Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Kronos,  saimo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  8 secs ago
 Kronos:  25 secs ago
 retrofaza:  6 mins ago
 MagicSN:  12 mins ago
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 michalsc:  22 mins ago
 pixie:  37 mins ago
 Karlos:  48 mins ago
 matthey:  54 mins ago
 pavlor:  58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
wegster 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 6-May-2009 1:30:18
#361 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Regarding sales, IMO that's not the most important aspect from the consumer perspective. Outselling the PS1 as is currently stil the case would IMO certainly be a great achievement for a high spec console.

Except of course, games go to the *winning* consoles with a larger install base. PS3 is 3rd out of 3. Hardly an achievement there, and a net loss to consumers, into a win, regardless of your spin on it.

Quote:

There will always be people who prefer something solid in their hands coming supplied in a nice box (of course most retailers and rental store services will put their power behind this), the alternatives should IMO be looked at as value add for owning a HDTV. Like Aminet didn't near completely kill disk based Amiga software development (that was due to the Commodore bankruptcy and piracy).

Actually commercial Amiga software development could benefit from Aminet, through game demos and downloadable additional (such as user created) content. Similarly the internet benefits Blu-Ray as well with added functionality, or for example through Playstation Pulse or Playstation Qore on the PSN.

Commercial development? For Amiga? A bit late on that boat, Mike, although I agree with the general idea (downloadable demos for free, easily found/downloaded), but that's hardly unique to PS3, either.

Quote:
Regarding DVR, I think this should be applauded, just like other alternatives (also supported by the PS3).

Except, they're not. The 360 allows NetFlix streaming, at no additional cost over a basic NetFlix subscription. Sony remains arrogant and overpriced with their own on demand service. I've bought a Roku player at *additional* cost to do what 360 users can do essentially for free. 'Media center of the living room'? Fail, at least for mine.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 6-May-2009 9:44:48
#362 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
Except of course, games go to the *winning* consoles with a larger install base.

Not really, Sony published games will not hit the Wii or XBox. The same is true for Nintendo and Microsoft published games.

Regarding 3rd parties, all the 360's best sold games have been ported to the PS3 (except for that Zombie game from Valve, but that company is run by a former Microsoft employee spreading FUD about the PS3).

Various big multi-platform companies are reporting (just recently Ubisoft) that they generate more money on Sony's PS3 console than on the 360 or Wii.

The Wii is the best sold console so far and suffers from bad 3rd party support, lots of shovelware. Many devs state PC + PS3 + 360 >> Wii (which requires an entirely different approach)

Last edited by MikeB on 06-May-2009 at 09:46 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-May-2009 21:08:01
#363 ]
Elite Member

@ Lou

A new exclusive Wii game has been announced, from the makers of one of the most successful 3rd party games "Carnaval Games" which sold 4 million:

2K announced "It's my Birthday" for the Wii.

"2K Play, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced It’s My Birthday, an innovative game exclusively for the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo, that will bring back the traditional birthday party to living rooms across the nation this June. It’s My Birthday gives savvy mums and dads a complete “Party-in-a-Box” to throw the best next-generation birthday party for their kids, including themed games, invitations, banners, colouring sheets and a birthday crown – blue for boys, pink for girls!

“Getting older is about to become a lot more fun!” said Steve Lux, vice president of business development for 2K Play. “With It’s My Birthday, we deliver the ultimate home birthday party experience – from new twists on classic games to customized themes. We’re excited to give kids the gift of great memories and offer parents meaningful value.”

Up to 12 party goers can join in the festivities as they whack, roll, splash, pop, scribble, climb, jump, and shimmy their way through more than 20 birthday games, including Pin The Tail On The Donkey, Sack Race, Musical Chairs and Cake Stacker. The birthday boy or girl can also choose from ten party theme rooms to set the scene for an unforgettable bash, from “Pirates,” complete with sword and treasure chest, to “Princess,” with a royal castle, a fancy crown and unicorn. When it’s time to break for cake, a lively rendition of the traditional “Happy Birthday” song will play for everyone to sing along in karaoke-style, with a virtual cake on screen.

It’s My Birthday was developed by 2K’s Cat Daddy Games studio, the creators of the highly successful Carnival Games franchise, which has sold over four million copies to date. It’s My Birthday will be available at retailers nationwide in June 2009 for the suggested retail price of £19.99 and is rated 3+ by PEGI."

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/elgefe02/imb_room_theme_glamour_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/elgefe02/draft_pinata_pic_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg

Congratz!

Mod note:
As per TOS image embeds that are this large are not allowed. I've chanegd them to links. If you wish to embed them please reduce them in size as per below. Thanks!

Images in threads: Images embedded in threads should be no wider than 640 pixels, larger images should be hyperlinked.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 06-May-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 06-May-2009 at 09:08 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 7-May-2009 3:13:03
#364 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Wii shovelware is good.

Lou 
Posted on 7-May-2009 12:18:14
#365 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I'll be sure to pick it up for my non-existent child!

Be sure to pick these up for your hypothetical daughter:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1241695001/ref=sr_nr_n_2?ie=UTF8&rs=14210751&bbn=471306&rnid=14210751&rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A%2144263011%2Cn%3A471306%2Cn%3A14210751%2Cn%3A14210851

especially Hail to the Chimp!

Lou 
Posted on 7-May-2009 12:50:08
#366 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Wii has 54 titles that have sold over 1,000,000 copies.

Amazing how many games kids buy these days...and I didn't know Nintendo published 54 Wii titles...cuz....you know...3rd parties can't sell games on the Wii, right MikeB?

http://www.edge-online.com/news/54-wii-titles-now-million-sellers

Last edited by Lou on 07-May-2009 at 05:29 PM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 7-May-2009 12:56:20
#367 ]

@Lou

Nintendo reports of last fiscal year

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/07/nintendo-reports-fiscal-year-sales-of-1-83-trillion-yen/

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Lou 
Posted on 7-May-2009 19:03:43
#368 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@ErikBauer

Use http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/firmware-updater-40 to update the channels and firmware without any of the blocks. :)

I finally ran this last night and it worked great.
Took about 1/2 hour to finish. It downloads everything first then goes back and installs.

I was browsing on the new WiiShop channel and picked up the new System Menu as well. Downloading from the new WiiShop channel supports downloading straight to SD card.

Who needs a hard drive anyway? 16GB SDHC card is $40 and will only go down.

MikeB 
Posted on 7-May-2009 19:16:31
#369 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I'll be sure to pick it up for my non-existent child!

I rather buy her or him a Wii.

Lou 
Posted on 7-May-2009 20:28:41
#370 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Re: PC gaming:
Quote:
EA has been making a killing in the PC space (unlike its performance with music-based games), the company revealed during its recent financial earnings report. Shacknews reports that EA has seen profits from digital distribution on the PC platform double over last year to $80 million, whereas the company's digital distribution revenue on the whole has generated $400 million for the company this fiscal year.

CFO Eric Brown says EA's online business is growing at a phenomenal rate, "as much as 60% year over year." As such, EA says "the PC is becoming the largest gaming platform in the world," prompting the company to focus accordingly.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/07/ea-pc-becoming-biggest-platform-digital-distribution-profits-d/

...and they aren't the ones who sell World of Warcraft...

BrianK 
Posted on 8-May-2009 13:49:28
#371 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I rather buy her or him a Wii.
Why not spend that $200 on 4 children's games for the PS3 you already own? My kid has his own PS3 and 360 controller for example. My soon to be 3 year old recently kicked the butt of some 7 year olds in Viva Pinata: Party Animals.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-May-2009 16:14:33
#372 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

I feel few PSN games like Magic Ball, Super Ruba Dub and PuzzleFighter should be enough.

The Wii is cute and small and would IMO be a perfect with a small SDTV in a kid's bedroom. A nice control system. The Wii has so many cute cartoony games available for it, a nice fit for 6 year olds and up (I won't buy one without being asked for one, as I prefer kids to play with dolls, car models, LEGO, board games and such at home). For boys 11 and upwards maybe a PS2 instead, it's cheap and there are lots of cheap games, it can be handled without too much care.

Maybe I would even get a second hand Snes instead (sturdy cartridges!), Super Mario World is still a lot of fun (but I understand they may want something other kids play on as well).

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 8-May-2009 18:07:09
#373 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

So what would be the minimum age in your household that someone could touch your PS3?

Amiga 1200

MikeB 
Posted on 8-May-2009 21:39:13
#374 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

I guess 5 or so for playing some simple games under guidance, less for watching animated movies though (age depending on the content). In any case I put in the disc for small kids and will make sure they are able to hold the controller properly.

Anything lower I would certainly suggest Chicken Cha Cha Cha instead.

MikeB 
Posted on 9-May-2009 17:32:54
#375 ]
Elite Member

I tried the Siren: Blood Curse Playstation Home "Ward of Despair" mission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MTivCpUTw

Apart from the horrible waiting times (too crowded) I liked it a lot. I got killed though before completing the mission.

IMO the Xii adventure should have elements more like these in this future.

Probably the waiting times will improve, the racing game at the EA Sports complex had bad waiting times as well, now it's a lot better (the golf section is still closed though). I truly am of the opinion Playstation Home is good free value add. Still some early illnesses to deal with like Home still needing a patch to unlock the Singstar trophy content I earned.

I already unlocked all the clothes and appartement trophies for the Bowling alley arcade games.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-May-2009 13:51:00
#376 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Technology moves. I still see Blu-Ray as the last hurrah of a physical format.

I expect full quality streaming to be worldwide feasible around 2016-2020, but I expect Blu-Ray to stick around till then as well as an alternative.

I think it would be cool though if the by then considerably slimmed down PS3 with huge harddrive would be indirectly PS4 compatible. If everything goes smooth with regard to internet progress worldwide, Sony may not need to actually release a PS4 onto the general consumer market, the PS3 (maybe with faster built-in Wi-Fi) could do just fine with a firmware update.

For example, I imagine a small game specific input/control/image enhance (SPE usage similar as the Toshiba scaling chip, amount of scaling required depending on internet bandwidth) engine to be executed on the PS3. The actual heavy game processing would be done by remote Sony Cell clusters, results to be streamed back to the PS3. Maybe the settings could be made scaleable, so if there are bandwidth constraints, consumers can pick between optimised setting for image quality (highest bitrate, least local post-processing) and performance (lower bitrate, lots of local post processing).

MikeB 
Posted on 10-May-2009 15:08:01
#377 ]
Elite Member

A great InFamous interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49085.html

People who got the demo early say:

- Awesome gamplay
- Great level design
- Good graphics, but assets and graphics technology could be done better. Sucker Punch devs already stated that they look up to Naughty Dog in this regard (stating they are faster and better), maybe they could help with an InFamous 2 some day, so that everything can be great to awesome!

Lou 
Posted on 11-May-2009 13:43:54
#378 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-ceo-talks-ps3%E2%80%99s-evolution

Reading that, I wonder if Sony will release a BR drive-less PS3 hardware and dub it something like Sony Media Station to allow PSN only games to be downloaded and played.

MikeB 
Posted on 11-May-2009 20:47:28
#379 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Although Sony has patents filed regarding cloud gaming, I very much doubt that.

Retailers make most of the money from games sales regarding the PS3, that may mean many retailers would stop selling the PS3. Backwards and current PS3 disc compatibility as well as Blu-Ray movie support I think are very important to Sony for the long run.

I think they will continue the road they are already on, further improve the support of Blu-Ray disc as well as expand online functionality like they were already doing.

Last edited by MikeB on 11-May-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 12-May-2009 11:46:34
#380 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Although Sony has patents filed regarding cloud gaming, I very much doubt that.

Retailers make most of the money from games sales regarding the PS3, that may mean many retailers would stop selling the PS3. Backwards and current PS3 disc compatibility as well as Blu-Ray movie support I think are very important to Sony for the long run.

I think they will continue the road they are already on, further improve the support of Blu-Ray disc as well as expand online functionality like they were already doing.

Urrr uhmmm..

Quote:
stated Stringer. "Next we will be expanding the PlayStation Network to hardware other than the PS3, because the number of PS3 units sold puts a limit on the scale of the network possible."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle