interesting to see Microsoft and Nintendo beat their last gen consoles in sales, comparing time since launch. The PS3 neither beats their last gen at either this point since launch nor in current sales. I think MikeB will agree with me that this shows the desireability and market for the PS2, indeed one of the most popular consoles. Simply it behoves Sony to keep making the PS2, it makes them money and that's what companies are all about.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle