Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  6 mins ago
 Birbo:  14 mins ago
 Karlos:  33 mins ago
 Frank:  38 mins ago
 broadblues:  39 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 21 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 19:39:26
#341 ]
Elite Member

http://kotaku.com/5554528/the-20-most+loved-wii-games
Quote:
1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 76:05
2. Animal Crossing - 70:44
3. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 57:15
4. Harvest Moon: Animal Parade - 55:09 (up from the 8th spot)
5. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - 50:57 (down from the 4th spot)
6. Harvest Moon Tree of Tranquility - 50:53
7. Call of Duty: World at War - 50:41 (down from the 5th spot)
8. Rune Factory Frontier - 47:27 (down from the 7th spot)
9. Rock Band 2 - 47:19 (up from the 10th spot)
10. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 47:12 (down from the 9th spot)
11. Lego Star Wars - 45:57
12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition - 45:42
13. WWE Smackdwon vs Raw 2010 - 40:38 (up from the 14th spot)
14. Tales of Symphonia: DotNW - 40:15 (down from the 13th spot)
15. Monster Hunter Tri - 39:56 (*NEW*)
16. Mario Kart Wii - 38:23
17. Wii Sports - 37:58 (down from the 15th spot)
18. Guitar Hero World Tour - 37:00 (down from the 17th spot)
19. FIFA Soccer 09 All-Play - 36:42 (down from the 18th spot)
20. WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 34:57 (down from the 19th spot)

Interesting stats and quite a mix of CORE titles and genres.
I myself own 7 of these titles though my playtime brings these averages down except maybe to Fire Emblem...soon, my Monster Hunter Tri play time exceed that time.

But remember, there are no good core games on the Wii...

Last edited by Lou on 03-Jun-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 03-Jun-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ErikBauer 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 19:52:52
#342 ]

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

I prefer the wireless Dual Shock style controllers to remain the primary controller for the playstation controllers, until at least there's a good virtual reality solution.

What I would love Nintendo to do would be to license future slimmer than PS3 slim technology from Sony and use that as a foundation for their next console. They should still brand it Nintendo for the fanboys, maybe we could have Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD remakes on a single Blu-Ray disc like Sony is doing for some PS2 classics.

Oh come on now MikeB, Nintendo is a leader not a follower. Recall that the Wii is barely larger than 3 DVD cases as it is. Once again Sony was behind the times on the PS3 fatties.

IIRC, the Gamecube was also smaller than the PS2 and Xbox and could also take more of a licking and keep on ticking...

For what it's worth, SMG 1 & 2 already look so smooth that an HD Remix would be a waste of resources...besides an HD remix of that game on the PS3 would probably make for a choppy framerate compared to the silky smooth 60fps most Wii games run at.

Better to concentrate on the fully native Legend of Zelda Wii game that will be shown at E3 that will outsell Uncharted 2 in the 3rd person action game genre despite not being 'hd' and will last longer than 6 hours...if not 20+.

Uh, RIGHT! There will be the official annoncement + teaser of the new Zelda!!! Can't wait to put my hands on it (Being Twilight Princess and Wind Waker 2 of the best games ever).

20+Hours? You joking? It took me and my wife more than 66 Hours to finish Twilight Princess and we did not complete ALL of the side quests!

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 20:05:30
#343 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

There's not much technology inside the Wii from a modern day perspective, so I always agreed it was small and cute. I suggested the PS3 technology as I hope their next console will be more powerful.

The God of War 1 and 2 remakes run at 60 FPS high defintion rendering and anti-aliasing on the PS3. Even Eurogamer was very impressed by the PS3 remake and it took Bluepoint only 15 weeks to accomplish.

It shouldn't be much of a problem technically as the focuss is rather on the art direction, they would not have to redo all the art with higher detail (Mario 64 also still looks good with its graphics lacking detail, but it's a cartoon experience not something that has to look realistic), just make a much cleaner image for HDTV.

Lou 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 20:07:42
#344 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:

ErikBauer wrote:
@Lou

20+Hours? You joking? It took me and my wife more than 66 Hours to finish Twilight Princess and we did not complete ALL of the side quests!

Well, I actually expect the disc to be packed with more production values (since it's a full Wii game instead of 1.4GB Gamecube port) and from what I hear, they are changing the 'dungeon'-style. So I expect richer action and story with less time spent running back and forth to unlock new areas.

Lou 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 20:17:12
#345 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

There's not much technology inside the Wii from a modern day perspective, so I always agreed it was small and cute. I suggested the PS3 technology as I hope their next console will be more powerful.

The God of War 1 and 2 remakes run at 60 FPS high defintion rendering and anti-aliasing on the PS3. Even Eurogamer was very impressed by the PS3 remake and it took Bluepoint only 15 weeks to accomplish.

It shouldn't be much of a problem technically as the focuss is rather on the art direction, they would not have to redo all the art with higher detail (Mario 64 also still looks good with its graphics lacking detail, but it's a cartoon experience not something that has to look realistic), just make a much cleaner image for HDTV.

GoW1&2 wasn't a fully 3D rendered game on the PS2. It was 2.5D with pre-rendered sprites like Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. The presentation was nice but other than the name the PS2 games share nothing with the PS3 game technically speaking.

I'm not familiar with the remakes. If they were direct ports with higher-res textures, then again the game engines share nothing in common with the PS3 GoW3 so 60fps should have been trivial to a 2.5D game.

Oh, and yes MikeB, we know the Wii is just a GC with extra memory, a 1.5x clock increase, wifi and bluetooth along with built-in 512MB of flash... Most of the R&D went into the Wii Remote. That said, the disc drive is the only slot-loading drive that I've seen that accepts both 3" discs and 5" discs.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 20:34:21
#346 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

The God of War games use a true 3D graphics engine, you just don't have manual camera control.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the remakes. If they were direct ports with higher-res textures

No most of the art remained exactly the same. Anyway we don't want to see Mario in detail with pimpels and rimples, veins on mushrooms or bulging muscles on Yoshi like people want with a game like God of War game, so it's probably more suitable for an easy remake.

Lou 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 20:41:03
#347 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

The God of War games use a true 3D graphics engine, you just don't have manual camera control.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the remakes. If they were direct ports with higher-res textures

No most of the art remained exactly the same. Anyway we don't want to see Mario in detail with pimpels and rimples, veins on mushrooms or bulging muscles on Yoshi like people want with a game like God of War game, so it's probably more suitable for an easy remake.

In the footage I saw of GoW (I forget if it was 1 or 2) the main character moved in only 8 pre-rendered directions along a 2.5D plane. There was background animation happening that sometimes came ontop of the fore-ground (which was probably rendered in full 3D). The enemies moved on a 2.5D plane and only had left and right animations like old-school Double Dragon.

GoW 1&2 used the pre-rendered sprites for 2.5d shortcut for the main action with a 3D animation for the background that sometimes spilled to the foreground action. It was not a fully 3D rendered game. That's why the camera was fixed.

MikeB 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 20:47:47
#348 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Look better, there's plenty of God of War footage around, the dynamic camera very regularly moves around kratos and the scene, hence by definition it's not a fixed camera angle.

Lou 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 21:11:42
#349 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Look better, there's plenty of God of War footage around, the dynamic camera very regularly moves around kratos and the scene, hence by definition it's not a fixed camera angle.

Yea, I must be thinking of something else.

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Jun-2010 23:19:20
#350 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Anyway we don't want to see Mario in detail
Princess Peach from Super Mario Strikers...

@Thread

D8 is currently going. Project NATAL was shown with the standard ball demo game. Microsoft reconfirmed the big news surrounding the NATAL will come at E3.

Lou 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 0:59:49
#351 ]
Elite Member

http://kotaku.com/5554809/dead-space-extraction-hd-guiding-its-way-to-ps3-xbox-360

Dead Space: Extraction HD coming to XBLA and PSN for $15 but Wii owners had to shell out $50 for the SD version...hmmm....

Last edited by Lou on 04-Jun-2010 at 03:47 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 6:24:48
#352 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Princess Peach from Super Mario Strikers...

Not exactly Madison Paige now is she?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKMrszypCI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPOpKRZJrU

I had to choose between getting a trophy or let her take off all her clothes (decisions, decisions,...), if you let her dance for a while longer (second video) you get better camera angles.

BTW, this game is said to get PS Move support.

Last edited by MikeB on 04-Jun-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 04-Jun-2010 at 06:25 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 9:44:03
#353 ]
Elite Member

Interesting according to Media Create despite a strong debut for Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii, PS3 units sales again kept ahead of the Wii! This while virtually nothing of interest was released for the PS3.

Unexpected! (Not that the PS3 outsells the Wii at this stage for Japan, but that it would continue to do so upon Super Mario Galaxy 2's release!)

Lou 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 14:10:55
#354 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Interesting according to Media Create despite a strong debut for Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii, PS3 units sales again kept ahead of the Wii! This while virtually nothing of interest was released for the PS3.

Unexpected! (Not that the PS3 outsells the Wii at this stage for Japan, but that it would continue to do so upon Super Mario Galaxy 2's release!)

But everyone in Japan already owns a Wii...and it's not like they break...

The interesting part of all this is that SMG2 released in June, not November. That means they have something more interesting for the holidays... Now that is indeed interesting...

BigD 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 14:21:01
#355 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

They'll be using their Wii as a door stop shortly as their at least 1 year ahead of us in tech, it's obvious even with the Wiimote+ the Wii has had its day!

MikeB 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 14:55:58
#356 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Well the PS2 sold 2 to 3 times as much hardware for Japan so far compared to the Wii, I think the SD video/gaming era is just slowly coming to its closure for Japan. Japan usually leads such trends compared to the rest of the world.

Lou 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 15:24:47
#357 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Well the PS2 sold 2 to 3 times as much hardware for Japan so far compared to the Wii, I think the SD video/gaming era is just slowly coming to its closure for Japan. Japan usually leads such trends compared to the rest of the world.

When you factor in the reliability of the PS2 necessitating the same people buying new ones to replace their dead ones, I'd say the Wii leads by a good 50% of actual users using working hardware.

If you don't believe me, simply look at how much the top selling games actually sell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

When I was selling mod tools on my former site prior to the Wii launch (gameparts.biz, now defunct) I almost started stocking replacement PS2 drive assemblies but the competition was too stiff and the profits razor thin. You can still find them all over ebay for the .1% of people willing to open up their own console.

Last edited by Lou on 04-Jun-2010 at 03:27 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 15:43:10
#358 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

If you are talking total software sales as an indication, the PS2 sold way more software despite some software on the Wii (mainly Nintendo's own games, some of which bundled with the Wii) sold relatively well compared to the bulk of games.

I also don't think people just throw away their PS2s just like that. The most common failure was a small one, a loose screw which is easily fixed. For people who own(ed) a XBox 360 and had to go through more than 10 cricital hardware failures (as there have been various reports) I can imagine someone being so fed up with the console he or she throws it away.

Currently the PS2 still thrives on the second hand games market. You can buy PS2 classics here starting at 2.5 Euros. After you're done with them you take them back and get 1 euro in return and buy some more.

The Wii is the most reliable compared to the PS3 and XBox 360, but honestly there's not that much in the console to fail. I can imagine there have been many broken Wii-motes though.

Lou 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 16:30:03
#359 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

If you are talking total software sales as an indication, the PS2 sold way more software despite some software on the Wii (mainly Nintendo's own games, some of which bundled with the Wii) sold relatively well compared to the bulk of games.

I also don't think people just throw away their PS2s just like that. The most common failure was a small one, a loose screw which is easily fixed. For people who own(ed) a XBox 360 and had to go through more than 10 cricital hardware failures (as there have been various reports) I can imagine someone being so fed up with the console he or she throws it away.

Currently the PS2 still thrives on the second hand games market. You can buy PS2 classics here starting at 2.5 Euros. After you're done with them you take them back and get 1 euro in return and buy some more.

The Wii is the most reliable compared to the PS3 and XBox 360, but honestly there's not that much in the console to fail. I can imagine there have been many broken Wii-motes though.

MikeB,
WiiFit cost what $90 and that is selling at 22M+ in sales. The Wii destroys the PS2 in sales with regards to the top 10 titles. What's even more amazing is that the Wii is current and still sell so that gap will only widen.

PS2 had it's share of bundled games packages as does the PS3. So that's almost a mute point. Even taking WiiSports out of the equation, it's not close. Also, the PS2 has enjoyed it's $99 hardware price...something the Wii hasn't done yet and that also did spur some people who had given up on the PS2 merry-hardware-go-round to purchase another.

If you look at the top 20 all time console game titles, several for the Wii are at 14M+ and are continuing to sell and will almost definitely outsell the #1 PS2 title on that list (besides the ones that already have outsold the #1 PS2 title).

MikeB 
Posted on 4-Jun-2010 16:50:29
#360 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Wii Fit seems to have been a hype amongst especially women, but I don't think this market segment is per se the market segment that buys many games in addition compared to a 'hardcore gamer', lacking for a better term to describe the obvious difference I am referring to.

What you often read about was impulsive hyped buys of a Wii and then the enthusiasm wears off quickly. Not saying that's not great for Nintendo business.

Actually in the past as a teen owning Nintendo consoles I also only bought Nintendo games for those consoles, with Super Mario World and Mario 64 actually having been the only reasons to buy those consoles in the first place. In hindsight I was a much better c64 and Amiga customer.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle